PDA

View Full Version : Legal Peeves and Praises

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 13:52
This thread is related to "Backpacker's Law", the new thread in "Straight Forward." It is intended for:

1) Personal comments, whether in praise or attack, relating to legal issues;
2) Accounts or arguments regarding personal rules of morality, regarding how people deal with complying/avoiding/breaking the law while backpacking;
3) Debates about the advisability of violating the law;
4) Debates about whether the law makes sense or needs to be changed;
5) Personal opinions about people in law, whether lawyers, judges, LEOs, lawmakers, or even the voters of a particular state;
6) Requests for the resumes of the posters on the other thread; and
7) Anecdotal evidence of people who have found ways to circumvent the law.
8) Anything else someone feels the need to post.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
12-06-2006, 14:03
Very good counselor. I'll stay out of the Straight Forward forum as long as the usual suspects do also, unless I have a direct ? or answer.:)

Lone Wolf
12-06-2006, 16:15
There's more rules and regs on that Q & A law thread than there are for this whole website. :rolleyes:

The Old Fhart
12-06-2006, 16:19
Hey, Lone Wolf, does this thread remind you of the cartoon of the suggestion box that is right over the waste basket?;)

Lone Wolf
12-06-2006, 16:41
An extreme few here on Whiteblaze have legal questions in regard to backpacking. There doesn't need to be a special thread run by an anal lawyer who resides on the left coast who wants to have sole control of a thread to show how bright he is. He needs a website of his own where his followers can consult him. Let's go hikin'!:)

Nean
12-06-2006, 16:41
In all fairness:-?, if we were all lawyers :eek:, we might think like The Weasel!:eek: :p

Nean
12-06-2006, 16:43
An extreme few here on Whiteblaze have legal questions in regard to backpacking. There doesn't need to be a special thread run by an anal lawyer who resides on the left coast who wants to have sole control of a thread to show how bright he is. He needs a website of his own where his followers can consult him. Let's go hikin'!:)

JHC, this might be the longest post EVER by LW!!:eek: :D

ed bell
12-06-2006, 17:30
JHC, this might be the longest post EVER by LW!!:eek: :DMost certainly the longest one I remember. I imagine a very short one is comming soon.:D;)

Skidsteer
12-06-2006, 17:49
I'm surprised Alligator hasn't started a thread in the humor forum as a parody of The Weasel's thread. If it were modeled after this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10929&highlight=goat+answers) by the goat, that would be some funny stuff.

D'Artagnan
12-06-2006, 17:49
HAMLET.

There's another: Why may not that be the skull of a lawyer? Where be his quiddits now, his quillets, his cases, his tenures, and his tricks? Why does he suffer this rude knave now to knock him about the sconce with a dirty shovel, and will not tell him of his action of battery? Hum! This fellow might be in's time a great buyer of land, with his statutes, his recognizances, his fines, his double vouchers, his recoveries: Is this the fine of his fines, and the recovery of his recoveries, to have his fine pate full of fine dirt? Will his vouchers vouch him no more of his purchases, and double ones too, than the length and breadth of a pair of indentures? The very conveyances of his lands will hardly lie in this box; and must the inheritor himself have no more, ha?

HAMLET
Act 5, Scene 1

Ol' Will wasn't too fond of lawyers apparently. :rolleyes:

Blue Jay
12-06-2006, 17:54
There doesn't need to be a special thread run by an anal lawyer who resides on the left coast who wants to have sole control of a thread to show how bright he is.

What do you all expect? He may be The Weasel but he's still A Weasel. Met hundreds of them over the years. Almost married one (oh the horror). It's a disease, they simply cannot help it. As long as you're not paying they are amusing.

woodsy
12-06-2006, 18:00
In response to the other new thread on laws, Q&A, I think many of us came to enjoy backpacking/hiking because we don't like rules and laws . And there are not many places on the AT or other trails where we have to deal with laws, LEO's and lawyers.....three cheers and hallelujah! And furthermore, I,ll be carrying whatever length knife blade that I feel comfortable with, not the size someone sitting in their easy chair and in the comfort of their 4 walls thinks I should be carrying, So there.

woodsy
12-06-2006, 18:16
I posted this link: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=weasel on Laws 101 and " Officials" and it was deleted shortly thereafter. :mad:
I found it entertaining:) Whata y'all think?

Jack Tarlin
12-06-2006, 18:21
It's always funny to see people dump on lawyers......until, of course, they need one, which sooner or later, just about everyone does.

In that case, asuming the matter is brought to a sucessful conclusion, people speak about their attorneys as tho they were saints.

Same thing with cops.

Easy to bitch about them til you need their help.

Then they're a Godsend.

Think about it, Nean.

Lone Wolf
12-06-2006, 18:22
Kiss ass!:cool:

Jack Tarlin
12-06-2006, 18:28
Actually, Wolf, it has nothing to do with Weasel.

I have friends and family members who are lawyers. I've heard every lawyer joke in the world.

Everyone dumps on the profession, til they need one......whether it's suing a crooked contractor; buying a business or piece of property; making a will;
ending a marriage; whatever the hell it is, sooner or later, just about EVERYONE needs a good lawyer, and when they do, they won't be bitching about what a horrible profession it is.

When someone's in a jam, they'll thank God for a good attorney, and if he does his job, they'll kiss his ass happily.

Including L.Wolf.

Bravo
12-06-2006, 19:55
Ever seen a Wolf Kiss a Weasel?:D

Frosty
12-06-2006, 20:00
Everyone dumps on the profession, til they need one......whether it's suing a crooked contractor; buying a business or piece of property; making a will;
ending a marriage; whatever the hell it is, sooner or later, just about EVERYONE needs a good lawyer, and when they do, they won't be bitching about what a horrible profession it is.

When someone's in a jam, they'll thank God for a good attorney, and if he does his job, they'll kiss his ass happily.What? Do you kiss the ass of everyone you hire to do a job if he does a good job? Your plumber must love to get calls from you. :D

Lawyers are made necessary by lawyers. I've used them for some of the things you mentioned. I didn't thank God for him, and didn't kiss his ass. i paid him as I'd pay anyone I hired to do a job.

There are indeed some conscientious lawyers. Lawyers who have made a difference in the world, lawyers who will not take a case where the client is not trying for redress or justice but to acquire something for which they have no moral right but have a legal loophole or law or whatever. But for the most part it is hard to respect a profession whose job it is to lie. Lawyers are not looking for the truth, they are looking to win. The lawyers we make fun of are the ones who will take a case if it is winnable, even if they know their client is lying. Lying is meaningless to some lawyers. What looks best for the client is what they say, true or not.

If the country were set up so that we could deal in the courts without lawyers, I would be happy and not use one. But the system is stacked agaisnt anyone who tries (by lawyers). Courts deal in law, unfortunately, not justice. You may have the truth and moral right on your side, but if when communicating to the judge you use the wrong word, you are doomed to lose. You need lawyers so that other people can't use the system to cheat you.

An example: When I was a Scoutmaster, my assistant scoutmaster was a lawyer. Nice guy. Regular guy. Certainly not the type of guy you thnk of when you think lawyer. Not a high profile lawyer, but that is to his credit IMO. Helped me a lot one time. I had the official scout waiver form which said that if a scout were injured, I would bring him to a medical facility as soon as possible.

He pointed out that that was a way to get sued. What if the kid were hurt and their was a doctor at the trailhead. If we let the doctor treat the kid, we would be liable because we said we would take him to a medical facility. We could be sued. On the other hand, if we brought the kid to a medical facility we were liable because we didn't use good judgment and let the doctor look at the kid.

