PDA

View Full Version : Camp footwear?

rafe
12-08-2006, 20:34
What are folks carrying for camp footwear these days? I bought a pair of Waldies "AT". I'm wondering if they're worth the 8 oz. Waldies "M" size are tight, and the next size up too loose for me. They're going to be a bit bulky, as well. The strap hinges are delicate, I've alread busted a couple. I can see where these would be useful in Maine for river and stream fordings, but they might be overkill as camp shoes... Is there anything lighter?

Lone Wolf
12-08-2006, 20:48
Camp Shoes? Barefoot or the shoes I hiked in.

Pokey2006
12-08-2006, 20:48
Crocs are always popular, but my personal favorites are Teva sandals -- you can easily ram them inside your pack, they're light, and they're comfortable with socks when it's cold, and without socks when it's hot. They're acceptable in town, and you can even hike in them sometimes.

josh litt
12-08-2006, 20:58
chacos! avoid those down booties, you will lose alot of warmth since the padding is so little.

rafe
12-08-2006, 21:22
Chacos... any idea of the weight of these things? I'm hoping for something under 8 oz for the pair.

scope
12-08-2006, 21:59
chacos! avoid those down booties, you will lose alot of warmth since the padding is so little.

Big difference between chacos and down booties, and I have no idea what you're talking about with losing warmth. Only downside (pun!) is that the soles - I've got the SD booties - are too lite for doing much walking around camp. Great for sitting, then going straight into the s-bag, that's about it. But, they're fine for when you have to get up in the middle of the night.

Otherwise in mild temps, original Teva's.

troglobil
12-08-2006, 22:05
I had the same problem with waldies, They just would not fit right. I tried a similar pair called holeys and got a good fit. The straps seemed to be attatched better also.

Blissful
12-09-2006, 00:28
My payless fake crocs. Love 'em.

Spirit Walker
12-09-2006, 02:22
$4 fake tevas - they've lasted three thruhikes.

warraghiyagey
12-09-2006, 03:46
I saw this hideous phenomena on the trail last year. These things called Crocs. And all my hiking buddies were wearing them. Worse they were trying to get me to ditch my flip flops and use them for camp shoes.
No way. I don't care if they are three ounces per pair and have little knobs to massage your tired, aching feet at night. These freakish foam foot flops are an abomination.
By the time I left North Woodstock I had my own lime green pair. When your feet are thankful on the trail you know you've done a good thing. Mine are Holeys but they are pretty much identical to Crocs. Too bad they don't make a hiking boot. I've already got more miles on them than my Vasque Heavy Hiking trail boots (which were shot after 250 miles).
Peace
:)

rafe
12-09-2006, 11:13
By the time I left North Woodstock I had my own lime green pair.

OK, so out of curiosity, what were your camp shoes before then?

I started my (attempted) thru without camp shoes, and picked up a pair of moccasins in Gatlinburg. They worked well for the purpose, and were very "compressible." More recently I've been carrying a pair of cheap summer flip-flops (too heavy, 13 oz for the pair.) But flip-flops don't work well with socks on.

highway
12-09-2006, 12:21
If you really feel the need for camp shoes when you stop hiking, it probably means the shoes you use for hiking should be changed.

If the shoes you hike in are comfortable enough, you want have the need to change when you stop.

Ewker
12-09-2006, 12:24
I have an old pair of crocs I take. My boots feel great while hiking but when I get to camp I like to let my feet and boots air out.

highway
12-09-2006, 12:48
i suppose for heavy boot wearers, separate camp shoes might become a necessity-getting those heavy things off their feet when they stop for the evening. I would suppose,too, if they are uncomfortable enough and heavy enough, some might even want to take them off during the day during 'rest breaks'. Hmmmm....

swantekkie
12-09-2006, 13:01
[quote=warraghiyagey;282500]I saw this hideous phenomena on the trail last year. These things called Crocs. And all my hiking buddies were wearing them. Worse they were trying to get me to ditch my flip flops and use them for camp shoes.
No way. I don't care if they are three ounces per pair and have little knobs to massage your tired, aching feet at night. These freakish foam foot flops are an abomination.

