PDA

View Full Version : My first white blaze!!!

coaster
06-01-2003, 00:27
After all the planning ive done I finally set foot on the AT!!! My fiance and I drove up into NH for a drive on the kanc. I was driving and she was navigating. "you know the AT is only 5 miles from here" she says. About 3 minutes later im in the parking lot just past flume gorge. I practically run the blue blazes till finally we come to a bridge/bike path with white blazes on it! I cant believe the emotions that I felt, all this planning and there it is- a white blaze! I only took about 50 steps on the trail, saving the rest for next year. This sounds silly, im gonna post it anyway. If anyone is having the planning blues, just take the time and go see a white blaze-your planning will get a boost! Thanks for reading my babble!

asmtroop3
06-01-2003, 06:59
Being reletively new to the AT, I can relate to the emotions.
Almost no one else in my family shares them.

That is why I guess there are forums.

I live right next to the blue hills.
Although the grandure of the Berks or the whites is not here,
there are plenty of trails and a few small summits to get me through to the next section of the AT. The silliness you mention is the stuff that drives us to take advantage of our environment in ways most others will never know.

See ya in the woods

angie
06-01-2003, 09:04
I too, can relate to your emotions. I live in Vt and many times in my travels I'm driving down a road and there is an AT crossing. I'll yell out, "I'm going to crossing here next year" . Everyone in the car thinks I'm nuts to even think about doing the whole AT, but only the ones who have the dream feel these emotions and know its not a foolish dream.
See you out there next year!

TJ aka Teej
06-01-2003, 10:48
Originally posted by coaster
I practically run the blue blazes till finally we come to a bridge/bike path with white blazes on it! I cant believe the emotions that I felt, all this planning and there it is- a white blaze!

Congrats, coaster! :banana

Kerosene
06-01-2003, 11:21
Hey, I've done well over 1,000 miles on the AT and LT and I always know when I'm close to an AT crossing, letting everyone around me know what it's like there. My family is having a reunion in Killington, Vermont this July (I'm in Michigan) and I'm most excited about retracing some of the memorable Long Trail sections I walked in '79. Even better, I'll get a chance spend a day filling in a 16-mile gap in my contiguous AT mileage over Smarts and Cube mountains in western New Hampshire. My family thinks it's amusing that I get so excited by this stuff.