PDA

View Full Version : Birch Run Shelters

Papa Bear
06-01-2003, 13:26
A pair of 1940s structures. Some new construction between the shelters indicates replacements are in the works.

Here's (http://gallery.backcountry.net/papabear_2003_HF_Duncannon/adh) a picture.

Pb

Chappy
03-17-2004, 23:10
I just finished reading a book dealing with the murder of two female hikers near these shelters in 1988. Wondering if there are any type memorials to the two in the area?

retread
03-17-2004, 23:43
All those small twin shelters in southern Pa. are known as the Pennsylvania Doll Houses. The two at Quarry Gap just north of Caledonia Park have been connected by one roof. Tagg Run just north of Pine Grove Furnace St.Park used to have twin shelters too, but the Boy Scouts caught one of them on fire and it was decided to tear them both down and build a new shelter...the current James Fry shelter. Retread

ganj
03-18-2004, 00:33
I was hiking out there a couple months back. Hadn't been to Birch Run since 2001 and had to walk around the shelter a few times until I realized there was no longer two shelters. Just one big "new and improved" one.

firecracker1
01-05-2007, 20:46
I live only several miles from Birch Run...the new Birch Run Shelter is def. posh but its location so close to the road is known for local boy scout troops and college partiers. I've always had good experiences there, but it can get crowded. Sweet campsite about a 1/4 south.

Undershaft
06-25-2007, 16:21
Very nice shelter with plywood bunks inside. Great water source right in front of the shelter. Covered porch with a picnic table. Could use a few more mouse hangers. There is one all the way up at the peak of the ceiling, but no way to reach it. There appeared to be several nice tent spots close by. The privy was a little dingy, but most of them are. I spent a great night here about a month ago. Surprisingly, it wasn't crowded despite it being memorial day weekend.

mweinstone
06-25-2007, 18:29
ahh .....shelters. gods gift to hikers. blessed home. fluffy dry. welcome company. these are the best structures man has ever built.

Mishigami Manitou
07-05-2007, 15:03
Nice new shelter. Stopped by for lunch and almost wished we could have stayed for the night.

cathy
04-28-2008, 10:49
Beautiful! love it compared to the old shelters. Well Done. :-)

The Big J
04-28-2008, 12:10
Stayed at Birch Run last saturday night. Beautiful shelter with good company. Water was plentiful. Recommend this shelter along with a couple others on my section hike. Quarry Gap (did not stay), Tumbling Run, (did not stay). Ed Garvy (stayed) all nice shelters. I also have to say thanks to Bonepac at the Free State Hostel great place and good people.

desiderata
11-19-2008, 16:54
I just finished reading a book dealing with the murder of two female hikers near these shelters in 1988. Wondering if there are any type memorials to the two in the area?

chappy,
I didn't know there was a book about this- I'm pretty sure it happened at the first shelter south of duncannon.. rocky mt maybe? I didn't see any memorials in the area but when we got in to that particular shelter there was a pile of shotgun shells on the picnic table..ironic considering the history..

ki0eh
11-19-2008, 17:23
chappy,
I didn't know there was a book about this- I'm pretty sure it happened at the first shelter south of duncannon.. rocky mt maybe? I didn't see any memorials in the area but when we got in to that particular shelter there was a pile of shotgun shells on the picnic table..ironic considering the history..

Alas there has been more than one murder of hikers in south-central PA. The 1988 incident is chronicled in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Eight-Bullets-Surviving-Anti-Gay-Violence/dp/1563410559 That book reports the incident to have occurred on the Rocky Knob Trail which is a nature/dayhike loop off the A.T. just south of Big Flat, or between Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace State Parks just Trail-south of the half way point. I have hiked the RKT numerous times and if there is a memorial, I've never spotted it.

ricksfords
01-24-2009, 10:27
I remember this story very well.I was at the site about a week after it happened,it was all taped off.the guy who did it went by the name of mountian man.he lived in caves near by near the town of cleversburg.

wystiria
05-28-2009, 11:16
This is a GREAT shelter, newly polyed and lots of bunks. Great tenting. The water source is running strong clear and cold!

