PDA

View Full Version : Hey Folks!

mdionne
12-06-2006, 21:46
my girlfriend is interested in hiking the trail someday.

although she said it has a lot of good info on the AT, unfortunately, she checked out this site while all the heated bickering has been going on here lately.

she said, "it makes me NOT want to hike the trail AT ALL"...:(

There's a lot of new folks on here looking to hike next year or in the future this ***** isn't helping any.

skeeterfeeder
12-06-2006, 22:04
I appreciate how unappealing some of the rhetoric on this forum may sometimes be, but your girlfriend should remember that this is a web forum ABOUT the AT and not THE AT.

If I went to site about the proper way to eat or make chocolate, I may not like what certain chocolate 'experts' said, but it should not keep me from loving chocolate.

Go visit the AT and see what I mean. Bon appetit.

RAT
12-06-2006, 22:06
Basing the AT experience by anything posted in a forum is just crazy. I agree with skeeter, get out there and see for yourself ! You wont be sorry ;)

RAT

mdionne
12-06-2006, 22:25
i don't think you realize that there are real people behind those keyboards. and likely the people she will meet on the trail. believe it or not, it only takes a single thru hike to know several regular posters on this site!

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 22:31
i don't think you realize that there are real people behind those keyboards. and likely the people she will meet on the trail. believe it or not, it only takes a single thru hike to know several regular posters on this site!

MDionne --

I think I have to agree with you, although I wish I didn't. This forum is largely unregulated - unlike TrailPlace, which is tightly restricted by Dan Bruce, who rapidly eliminates posts he doesn't like (and it's his site, so he is entitled to), so anything can, and does, happen here.

And there are a a number of people here who really get their jollies being as nasty as they can, and hiding behind anonymous "trail names" or other ways of staying free from real criticism. (Check profiles, and ones with real names and websites are from people who aren't ashamed to be found, if they state a frank opinion.) Ask about a particular sleeping bag, and you probably will get good info in a decent thread here. Express an opinion that this group doesn't like, and they'll trash you day and night.

The best I can say is that the more people who condemn that kind of behavior, and who stay here, the less it will happen. I hope. And I hope you and your girlfriend stay interested in the trail; there are wonderful friends, and joyous places, to be found on it, as well as here. And, yes, a few to be avoided.

The Weasel

skeeterfeeder
12-06-2006, 22:36
I DO realize there are real people behind the keyboards, and I also realize that just because you own a keyboard doesn't mean you will ever see the AT. I met all kinds of people on the trail and the majority of them were great people, a much higher percentage than I would meet going to the grocery store.

And when you meet people on the trail, you may only see them as they pass you or you pass them, for less than a minute. If you come across someone that you don't care for, you can just walk on.

If you are looking for a perfect world, let me know when you find it.

Blissful
12-06-2006, 22:38
I don't base my thru hike next year on others. I base it on the fact that I am meant to do this. It is a dream of mine for 30 years. And I won't let others affect that dream or hinder it. You're gonna find people on the trail you don't like or can't get along with. You're gonna find people on the trail that you become the best of friends. It's life. And the trail is not an escape from life. Life is there too. People are there. But you need to know the reason for being out there. And if it's to get along with everybody everywhere and everyone is is buddy buddy and real sweet, it isn't realistic.

White Blaze gets you ready more than you know. Besides, even when certain people bicker, these same people really help in a pinch. And a computer is a lousy way to get to know people. You can't know the people behind a keyboard. All you really know is the words.

bullseye
12-06-2006, 22:45
As I have posted here on other threads the snide comments and decay will only serve to hurt this site, not improve it. While I like the freedom that comes with this site (thanks to our Constitution:banana ), I think at times tighter administrator controls might become necessary. Bash DB all you want but at least his website maintains a positive attitude concerning the AT and backpacking. The bottom line is this: most of us come to this site because we love the outdoors, the AT, backpacking, hiking, etc, and not to be attacked or to witness an individuals own personal mental defect. Think about how others are influenced by you posts before you submit, for the sake of this sport we love.

The Weasel
12-06-2006, 22:47
As I have posted here on other threads the snide comments and decay will only serve to hurt this site, not improve it. While I like the freedom that comes with this site (thanks to our Constitution:banana ), I think at times tighter administrator controls might become necessary. Bash DB all you want but at least his website maintains a positive attitude concerning the AT and backpacking. The bottom line is this: most of us come to this site because we love the outdoors, the AT, backpacking, hiking, etc, and not to be attacked or to witness an individuals own personal mental defect. Think about how others are influenced by you posts before you submit, for the sake of this sport we love.

