PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker!

stuco
12-07-2006, 11:16
Well, this is my first post after checking out this fantastic forum for the past few days. My sister and I are strongly considering a thru-hike two years from now. I have found this forum to be very helpful and am sure I will be using it regularly. Thanks

Frosty
12-07-2006, 11:17
Well, this is my first post after checking out this fantastic forum for the past few days. My sister and I are strongly considering a thru-hike two years from now. I have found this forum to be very helpful and am sure I will be using it regularly. ThanksWelcome. This is the best place on the internet for info and discussion about the AT.

Skidsteer
12-07-2006, 11:27
Welcome to WB, Stuco.

:welcome

Ewker
12-07-2006, 11:27
:welcome , sit back and start reading. Lots of info on the AT, ultralight backpacking, food, gear, etc,etc

hammock engineer
12-07-2006, 11:37
Welcome.

I started reading WB a little over a year ago. It had been very helpful in planning my thru next year. Take a look at the cottage industry gear that is disscussed here. There are some really good lightweight options out there made and designed by some of the people that post here.

Grinds
12-07-2006, 11:47
Welcome Stuco. If you an read the entire Minnesota Smith forum, you can do anything. The sky's the limit.

moondoggy
12-07-2006, 16:20
Welcome Stuco;;;;;;

Read as much as you can.....and don't be afraid to ask questions. I did earlier this year and got some great tips....heck, we had our first hike planned for us by WB member and now we'er hooked.....

Deerleg
12-08-2006, 17:20
I wish this was around twenty-five or thirty years ago when some of us started going on overnighters. Lots of trial and error…how does that saying go…”learn from your mistakes and be smart, learn from others and be wise”… Every hike I take is better than the last, in part because of the nuggets gleaned from this community. Good Luck and be Wise. :)

RAT
12-08-2006, 21:11
BIG WB Welcome to ya !

RAT

hopefulhiker
12-08-2006, 21:59
Welcome, One thing that helped me on this forum was to post a gear list and some of the veterans "shook it down" before the big hike.. There is a lot of knowledge here..not necessarily from me though..

halftime
12-08-2006, 22:22
:welcome and good luck in preparing for your hike

emerald
12-08-2006, 23:22
:welcome and congratulations! You've found us. Now what can we do to help you?;)

FanaticFringer
12-08-2006, 23:28
Happy Hangin...err...I meant Hiking to ya.........

TJ aka Teej
12-08-2006, 23:40
Well, this is my first post after checking out this fantastic forum for the past few days.

:welcome to WhiteBlaze, stuco and sister!

Blissful
12-09-2006, 00:26
Glad you're here. You learn a lot.

warraghiyagey
12-09-2006, 05:19
Welcome Stuco and Sis,

I didn't want to know anything about hiking the AT until I experienced it myself. But I relented about two months before I left Katahdin last June and started reading the side bar articles to the left side of the home page. I was glad I did and don't think I missed any of the learning as I wnt experience.
The articles are fairly quick reads and contain everything from nutrition to safety, scheduling, gear, etc.
They are all helpful and send you to the trail with all the knowledge you'll need. Everything else is stuff you're supposed to learn along the way. By the way, the one piece of advice I thought didn't apply to my stout frame and hearty soul was attention to pack weight. I left Monson with my pack 25 pounds lighter than at Katahdin with 5 days of food. And that made all the difference. And sock liners. And of course the great breakfast at Shaws.
Welcome and enjoy your hike.