PDA

View Full Version : Antietam Shelter

Papa Bear
06-01-2003, 13:15
A lovely spot with a flowing creek in front. A small 1940s era structure but in good shape.

Here's (http://gallery.backcountry.net/papabear_2003_HF_Duncannon/abz) a picture of the shelter.

And here's one (http://gallery.backcountry.net/papabear_2003_HF_Duncannon/aby) of the creek.

Pb

twilight
03-13-2004, 00:50
Was at Antietam Shelter this past weekend 04/06/04. Very nice older shelter!I've never been at a shelter that had a place to put your dirty boots at! By the way is that what that's for? :confused: :confused: :confused: You have the shelter opening then step down, then the raised shelter floor???

Anyway about the re-lo, looks likr the old foot bridge washed out or something. New foot bridge installed and just a few yards from old one! Follow the blazes!

Twilight :jump

steve hiker
03-13-2004, 00:58
Why does Antietam always look like Vietnam?

Garlic
05-24-2005, 08:14
When did they renovate this shelter? When I did the trail in 1994, this place was iin such poor shape that is was difficult to find level to lay the bag. It looks quite nice now.

Programbo
08-08-2006, 21:09
I second that question..I stayed at this shelter probably 10 times back in the early - mid 70`s and it looked rough then so I know there`s no way thirty some years later this is still the same physical shelter

CampTim
06-08-2007, 10:26
Does anyone know if it's ok/safe/cool to leave a car parked in the parking lot at the baseball field near Antietam Shelter overnight? I'm planning on doing some Trail Magic in that area soon and want to spend the night at Antietam.

wilconow
06-08-2007, 10:30
Does anyone know if it's ok/safe/cool to leave a car parked in the parking lot at the baseball field near Antietam Shelter overnight? I'm planning on doing some Trail Magic in that area soon and want to spend the night at Antietam.

I have left a car @ Old Forge before, but I believe I had to call Michaux State Forest to give them info. (717) 352-2211

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/michaux.aspx

Lyle
06-08-2007, 17:47
If I remember right, you should not drink the H2O from the creek. Not even after treatment. Need to get your water from the ball field.

I did find real nice TM there last summer, cold drinks, snacks, watermelon, etc.

mweinstone
06-08-2007, 18:18
does this shelter not suck?

CampTim
06-08-2007, 22:14
Matthewski,
As far as I can recall, when I passed by this shelter last year it was an absolutely gorgeous setting. Although it's probably closer to a road than is desirable, the river is great and there are a bunch of good tent spots. Don't remember the structure of the shelter all that well.

Undershaft
06-25-2007, 16:06
The shelter (as of 5/26/07) was in good repair, but was rather dirty. The stream makes it a nice location, and the water at the park is very good and convenient (just steps from the trail). There is a really nice tent site on the opposite side of the stream with a picnic table. According to the register, locals visit this shelter often. I didn't see a lot of evidence of partying, but lots of entires about smoking pot. I was there on a saturday night and only saw 4 other hikers and a local fisherman.

Mishigami Manitou
07-05-2007, 15:16
One giant bee hive - aside from the thought that it might collapse on you in the middle of the night. Stay away from this shelter. Walk the couple of miles north to Tumbling Run.

cathy
04-28-2008, 10:48
This one was the pits. Its dirty, small, and abused by the locals. The privy is the best thing but its a long ways off .

wystiria
05-28-2009, 11:21
stopped in for a break 5/25 - older shelters, looked fairly used. I wouldn't bother staying her and would stay at the near by tumbling run (we did)

Pootz
06-18-2009, 15:50
M&M, T-Max and I did trail magic in the park near the shelter. Perfect spot right next to the trail. About 30 thru hikers came through during the weekend. All enjoyed a hot meal and cold drinks. Many stayed for a couple meals. We really enjoyed meeting all of them and cooking Breakfast, lunch and dinner was also fun. Is is nice to help out people when they really appreciate it.

The shelter is in good shape and the stream makes for a nice setting. Water is available in the park, .1 from shelter.

IronGutsTommy
01-13-2011, 13:52
passed the shelter in november 2010, now adorned with a huge swastika (classy). i recommend skipping this shelter, tumbling run is only one mile north of it and deer licks only 2.4 miles south of it and both are much nicer. as for the spring, theres a park only a quarter mile north of antietam with a year round water spigot.

Tenderheart
01-13-2011, 15:07
I wonder how far this shelter is from the famous Civil War battle?

litefoot 2000

Helios
01-13-2011, 16:12
I wonder how far this shelter is from the famous Civil War battle?

litefoot 2000

The shelter is along Antietam creek, but over 20 miles from the battlefield.

swamp dawg
01-13-2011, 18:25
I stayed at this shelter in early April several years back. At that time of year the landscape around the shelter was beautiful and peaceful. I remarked to Stinger that it was hard to belive that so many soldiers had perished trying to cross the creek a few miles from this spot.

IronGutsTommy
01-14-2011, 18:06
yeah the battlefields a good distance off but around this area and the fayetteville/gettysburg area you cant help but think of all the lives lost.

NinjaFace
07-06-2011, 13:21
could be a nice old shelter, but gets used frequently by locals. Seems to be always be pretty messy. Awesome camping down stream, on the south side of the creek.

Debbie
08-30-2013, 10:08
Does anyone know what is the problem with the water in the creek?

bighammer
05-07-2019, 07:57
Sounds like it's no longer there-- I read it was moved over the weekend to Cowans Gap State Park.

Don H
05-08-2019, 19:32
Sounds like it's no longer there-- I read it was moved over the weekend to Cowans Gap State Park.

More info in this thread, but yes it has been moved. https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/133143-FYI-Antietam-shelter-PA-a-Requiem