PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

Boat Drinks
12-06-2006, 21:57
I have read a lot of posts regarding people who swim/bathe in streams and rivers etc on or near the trail and many who say that they don't want folks swimming/bathing in their water supply. What is the rule of thumb here? Do folks swim and bathe without soap and is this OK? Biodegradable soap? Is it OK to come upon a nice looking river or stream in the summer and take a dip or not?

RAT
12-06-2006, 22:03
I dont see that many people would be getting their water supply directly from a creek or stream etc, but rather thru a supply deep within the earth below the bedrock as in a well, etc., so I dont see how swimming could affect anything. Using soap biodegradable or not I would think would be a no no, it would be best for the environment to get water and go at least 200 feet away from said water supply for bathing (same rules as applied in national parks etc) but swimming or taking a dip seems fine in IMO. It is public lands after all and locals wouldnt have any say so over it, long as you arent contaminating it. Just my take on this.

RAT

Boat Drinks
12-06-2006, 22:07
Don't hikers draw water for their supplies from creeks and streams?

Bravo
12-06-2006, 23:56
Yes we do. That doesn't mean you can't rinse off in them. I wouldn't go jumping in right up steam from some folks collecting water but there's nothing wrong with taking a dip in my opinion.

Mr. Clean
12-07-2006, 05:10
If you must swim or bathe in a stream off the trail, do so downstream from the trail, although with switchbacks, some one could be drinking from it below you. Best bet is to take water up the banking a bit in a container and wash the worst off that way before jumping in.

highway
12-07-2006, 09:10
Don't hikers draw water for their supplies from creeks and streams?

You will most likely be too busy hiking. Besides you are never more than a few days from a hot indoor shower so why consider submerging yourself in a coldmountain stream, which most certainly would make your fellow hikers a little pi$$ed!

Bravo
12-07-2006, 09:17
so why consider submerging yourself in a coldmountain stream, which most certainly would make your fellow hikers a little pi$$ed!

Personally splashing water on my face directly in the stream or taking a quick dip feels great. That's part of the fun of hiking for me. The animals do it so why can't we. Since I've been hiking the past 4 years in the desert I can't wait to see all those streams along the AT. But that's just me.:)

highway
12-07-2006, 09:23
Splashing is fine; bathing is not.

Grampie
12-07-2006, 10:14
While hiking through Maine as a SOBO during the months of July and August it was hot. I had many opportunities to go for a dip, once or twice a day, in one of the many ponds and streams along the way. Never considered that I was polluteing the water.
I ,as did many others, would frequently stop at a stream and wash a bit or soak our feet. It happens all the time. I don't see, doing this, as a problem.
If you are realy concerned than use the 4-H pool, just off the trail on VA602. That was a very nice stop on a very hot day.:cool:

DawnTreader
12-07-2006, 14:24
Grampie,
I was there too, and I'll tell you what, If I wasn't supposed to swim in East Carrey Pond, at that little sand beach, with that most excellent view, if I wasn't supposed to take my pack off and strip to my scivies and jump right in, then I don't want to have anything to do with the trail for the rest of my life..
as for bathing in streams?? now thats a different story.. you should go downstream, and absolutely not use any soap, biodegradable or otherwise.. It would be preferable to get a water bag, or as I found Just Jeffs pack cover from JRB, get your boat load of water and take it back to camp for a quick clean up...

Grampie
12-07-2006, 14:36
Grampie,
I was there too, and I'll tell you what, If I wasn't supposed to swim in East Carrey Pond, at that little sand beach, with that most excellent view, if I wasn't supposed to take my pack off and strip to my scivies and jump right in, then I don't want to have anything to do with the trail for the rest of my life..

Dawn, Looks like we enjoyed the same spot. I liked it so much that I piched my tent on that sandy beach and spent the night. I waded out in the water and took a great picture.:sun

DawnTreader
12-07-2006, 14:45
I stayed for over 2 hours, was so sun weary, that I barely had enough energy to make it to west carrey leanto.. the original plan was to push to little bigelow.... What a wonderful day.. I will remember it always..

