PDA

View Full Version : Map and Compass

Krewzer
12-08-2006, 11:31
I've been reading Baltimore Jack's thread about "Maps in the Backcountry." It seems to me the question, "Do you need a map (and/or compass) to hike the AT?" comes up here on WB pretty often.

My answer is, has been, "Yes", you can hike the AT end to end without either. BUT!!! Many, including myself, think it's a bad idea.

My thoughts on this are most seasoned AT backpackers are pretty much capable of using a compass and reading maps. But you folks who are just getting into this or thinking about taking up backcountry hiking ought to learn how to navigate in the backcountry. It's a safety thing, we don't want to lose you. Personally I think it's a fun skill to have, and I love maps.

Though you might not think it from reading all the posts on White Blaze, most hiking and overnight backpacking takes place well away from the AT. These are the places with few signs, without blazes and well worn paths that sometimes get overgrown, washed out or just disappear. These are the good places you are not likely to see another hiker for days on end. And, these are places you really need know how to navigate. Both for safety reasons and just to be able to get around to the places you interested in.

Anyway, here's a pretty good site to learn how to actually use maps and compass and a little history on navigation in general;

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Falls/9200/navigation_map_compass.htm

Or just google "map how to" or "orienteering" and you can get all the information to get you started with a map and compass.

I personally think these are both valuable and fun skills to have if you travel the lonely places.

OK, all you GPS guys, jump in here. I promise to figure these new fangled contraptions out one of these days.:p

Hammerhead
12-08-2006, 11:39
I have a GPS but know it's limitations. For me, there is no substitute for a good compass and a good map.

Boat Drinks
12-08-2006, 12:50
The link provided does not work. Can you just post the URL?

rhjanes
12-08-2006, 12:56
My daughter and I got into Orienteering last year. It is fun! Doing a meet this weekend. Suggest you google it, but also find your local Orienteering club. If there isn't one, try the local Boy Scouts. they teach it (the BS Orienteering book was written by an orienteer guy right here in Texas). It would be very handy to have in any remote outdoor area.

Krewzer
12-08-2006, 17:20
???? For some reason I can't get the URL to copy to post. Go here and click on "Map and Compass and Outdoor Navigation"

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Falls/9200/

simon
12-08-2006, 22:40
Some might consider me strange but i like to know what is coming over the next hill so i use a map often. I'm a planner and a plotter!

ed bell
12-09-2006, 03:56
I love maps too. Besides the safety angle, I enjoy being able to identify mountains, gaps, water sources, ect. While the first look at a topo map can be more than a bit confusing, learning about them quickly opens up a whole new realm of awareness while hiking. I highly recommend learning map skills. Couple that with a compass and GPS and you've got all the navigation tools AND skills.(GPS optional):D

woodsy
12-09-2006, 10:46
I never go hiking without a compass, and seldom without a map unless I am very familiar with the area. I enjoy reading maps and knowing where I am and the names of land features,streams,ponds and lakes etc.. . In the event of an unepected emergency, for myself or others, The map with compass will help find the best route out .