He changed to from to say we would use good (not our best) judgment taking into consideration the well being of the other scouts. That was 'slippery' enough, he said, that we couldn't be sued for trying to do the right thing.

So did I need a lawyer. Yes. Why? To protect me from other lawyers. What he did was potentially (I never had a problem) save me from the lawyers and law I despise. The ones who even though they know the scout leaders did the best thing possible at the time still find a way to sue based on wording of an agreement.

If the courts weren't set up to permit this sue-you-if-you-do, sue-you-if-you-don't BS, I wouldn't have needed a lawyer to begin with. (I didn't kiss his ass, either, jsut because he did a good job. Against official Boy Scout policy to have leaders do that sort of thing.)

It is good of you to stick up for your lawyer friends. I'm sure they are as honest as my Assistant Scoutmaster. The lawyers we are mocking are the ones who would sue you because their client came onto your property without permission, perhaps even for illegal purposes, but tripped over some lumber you were using to build a deck.

Lone Wolf
12-06-2006, 20:02
Ever seen a Wolf Kiss a Weasel?:D

Wolves just swat weasels aside. They're an inferior species.

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 20:08
So did I need a lawyer. Yes. Why? To protect me from other lawyers. What he did was potentially (I never had a problem) save me from the lawyers and law I despise.

No, you needed a lawyer to protect you from promising to do something that you didn't understand the implications of. If you despise the law, write your legislator and tell her. She's probably not a lawyer, either, but she's the one who's responsible.

No one needs protection from lawyers. A lot of people need protection from government. Lawyers provide the skill to do that.

Next time you get a lawyer as an Assistant Scoutmaster, tell her you'd rather just take chances and be ignorant of the risk. Of course, that's probably foolish, but you'll feel so much better. Oh. Cancel your insurance. If you haven't had any claims, you probably won't. Same thing. Don't worry. Nothing can happen. Right?

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
12-06-2006, 20:12
No one needs protection from lawyers?

Geez, I know a few physicians who'd disagree with you.....you really don't wanna know what he pays out for malpractice insurance.

Like any other profession, there are good lawyers and bad ones, saints and scoundrels.

My point was that people tend to rip on them all the time....til they need one.

Then for some strange reason, the criticism stops.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

Skidsteer
12-06-2006, 20:26
No, you needed a lawyer to protect you from promising to do something that you didn't understand the implications of.
The Weasel

I disagree.

Frosty needed a lawyer to protect himself from other lawyers.

ed bell
12-06-2006, 20:51
My point was that people tend to rip on them all the time....til they need one.

Then for some strange reason, the criticism stops.

Go figure. :rolleyes:Yeah, poor, misunderstood lawyers deserve our empathy.:rolleyes: I'll bet if I was paying $100+ an hour to one I could sit in their office and tell every lawyer joke I know and they would never quit smiling, or laughing. (all the way to the bank) I wonder how long until I read a poor-mouthing post.:-? BTW, Last week I retained the services of a real-estate lawyer. He was a total professional. I was a satisfied cutomer.:sun

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 21:19
Yeah, poor, misunderstood lawyers deserve our empathy.:rolleyes: I'll bet if I was paying $100+ an hour to one I could sit in their office and tell every lawyer joke I know and they would never quit smiling, or laughing. (all the way to the bank) I wonder how long until I read a poor-mouthing post.:-? BTW, Last week I retained the services of a real-estate lawyer. He was a total professional. I was a satisfied cutomer.:sun

No, Ed. I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm also sorry that despite my efforts to try to give useful information, as accurately as possible, for free, you and so many others here have spent so much time insulting me, disparaging my profession - which I, and thousands of others engage in every bit as honorably and diligently as I am sure you do with yours - and trying to be as nasty as they can, usually anonymously (and thank you for using your name, and also the few others who either do so as well - yes, Jack, particularly you! - or who make their names apparent in their Profile).

How shall I say it? It's cheap, and nasty, when someone tries to help - and that's what I have done, and spent no few hours doing so (again, I note, for free, without any attempt to make a buck on it) -to have someone like you with your whiny bitching about my profession.

So go ahead and spout off. Insult people. Insult their jobs. Insult their best efforts, when they fall short of the perfection you want in your snotty little self-centered way. Keep it up. I'm sure it gives you some kind of sick pleasure. When you deny that, if you do, just remember: There are a lot of other people - including lawyers here, and people in other professions - that read your scum and say, "I don't need that kind of crap. I'll just shut up." And then you'll have accomplished something, won't you? You'll have shown you can terrorize and intimidate and get away with it.

So go ahead, all of you, who live in the same septic tank: Keep it up. But at the end of the day, no matter what you think, you sicken a lot of people with it.

This isn't a statement of law, by the way. And Ed? I charge a ton more to people than your cheap little offer. And they pay it, and get what they pay for.

The Weasel

rickb
12-06-2006, 21:31
Like they say, be careful what you ask for, This thread was intended for:

5) Personal opinions about people in law, whether lawyers, judges, LEOs, lawmakers, or even the voters of a particular state;

I got to say I don't have anything against lawyers as a class. The trick is to get a good one. For every lawyer that wins his case, another loses.

Basically, we are talking about a profession with a 50% failure rate!

(Just kidding. A good attorney will keep you out of trouble, and empower you or your business to take and manage all kids of risk)

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 21:52
The trick is to get a good one. For every lawyer that wins his case, another loses.

Basically, we are talking about a profession with a 50% failure rate!
(Just kidding. A good attorney will keep you out of trouble, and empower you or your business to take and manage all kids of risk)

No, we're talking about clients who lose, and usually, because they deserve to. That's why good lawyers help even their losing clients to settle cases, often on 'win-win' bases. Highly talented ER doctors sometimes "lose one," but that's part of their profession, too.

No litigator I know is a "good loser" in the sense that she or he likes it, or accepts it. But even the best can't win cases that are losers, even though once in a while we get lucky and the other side schleps along and let's it happen.

The Weasel

bullseye
12-06-2006, 22:01
I for one would like to apologize for my thoughts on your thread. I must admit that I read through while trying to come up with something "clever" to add to the ensuing avalanche of decay, until it hit me that the reason I only sign on to Whiteblaze occasionally is because of just this sort of thing. I have seen this sort of rude behavior time and time again, and will not be a part of it. I spent the early part of my life handing out snide comments and "snappy comebacks", but I am trying to rise above this sort of behavior. Kudos on trying to help the knuckleheads here. They would much rather pay for services and complain than have something good to say about, gasp:eek: , a lawyer.

PS

If my post bothers you I'm probably talking about you.

ed bell
12-06-2006, 22:05
No, Ed. I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm also sorry that despite my efforts to try to give useful information, as accurately as possible, for free, you and so many others here have spent so much time insulting me, disparaging my profession - which I, and thousands of others engage in every bit as honorably and diligently as I am sure you do with yours - and trying to be as nasty as they can, usually anonymously (and thank you for using your name, and also the few others who either do so as well - yes, Jack, particularly you! - or who make their names apparent in their Profile).

How shall I say it? It's cheap, and nasty, when someone tries to help - and that's what I have done, and spent no few hours doing so (again, I note, for free, without any attempt to make a buck on it) -to have someone like you with your whiny bitching about my profession.

So go ahead and spout off. Insult people. Insult their jobs. Insult their best efforts, when they fall short of the perfection you want in your snotty little self-centered way. Keep it up. I'm sure it gives you some kind of sick pleasure. When you deny that, if you do, just remember: There are a lot of other people - including lawyers here, and people in other professions - that read your scum and say, "I don't need that kind of crap. I'll just shut up." And then you'll have accomplished something, won't you? You'll have shown you can terrorize and intimidate and get away with it.

