PDA

View Full Version : today in history

LEGS
12-07-2006, 20:32
Hello, Paw Paw,dont know if your reading this or not,sure hope so. today being special for you, just wanted to say our prayers are with you. dont know how you made it, but I for one am damn glad you did. Many happy days to you and yours, have a wonderful day. You have served your country well. Damn glad to call you, FRIEND. Take care see you soon. Ya gonna be at the Southern Ruck?

Legs

bfitz
12-07-2006, 20:38
Paw Paw was there? Wow.

It's also my mom's birthday. My granpa walked through a minefield every day for a week in the hopes of getting the telegram! Can you imagine? He wasn't at pearl harbor but he was at D-day.

RAT
12-07-2006, 21:04
I posted this in another thread (titled December 7) but since Legs created one here I thought abliged to put it in:

PawPaw is a dear friend of mine and has been for many yrs. and as the story goes, since all the troops had been given that Sunday off and were all sleeping in that morning when the attack came, PawPaw who was a member of the company boxing team was out running and training that morning and was not on the ship which probly saved his life, that and it wasnt his time to go, he was destined to hike the trail a few times and hang out with us blue-blazing hobo hiker trash from hell ! He lost alot of dear friends that day and tears come to his eyes every time he speaks of it. We should never forget this day nor the ones that continue to give their all for our freedoms. To those that are gone but not forgotten and those that are here I say "Thank You and God Bless" .

Thanks for the post Legs ;-)

RAT

fishinfred
12-08-2006, 10:02
Great Post LEGS .......SALUTE to ALL TROOPS!!!!!!!!!! (past and present)
PEACE & THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
FF

highway
12-08-2006, 10:37
I would have thought that many more folks here would have contributed to this post about December 7th-a day in 1941 which defined our country's future perhaps more so than any other.

Could it be that so many have just forgotten-or, sadly, never even learned about- that "day in infamy" which brought us all together as a nation with a common purpose?

Lone Wolf
12-08-2006, 10:39
This forum is 99% liberal and anti-war. Most don't give a crap about history and war.

Littlest Hobo
12-08-2006, 10:45
I studied history and war - one of the reasons why I'm liberal and anti-war.

SillyGirl
12-08-2006, 11:02
I am liberal and anti-war to an extent.. with that said, I love history, I love our soldiers and I have the highest respect for them and for what they do. When I disagree with something our country has done I remind myself it is not the soldiers fault- they are doing what they have to do, what they are told to do and not all of them want to do it either.
So with this said. Thanks to those who have risked their lives to save mine, past and present. Your work is fully appreciated. lots of love.
..and PawPaw, I dont know you but you sound like an amazing person- you truly are appreciated. Thank YOU!

Sly
12-08-2006, 11:33
This forum is 99% liberal and anti-war. Most don't give a crap about history and war.

You could probably call me liberal, but I'm not necessarily anti-war, just ill-conceived, unjust ones. :D

I still want Osama bin Laden's head on a platter for an attack on US soil that actually led to more deaths than the attack on Pearl Harbor! Where's he at? :mad:

Hey Legs... Paw Paw, thanks for your service. :)

highway
12-08-2006, 13:59
Prior to Pearl Harbor, Roosevelt (FDR) won his election (third term?) with a platform promising to "keep the US out of the 'European' war". The isolationist, anti-war sentiment in the US was so prevalent and strong that it helped him to become re-elected again.

But that sentiment changed literally overnight, though, on December 7, after the sneak attack upon our soil in Hawaii. It makes one wonder just what it was that changed our generation so much from that one. Both the attacks- 9-11 and Pearl Harbor- are similar. Both attacks were 'sneaky', and without warning. The loss of life was about the same, and I suspect the loss of national treasure was comparable as well. But yet our reaction to both was decidedly different. I wonder why?

weary
12-08-2006, 14:37
Prior to Pearl Harbor, Roosevelt (FDR) won his election (third term?) with a platform promising to "keep the US out of the 'European' war". The isolationist, anti-war sentiment in the US was so prevalent and strong that it helped him to become re-elected again.

But that sentiment changed literally overnight, though, on December 7, after the sneak attack upon our soil in Hawaii. It makes one wonder just what it was that changed our generation so much from that one. Both the attacks- 9-11 and Pearl Harbor- are similar. Both attacks were 'sneaky', and without warning. The loss of life was about the same, and I suspect the loss of national treasure was comparable as well. But yet our reaction to both was decidedly different. I wonder why?
Starting in 1938-39 Roosevelt fought continuously to make this country prepared for what he believed to be inevitable involvement in the war. He was opposed largely by Republicans with help from a few ultra-liberal Democrats.

As a result, Pearl Harbor found us almost totally unprepared. His message was only by being prepared could we defend outselves. His promise was to not use the buildup of our military as an excuse for voluntarily joining the fray.

Weary

bfitz
12-08-2006, 15:27
Who isn't anti-war? No-one hates war more than a soldier.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2006, 15:34
Some Marines love war.

bfitz
12-08-2006, 15:39
No, they love being Marines.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2006, 15:40
Whatever you say. You weren't a Marine.

bfitz
12-08-2006, 15:44
Good point. My brother's one though. I don't think he loves war. But I do believe he loves doing battle. I'm not sure it's the same thing, exactly.