PDA

View Full Version : December 7th

leeki pole
12-07-2006, 10:48
Lest we forget the sacrifices made to allow us to have the freedom to hike the trails that we love, please take a moment today to remember the brave souls that gave their lives on this day at Pearl Harbor.

US Army: 218 KIA, 364 WIA
US Navy: 2,008 KIA, 710 WIA
USMC: 109 KIA, 69 WIA
Civilians: 68 KIA, 35 WIA
Total: 2,403 KIA, 1,178 WIA

Thanks to all that have served and are currently serving our great country. I for one appreciate each and every one of you, and support your dedication and bravery. :sun

weary
12-07-2006, 13:40
Lest we forget the sacrifices made to allow us to have the freedom to hike the trails that we love, please take a moment today to remember the brave souls that gave their lives on this day at Pearl Harbor.

US Army: 218 KIA, 364 WIA
US Navy: 2,008 KIA, 710 WIA
USMC: 109 KIA, 69 WIA
Civilians: 68 KIA, 35 WIA
Total: 2,403 KIA, 1,178 WIA

Thanks to all that have served and are currently serving our great country. I for one appreciate each and every one of you, and support your dedication and bravery. :sun
I remember the day vividly. We had a giant radio that stood on high legs. The speaker faced the floor. I was 12 years old, lying on the floor in order to hear better, and thinking. "We are at war and we could lose."

By happenstance I just finished reading Doris Goodwin's homefront history of the war and the decisions that took this country from being almost totally unprepared to victory. It's an amazing story.

Her latest book had been favorably reviewed and when I went to buy a copy, I spied her earlier book that had won the Pulitzer Prize being remaindered for $5.99 so I bought that instead. It's the best World War II history I've seen.

Weary

Ender
12-07-2006, 13:45
Am I remembering correctly that Paw Paw was actually there during the attack? I met Paw Paw during my '98 hike (though I don't know if he was hiking that year or not, or just hanging out with the Blue Blazers).

Just curious. This post just sparked a memory of him.

Pacific Tortuga
12-07-2006, 14:06
AMEN and bless all who have, are and will serve our nation.

Blissful
12-07-2006, 14:09
AMEN and bless all who have, are and will serve our nation.

And I second an amen to that.

May we never forget Pearl Harbor OR 9/11....

DawnTreader
12-07-2006, 15:01
Lest we never forget those who made us possible

littlelaurel59
12-07-2006, 18:54
I had an uncle who was there that day (survived). He and his 3 brothers (my dad included) all served in WWII. Heroes all. Although my dad will say he was only doing what he was told to do (In my book. Hero = one who does what he has to do in the face of great danger). There are heroes from
WWI and II, Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf Wars.

I visited the Arizona Memorial a few years ago while in Hawaii. It was one of the most emotionally overwhelming experiences of my life.

weary
12-07-2006, 19:08
By happenstance I just finished reading Doris Goodwin's homefront history of the war and the decisions that took this country from being almost totally unprepared to victory. It's an amazing story.
Her latest book had been favorably reviewed and when I went to buy a copy, I spied her earlier book that had won the Pulitzer Prize being remaindered for $5.99 so I bought that instead. It's the best World War II history I've seen.
Weary
For those who may be interested, the book's title is "No Ordinary Time." It's one of the more fascinating historical books I've read in recent years. I was particularly struck by the paralels and contrasts with the current situation in the Middleeast. It's an account of Presidential leadership in a different and wiser time.

Weary

RAT
12-07-2006, 19:21
Am I remembering correctly that Paw Paw was actually there during the attack? I met Paw Paw during my '98 hike (though I don't know if he was hiking that year or not, or just hanging out with the Blue Blazers).

Just curious. This post just sparked a memory of him.

You are exactly right and he was the first I thought of on this day as well. PawPaw is a dear friend of mine and has been for many yrs. and as the story goes, since all the troops had been given that Sunday off and were all sleeping in that morning when the attack came, PawPaw who was a member of the company boxing team was out running and training that morning and was not on the ship which probly saved his life, that and it wasnt his time to go, he was destined to hike the trail a few times and hang out with us blue-blazing hobo hiker trash from hell ! He lost alot of dear friends that day and tears come to his eyes every time he speaks of it. We should never forget this day nor the ones that continue to give their all for our freedoms. To those that are gone but not forgotten and those that are here I say "Thank You and God Bless" .

RAT

StarLyte
12-07-2006, 19:48
Yes, today I thought of those who sacrificed to make our freedom possible.

How could one forget. :sun

Smile
12-07-2006, 20:07
Thanks for the post, good to remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation.

