PDA

View Full Version : What a difference 7/8 oz makes...

Just Jeff
12-06-2006, 21:53
I was sleeping in my hammock two nights ago. My gear should have been good to about 30 F, but I woke up chilled...it was only in the high 40s, but my whole body was cold. What gives?

I forgot to put my hat on. I put on a 7/8 oz fleece beanie, and my whole body was warm in about 30 seconds. Amazing difference...it was almost immediate and my whole body was warm, and stayed warm for the rest of the night. Hats make a big difference when sleeping in a quilt.

Just thought I'd share.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-06-2006, 22:04
Checkout this study done in 1956 on head loss from the head (http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/10/2/235). They concluded you lose roughly half of the amount of heat generated by a body at rest thru your head! No wonder a hat is so important.

LostInSpace
12-06-2006, 22:17
I was sleeping in my hammock two nights ago. My gear should have been good to about 30 F, but I woke up chilled...it was only in the high 40s, but my whole body was cold. What gives?

I forgot to put my hat on. I put on a 7/8 oz fleece beanie, and my whole body was warm in about 30 seconds. Amazing difference...it was almost immediate and my whole body was warm, and stayed warm for the rest of the night. Hats make a big difference when sleeping in a quilt.

Just thought I'd share.

Jeff, I sure laughed at this comment. I let the heat in my house go down to 55 at night. Ever since I started shaving my head I had to start wearing a hat at night. Even a quarter inch of hair that I used to have made a difference. Now, I need that fleece eight of an inch! :D

Michele
12-06-2006, 22:20
Man, I totally believe this. I discovered years ago that I'll never be warm if I don't keep my head/ears totally covered in cold weather. When I go to bed at night, just here at home, if I'm chilled, I pull my down comforter over my ears and I feel instantly warm.

Almost There
12-06-2006, 22:23
There is a reason why before the advent of central heating people used to wear sleeping caps!!!:D

LostInSpace
12-06-2006, 22:30
There is a reason why before the advent of central heating people used to wear sleeping caps!!!:D

Try to find one of those these days. I have not been successful. If you can find a good Internet link, please post it. Stores that had them no longer have them in stock.

Critterman
12-06-2006, 23:05
Jeff, I sure laughed at this comment. I let the heat in my house go down to 55 at night. Ever since I started shaving my head I had to start wearing a hat at night. Even a quarter inch of hair that I used to have made a difference. Now, I need that fleece eight of an inch! :D

I know what you mean. I started getting a buzz cut last summer and man does my head get cold now! I like the shorter hair but I wear a hat alot more.

Just Jeff
12-07-2006, 04:53
My sleeping hat is a Mountain Hardware Fleece beanie that REI had on sale for less than $10. I later saw the same thing at Walmart for about $5, but the fleece isn't quite as soft and comfortable.

But are you talking about those long sleeping caps with the little fuzzball on the end like in the 'Twas the Night Before Christmas book? Closest thing I've seen is the fleece jester's caps...

I also just got a facemask...I like it b/c it's not a whole balaclava. It just covers from the top of my nose to under my chin, but not my neck. And wraps around my head, covering the bottom of my ears. That's great for sleeping, and maybe for hiking if it's really cold. It has breathing holes...breathing into my balaclava was never comfortable for me. Now I have a beanie, a separate facemask, and a separate neck gaiter. Being able to mix and match like that works better for me than just having a balaclava.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-07-2006, 06:01
I also just got a facemask...
Keep it on...all the time....seriously....:rolleyes: ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-07-2006, 07:12
For your in town sleeping hat needs:
http://www.wittmanntextiles.com/sleepcapandh.html
http://www.headcovers.com/item.php?next=0&cat=Sleep+Hats

peter_pan
12-07-2006, 08:39
Yup..and when it is really cold...treat the beanie or balaclava like the top most section of long handles... ie. always there, and have a hood or second hat for the insulation layer.

Here is a trick for summer...no hat you say and big temp drop... wear your bug net... it will make a big difference.

Pan

highway
12-07-2006, 09:05
I prefer hooded clothing since that same warm blood travels up the bare neck not covered by the whatever cap/hat. Plus, you never forget it. And its easy to regulate your body temp-just flip it back when warm, up when cold, and dont have to put it in a forgotten pocket.

Sleeping with it in a hammock is ideal, too, keeping another layer under that bare neck:D

I dont quite understand why so much reluctance against using hooded clothing for colder temps. If Marmont would go back to making a hooded version of their Dri-Clime Windshirt, it would be the perfect warm weather item for three-season hiking/trekking. I would love to find one of the older hooded ones in L or XL, if there arew any out there for sale;)

Just Jeff
12-07-2006, 12:55
Right now my raingear has a hood, so I wear that if it's windy. On the Winnemucca trip with the crazy winds, that's all I wore on my head while we were hiking. On the nights when I wear my raingear to bed, it's there if I need it.

Even though when it's raining I use a rain hat now, I don't think I'm gonna remove the hood. I'd hate to lose the hat and not have any raingear for my head...so even though I could probably save two ounces that I'll rarely use, it's a safety thing.

Keep it on...all the time....seriously....:rolleyes: ;)

Yer a buttnose. :D

Footslogger
12-07-2006, 12:59
[quote=peter_pan;281558]Yup..and when it is really cold...treat the beanie or balaclava like the top most section of long handles... ie. always there, and have a hood or second hat for the insulation layer.
=======================================

Couldn't agree more. Years ago when I noticed the onset of follicle challenge I realized the importance and comfort of a hat at night. Even an extremely light weight synthetic skull cap contains the heat normally lost and helps me stay warm all over.

Never leave home without one ...

'Slogger