Well put.

The Weasel

fishinfred
12-06-2006, 22:50
HYOH !!!! Thats all! Just do it! Don't like a thread ? Go to another!

Trails out there .....not here ........this helps but till you walk the walk ...........its just talk.
Good luck to you and your girlfriend........take what ya need .......forget the rest! Good stuff here if ya look for what ya NEED .
PEACE!
FF

TJ aka Teej
12-06-2006, 22:57
There's a lot of new folks on here looking to hike next year or in the future this ***** isn't helping any.

That's the Truth.

Booley
12-06-2006, 22:59
You can follow this site and find out who the jerks are, so when you're out on the trail, you know who to stay away from. Or you can change the channel and let censorship take place and not know who you'll be dealing with out there. Personally, I like knowing who might be out there through postings!

Bravo
12-06-2006, 23:03

Yeah, you're right trailplace might be more positive and sometimes WB posts and posters can be negative. I'd rather have all the parts to the engine though not just the shiny ones. That's what makes the world go 'round.

If someone can't roll with the punches of WB where you're only a click away from a different reality how in the hell can you handle that gash in your leg when you slip on a rock or root on your 5th day of cold rain?

SalParadise
12-06-2006, 23:08
all the bickering and insulting doesn't constitute 100% of this site just like it doesn't on the Trail. You can't ignore the good, either. 95% of the people on here are more than anxious to share all the great things about the Trail and to help prospective hikers.

My brother was going to take a bus and meet me in New Hampsire for a week when I was hiking, but figuring everything out was certainly difficult. I told him to post his question here and four or five people went out of their way to find him bus routes, where it would stop in town and even the exact place where he'd best be able to find me. I think it spoke volumes for the other hikers on this site.

skeeterfeeder
12-06-2006, 23:11
You can follow this site and find out who the jerks are, so when you're out on the trail, you know who to stay away from. Or you can change the channel and let censorship take place and not know who you'll be dealing with out there. Personally, I like knowing who might be out there through postings!

I partially agree with you on this, but again I say, WB is not the AT. There are people here who never have nor never will hike the AT and there are many great folks you will meet on the AT who never come here.

This is what it is, a great place to find out information about the trail. But there is only one place to experience the trail. And once you do the dynamics of the two will be put into perspective. Happy trails.

Slimer
12-06-2006, 23:14
Of all the things that can hinder a person from walking the AT, a lively discussion should NOT be one of 'em. Think of it as more of a reason to get AWAY from the computer and INTO the woods.

general
12-06-2006, 23:23
different strokes, for different folks. people on this here particular site do disagree, but for the most part. agree to disagree. the difference is that on a web forum disagreements appear to be personal but in reality they are not. no body language or facial expressions, so words alone may be taken personally, but the larger picture is sometimes misunderstood. on the trail, personal expressions are revealed, and therefore, disagreements tend to not go as far and are not taken out of context. everyone is different however, so differences in opinion always exist on the trail, at work, in a bar, at home, or wherever.

bullseye
12-06-2006, 23:29
Yeah, you're right trailplace might be more positive and sometimes WB posts and posters can be negative. I'd rather have all the parts to the engine though not just the shiny ones. That's what makes the world go 'round.

If someone can't roll with the punches of WB where you're only a click away from a different reality how in the hell can you handle that gash in your leg when you slip on a rock or root on your 5th day of cold rain?

How silly! I've had a few trail injuries including one where I went to the ER AFTER finishing my hike and driving 2 1/2 hours home. Add insult to injury the nurse cleaning up my wound tried to rip out muscle tissue mistaking it for cloth fiber in my arm! I tolerated that better than moronic discussion and toilet humor. Maybe we need a catagory titled Morons, jerks, and wannabe comedians. Then those types can pop in and visit, spit on each other, and belittle others of their kind.

I agree that the jerks do stand out and I'm pretty sure I won't need to hear their trail names to identify them on the trail. I'm not anti humor (I actually have a better sense of humor than my posts indicate), I just believe we need to be good stewards of our sport and the outdoor experience.

The Old Fhart
12-06-2006, 23:29
Mdionne-"although she said it has a lot of good info on the AT, unfortunately, she checked out this site while all the heated bickering has been going on here lately."I watch CSI where some of the most disgusting things you could imagine happen each episode but that didn't stop me from attending my daughters wedding in Las Vegas. The secret is to understand the difference between the comics and the real news. Hope that explanation helps.