So go ahead, all of you, who live in the same septic tank: Keep it up. But at the end of the day, no matter what you think, you sicken a lot of people with it.

This isn't a statement of law, by the way. And Ed? I charge a ton more to people than your cheap little offer. And they pay it, and get what they pay for.

The WeaselHey Russ, why is it that you can respond to a fairly innocuos post regarding cheap lawyer humor and turn it into a direct personal attack? Trying to belittle me? No dice. I have made no negative comment regarding your generous donation of legal knowledge. Hell, I believe this is the thread where I can actually say that without you getting bent out of shape. If my memory serves me correctly, we had one misunderstanding which I sorted out by being "stand-up" in your words. Seems as though I don't "get no respect". Congratulations on your ability to charge a "ton" more than my "cheap little offer" of the going rate for a 5-10 year practicing lawyer. I'm sure that they feel great about working for that "cheap little offer". BTW feel free to read all of my posting history, terrorizing and intimidation will be conspicuously absent. Of all the nerve.

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 22:20
Hey Russ, why is it that you can respond to a fairly innocuos post regarding cheap lawyer humor and turn it into a direct personal attack? Trying to belittle me? No dice. I have made no negative comment regarding your generous donation of legal knowledge. Hell, I believe this is the thread where I can actually say that without you getting bent out of shape. If my memory serves me correctly, we had one misunderstanding which I sorted out by being "stand-up" in your words. Seems as though I don't "get no respect". Congratulations on your ability to charge a "ton" more than my "cheap little offer" of the going rate for a 5-10 year practicing lawyer. I'm sure that they feel great about working for that "cheap little offer". BTW feel free to read all of my posting history, terrorizing and intimidation will be conspicuously absent. Of all the nerve.

How come? Because I am sick and freaking tired of you and people like you thinking that I have to paste a dung-eating grin on my face when you tell some disgusting "lawyer joke" (often a "transplant" from racially and sexually insulting "jokes") and let you act like it's funny. I do one damn fine job by my clients - I hope every damn day, even for those who can't afford to pay me anything more than a smile and a backslap (and that's worth a damn sight more than your scummy $100 to listen to your slime ) and I do a hell of a lot of public service for which I don't look for a bloody dime - do you? I sure hope so, but my license requires it - and I'm not alone in those from my profession, Ed, who do so, gladly, willingly, and honorably.

So, Ed, why don't you take your sick "lawyer jokes" and all the other attempts to put down my profession, my friends in it, the many that I admire - for their service to others often without recompense - and put all your snotty little pieces of "humor" where the sun don't shine. You don't care about someone's feelings, but you don't like getting called on it. Cheap shots are, well, cheap. And they usually come from cheap people.

If you're not one, that's wonderful. But don't tell me how much fun you'd have insulting someone, their profession, their work and their efforts and acting like it's funny. If I want that sort of thing, I'll go to to Michael Richard's next "performance." Even he's ashamed of insulting others. You're not. Yet, at least. If ever.

The Weasel

Skidsteer
12-06-2006, 22:28
How come? Because I am sick and freaking tired of you and people like you thinking that I have to paste a dung-eating grin on my face when you tell some disgusting "lawyer joke" (often a "transplant" from racially and sexually insulting "jokes") and let you act like it's funny. I do one damn fine job by my clients - I hope every damn day, even for those who can't afford to pay me anything more than a smile and a backslap (and that's worth a damn sight more than your scummy $100 to listen to your slime ) and I do a hell of a lot of public service for which I don't look for a bloody dime - do you? I sure hope so, but my license requires it - and I'm not alone in those from my profession, Ed, who do so, gladly, willingly, and honorably.

So, Ed, why don't you take your sick "lawyer jokes" and all the other attempts to put down my profession, my friends in it, the many that I admire - for their service to others often without recompense - and put all your snotty little pieces of "humor" where the sun don't shine. You don't care about someone's feelings, but you don't like getting called on it. Cheap shots are, well, cheap. And they usually come from cheap people.

If you're not one, that's wonderful. But don't tell me how much fun you'd have insulting someone, their profession, their work and their efforts and acting like it's funny. If I want that sort of thing, I'll go to to Michael Richard's next "performance." Even he's ashamed of insulting others. You're not. Yet, at least. If ever.

The Weasel

Dude.

You have bound what you do to make a living so tight to your self worth that your ass is chapped.

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 22:38
Dude.

You have bound what you do to make a living so tight to your self worth that your ass is chapped.

Well, duuuude.....

I don't insult what you, or Ed Bell, or Alligator, or Max, or the rest of the people here do for a living. And I don't crap all over someone who offers - for no benefit - to share their knowledge. OK, duuude?

And, duuude...if it makes you feel real real real REAL good to insult people, or support those who do, well, maybe your "self worth" is open to question, too. In the meanwhile, duuuude...why don't you tell Ed and all his snotty friends some jokes about their jobs, and how you think their self worth is freaked up. Sound like fun? Laugh like hell. Put them down. That's what grown-ups do, isn't it, duuude? Gosh, duuude...then people will really, really really, REALLY admire you, won't they? Duuude!!

The Weasel

Skidsteer
12-06-2006, 22:48
Well, duuuude.....

I don't insult what you, or Ed Bell, or Alligator, or Max, or the rest of the people here do for a living. And I don't crap all over someone who offers - for no benefit - to share their knowledge. OK, duuude?

And, duuude...if it makes you feel real real real REAL good to insult people, or support those who do, well, maybe your "self worth" is open to question, too. In the meanwhile, duuuude...why don't you tell Ed and all his snotty friends some jokes about their jobs, and how you think their self worth is freaked up. Sound like fun? Laugh like hell. Put them down. That's what grown-ups do, isn't it, duuude? Gosh, duuude...then people will really, really really, REALLY admire you, won't they? Duuude!!

The Weasel

I build cell phone towers for a living. A lot of them in the mountains.

That should be plenty of ammunition for you. But I didn't start a thread espousing my expertise on cell phone towers and try to forbid anybody not in the telecommunications industry from offering their opinion.

You did that with law.

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 22:56
I build cell phone towers for a living. A lot of them in the mountains.

That should be plenty of ammunition for you. But I didn't start a thread espousing my expertise on cell phone towers and try to forbid anybody not in the telecommunications industry from offering their opinion.

You did that with law.

(1) No. No one has been forbidden anything by me. I've asked people to honor a request, as well as follow the rules of Straight Forward. You're dead wrong.

(2) I may or may not agree with building cell towers some places. I wouldn't think of insulting your job or you for what you do. I don't tell jokes about blue collars, white collar, or no collar jobs (having held all three, I know that all productive work is honorable). So you don't see me hurling insults.

(3) I respect your work. Say something about how cell communications functions, and I'll defer to your statement. I'm not going to tell you you're wrong about how cell communications work, or that you're an egotist for telling people that there are certain things that have to be done technically for a tower to be built. But you - and a lot of others - seem to feel that "everyone's an expert." That may be fine for cell towers, since not a lot of people go build one for the hell of it. But really crappy statements about what the law is can cause real damage to people. Even so, you don't see me - or the other lawyers here - insulting you, your work, or your profession.

So no, I didn't "do that with the law", and you're free to show respect for someone's request or not. I repeatedly told people, "no problem; if you want to express "expert" opinions without being an expert, start your own thread for it." No one did. The crazies just trashed something that might help others.

OK, duuddde??? Feel better? Think you got the right to insult more people? You don't, and I don't like my job and my attempt to help others get the kind of s hit that trashed one site and is trying to trash another.

