PDA

View Full Version : A new breed of Cat

woodsy
12-08-2006, 18:45
It was not long ago that locals here found a hybrid dog type creature that looked a bit scary.:eek:
Now we have info(although a few years old) that cats are mixing it up too.:confused:
These guys are cute compared to that other 'thing' I mentioned.:)
Never know what's goin on in them Maine woods:cool: Thought you animal buffs might find this interesting.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/lynxhybr.html

Brushy Sage
12-08-2006, 19:21
Looks like Mother Nature at work, whether we like it or not. Thanks for this item.

LostInSpace
12-08-2006, 19:34
Drinking runoff from a paper mill will do all kinds of things. :D

Dances with Mice
12-08-2006, 20:01
You know you've been on White Blaze too long when...

You read the title and thought this was a stove thread.

woodsy
12-08-2006, 20:29
You know you've been on White Blaze too long when...

You read the title and thought this was a stove thread.

You know you've been on something too long if........ you thought this was a stove thread.LOL
I could understand it if you thought it was maybe about .....a backpacker:rolleyes:

emerald
12-08-2006, 22:48
A good find and an enjoyable read. Thank you for posting this press release from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.:)

woodsy
12-08-2006, 23:20
[quote=woodsy;282330]It was not long ago that locals here found a hybrid dog type creature that looked a bit scary.:eek:

And in case you missed the wolf-dog hybrid beast story this past summer:
Here it is again
http://www.sunjournal.com/news/city/20060816074.php

TJ aka Teej
12-08-2006, 23:30
All my years deep in the Maine woods and I've only seen one bobcat - walking through a backyard in Jackman. And we argued for days whether it was a bobcat or lynx. And now I learn maybe we were both right! Great link, Woodsy!

woodsy
12-08-2006, 23:39
All my years deep in the Maine woods and I've only seen one bobcat - walking through a backyard in Jackman. And we argued for days whether it was a bobcat or lynx. And now I learn maybe we were both right! Great link, Woodsy!

Haha, me too. Many years pounding puckerbrush and I've only seen one Bobcat? too. Pretty elusive animals, seen plenty of tracks in the snow though.
Now i'll have to wonder if it's a mix of the two lol.

SalParadise
12-09-2006, 00:16
How far south is the bobcat's range? is it pretty much just Maine?

A friend had a brief (long time to him) staring contest with a mountain lion on the AT a couple years back, and another friend in Florida woke up to a panther in camp (apparently less than 50 exist in the wild), but the rarest thing I've ever seen while hiking is a piliated woodpecker.

jlb2012
12-09-2006, 08:15
pileated woodpecker's are fairly common around here but I hear them more often than see them while hiking - their call while flying reminds me of old jungle movie sound effects

bob cats are present in SNP but I have only ever seen two while hiking - dang shy critters

Skidsteer
12-09-2006, 08:36
I've seen two bobcats in Georgia. Each time I was driving and they crossed the road in front of me.

highway
12-09-2006, 09:08
Bobcats are quite common in Florida.

And, like our panther/cougar/puma never have harmed hikers-so no need to worry.

Consider yourself fortunate to catch a glimpse of either.

woodsy
12-09-2006, 10:24
[quote=SalParadise;282466]How far south is the bobcat's range? is it pretty much just Maine?

http://www.lioncrusher.com/animal.asp?animal=41

clicker
12-09-2006, 11:57
was it just me or did that map seem to not include michigan for the bobcat's range? i have seen these animals in michigan and it is a well known fact that they live here. they are really beautiful by moonlight.

woodsy
12-09-2006, 12:13
was it just me or did that map seem to not include michigan for the bobcat's range? i have seen these animals in michigan and it is a well known fact that they live here. they are really beautiful by moonlight.

Are you sure it wasn't a Bob-o-Lynx you saw?:-?