Booley
12-06-2006, 23:31
I partially agree with you on this, but again I say, WB is not the AT. There are people here who never have nor never will hike the AT and there are many great folks you will meet on the AT who never come here.

This is what it is, a great place to find out information about the trail. But there is only one place to experience the trail. And once you do the dynamics of the two will be put into perspective. Happy trails.

I agree with you completely SF! It's definitely not the AT (Thank God). I'm just talking about those little "red flags" some people give you. What would some of them be like out in public and not behind the keyboard? Most would be OK, but then there's some that you just think "Damn, they're just weird!". I hope to hike the whole Trail one day. Priorities! I try to trust most people, but there's just those few.....Hmmmm:-?

Bravo
12-06-2006, 23:34
How silly! I've had a few trail injuries including one where I went to the ER AFTER finishing my hike and driving 2 1/2 hours home. Add insult to injury the nurse cleaning up my wound tried to rip out muscle tissue mistaking it for cloth fiber in my arm! I tolerated that better than moronic discussion and toilet humor. Maybe we need a catagory titled Morons, jerks, and wannabe comedians. Then those types can pop in and visit, spit on each other, and belittle others of their kind.

I agree that the jerks do stand out and I'm pretty sure I won't need to hear their trail names to identify them on the trail. I'm not anti humor (I actually have a better sense of humor than my posts indicate), I just believe we need to be good stewards of our sport and the outdoor experience.

Since when is backpacking a sport?

I think you said it perfect when you said "outdoor experience". WB is an indoor cyber experience. Two very different things my friend.

Frosty
12-07-2006, 00:54
we need a catagory titled Morons, jerks, and wannabe comedians. Then those types can pop in and visit, spit on each other, and belittle others of their kind.

I agree that the jerks do stand out Apparently so :D

d2m
12-07-2006, 01:07
99% of the time questions get answered here especialy if the person states that he or she is new to the A.T.

there arre alot of accomplished hikers on this site, they all know each other well , and use this site to help people out

many of the regulars like to have a laugh and poke and prod each other , sometimes this comes accross as harsh when put up on the screen but most of the time its just fun.

i love it when warren and jack go at it ... I have met both of them in person and they are both great people that will go out of their way to help someone out .... i use this only as an example

just my thoughts... from someone who mostly lurks

Amigi'sLastStand
12-07-2006, 06:09
I've been overseas for a while with little to no internet. Last thing that happened here was many of us agreed to stop subscribing to the Non-At threads. It worked...for a day. I have been back in the states now about three weeks and have lurked here 3-4 times, but my urge to post is all but gone. I used to hit WB 9-10 times a day!! Now I do about once a week. This forum is out of hand.

To those who wish to hike the AT or any trail, dont let the cyberhikers here discourage you. There is more good info on hiking on this site than anywhere else. Sorry you have to weed through the *****.

Sly
12-07-2006, 06:28
She can't be serious, she's making excuses already...

Sly
12-07-2006, 06:31
What does hiking have to do with politics or being subscibed to the politics forum have to do with hiking? Nothing!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-07-2006, 08:02
Sly, I think the original poster was talking about the bickering that has gone on in places other than the subscription areas of the site. Most newcomers and no guests ever see the subscription areas that contain non-AT related posts about political issues and other non-AT related topics.

Lone Wolf
12-07-2006, 08:07
my girlfriend is interested in hiking the trail someday.

although she said it has a lot of good info on the AT, unfortunately, she checked out this site while all the heated bickering has been going on here lately.

she said, "it makes me NOT want to hike the trail AT ALL"...:(

She doesn't need the internet to plan a hike. When I was "new" to hiking there was no internet.

StarLyte
12-07-2006, 08:23
I think your girlfriend found the excuse she was looking for.

otterman
12-07-2006, 08:35
the knowledge on this website far outweighs the bickering. People here will go above and beyond to help you if you ask them. I look at the bickering as a source of entertainment.

There is a poblem if you look at WB and think that the trail (or WB) consists of only negative personalities.

Ewker
12-07-2006, 10:25
find me a webiste that has a forum like this and you will find bickering on it. It happens on all websites. Some worse than others

ASUGrad
12-07-2006, 11:05
This has to be the best excuse I have ever heard for not hiking. I'm using this one.

