PDA

View Full Version : Money

swantekkie
12-07-2006, 19:52
After gear and planned meals how much extra money is ideal for a thru hike?

Jack Tarlin
12-07-2006, 20:17
There is no "ideal" budget.

People have hiked on $1,500, and on $10,000.

But for most folks $3000 to $4500 seems sufficient.

bfitz
12-07-2006, 20:31
6k or more if you are into touring towns and attractions, have a high frequency of submission to temptations like multiple zero days in town, partying, drinking, smoking etc. or run into gear replacement issues or medical needs. Having a "last resort" credit card on hand would be a good idea, don't use it until all other resources are depleted. Food resupply can be more expensive than you'd think based on your local grocery store's prices.

rickb
12-07-2006, 20:33
My guess is that Jack missed the part of your post that read "After planned meals".

But I could be wrong. Jack?

hammock engineer
12-07-2006, 20:34
After gear and planned meals how much extra money is ideal for a thru hike?

One million dollars.:D

I am going to shoot for having $5K in the bank and leave on a budget of $3-4K That will leave extra for emergencies. I haven't thru hiked yet. But this is what my plan is.

bfitz
12-07-2006, 20:41
I'm too impulsive to have planned meals...how much is set aside already for food?

Jack Tarlin
12-07-2006, 21:00
"Planned meals" could mean different things.

If he's planning to send himself ALL or most of his food instead of purchasing it en route, this will probably save him some money, even when considering postage.

But as far as towns are concerned, I dunno what is meant by a "planned meal." When some folks hit town, all they want is a couple of Big Macs. Other folks want a steak dinner with all the trimmings. Some folks drink. Some don't. So when it comes to "planning meals" and planning for meal money in towns, one could spend ten bucks every time one gets to town or several hundred.

To clarify: After initial expenses for gear and transportation to the Trailhead, in my experience most folks spend between $3000 to $4500 in the course of their trips, tho plenty of folks spend more. This includes money spent on food, both Trail food and town/restaurant meals. Most younger hikers tend to spend more time in towns and hostels, and go out more (i.e. beer).

But everyone is different.

LEGS
12-08-2006, 00:59
"Planned meals" could mean different things.

If he's planning to send himself ALL or most of his food instead of purchasing it en route, this will probably save him some money, even when considering postage.

But as far as towns are concerned, I dunno what is meant by a "planned meal." When some folks hit town, all they want is a couple of Big Macs. Other folks want a steak dinner with all the trimmings. Some folks drink. Some don't. So when it comes to "planning meals" and planning for meal money in towns, one could spend ten bucks every time one gets to town or several hundred.

To clarify: After initial expenses for gear and transportation to the Trailhead, in my experience most folks spend between $3000 to $4500 in the course of their trips, tho plenty of folks spend more. This includes money spent on food, both Trail food and town/restaurant meals. Most younger hikers tend to spend more time in towns and hostels, and go out more (i.e. beer).

But everyone is different.

thanks for the compliment Jack, being that i spent more money on beer than any other single item during my last hike i guess that makes me a young hiker.
Thanks again, but i spent very little time in town, so i guess i'm just a beer drinker,huh. Thats ok to cause i like it,the more there is the better, and it wasnt always the young'uns spending time in town, lotsa ol farts doing the same. don't know where you get all this info you spout but sometimes i have to agree with Wolf, you are a jackass. Have a merry,merry christmas and a grand new year.

Jack Tarlin
12-08-2006, 18:44
That was actually pretty funny! :D

How many brews did you consume before posting?

Actually, LEGS, spending more money on beer than anything else on your hike doesn't make you young, it merely means you enjoy taking a drink when the occasion presents itself. Which is fine. Everyone has different priorities, I'm glad you're happy with yours. Most older (i.e. plus 60) hikers spend extra money on better meals and better lodging (i.e. getting their own motel rooms instead of splitting one five ways), but I'm sure everyone is different.

But the 3000-4500 figure is based on over a decade of observation, as opposed to just one or two long hikes, and for most folks, I think it's accurate. LEGS is welcome to disagree.

