PDA

View Full Version : pack size?

swantekkie
12-07-2006, 17:55
I have a question for u thru hikers out there. I have had the REI rising star backpack for a long time, probly 6 years with no problems and nothing has broken so i trust it is a reliable pack. But i am curious if it will be adaquite for a thru hike. It only has 3300inchs of space but i am planning on trying to keep my pack light but am trying not to do many postal drops. Will this pack suffice with all my stuff and 5-7 days of food. Comments?

Ender
12-07-2006, 18:01
Depends on the gear you carry. It's right on the edge of the light and ultra-light pack size (at least by my own personal thoughts... others may vary), so it could go either way.

Get all your other gear, and then see if it'll work. If not, time to get a new pack. If so, then you're golden.

swantekkie
12-07-2006, 18:10
thanx for the info

Cuffs
12-07-2006, 18:17
I just downsized from 4600+ ci to about 3100ci. Yes, it will all fit. The smaller pack will make you get rid of any and all unecessary items. (as I was told would happen, by many WB'ers! Thanks folks!)

I was deeply troubled at first that I would never get enough gear for a thru into that small of a pack, but it will go!

Good luck on your gear and your hike!

Ender
12-07-2006, 18:20
For what it's worth, I have managed to cram a weekend hikes worth of gear into a 1700ci pack, so it's totally doable. Just depends on the gear you take, and the gear you don't take.

mountain squid
12-07-2006, 19:15
As already stated, it all depends on how bulky the rest of your gear is. One thing I'd mention, though, is that 5-7 days of food is generally too much. You'll probably average 4-5 days, max. You might need 5 or more days if you skip Gatlinburg and maybe again in the 100 mi Wilderness. Other than that, it is easy enough to get into a town for resupply.

If you haven't got all your other gear finalized, keep researching. Making good gear decisions now will save you bundles. Too many people don't realize this until reaching Neels Gap...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

swantekkie
12-07-2006, 19:36
ya i wasnted really sure about the food situation so that info helps, thanx