"Yeah honey, I would love to go to your mom's in Georgia but I hear they argue on forums down there".

Sly
12-07-2006, 11:40
Sly, I think the original poster was talking about the bickering that has gone on in places other than the subscription areas of the site. Most newcomers and no guests ever see the subscription areas that contain non-AT related posts about political issues and other non-AT related topics.

Yeah, I know I was addressing Amigi's post. I should have quoted.

weary
12-07-2006, 12:39
.... It's definitely not the AT (Thank God). I'm just talking about those little "red flags" some people give you. What would some of them be like out in public and not behind the keyboard? Most would be OK, but then there's some that you just think "Damn, they're just weird!". I hope to hike the whole Trail one day. Priorities! I try to trust most people, but there's just those few.....Hmmmm:-?
Even the "jerks" tend to be nice people when you meet them on the trail in my experience. I don't recall meeting any obnoxious people in 1993. A couple made it clear they didn't like the way I was hiking. But then they wandered away from their purist stance in favor of "meeting some girls in New York."

One of the most virulent hurler of insults on Whiteblaze turned out to be a nice guy when I met him in Baxter Park a couple of years ago.

Weary

Pacific Tortuga
12-07-2006, 13:09
She doesn't need the internet to plan a hike. When I was "new" to hiking there was no internet.

There has got to be some kind of age joke here, being I'm a few years older it's not coming from me. :)

The Cheat
12-07-2006, 13:21

Well, technically, ARPANet was implemented in 1969, so....:-? Of course, you were 11, so you probably were already hiking, so nevermind....

Pacific Tortuga
12-07-2006, 13:33
Is 'The Cheat' and 'weary' one in the same ? I went to the last post on this thresd by The Cheat and its showing a post by weary just wondered whats up with that ?

never mind it has changed to The Cheat since then

DawnTreader
12-07-2006, 14:04
Its hard for new people on this site to gain any useful info.. especially if they are not skilled net navigatiors. There is so much crap on this site, especially lately. When I was new, it took forever to sort through the ***** to find the good stuff... But the good stuff is here, no denying it. Threads like this don't really help the situation either, but its a nice try..

stuco
12-07-2006, 19:23

Are you unhappy that there are new people (like me) who are interested in thru hiking the AT? Do you find that the trail is overcrowded? I would think that most hikers would encourage people who are interested in hiking the AT.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-07-2006, 19:29
Stuco,
welcome to WB and good luck with your hike. :)

Sly
12-07-2006, 19:33
If someone can't handle the rigors of an Internet hiking forum, where the only thing offensive is words, I find it hard to believe they can handle the rigors of the trail.

YMMV

Boat Drinks
12-07-2006, 20:54
Where are these "subscription forums" like the political one that was put on hold a while back?

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 20:59
Where are these "subscription forums" like the political one that was put on hold a while back?

Go to your User cp, group memberships, and you can subscribe.

Welcome to the dark side. ;)

Boat Drinks
12-07-2006, 21:04

Ah, found them, thanks. I'll keep my Sith personality to a minimum....;)

StarLyte
12-07-2006, 21:21

You crack me up Skidsteer. Are you coming to the Southern Ruck?

Boat Drinks
12-07-2006, 21:25

Oh man, that wasn't a good idea. I can't compete with the minds or the time the folks posting in the political forum. Why aren't those people hiking???:-?

Jack Tarlin
12-07-2006, 21:41
It's probably been said, but people are VERY different on the Internet than they are in person.....for example, on the Internet I don't agree with ANYTHING that, for example, Chomp or Jester have to say about politics, yet in person, it's totally different. We are, in fact, very close frienfds. Likewise, I don't agree with ANYTHING Hopeful or F.D. has to see on this website, but I met him in person at the Gathering this October; he's a fine guy. F.D. and her husband were there, too and are wonderful people. Or there's Mowgli....he and I go at it all the time here; in person we get along just fine, he's a really good guy. And there are some people on WB that I agree with on some issues, but wildly disagree with on others. Sometimes it's the two of us against the world, seems like; sometimes we're ripping each other's heads off.

It means very little. This is an interactive Internet website. There's always going to be some crazy stuff here, it's what happens when people aren't looking other people in the eye, and don't have to say stuff to someone's actual face. And 99% of the posters here hide hind anonymity, which further encourages intemperate speech.