Brushy Sage
12-07-2006, 20:29
I was 12 yrs old. My family and I were moving, and we were driving through Charlotte, NC, when I heard a newsboy calling out, "Extra, extra, Pearl Harbor is attacked, and US at war." My dad went into the Navy and was a medical corpsman at the Navy med center in Bethesda. In another war, I was a hospital chaplain at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, just a few miles from where my dad had served. Lots of memories from various wars. Dec 7 is always a day of special note to me. Thanks for your remembering.

bfitz
12-07-2006, 20:43
Relevant post from the other thread...

Paw Paw was there? Wow.

It's also my mom's birthday. My granpa walked through a minefield every day for a week in the hopes of getting the telegram! Can you imagine? He wasn't at pearl harbor but he was at D-day.

Lone Wolf
12-07-2006, 23:02
I thought of Paw Paw quite a bit today.

hammock engineer
12-07-2006, 23:30
Certain things I hope we never forget.

I Grandpa also served in WWII. He as in the Marines in the Pacific.

If anyone is ever in New Orleans I highly recommend the D Day museum. I has other WWII things in there than just the D Day invasion. It is well worth checking out.

Lone Wolf
12-07-2006, 23:39
Worth a few minutes http://oldbluejacket.com/12-07-1941.htm

oruoja
12-07-2006, 23:41
On the ride to work today I was listening to a radio program where a survey revealed almost half of or $12K+/yr educated youth did not know what December 7th represented in our history. This in a state (Vt) that recently was announced to be one of the "smartest states" in some other survey. Sad and amazing, but not surprising. Back on Memorial Day I was getting gas here in the Burlington area when about twenty well identified veteran motorcylists pulled in to refuel while over a hundred passed by on their procession and a young lady of about 18 to 20 in age standing nearby looked confused and asked one of them what the occasion was. Anyway, it's a privilege to know WWII veterans and to have met a Pearl Harbor survivor.

Jack Tarlin
12-07-2006, 23:44
People also might want to check out the D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA. It's not far off I-81. Bag 'o Trix and I visited a couple of years ago and it was absolutely worth the visit.

Thanx Leeki for starting this thread.

Mountain Maiden
12-08-2006, 00:35
You are exactly right and he was the first I thought of on this day as well. PawPaw is a dear friend of mine and has been for many yrs. and as the story goes, since all the troops had been given that Sunday off and were all sleeping in that morning when the attack came, PawPaw who was a member of the company boxing team was out running and training that morning and was not on the ship which probly saved his life, that and it wasnt his time to go, he was destined to hike the trail a few times and hang out with us blue-blazing hobo hiker trash from hell ! He lost alot of dear friends that day and tears come to his eyes every time he speaks of it. We should never forget this day nor the ones that continue to give their all for our freedoms. To those that are gone but not forgotten and those that are here I say "Thank You and God Bless" .

RAT

Poignant post, Rat. Thanks for sharing. Thanks to all who served and serve today.

Sunny:sun

skeeterfeeder
12-08-2006, 00:49
On the ride to work today I was listening to a radio program where a survey revealed almost half of or $12K+/yr educated youth did not know what December 7th represented in our history. This in a state (Vt) that recently was announced to be one of the "smartest states" in some other survey. Sad and amazing, but not surprising. Back on Memorial Day I was getting gas here in the Burlington area when about twenty well identified veteran motorcylists pulled in to refuel while over a hundred passed by on their procession and a young lady of about 18 to 20 in age standing nearby looked confused and asked one of them what the occasion was. Anyway, it's a privilege to know WWII veterans and to have met a Pearl Harbor survivor.

That reminds me of the day I passed the Audie Murphy memorial on the trail. Several thru's went by without stopping and one stopped to smoke a cigarette by the side trail. As I was leaving I asked if he was going to go up to the monument. He shook his head and said he didn't have time. I was a little shocked, to say the least.

The freedom of the trail doesn't have the same valuable as when you stop and think about its price.

K0OPG
12-10-2006, 12:54
Great thread,

Thanks LWolf for the video. It was awe-inspiring. I also am greatful to those who have served. My father did three tours in Vietnam with the air force and my step-father was a Marine in Korea.

To all those that say thanks for serving, I say thank you for remembering those of us who have served and to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice while serving.

May God Bless all those in service now and especially those in Iraq and Afghanistan. May He keep them safe to return to their families.

Thanks again,

bigcranky
12-10-2006, 15:14
It was totally coincidental, but I enlisted in the A

Lone Wolf
12-10-2006, 15:15
And what exactly is A?

bigcranky
12-10-2006, 15:15
Argh, hate when that happens. I enlisted in the Army on Pearl Harbor Day in 1982. Every year I can't help but reflect on the service and sacrifice of all those who helped us win WWII, including my uncle Nick (RIP).

bigcranky
12-10-2006, 15:16
you are quick on the draw today, LW

Lone Wolf
12-10-2006, 15:16
Okay. Gotcha.:)