PDA

View Full Version : Have to brag about my Thrift Store find

Cuffs
12-08-2006, 19:51
I am just sooooo darn excited about my trip to the thrift store today!

:sunI really scored when I found a silk weight short sleeve t-shirt. Oh, did I mention it was Patagonia? AND it still had the tags on it? AND I only paid 99cents!?!?

Mom was shopping with me, and I tried to explain to her the significance of this find, but she just didnt get it...:confused:

Well, thanks for listening to me! I feel better now!

MOWGLI
12-08-2006, 20:29
A close friend visits a bunch of thrift stores about once a week in North Carolina. Over the last couple of years he has found an amazing number of gear finds. He often finds nothing, but some days he does really well. From rain jackets to new boots, and much more. I like visiing the thrift store in Edwards, CO when I visit my sister. All the well heeled folks from the Vail area bring their castoffs. Many of the garments still have the tags, and are priced at $5-$10.

Skidsteer
12-08-2006, 21:29
I love thrift stores.

It's always a thrill to find a great buy and I always walk out shaking my head at what Americans give away.

StarLyte
12-08-2006, 21:51
I am just sooooo darn excited about my trip to the thrift store today!

:sunI really scored when I found a silk weight short sleeve t-shirt. Oh, did I mention it was Patagonia? AND it still had the tags on it? AND I only paid 99cents!?!?

Mom was shopping with me, and I tried to explain to her the significance of this find, but she just didnt get it...:confused:

Well, thanks for listening to me! I feel better now!

Don't ya love when that happens! Great job! You'll appreciate that shirt a lot too.

hopefulhiker
12-08-2006, 21:57
Great Buy! Keep Hunting!

jasonklass
12-08-2006, 23:21
Sweet! I guess it pays to look there every once and a while! I never found a deal like that.

Ewker
12-08-2006, 23:54
I search the thrift stores where I live. Unfortunately with no luck. I bet living close to the mountains helps a lot

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2006, 23:59
Congrats on your find. I've run across some fantastic gear deals in thrift-stores. Ewker, try the stores in the suburbs out toward Cookeville.

Krewzer
12-09-2006, 00:18
When it comes to bargain hunting, Chicks rule. Especially a GRITS girl!!!:banana

Blissful
12-09-2006, 00:31
Yeah, reminds me I gotta get out to theones around here in the next month or two for some finds. Still would like to find a lightweight spring jacket when I mail off my down jacket. One of my best finds was my Thermarest seat pad for fifty cents. I love that thing. It's now my luxury item.

moondoggy
12-09-2006, 01:02
While getting ready for a hike in Sept. I started looking in Thrift stores for fleece pullovers.....heck I'd never wear them after the hike....It was in August, found three plus a pair of hiking pants (with zip off legs) for $1 each....
I'd sleep in those fleeces now...very seldom without them..

Mags
12-09-2006, 01:15
I once scored a Patagucci fleece jacket for $4. In A1 condition! A bit heavy for backpacking...but makes a great around town jacket and for the occasional car camping.

(Have also found killer deals on wool sweaters at the trifter as well!)

hammock engineer
12-09-2006, 03:27
The thrift stores especially Goodwill around Cincy are way overpriced. They usually want $5 for someone's old cotton T.

Cuffs
12-09-2006, 14:45
Wow! Theres a bunch of bargain shoppers out there! I too have found the Goodwill/Salvation Army stores to be very overpriced considering the condition of alot of the stuff.

Here in AL, theres a chain of stores that benefits a local charity "safe house" for displaced peoples. (its the same chain where you were shopping Skids!) I got a couple of great deals for myself and I found a few things that were in such good shape, I got them just to make a few bucks on ebay! (Eddie Bauer GorTex pullover, Nike waterproof, breathable jacket...) OH! and a yoga mat about less than 1/4" thick for making what else, but freezerbag cozies! And for $1.98!

Keep posting your great finds! I love hearing (and get jealous too) about them!

Biloxi
12-09-2006, 15:35
I wasn't gonna post about this till I seen it here..well I went to visit my mom in indiana back in october, and she was telling me about this goodwill outlet where they sell stuff by the pound..so I thought why not..so we went and WOW what a score..I got a full set of new polypro mid weight..and a extra pair of bottoms ..new..2 duofold bottoms..and 2 full sets of ultra therm 2layer poly/wool top and bottoms..a almost new columbia jacket..a nice rain/wind jacket that stores in its own pocket..a nice new pair of nike wind pants..very light.a northface balaclava 2 pair gloves.some mesh type water shoes with nice traction bottoms.several 100% merino wool sweaters.3 very nice fleece full zip shirt/jacket..and for the finishing touch I found the perfect down quilt..I could not believe it ..perfect for a thru and I even found a heavy down coat with proubly 10-12 oz of down in it..that I quickly took the down from and am gonna have it added to the quilt :banana and lots more stuff for only 59cents a pound grand total like 50 bucks..in 2 trips.wow wow wow...

Frosty
12-09-2006, 15:54
Wow! Theres a bunch of bargain shoppers out there! I too have found the Goodwill/Salvation Army stores to be very overpriced considering the condition of alot of the stuff.

Keep posting your great finds! I love hearing (and get jealous too) about them!While in Franklin this past March, I found I would be there a few days, and the only long pants I had were rain pants. Went to a thrift store near the Budget Motel and bought a pair of pants for three bucks and a belt for a buck. When I left I donated them back :D

Skidsteer
12-09-2006, 20:10
While in Franklin this past March, I found I would be there a few days, and the only long pants I had were rain pants. Went to a thrift store near the Budget Motel and bought a pair of pants for three bucks and a belt for a buck. When I left I donated them back :D

Sounds like a sneaky way to rent pants Frosty. :)

ex-tennesseean
12-20-2006, 02:31
If I need an extra, unpacked item of clothing when I travel, I head for a thrift store and almost always find what I need. If I don't need anything, I might go there anyway, just to get a sense of what local people's closets are like in the area. Back home in Denver, I have several dozen thrifts to choose from, in a region where outdoor gear is considered popular, if not high, fashion. I don't know if I'll ever want to buy a new parka, shell or ski pants again. Today, I just found a new grey Descente lacket with blue and silver trim. New, it must have been over $100, but I gave $5.99. I'm lucky that this gear lasts far longer than many folks' desire to be seen in it.