Duuudee.

The Weasel

Skidsteer
12-06-2006, 23:07
(1) No. No one has been forbidden anything by me. I've asked people to honor a request, as well as follow the rules of Straight Forward. You're dead wrong.

(2) I may or may not agree with building cell towers some places. I wouldn't think of insulting your job or you for what you do. I don't tell jokes about blue collars, white collar, or no collar jobs (having held all three, I know that all productive work is honorable). So you don't see me hurling insults.

(3) I respect your work. Say something about how cell communications functions, and I'll defer to your statement. I'm not going to tell you you're wrong about how cell communications work, or that you're an egotist for telling people that there are certain things that have to be done technically for a tower to be built. But you - and a lot of others - seem to feel that "everyone's an expert." That may be fine for cell towers, since not a lot of people go build one for the hell of it. But really crappy statements about what the law is can cause real damage to people. Even so, you don't see me - or the other lawyers here - insulting you, your work, or your profession.

So no, I didn't "do that with the law", and you're free to show respect for someone's request or not. I repeatedly told people, "no problem; if you want to express "expert" opinions without being an expert, start your own thread for it." No one did. The crazies just trashed something that might help others.

OK, duuddde??? Feel better? Think you got the right to insult more people? You don't, and I don't like my job and my attempt to help others get the kind of s hit that trashed one site and is trying to trash another.

Duuudee.

The Weasel

Pointing out that I think that you tie your self worth to your profession is merely an opinion based on reading your posts. I did not mean it as an insult. My opinion hasn't changed, but I'm sorry for insulting you. Dude.

Rain Man
12-06-2006, 23:10
No one needs protection from lawyers?

Geez, I know a few physicians who'd disagree with you.....you really don't wanna know what he pays out for malpractice insurance.

Doctors pay high malpractice premiums because of (2) doctors who screw up and (1) get-rich insurance companies.

Not lawyers. That myth has been thoroughly debunked. Though lawyers have helped to partially overcome the conspiracy of silence among doctors against patient/victims. And more power to them in fighting for the little guy.

Rain:sunMan

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 23:17
Pointing out that I think that you tie your self worth to your profession is merely an opinion based on reading your posts. I did not mean it as an insult. My opinion hasn't changed, but I'm sorry for insulting you. Dude.

I offer information that can help people. I get a, ttacked because I'm a lawyer, and my profession is insulted. That's not because I've "tied my self worth". It's insults from others, and I think that's cheap.

Be proud of your work, and do it as well as you can. I am, and try to, also. And thanks for the apology. I mean that.

The Weasel

TJ aka Teej
12-06-2006, 23:24
And I don't crap all over someone who offers - for no benefit - to share their knowledge.

You dumped TONS of crap on people in that insipid "101" thread, and then squealed like a pig stuck under a gate when you were called on it.

Retraction:
On Wednesday, I made a reference to The Weasel [in this post] that some may believe accused him of smoking "crack" or having a "crack pipe." I do not have any reason to believe that he now or ever has used illegal drugs in any way, and I regret it if my statements suggested any such thing about him. [I have removed the words he objected to from this post.]

Skidsteer
12-06-2006, 23:27
I offer information that can help people. I get a, ttacked because I'm a lawyer, and my profession is insulted. That's not because I've "tied my self worth". It's insults from others, and I think that's cheap.

Be proud of your work, and do it as well as you can. I am, and try to, also. And thanks for the apology. I mean that.

The Weasel

Take heart. It could be worse.

You could be a preacher.

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 23:34
Are you on crack? You dumped TONS of crap on people in that insipid "101" thread, and then squealed like a pig stuck under a gate when you were called on it. Put down the pipe, weasel.

Well, here is Teej, calling people druggies and assorted other crap. That's typical of him and his ilk. Nothing useful to say, so he just goes to the nasty insult line right from the start. That's real grown up, too.

Tell you what, Teej. How 'bout you just realize that no one really respects you for this kind of crap. Can't do that? Like hiding behind anonymity and your keyboard? Try this on for size: That's just gutless. And you're pretty well known for that.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

The Weasel

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 23:38
Take heart. It could be worse. You could be a preacher.

Was one. Hard work. Harder on the preacher, sometimes, caring about people. Every preacher I've ever known was a sinner, and most all would admit to it. But every one cared about her or his flock, too. Deeply. I may not agree with their opinions every time, either. But I don't insult their profession, either. It - like all honest work - deserves respect. So I don't tell "preacher jokes," either.

But thanks for the thought.

The Weasel

TJ aka Teej
12-06-2006, 23:44
squealing like a pig stuck under a gate

Man... a California Lawyer insulted me! Oh no! Gee, what I can type back that's even more insulting - I know! Hey weasel! You're a California Lawyer!
:D

weary
12-06-2006, 23:48
This thread surely has some of the dumbest comments I've ever participated in. Lawyers aren't villains -- at least most of them aren't. They have many useful skills.

Of these, language has always struck me as most important. They are trained to analyze documents and to write documents. I've been fascinated over the years by the many newspaper people who switch professions to become lawyers -- and the occasional lawyer who ends up in the writing business.

I use lawyers all the time. Our town land trust hires a lawyer to review the deeds of property we buy to ensure that the guy selling to us actually owns what he is selling. Our land trust also has hired a lawyer to review the agreement we worked out with a neighboring land trust to jointly hire an executive director. His rewrite of our draft avoided all kinds of potential squabbles.

A number of landowners have given easements to the land trust to protect forever from development land that they love and want preserved. We have a lawyer review these gifts -- not because we don't trust the donor -- but because we worry about the children and grandchildren or the buyers of the residual rights to the land. It's easy to defend a well-written easement. Expensive to defend a sloppily written easement.

More important than these rather mundane, but important tasks, it is lawyers that defend us from misuse of the powers of government. Police, great as they are, arrest people because the police think they are guilty. Police make mistakes. Lawyers help us survive those mistakes.

My walk north in 1993 was delayed two weeks when a person close to me was suddenly investigated by the state at the urging of political enemies. She was locked out of her office in town without warning or without any chance to explain her situation. That was an expensive lawyer. But believe me, that phone call a week later announcing the investigation had been dropped was worth every penny I spent.

Then there are the proposed wind towers on Redington, located just a mile from the trail and opposed by the Maine Appalachian Trail Club and other environmental groups. The decision is still out on that fight. We remain optimistic. But without a first class lawyer we wouldn't have stood a chance.

Lawyers do much valuable and necessary work.

Weary

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 23:48
Man... a California Lawyer insulted me! Oh no! Gee, what I can type back that's even more insulting - I know! Hey weasel! You're a California Lawyer!:D

And the insult is? Gosh. Me and Earl Warren. Best compliment of the year.

Also a Michigan lawyer, like Gerry Ford (another compliment-in-waiting).

And no, Teej, I didn't insult you. I told the truth.

The Weasel

totally Boagus
12-06-2006, 23:50
there were these 3 civil-disobedient ants in a bar..........

John Boag:)

The Old Fhart
12-06-2006, 23:53
The Weasel-"I get a, ttacked because I'm a lawyer, and my profession is insulted."I disagree with the first half-it's not 'because' of, but 'in spite of the fact'. The second half is true but you and I disagree who's insulting the profession.:rolleyes:

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 00:00
And the insult is? Gosh. Me and Earl Warren. Best compliment of the year.

Also a Michigan lawyer, like Gerry Ford (another compliment-in-waiting).

And no, Teej, I didn't insult you. I told the truth.