TurkeyBacon
12-10-2006, 13:23
Swimming and bathing are two completely different things. Regardless of what is said, biodedegradable soap is just as bad as normal soap for the environment. It is best to use soap away from the water and to bring the water to you. If you do not use soap, then you are probably not the only one to take a dip in that water. Swimming was great when it could happen. You will definately find all sorts of swimming holes. When I went swimming I would rub down to try and remove some sweat and grime off of me. Using soap in the water is not adviseable but simply being in the water is perfectly normal.
Also, swimming holes and water sources are not the same. Water sources (for hikers) were usually too small for swimming and if it was that large, then the dilution factor will keep it safe. With small water sources, dip your feet downstream. Dipping your feet in a trail side stream is also different then dipping them in the spring behind the shelter. Use common sence.
I actually hiked with a woman named Road Runner who would bath with soap DAILY. She used a nalgene and soap well away from the water source.
TB

Benjamin Bio
01-16-2011, 19:21
Well, assuming you had entirely non-toxic, biodegradable, organic bar soap and the water source was either not a drinking source or one that was downstream from the source, I really don't see the objection and would certainly prefer bathing like that to motel showers any day.

Odd Man Out
01-16-2011, 20:37
Soap should not be used in streams or lakes, but when used to wash up in the woods (away from water sources) should be no problem.

I am confused though about the term "biodegradable" soap. I did some quick reading on-line and found all sorts of questionable claims, comments, misconceptions, etc.

The phrase "biodegradable soap" is like saying "edible ice cream". Marketing biodegradable soap is bit like marketing butter as "all natural margarine".

Soap (in its pure form) is in fact quite natural and biodegradable. What you need to avoid are detergents. These synthetic molecules are less biodegradable, as a rule. Also there are additives to soap that a hiker would be wise to avoid. Namely fragrances (attracts critters) and phosphates (disrupt nutrient balance in aquatic ecosystems).

You don't have to buy exotic camping, organic, or "all natural" products to get this. Ivory soap is cheap, easy to find, and just plain soap.

Feral Bill
01-16-2011, 20:53
You don't have to buy exotic camping, organic, or "all natural" products to get this. Ivory soap is cheap, easy to find, and just plain soap.[/QUOTE]

But its .56% impure!:)

fiddlehead
01-16-2011, 21:23
I see nothing wrong with bathing in steams, creeks, ponds, or lakes on or near the trail.
I have been bothered already with people washing their kids diapers out in streams.
But bathing? Why not?

Tinker
01-16-2011, 23:07
"Biodegradable soaps" are designed to degrade in the soil. Do not use them in streams and ponds. :)
I researched the heck out of this several years ago. Bring a contractor's trash bag to carry water into the woods to wash up. A contractor's bag is wonderful for washing clothing, too.

DapperD
01-16-2011, 23:23
Soap should not be used in streams or lakes, but when used to wash up in the woods (away from water sources) should be no problem.

You don't have to buy exotic camping, organic, or "all natural" products to get this. Ivory soap is cheap, easy to find, and just plain soap.Very good points.

Slo-go'en
01-16-2011, 23:46
Washing your hands and face fairly often does feel good, especially when it starts getting hot out. But PLEASE do it well away from the water source. A plastic grocery bag is a good way to carry water away from the source to wash in. It is very light, has handles and you can get a new one every time you go shopping.

You will come across many little creeks and streams suitable for soaking your feet in. Streams and rivers large enough to swin in are rare, but there are a few. NJ and NY have a number of nice ponds to wade or take a dip in. The ones in Maine are way too cold!

VTK8
01-17-2011, 00:06
This is secondhand information so do with it what you will. A friend of mine once conversed with an aquatic biologist about backcountry sanitation, and he was adamant that soap (yes, even Dr. Bronner's!) should only be used well away from running water sources, and preferably rinsed into a sump hole. His reasoning was that fish have an epidermal mucus layer that is necessary for them to thermoregulate. Soap in the water, even small amounts, can disrupt or scrub off that layer.

It sounds reasonable to me, and I like fish, so now I use soap well away from streams.