also has a fly catcher nest :) (like most of the PA SH we saw last week)

wystiria
05-28-2009, 11:16
OHHHH and I forgot to mention there is a great Bear pole at the site. no need to hang your food in the SH!

eggs
06-23-2011, 11:27
Just an update on this shelter

Still nice as can be. Good water last weekend when we were there. Few locals walked in from the road. We came up from Caledonia SP.

knightjh
06-24-2011, 22:25
I went out there today and they now have a food hangers (to prevent Bears from "sharing you supper" with you)
Great shelter

birchy
07-06-2011, 14:40
There are no BEARS at the BIRCH RUN SHELTER. I have lived for 18 years on the mountain a mere mile from the shelter and have never seen a bear in that area. I have hiked and hunted the big flat area and neither myself or anyone I know have observed bears in that area.

JYD
09-29-2011, 19:17
I'm going thru there this weekend...I'll look & let you know.

Slow n' Steady
01-21-2012, 12:14
I did not plan on staying here but ended up in a conversation with a volunteer who was doing work on the shelters and so I ended up painting the floor of one and staying in the other. It was a great stop!

a64armt
09-16-2013, 20:46
The wife, daughter (16 y/o) and I are just starting to get into hiking. This summer we started doing some day trips to the local state parks in our area (Franklin County PA) and a couple of walks over smaller sections of the AT. We have been enjoying the day trips, but now the wife and daughter want to do an overnight trip. While the wife and I were previously in the military many moons ago, all of our recent camping was in an RV, so this is still fairly new territory for us. We have a packable 3 person tent, and other various bits of gear. We are looking to pick up some frame packs and a packable hiking stove.

We are considering our first overnight to be on the walk from Caledonia State part to Pine Grove. This is about a 17 mile walk, we would stop overnight at Birch Run. We are planning on taking the tent just in case the shelter is occupied (plus the wife and daughter want to stay in the tent). Baby steps at first I guess. Due to obligations and the Mother Earth news expo at 7 springs resort, we are looking at making the overnight in October.

Question : Is there a fire pit or fire ring at the Birch Run shelter? I am not real big on a campfire myself, but the wife and daughter are hung up on it (the romance of the outdoors I guess). I told them I wasn’t sure if they were allowed in the state forest or at the shelters. Some reading above about a fire destroying a shelter makes me think it might be ill-advised.

We are hoping this turns into a decent hobby for us. Any advice or info is appreciated.

Thanks,
OJ

birchy
09-17-2013, 09:11
Yes there is a fire ring at the Birch Run Shelter, However here is the language of the state forest regulations
§ 21.62. Open fires.
(a) Subject to the prohibition in subsection (b), small campfires are permitted only where adequate precautions are taken to prevent the spread of fire into the forest. All other fires are prohibited. Campfires shall be attended at all times.
(b) Open fires are prohibited when the forest-fire danger is determined by the District Forester to be High, Very High or Extreme and from March 1 through May 25 and from October 1 through December 1 without authorization from the District Forester or a designee. This prohibition does not apply to small self-contained camp stoves when used in a safe manner.
(c) A person causing a wildfire, in addition to possible criminal penalty, is liable for all damages, costs of extinction and fines.

RED-DOG
09-17-2013, 17:52
Birch Run shelter is a nice place, great water source, awesome campsites and it also has one of the best privies on the entire AT it even has a mirror inside it, but I have never noticed or seen any kind of Memorials of the two Murdered Females between the old and new shelter sites.

a64armt
09-17-2013, 20:15
Thanks for the info. I read the posts on the murdered females, I will have to do some research on this. My wife and daughter might be freaked out by this though.

OJ

birchy
09-18-2013, 07:23
The murder of Rebbeca Wright and the shooting of Claudia Brenner did not happen at the Birch Run Shelter it happened about 2 1/2 miles south on the Rocky Knob Trail. There have been no other incidents in that area since 1988. I think you all will be fine....

Red Cinema
04-28-2015, 20:33
Still a great shelter, good water, multiple hanging poles (one assumes for for rodents than bahrs)