The Weasel

Lest people wonder about the "truth" part, Teej likes to hurl insults at people who are easily identified - I'm one, through my profile - but he (?) seems to want to be 'invisible'. No name, although I suppose if I really wanted to sue him (?) for defamation - and that's what it is, when you call a lawyer a crack user without any basis for it - I could find out from the organizations he (?) says he belongs to. There's no obligation to post your name in profiles, but throwing out insults about drugusing while not putting your name down?

Well, it takes guts to be up front. If you don't have the guts to do that, it's gutless. And that's what Teej is.

Any of you want a piece of me, you can find me pretty damn easy. Looking for Teej? No name, no identifiers....no guts. Just insults and slime.

FWIW.

The Weasel

PS: Sorry for the "?". He says he's a "dad". Must be a great example to his kids; insult people, call them names, accuse them of drug use. Yeah, great example.

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 00:01
there were these 3 civil-disobedient ants in a bar..........

...and the first ant says to the second ant, .............

The Weasel

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 00:01
[QUOTE]
there were these 3 civil-disobedient ants in a bar.........

I thought I was going to get to tell some good preacher jokes. But since TW was one, I guess that's out. ;)

TJ aka Teej
12-07-2006, 00:10
Looking for Teej? No name, no identifiers....no guts. Just insults and slime.

FWIW

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance alert! Don't bump your head when it stops, weasel.

TJ aka Teej < name and address known to all ALDHA members, to all service providers from Caratunk to Millinocket, and everyone who gets a private email from me. If you want to join, weasel, click on the link in my profile.

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 00:10
Lawyers do much valuable and necessary work.

Weary

So do police, and government officials, preachers, hostel owners, plumbers, cell tower builders and pretty damn all people who do legitimate work the best they can.

No one's profession - unless it's against the law - should be a source of insults or nastiness, from the humblest day worker to the grandest business owner.

The Weasel

Appalachian Tater
12-07-2006, 00:11
Weasel, why DO people tell lawyer jokes that are so disdainful? People tell doctor jokes, but they aren't cruel. Don't have any lawyers in my family to ask. The lawyers I know and have met have all been nice people. (This is a serious question.)

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 00:13
Truth hurts, don't it "Teej". Ashamed to put your name in this forum? Or do you only put it places where you know better than to defame people?

The Weasel

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 00:17
Weasel, why DO people tell lawyer jokes that are so disdainful? People tell doctor jokes, but they aren't cruel. Don't have any lawyers in my family to ask. The lawyers I know and have met have all been nice people. (This is a serious question.)

The lawyers I know tell the best lawyer jokes.

totally Boagus
12-07-2006, 00:17
and the first ant says to the second.......
whats so civil-disobedient about sitting in a bar? third ant pipes in ...... sign on the door says "red ants only"

John Boag:rolleyes:

TJ aka Teej
12-07-2006, 00:20
Truth hurts

weasel, I reserve the right to call you on your BS,
and if it "hurts" you, that's just too bad for you, isn't it?
For someone who claims to be a lawyer, you certainly are a crybaby.
Grow up.

TJ aka Teej
12-07-2006, 00:21
The lawyers I know tell the best lawyer jokes.

There are no lawyer jokes.
They're all true stories!
:D

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 00:23

I know it is. I think there are several reasons.

First, a large proportion of "lawyer jokes" are transplanted race/sex/ethnic "jokes". Take out the "lawyer" from a lot of them, and insert a derogatory racial, sexual or ethnic term, and you'll see that. And a lot of people think such things are "funny" but realize that it's kind of bad form to do the race/gender/ethnic slur. So slurring lawyers is "safe"; you won't get the NAACP or the Lambda Fund or the Civil Rights Commission on your case for a slam.

Second, it was either Voltaire or Mendes-France who said, "Lawyers and priests live in the gutter." That's not a reference to their homes, believe it or not, but a reference to the fact that both usually see people who are in severe stress points in their lives, such as family, criminal, financial or other problems; my profession deals with people who, usually by definition, have something wrong happening or that they want to prevent. So often, we're the focus of their fear and pain, and, yes, we get paid for it, at least sometimes. And that causes resentment. And the "cure" isn't a scientific one, unlke medicine: It's the legal system - courts - that brings things to a close, and rarely in a perfect way, at least to clients' opinions. So that adds to the resentment.

I think there are other aspects, but I think those are the major ones. I will say that I think lawyers, as a whole, permit some of it to occur, while refraining from reciprocation, i.e. crass and nasty "jokes" about other professions.

The Weasel

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 00:36
weasel, I reserve the right to call you on your BS,
and if it "hurts" you, that's just too bad for you, isn't it?
For someone who claims to be a lawyer, you certainly are a crybaby.
Grow up.

Tell you what, Teej. You call me a drug user again, and you'll have the oportunity to get a very, very, very good course in defamation law. And it won't be online, and it won't be free.

The Weasel

Mags
12-07-2006, 00:51
Tell you what, Teej. You call me a drug user again, and you'll have the oportunity to get a very, very, very good course in defamation law. And it won't be online, and it won't be free.

The Weasel

With all due respect Weasel, but when you are start to threathen legal action due to a heated discussion, perhaps it is time to step away from the computer?

Go on a short hike. Enjoy. Clear the air a bit.

I am being serious. If you are really this upset over an online discussion, perhaps it is best to avoid what is making you upset?

Once you are less upset, it may be best to come back and pick-up the discussion without implying a threat of legal action.

P

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 00:53
With all due respect Weasel, but when you are start to threathen legal action due to a heated discussion, perhaps it is time to step away from the computer?

Go on a short hike. Enjoy. Clear the air a bit.

I am being serious. If you are really this upset over an online discussion, perhaps it is best to avoid what is making you upset?

Once you are less upset, it may be best to come back and pick-up the discussion without implying a threat of legal action.

P

Second the motion. Sensible advice.

TJ aka Teej
12-07-2006, 00:55
editted after reading Mag's excellent post.
Good night, Irene.

Ewker
12-07-2006, 00:57
what are the odds that all 3 threads will be closed soon.

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 00:58

P

Thanks, and I appreciate the thought behind what you say. I'm serious about that.

But I don't have a lot of use for someone to accuse me, in an public forum, that of using crack or that I should "put the pipe down." That's not a joke, and I don't see the humor in it. Perhaps it might be a good idea for people here to think a little before they make statements like that, particularly ones which can cause real damage to someone, and to learn they can't do so with impunity.

So I'll tell you what, P. I'll take the breather...but maybe I'll wait for someone here to tell Teej - and the rest of the little group in WhiteBlaze who think they can spew real nastiness - that it would be wise for them to dial it back. How 'bout you do that?

The Weasel

TJ aka Teej
12-07-2006, 00:59
Rock has much more important things to be doing than policing the ego jousts here on WB.
Let's all just step back, and self close the threads.

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 01:01
Second the motion. Sensible advice.

Sorry, Skidsteer, but I disagree. I'd certainly be more willing to listen if anyone told Teej and his ilk that there are boundaries that are unwise to cross. Calling me - or anyone else - a crack user is one of those.

The Weasel

Mags
12-07-2006, 01:05
Weasel, take it easy my friend. Remember, it is only online discussion.

Call me a crack user and I'll say "If only..would explain a lot!" :)

Have a good night.

I am in the middle of my CDT photo project. Talk about burning the midnight oil....

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 01:07
Rock has much more important things to be doing than policing the ego jousts here on WB.
Let's all just step back, and self close the threads.

I am not closing the thread about questions and answers about the law. Those who wish to destroy it can do so, and be recognized for doing so. Those who wish to productively, and temperately, do so, are free to do that. And others can simply ignore it or start their own threads.

