PDA

View Full Version : REI Anti-Freeze Down Jacket

stringbean
12-07-2006, 02:10
Does anyone own this jacket or has anyone looked into getting one? Any thoughts or opinions? I am looking for an affordable down jacket to add to my xmas list and it is on sale for $100. I like the Montbell UL Down Jacket but it doesn't have a hood, which is a feature I would like.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-07-2006, 07:40
I have the women's REI Radiance (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47811889&parent_category_rn=4501870&vcat=REI_SSHP_WOMENS_CLOTHING_TOC) - the 650 fill power non-hooded - and am very happy with it.

I prefer the hood be on my rainwear and unlined - I use a windproof, breathable fleece beanie or balaclava underneath in cold weather - this is also part of my sleep gear. This allows me more flexiblity than an attached hood.

chicote
12-07-2006, 13:56
Does anyone own this jacket or has anyone looked into getting one? Any thoughts or opinions? I am looking for an affordable down jacket to add to my xmas list and it is on sale for $100. I like the Montbell UL Down Jacket but it doesn't have a hood, which is a feature I would like.

Campsaver_has_multiple_montbell_down_goodies_you_c ould_check_there_and_there_is_a_coupon_for_20perce nt_off_just_PM_me_and_I'll_hook_you_up._Forsomerea sonemyspacebarisn'tworking.

rswanson
12-07-2006, 16:31
My wife has the women's version, the Davos. I don't think it's as warm as Patagonia's down jacket but my guess is it's warmer than the Montbell you have. She likes the hood, especially if she's sleeping in the jacket as she's not a big fan of cinching her sleeping bag hood down tight. The jacket is well thought out but may be too feature-rich for ultralighters. The volume adjustment on the back of the hood really helps get a snug fit. The jacket is very compressible. At 18 ounces for a women's medium, its a decent compromise, especially with the hood. To my knowledge, it's lighter than every other hooded down jacket in the price range. At $100, I think it looks like a real steal. I don't know that you can get a 700+ FP down jacket near that price tag.

Sly
12-07-2006, 18:31
The REI Anti-Freeze down jacket isn't just on sale it's at a reduced price, which means that's the new price, until they sell out.