LEGS
12-08-2006, 20:18
That was actually pretty funny! :D

How many brews did you consume before posting?

Actually, LEGS, spending more money on beer than anything else on your hike doesn't make you young, it merely means you enjoy taking a drink when the occasion presents itself. Which is fine. Everyone has different priorities, I'm glad you're happy with yours. Most older (i.e. plus 60) hikers spend extra money on better meals and better lodging (i.e. getting their own motel rooms instead of splitting one five ways), but I'm sure everyone is different.

But the 3000-4500 figure is based on over a decade of observation, as opposed to just one or two long hikes, and for most folks, I think it's accurate. LEGS is welcome to disagree.

Just like i always figured , you do have a sense of humor , just wanted to show some folks ya do. have a good one . tell all up that way i said ,Hey! miss you guys , hope the holidays treat ya well. take care. And keep on
smilin'

swantekkie
12-09-2006, 12:54
Does the average thru hiker spend alot of time at hotels and lodgings? I know it must be nice to take a shower and all that, but are there any hikers that camp the whole time, and if so could camping alot more save me alot more money, and if so how much? I feel now that i could camp everynight, but i guess it gets to point where someone needs a warm, dry place to sleep. Six months in a small tent could get annoying.

Appalachian Tater
12-09-2006, 12:56
Most older (i.e. plus 60) hikers spend extra money on better meals and better lodging (i.e. getting their own motel rooms instead of splitting one five ways), but I'm sure everyone is different.

B. Jack, if you drink enough beer, it doesn't matter how many people are in the room when you pass out in the corner.

mountain squid
12-09-2006, 15:16
Not so much "hotels", but "hostels", and yes, many hikers spend many nights. Average nightly stay at a hostel is probably between $15-$20. Many of them will allow you to only shower/laundry at a reduced price. But, there are other in-town chores besides just getting clean. You'll need to eat, resupply, phone home, eat, ice cream, hit the post office, get something to eat, etc. Before you know it, you've spent the whole afternoon. Will you want to hike on? Also, if everyone you are hiking with is staying, it will take alot of discipline on your part to leave. Zero days and slack packing opportunities will also increase your bill...

As already mentioned, your "beverage of choice" is also a big money grabber. If you can avoid drinking too much, you won't spend as much.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Peaks
12-09-2006, 17:44
Does the average thru hiker spend alot of time at hotels and lodgings? I know it must be nice to take a shower and all that, but are there any hikers that camp the whole time, and if so could camping alot more save me alot more money, and if so how much? I feel now that i could camp everynight, but i guess it gets to point where someone needs a warm, dry place to sleep. Six months in a small tent could get annoying.

So do, some don't. Many stay over when they resupply. Others get in and get out.

Just to pick a point at random, if you resupply every 3 to 4 days, then that's about twice a week then that's the opportunity to stay in a hostel or town. So, over a 5 1/2 month hike, then it's about 50 nights in a building other than a trail shelter. But I guess that most probably spend fewer nights than that in a hostel or town.

You don't need to spend every night on the trail in a tent either. If the weather is good, then sleep under the stars. If it's crappy, then sleep in a shelter. On my thru-hike, I probably used my tent very few times.

swantekkie
12-09-2006, 18:05
thanx peaks, ur totally right about sleeping under the stars.

bfitz
12-12-2006, 22:42
Does the average thru hiker spend alot of time at hotels and lodgings? I know it must be nice to take a shower and all that, but are there any hikers that camp the whole time, and if so could camping alot more save me alot more money, and if so how much? I feel now that i could camp everynight, but i guess it gets to point where someone needs a warm, dry place to sleep. Six months in a small tent could get annoying.I happen to be the touristy type that wants to take in the town and see the sights. This sometimes requires at least a shower and a place to stow your gear. Second only to touring and partying was paying for lodging (especially in the beginning, towards the end as the money runs low those temptations are easier to resist. Many I know got by on far less.