As to the original thread, I've asked that people not post to it. Some people think that means they can do the insult and whine thing more. I have hopes it will be closed soon. The other threads were created in response to another user's (good, I think) suggestion, and that original post is very visible. It says a lot that his (decent) idea has only resulted in personal attacks on me.

As for this one, other than deserved thanks to some, I have no interest in posting here other than I will not let my profession be the subject of unresponded insults. And here or elsewhere, I won't be accused of criminal conduct such as drug use. So I don't care about this thread, and encourage those who do to read the first post on it.

The Weasel

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 01:13
Weasel, take it easy my friend. Remember, it is only online discussion.

Call me a crack user and I'll say "If only..would explain a lot!" :)

Have a good night.

I am in the middle of my CDT photo project. Talk about burning the midnight oil....

Mags: "Only online discussion" is no different than face to face or any other printed medium, except for the ease of people to make terrible accusations and then try to act like they've done nothing wrong. Crack is appalling, using it is a felony, and calling someone that - and it wasn't cute - is just flat out wrong. If you think that kind of behavior is cute, I'll be amazed. So I'm waiting for you to tell Teej to try something else. Go ahead. I hope you're not afraid that he'll turn on you. Or is Teej free to say really nasty stuff? If so, then my walk from here will be far longer than I think you intend.

As for the CDT project, I hope you're using it for the Backpacker "mapping project". Perhaps we'll meet, if you do, and they have pity on the aged.

The Weasel

Mags
12-07-2006, 01:18
Hi Weasel! I am not really into online arguing right now.

Sorry, if TJ made you upset. He has agreed to stop the comments that made you upset. That's a good thing!

If you want to also end the arguing, great! If not, well not much I can do.

I've said all I can on this issue. If you want to make additional comments, go for it. I am done for the night..and for the rest of this thread. :)
Have some cross-country skiing to do tomorrow!

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 01:35
Hi Weasel! ***. Sorry, if TJ made you upset. He has agreed to stop the comments that made you upset. That's a good thing! ***
!

I have not seen him say that. If so, that is a good, and prudent, thing.

Enjoy your skiiing.

The Weasel

honu
12-07-2006, 02:11
Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif

I know it is. I think there are several reasons.

First, a large proportion of "lawyer jokes" are transplanted race/sex/ethnic "jokes". Take out the "lawyer" from a lot of them, and insert a derogatory racial, sexual or ethnic term, and you'll see that. And a lot of people think such things are "funny" but realize that it's kind of bad form to do the race/gender/ethnic slur. So slurring lawyers is "safe"; you won't get the NAACP or the Lambda Fund or the Civil Rights Commission on your case for a slam.

Second, it was either Voltaire or Mendes-France who said, "Lawyers and priests live in the gutter." That's not a reference to their homes, believe it or not, but a reference to the fact that both usually see people who are in severe stress points in their lives, such as family, criminal, financial or other problems; my profession deals with people who, usually by definition, have something wrong happening or that they want to prevent. So often, we're the focus of their fear and pain, and, yes, we get paid for it, at least sometimes. And that causes resentment. And the "cure" isn't a scientific one, unlke medicine: It's the legal system - courts - that brings things to a close, and rarely in a perfect way, at least to clients' opinions. So that adds to the resentment.

I think there are other aspects, but I think those are the major ones. I will say that I think lawyers, as a whole, permit some of it to occur, while refraining from reciprocation, i.e. crass and nasty "jokes" about other professions.

The Weasel

If I may add several more reasons:

The first three may just be part of the second reason The Weasel gave. First, lawyers are often viewed as obstructionists (can't tell you how many times I've been called that). We get in the way of what people want to do or how they want to do it. Second is the tendency to "kill the messenger" who brings bad news. Third, if you want to "get to" someone, making fun of them has a greater impact than criticism.

Lastly, many jokes contain an element of truth. While the vast majority of lawyers are not like those depicted in lawyer jokes, enough are that they touch a nerve.

The Weasel
12-07-2006, 02:36
If I may add several more reasons:

Lastly, many jokes contain an element of truth. While the vast majority of lawyers are not like those depicted in lawyer jokes, enough are that they touch a nerve.

That's called "stereotyping" and it is - at least to me - every bit as offensive as racial, sexual, or ethnic stereotyping and the kind of occupational stereotyping that says it's "cool" to refer indiscriminately to police officers as "pigs" or, at one time, those in the military as "baby killers." Such things are hurtful, crude, and have no place here, on the Trail, or in society.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
12-07-2006, 07:41

The Weasel

Dude. You need to get some broad shoulders and grow a spine. This is JUST an internet forum. Threatening legal action for some off the cuff comment is chickensht.This was a fun place till recently when you showed up with all this legal crap.

Almost There
12-07-2006, 07:45
Well, I don't have time to devote the time right now to this answer, but Honu is right. Whether you like stereotypes or not, they like jokes contain elements of truth, and there is a difference between bigoted/racist stereotypes and some that are less offensive. People are "offended" too easily, and somehow if you have ever worked in a courtroom, I have this feeling you don't offend as easily as you say you do. Sorry, Weasel, but I worked in a high power Chicago law firm during college and...it was enough for me to decide that it was not what I wanted to do or become. I even took the LSAT and was accepted to Loyola and Universit of Illinois Law School and made the wait list at Northwestern and University of Chicago. I wanted to go to NW and was told I could get in the following year...I waited and decided due to some things that happened as I was clerking that these were not people I wanted to associate with or be like. Not all lawyers are this way, but even a minority can ruin it for the majority. It's like the belief that all lawyers are well to do. I had a friend in HS who's dad was a lawyer...many families in our area were better off than her's. BTW hurtful, crude...are a point of view and what one person might be hurt by, another might laugh his butt off about. You have a right to your feelings but others also have a right to theirs.

rickb
12-07-2006, 07:57
The Weasel,

I am not sure I understand how comments like TJ's are considered defamation, but the comment you made to me is considered OK. Specifically this one:

Maybe when you got your boob job, the Doctor's secretary asked for your insurance card, and hospital wanted to see your passport.

In a strictlylegal sense, that is.

To my friends and associates here on Whiteblaze, I would like to state catagorically that I have not had any breast enhancement. Fraqnkly, I would like the calls to stop. That includes the many I see coming from area code 603!!!

This has been troubling me for some time, and I am glad to get this whole sordid affair off off my chest.

Sincerely,

Bob Smith, Topeka

(That's my real name, "rickboudrie" was just a name I picked at random from the ATC scrolls. About time I fessed up)

kyhipo
12-07-2006, 07:58
I hiked around ice falcon in 99 and he didnt like discussing his attorney practices while hiking,come on people leave that junk at home and hike:D ,no one likes to talk buisness while hiking.ky

TJ aka Teej
12-07-2006, 08:44
Weasel has contacted me and has suggested that unless I post a retraction he will sue me. He has provided me with words I should post. Here they are:
"On Wednesday, I made a reference to The Weasel that some may believe accused him of smoking "crack" or having a "crack pipe." I do not have any reason to believe that he now or ever has used illegal drugs in any way, and I regret it if my statements suggested any such thing about him."
In my own words:
In my opinion, no one in their right mind would have taken what I typed as anything other than a wisecrack, not as an accusation of drug use. If anyone reading that post, any of weasel's protests, or this post thinks that what I meant, they are wrong. If they really do think that, I believe it's more from weasel's responses than from anything that I wrote. It's my opinion that the reason he has posted in the taunting, abusive, and untruthful manner towards me has been an attenpt to provoke me into replying in kind so he can intimidate me by threatening to sue.
I am deleting that earlier post, and inserting a retraction.