So tell you friend not to worry overmuch. Trail people are VERY different on the Trail than they are on-line, which is a very good thing!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-07-2006, 21:47
As Jack says, for the most part we all get alone in real life. We fuss and fued on the Net, but when we get together, we don't. Bfitz and I fuss about politics all the time, but I've met him and he's a nice fellow. Jack and I haven't seen eye to eye since my kind roamed the earth, but we also get along. The Net is not reality.

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 22:17

If that's code for "I'm a conservative", don't sweat it. We could use some balance in the force yonder. :D

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 22:25
You crack me up Skidsteer. Are you coming to the Southern Ruck?

I was.

But my half-witted Boss gave me a bonus and bought me a cruise to the Bahamas as a Christmas present. And he's paying me while I'm gone.

Bastard.

Alligator
12-07-2006, 22:30
I was.

But my half-witted Boss gave me a bonus and bought me a cruise to the Bahamas as a Christmas present. And he's paying me while I'm gone.

Bastard.You need to quit.

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 22:38
You need to quit.

I know! It's blatant manipulation.

Remember the proverbial frog? Being boiled by degrees? ;)

mdionne
12-07-2006, 23:41
She can't be serious, she's making excuses already...

I think your girlfriend found the excuse she was looking for.

This has to be the best excuse I have ever heard for not hiking. I'm using this one.

"Yeah honey, I would love to go to your mom's in Georgia but I hear they argue on forums down there".

If someone can't handle the rigors of an Internet hiking forum, where the only thing offensive is words, I find it hard to believe they can handle the rigors of the trail.

YMMV

are you guys joking? you make it sound like hiking the trail is hard or something.:rolleyes:

she knows the trail is full of people, that she will not go a single day without seeing another hiker. she came here to find out what a "community of AT enthusiasts" was like and found a lot of bickering over miles, rules and such...

unfortunately, i'm beginning to think she is looking for more peace and quiet than the AT can offer her. maybe the pct would be more suitable for her.

Are you unhappy that there are new people (like me) who are interested in thru hiking the AT? Do you find that the trail is overcrowded? I would think that most hikers would encourage people who are interested in hiking the AT.

:welcome to WB stuco. you might want to read up on a few threads and come back to this one.

Bravo
12-07-2006, 23:56
are you guys joking? you make it sound like hiking the trail is hard or something.:rolleyes:

No of course not. It's super eeezzzeee. LOL!

mindi
12-08-2006, 09:44
I've been a member of all kinds of forums (fishing, diving, etc. etc) and this kind of thing happens on ALL of them. It's just the nature of the internet. Skip over the stuff that ticks you off and don't get involved in the drama and you will learn a LOT from this site. I wouldn't have known where to begin in my dream of hiking the AT without WhiteBlaze.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the bickering you see here is between people who are actually friends. Tone is hard to read online.

:) Mindi

Lone Wolf
12-08-2006, 09:46
Any good lawyer forums out there?

Footslogger
12-08-2006, 09:47
I was.

Bastard.

===============================

Your employer have any openings ??

'Slogger

stuco
12-08-2006, 09:55
:welcome to WB stuco. you might want to read up on a few threads and come back to this one.

I've been read tons of threads on this subject, I realize that there have been fewer people each year sinc 2000. Just would like you to explain what you meant by this.

Blue Jay
12-09-2006, 01:02
Mdionne and bulleye, I hate to tell you this, and I'm sure it comes as a shook to you, but there are humans on the AT. Humans love to bicker, again you may be to dense to notice. It may be wise if you use the herd paths that the deer make, as they rarely bicker

ed bell
12-09-2006, 01:57
I've posted this link before about disscussion board personalities, and it does have a ring of truth to it when it comes to some of the "negative waves" that float around from time to time. I think I remember Mags as being the one who first pointed it out: http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/ (http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/) Search around this link, some of the "flame-warriors" might sound awful familliar. One thing I have noticed about this site, the threads with the most posts are probably the least helpful. Having said that, I really like the fact that all content here is available for review. If you get proficient at the advanced search, there is just about all the info you could ever hope to find on any backpacking site. Let alone the AT in general.:sun

TJ aka Teej
12-09-2006, 22:21
One of the most virulent hurler of insults on Whiteblaze turned out to be a nice guy when I met him in Baxter Park a couple of years ago.
Amazing! The very same thing happened to me! :D

No Belay
12-09-2006, 23:17
Any good lawyer forums out there?

good lawyer?:mad: Isn't that an oxymoron?