PDA

View Full Version : R my boots made for walkin?

swantekkie
12-07-2006, 17:06
I have a pair of New balance low cut hiking shoes/boots will these be adaquite with some gaitors or if i will need something with a little more ankle support. They are very comfy and well broken in so if i could use these i would be happy but if not, what is a good lightweight alterative?

Ender
12-07-2006, 17:16
If they're comfortable, they'll work.

As for ankle support, that varies from person to person. Many many people now use low top hiking shoes which offer no ankle support, and that works fine for them. Some people require more support. Just depends.

So I say if those boots work for you, then keep them.

swantekkie
12-07-2006, 17:57
I used to skateboard alot so i consider to have pretty strong ankles, so i think they should do fine. Also do u suggest gaitors?

highway
12-07-2006, 18:17
My opinion is that gaiters are a relic of a bygone era, not to mention they are somewhat goofy, peculiar looking. I dont see why you should use them with any footwear.

Ender
12-07-2006, 18:19
For me, gaiters never really kept out the rain that well, though they did help a little. I've mostly been using the scree gaiters when I do decide to use gaiters. They aren't waterproof, but they help to keep stones and sticks and whatnot out of your shoes.

Still though, most of the time now I just don't bother. I would carry them though for the early months of the season, when it'll be raining a lot and still relatively cold. For summer, there's just no real reason to wear them.

YMMV...

bigcranky
12-07-2006, 21:48
Gaiters are very useful (maybe required) when using low-cut shoes in snow. Other than that, they are a personal choice.

-Ghost-
12-07-2006, 22:38
Also, id say how much ankle support depends on how much weight you will be carrying. Lighter load generally needs less ankle support.

hammock engineer
12-07-2006, 22:56
I have a pair of New balance low cut hiking shoes/boots will these be adaquite with some gaitors or if i will need something with a little more ankle support. They are very comfy and well broken in so if i could use these i would be happy but if not, what is a good lightweight alterative?

How very is your pack? I have strong ankles but I would not want to carry much over 30 lbs without more ankle support. Rock talks about this somewhere on his site. www.hikinghq.net (http://www.hikinghq.net)

I like gaiters and trail runners. I am having problems with the cord on the bottom. The trail runners have a contunious sole and keep eating up the bottom cord on the gaiters. HOI suggested using zelcro on the back to hold them to the shoe. I started another thread on this.