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 08:48
Now I've heard everything. Are you kiddin' Teej?

Heater
12-07-2006, 08:59
[quote=TJ aka Teej;281559]Weasel has contacted me and has suggested that unless I post a retraction he will sue me. He has provided me with words I should post. Here they are:
"On Wednesday, I made a reference to The Weasel that some may believe accused him of smoking "crack" or having a "crack pipe." I do not have any reason to believe that he now or ever has used illegal drugs in any way, and I regret it if my statements suggested any such thing about him."
[/unquote]

My goodness!

In my opinion, he is a total ASS. :mad:

The Old Fhart
12-07-2006, 09:08
TJ aka Teej-"In my opinion, no one in their right mind would have taken what I typed as anything other than a wisecrack, not as an accusation of drug use."Anyone who would have taken your comment at face value might indeed have a very serious problem. Any lawyer worth his salt would have a field day defending that frivilous suit!

This reminds me of the story of the newspaper that was threatened to be sued if they didn't retract their headline that read: "half the lawyers are crooks". The next issue of the paper had the headlines: "half the lawyers are not crooks".:rolleyes:

max patch
12-07-2006, 09:28
Weazie was here at the start of this site and acted then the same way he is acting now. I'm sorry that he didn't learn anything during the year and a half that he was away. I'm looking forward to his next year and a half sabbatical.

MOWGLI
12-07-2006, 09:41
Weasel has contacted me and has suggested that unless I post a retraction he will sue me. He has provided me with words I should post.

I hope that the Administrators will ban this joker. Immediately.

John B
12-07-2006, 09:47
I mostly lurk on WB, but I read nearly every thread. I've heard L. Wolf, Mowglii, TJ, Minnesota Smith, Jack T, Austex, Old Fhart, and others ranked to the dogs and back and called every name in the book. I've seen pages of threads devoted to little else but accusing W.Doyle of nearly everything but high treason.

But never once have I seen anyone on here threaten to sue another WB poster because of something said.

Until now.

Pathetic.

That's my .02.

chief
12-07-2006, 11:15
I agree John B. I hope the admins will take appropriate action.

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 11:24
Sorry, Skidsteer, but I disagree. I'd certainly be more willing to listen if anyone told Teej and his ilk that there are boundaries that are unwise to cross. Calling me - or anyone else - a crack user is one of those.

The Weasel

You're choosing to view idiomatic speech as defamation. By threatening to sue Teej, you are confirming and reinforcing the views that many people hold regarding lawyers, in my opinion.

Your choice.

weary
12-07-2006, 11:25
Sorry, Skidsteer, but I disagree. I'd certainly be more willing to listen if anyone told Teej and his ilk that there are boundaries that are unwise to cross. Calling me - or anyone else - a crack user is one of those. The Weasel
TJ has at least one claim to fame. He's an absolute master of invective as several of us have learned over the years. His weakness is that at times the invective makes no logical sense. I think of it as sort of keeping in practice until he has a legitimate target -- like Bush.

Weary

Two Speed
12-07-2006, 11:47
You're choosing to view idiomatic speech as defamation. By threatening to sue Teej, you are confirming and reinforcing the views that many people hold regarding lawyers, in my opinion.

Your choice.Amen, brother. Couldn't have said it better.

highway
12-07-2006, 11:50
Weazie was here at the start of this site and acted then the same way he is acting now. I'm sorry that he didn't learn anything during the year and a half that he was away. I'm looking forward to his next year and a half sabbatical.

Hmmmm...Do I not vaguely recall some controversy with your first posts as well, back in those early, formative, Whiteblaze days?

Personally, even if everyone agrees that what was said by W was incorrect and inappropriate, I dont think its Admin's (pun intended) job to censured him. Regrettably, his is not the only invective frequently spewed forth on these forums. Besides, it makes for "Easy" reading, as it were;)

floyd242
12-07-2006, 12:22
This thread is funny.

saimyoji
12-07-2006, 12:39
and will soon be closed.

Footslogger
12-07-2006, 12:53
It's all just words on a screen ...not worth the agita.

'Slogger

DawnTreader
12-07-2006, 13:02
The problem with forum discussion, is the loss of face to face; tone, which is the most important aspect in conversation understanding, is sometimes completely misinterperted. I call my friends crack heads constantly. Are they truley crack heads? absolutely not. Anyone that hears me call them crack heads knows that I am kidding, or using this statement to infer that whatever they have done or said, made no sense to me, and convincingly shown me that they have flipped their lids. Do they threaten lawsuits for defamation of character. Nope. And if they did, I would laugh my ass off. If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me if I've been smokin' crack... I'd be hiking right now instead of working my ass off waiting for summer..

warren doyle
12-07-2006, 13:16
High treason? Sounds interesting. I'll put it on my next agenda.

The Weasal: Welcome back to the mean-spirited, dark-blaze side of WhiteBlaze.

weary
12-07-2006, 13:19
Why should the Police have to "stick to the rules" when the crooks don't?
This was asked in a now closed, but related thread. And sadly, no one commented. But the implication behind the query is that the rule of law is simply a nuisance.

In truth the rule of law is fundamental to both justice and democratic government. Law enforcement officers are the interface between government and the public.

No one is safe if government is not required to obey the laws. It's the breakdown in police powers that leads to false imprisonment, and eventually dictatorships -- and incidentally is at least partially responsible for the quagmire we are facing in Iraq.

The temptation is strong for those in power to ignore the law for what they perceive to be the greater good. Even Reagon succumbed to the temptation. It is never right and always destructive.

Weary

Footslogger
12-07-2006, 13:30
The temptation is strong for those in power to ignore the law for what they perceive to be the greater good. Even Reagon succumbed to the temptation. It is never right and always destructive.

Weary

===========================

...it's all about that ABSOLUTE POWER stuff.

'Slogger

max patch
12-07-2006, 15:21
TJ has at least one claim to fame.

Teej also coaches youth basketball so that makes him alright in my book.

Even if he doesn't understand politics.:)

rgarling
12-07-2006, 15:22
Trolls May Have a Disordered Personality (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/5/15/19332/5961):

"Trolls are the bane of the Internet, known for their behaviors designed to disrupt conversation and draw attention to themselves. Actually, trolls have much in common with the Axis II, Cluster B personality disorders of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders."
"What the Cluster B personality disorders have in common is manipulative behavior, a lack of empathy, and self-centeredness. What separates trolls from typical people with Cluster B personality disorders is a form of social aversion or fear of identification that prevents them from acting out their self-centered behavior in less anonymous places. The result is that these needs are satisfied on the Internet. Here are my criteria for the Internet Troll Personality Disorder:
"The Internet Troll Personality Disorder is characterized by attention-seeking and disruptive behavior in anonymous, delocalized places of socializing. It is indicated by the following traits:

A tendency to make provocative comments to invoke emotional responses in others
A lack of connection to the community being trolled; i.e., will leave if desired response is not invoked ("Do not feed the trolls!")
A dissatisfaction with one's life and a cynical attitude towards things in general
A tendency to challenge the rules and authorities of a community
A preference to exhibit these behaviors only in places where one's true identity is unknown"

Alligator
12-07-2006, 15:35
The Cluster B personality disorders of the DSM-IV include the antisocial, borderline, histrionic, and narcissistic personality disorders. While none of these are a perfect description of the typical troll's behavior, they do share features with the troll.
First of all is the antisocial personality disorder, also known as psychopathy or sociopathy. Antisocial behavior includes some of the following elements:

Failure to conform to social norms
Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
Consistent irresponsibility
Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from anotherNarcissism is the ego unbound. The DSM-IV describes the narcissistic personality disorder as, "A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts...." Some indicative behavior are these:

