PDA

View Full Version : Insulated Pants options

hammock engineer
12-08-2006, 11:24
I went on a long dayhike yesterday and found that I need more insulation on my bottom half. The temps started out around 31 degrees and went down to around 21 by 5pm. This is before wind chill. I started out with boxers and soft shell fleece pants. A couple hours in I added my rain pants. I had another layer in my long underwear bottoms that I could have added, but I do not think that they would have made a difference. I think I would have gotten cold enough adding that layer that it would have off set any added warmth it would have. I do not want to take the soft shell pants on my hike, they weigh in at over a pound. I already am planning on long underwear bottoms and rain paints. I was cold enough that I do not think that fleece shorts would have made a difference. My butt and tops of my thighs were the only parts of me that were cold. I am confident the rest of my body will be warm with the clothes I am taking.

Does anyone have suggestions on insulation layers to add? I understand that this is on the cold end of what I will see with a March start. I was only hiking for 5 hours in the cold yesterday, but I was cold enough that I want to upgrade my insulation.

I was looking at the Montbell thermawrap pants (https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2003&hinban=2301276). They are a little pricey though.

Old Grouse
12-08-2006, 11:44
Patagonia Micropuff pants would fit the bill, but are just as pricey, if not more so.

Hammerhead
12-08-2006, 11:49
On the few cold hikes I've been on, I bring the vest liner from my cycle jacket. the vest is super light weight and I made two breast pockets on the inside and I stick two of those small handwarmer pouches in and I'm good to go. They work really well. When your body gets cold, it restricts bloodflow to your extremities in order to keep the vital organs warm.

Failed to mention that I wear light weight insulated longjohns with fleece pants and rain pants and gaiters.

floyd242
12-08-2006, 12:10
My legs dont usually get cold when I'm hiking, but when I break I always use a small cut out piece of closed cell foam to sit on if its super cold. I think this helps a lot.

Maybe you should try some long thick biker shorts under your long underwear.

hammock engineer
12-08-2006, 12:26
[quote=floyd242;282198]My legs dont usually get cold when I'm hiking, but when I break I always use a small cut out piece of closed cell foam to sit on if its super cold. I think this helps a lot.[quote]

This has happened before just not enough to get concerned about. This is the first time I got that cold. My feet, hands, face, head, and torso where all warm and had plenty of insulation. I even took a hot lunch break and a hot chocolate break to test out my stove. I am pretty sure it was caused by lack of insulation there as opposed to blood traveling to my organs. I took a couple breaks where I would sit on my rain jacket with my fleece pullover on top. That would warm me back up. I would cool back down after I started hiking. That is way I am thinking my gear is not up to par. With insulated pants I am thinking that I can drop 1 pair of mid weigh long underwear and come out about the same weight wise.

Do they make biking shorts that are insulated? Or are they just thicker versions?

Hammerhead
12-08-2006, 12:35
[quote=floyd242;282198]

Do they make biking shorts that are insulated? Or are they just thicker versions?

For some reason, biking shorts just made me think of my wetsuit. I wonder if anyone's tried out a pair of just wetsuit bottoms?

Just Jeff
12-08-2006, 12:57
Yikes - I couldn't imagine hiking in wetsuit bottoms.

A few days ago I asked AYCE about an insulated pants pattern...he says he has a pattern but isn't ready to make it a kit yet. Based on the half-bag thing I did, I don't think pants would be difficult at all...maybe you could get some thermawrap quality insulation for much cheaper than retail if you make AYCE's pattern. And much lighter and more compressible than fleece.

Check thru-hiker.com's message board if you're interested.

woodsy
12-08-2006, 13:14
For cooler and cold backpacking seasons I like an insulated full length pant with full length 2-way leg zippers that u can zip down from the top or up from the bottom, like a skier would wear. As you get warmed up, unzip from the top down to about the knee and this lets excess heat out. When you stop, just zip back up to retain warmth. they are also easy to get on and off. $70. for water proof, breatheable , reinforced knees and bottoms. Shop around.

fiddlehead
12-08-2006, 19:29
when hiked that AT in the winter of 01/02, i found what worked best for me was wind block fleece full zip pants. I wore them almost all the time. they are not insulated but the wind won't blow thru them. and i usually had the zips mostly open. But found that as soon as i stopped, i immedietly zipped them up fully. I would highly recommend them.
If you don't want to spend the money for that flexiblity, my next choice would be the frogg togg pants with lightweight polypro underneath.
They may get a bit warm when you're going up hill but would block the wind. I don't think you want insulated pants, as the insulation is going to make them too hot when your walking. and i don't know about you, but when it's cold, i take less breaks. have fun.

mdionne
12-08-2006, 19:53
[QUOTE=hammock engineer;282178] I had another layer in my long underwear bottoms that I could have added, but I do not think that they would have made a difference. [QUOTE]

that long underwear makes a world of difference. i've been doing surveys outside on a windy hilltop for 8 hours a day. today it was -2 degrees when i started. i wear long underwear, fleece bottoms and a shell and my legs are fine.

my feet are a different story.:o

hammock engineer
12-09-2006, 01:08
Thanks for all the input. It gives me a lot to think about. Weight wise I think it will be best to get an insulated pair. I can only take one pair of long underwear for sleeping, insulated pants and rain pants for hiking.