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudesSome elements of the histrionic personality disorder, a disordered personality exhibiting an excessive need for attention, also manifest themselves in trolls:

Is uncomfortable in situations in which he or she is not the center of attention
Interaction with others is often characterized by provocative behavior
Has a style of speech that is excessively impressionistic and lacking in detailWhat the Cluster B personality disorders have in common is manipulative behavior, a lack of empathy, and self-centeredness. What separates trolls from typical people with Cluster B personality disorders is a form of social aversion or fear of identification that prevents them from acting out their self-centered behavior in less anonymous places. The result is that these needs are satisfied on the Internet. Here are my criteria for the Internet Troll Personality Disorder:
The Internet Troll Personality Disorder is characterized by attention-seeking and disruptive behavior in anonymous, delocalized places of socializing. It is indicated by the following traits:

A tendency to make provocative comments to invoke emotional responses in others
A lack of connection to the community being trolled; i.e., will leave if desired response is not invoked ("Do not feed the trolls!")
A dissatisfaction with one's life and a cynical attitude towards things in general
A tendency to challenge the rules and authorities of a community
A preference to exhibit these behaviors only in places where one's true identity is unknownDisclaimer: It takes a qualified professional to diagnose anyone with a personality disorder.
Source: http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/dsm4TRclassification.htm (http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/dsm4TRclassification.htm)

highway
12-07-2006, 17:53
Can't we all just get along?:D

Bravo
12-07-2006, 22:12
Funny how a lot of those points in that article could describe a Thru Hiker.

The Weasel you're a crackhead.

Lawyers are so funny. Sueing over name calling. Pathetic! We all went to different grade schools but I think we all learned, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but WORDS can never hurt me."

Seems some of us "Big Kids" forgot that one.(Disclaimer-"Big Kids" doesn't imply fat or overweight.) God forbid somebodies feelings get hurt.:D

Almost There
12-07-2006, 22:40
Offended for being called a Crackhead? I don't get offended when people call me Dirty Hiker Trash(kind of proud of it, actually)....Get over it, life's too short...somebody needs to get out and hike more!

the goat
12-07-2006, 22:42
Weasel has contacted me and has suggested that unless I post a retraction he will sue me. He has provided me with words I should post. Here they are:
In my own words:
In my opinion, no one in their right mind would have taken what I typed as anything other than a wisecrack, not as an accusation of drug use. If anyone reading that post, any of weasel's protests, or this post thinks that what I meant, they are wrong. If they really do think that, I believe it's more from weasel's responses than from anything that I wrote. It's my opinion that the reason he has posted in the taunting, abusive, and untruthful manner towards me has been an attenpt to provoke me into replying in kind so he can intimidate me by threatening to sue.
I am deleting that earlier post, and inserting a retraction.

wow! tj apologizing & retracting? perhaps i'll start threatening to sue him over on the political threads!:D

Lone Wolf
12-07-2006, 22:45
Weasel looks like Cartman. He needs to hike. I had a wonderful day walking up to McAfee and beyond and back. Didn't see anybody but Stumpknocker.:)

Frosty
12-07-2006, 23:11
Weasel has contacted me and has suggested that unless I post a retraction he will sue me. He has provided me with words I should post. And some people wonder why no one respects lawyers in general. This is about the silliest thing I have ever heard. Best thing you can do now Teej is go to MacDonalds and spill some coffee on your lap. Maybe if you let Weasel sue MacDonalds on your behalf he won't sue you.

Jim Adams
12-07-2006, 23:13
political correctness is just another way of losing more of YOUR rights so as to not upset someone else. grow up! if you can't handle the trail, stay off of the mountain!
my .02
geek

TJ aka Teej
12-07-2006, 23:53
This is about the silliest thing I have ever heard. It is a pretty interesting world sometimes, Frosty.

Blue Jay
12-08-2006, 00:17
Weasel looks like Cartman.

Sounds like him too, plus there is always something up his butt.

Blue Jay
12-08-2006, 00:18
I hate you guys - The Weasel Cartman

woodsy
12-08-2006, 00:33
This thread is related to "Backpacker's Law", the new thread in "Straight Forward." It is intended for:

8) Anything else someone feels the need to post.

The Weasel

Well, You asked The Weasel, You should have known better.
After reading what transpired here today, I can only hope that on-line forums don't become the next breadbasket for opportunistic lawyers.

Almost There
12-08-2006, 00:41
NOOO KITTY!!! That's my pot pie!!!-Weasel Cartman:jump

OR for those Trekkies out there....

Dammit Jim, I'm a lawyer not a hiker!!!:D

Almost There
12-08-2006, 00:44
...and "I" will be going out for a winter hike with OB the day after Christmas up around Standing Indian...now I just gotta get some of Grandma's secret firestarter to keep me warm at night!:D

Frosty
12-08-2006, 00:54
It is a pretty interesting world sometimes, Frosty.
Well, it's pretty weird, that's for sure. And the thruhiker subset of the population is even weirder than the norm.

In another thread someone is complaining about bickering and why can't we all just get along, but we are getting along in our own way. You have to be a little odd to want to take six months of your life and walk from GA to ME. Not exactly the good ol' Puritan Work Ethic.

So basically we have a bunch of individualists who are also used to being self-sufficient. Of course we have strong opinions. But everyone I bickered with here I got along fine with in person. I think maybe you and I got into it here once or twice, but if we met on the trail we'd get along fine. As long as you didn't have a crackpipe with you :D

Guys like Weasel Cartman don't get it. But that's okay. Maybe that makes him saner than us. Or maybe he can hike in Alaska with MS, and we can have another nice long thread going.

weary
12-08-2006, 01:12
We all went to different grade schools but I think we all learned, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but WORDS can never hurt me." ....
Yeah, we all learned the words. Some of us also learned that the words are a lie.

MOWGLI
12-08-2006, 08:16
The few of us here who have watched this guy's act for more than 5 years are not surprised by the story's latest twist.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2006, 08:21
You dumped TONS of crap on people in that insipid "101" thread, and then squealed like a pig stuck under a gate when you were called on it.

Retraction:
On Wednesday, I made a reference to The Weasel [in this post] that some may believe accused him of smoking "crack" or having a "crack pipe." I do not have any reason to believe that he now or ever has used illegal drugs in any way, and I regret it if my statements suggested any such thing about him. [I have removed the words he objected to from this post.]

I can't believe you let him whip you like a little puppy.

StarLyte
12-08-2006, 08:44
You guys are ruthless.

I'm eating you for breakfast.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2006, 08:45
My last wife was Ruth. So I guess I am.

MOWGLI
12-08-2006, 09:43
You guys are ruthless.

Call me "ruthless" again, and you'll be hearing from my lawyers - Rabinowitz, Rabinowitz and Rabinowitz. ;) Three New York lawyers who won't leave a scrap of flesh on your bones. :rolleyes:

woodsy
12-08-2006, 09:48
It's no wonder The Weasel was complaining about anonymous posters, If you said something derogatory about him, he could track you down and try to sue you, truly pitiful. It's no wonder people prefer to remain anonymous.

Almost There
12-08-2006, 10:33
Hey, with the debt I have...he can have half of everything I have....and I'll end up with more than I started with!:banana

dixicritter
12-08-2006, 11:34
Alright THAT'S IT! I have been out of town this week tending to my mother who had to have surgery while Rock is in Iraq fighting this DAMN war and you people are acting like THIS???

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED AND IF SOME OF YOU DON'T SETTLE DOWN YOU WILL GO IN TIME OUT! PERIOD!!!!!