I too was a lover of flip flops and was wondering myself if these "crocs" were the real deal. Are they really worth buying. (obviously i would buy the knockoff)

Lone Wolf
12-09-2006, 13:22
I must be weird. I don't own crocs or any other "camp" shoes, leki poles or any other poles, no water filter or any other form of water purification. I have a lot in common with Warren Doyle.:)

highway
12-09-2006, 14:14
Weird? Perehaps just observant & practical

Ender
12-09-2006, 14:20
I must be weird.

You are weird... but in a good way.

Heck, we're all weird... we're hikers. :cool:

I use these for in camp...

http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=10

They're hideous, but they provide just enough protection under the foot for camp and even stream crossings (not river crossings though), and they weigh in at a whopping 1.5 ounces. They grip wet surfaces extremely well.

halftime
12-09-2006, 14:28
Weird? Perehaps just observant & practical

Na....he just had to lighten up so he could carry that heavy stove.:D

rafe
12-09-2006, 16:33
If you really feel the need for camp shoes when you stop hiking, it probably means the shoes you use for hiking should be changed.

If the shoes you hike in are comfortable enough, you want have the need to change when you stop.

That was more true in the bad old days, less true these days when most of us are wearing much lighter footwear. Even so, my trail runners are 28 oz to the pair, as opposed to Waldies or Crocs at 8 oz. to the pair. The shoes I wore during the day might be wet, and it's nice to get my feet into something light and dry while at camp. There's nothing wimpy about being nice to your feet, and it gives your hiking shoes a chance to dry out.

rafe
12-09-2006, 16:35

http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=10

...they weigh in at a whopping 1.5 ounces. They grip wet surfaces extremely well.

Ah! Excellent idea. Lighter than Waldies. And it looks like they'll squish flat. I like it. Thanks!

mnof1000v
12-09-2006, 19:23
I didn't want to buy a pair at first, but I like my waldies. And I discovered an added bonus use... A few times, when it was EXTREMELY cold, I had to wear every stitch of clothing I had before climbing into my sleeping bag at night. That left me without a pillow... UNTIL I thought to put my waldies in a stuff sack and use them as a pillow. Incredibly comfortable they WEREN'T, but FUNCTIONAL they were.:banana

Big Dawg
12-09-2006, 20:26
I use my trail runners as camp shoes, just laced really loose. I change into dry/clean socks for the evening, and if the shoes are soaked from rain/sweat, then I'll slip on a 1.5oz pair of vapor barrior socks (silnylon socks/seam sealed) to protect my clean dry comfy regular socks from touching the wet shoes.

1.5oz vapor barrior socks or 13oz crocs,,,, no question for me.

When home, I wear my crocs ALL the time. They are some comfy sons o beeatches:D. Wolf, you oughta try you a pair. Dino, can we have a photo shop pic of Wolf wearin some lime green crocs:eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-09-2006, 21:19
I must be weird. I don't own crocs or any other "camp" shoes, leki poles or any other poles, no water filter or any other form of water purification. I have a lot in common with Warren Doyle.:)Zen Wolf :D

I use Payless Croc knock-offs these days. Before they were around (or at least I knew about them) I wore Okabashi clogs (http://store.okabashi.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9), heavier than Crocs, but not by much.

warraghiyagey
12-10-2006, 02:58
Terrapin Too,

I was using flip-flops from Monson and barefoot before that at camp. Would I recommend the crocs or holeys - I hate to say this. . . . yes. I'll definitely be bringing mine with me when I leave Katahdin first week of June. Did I mention how loathsome they are to look at?
But it's the quickest way to make your feet comfortable at the end of the day, you can ford streams with them and they're strong enough to negotiate the terrain of campsites comfortably. The Dude even hiked an entire day of the 100 mile wilderness with just his crocs from White House Landing to Cooper Brook Lean-to.
They're worth having. And hideous.

hammock engineer
12-10-2006, 03:58
I like crocs but man their heavy. If only the other options were as comfortable.

warraghiyagey
12-10-2006, 04:59
My Holeys (identical to crocs) are lighter than the flip flops I had.

rafe
12-10-2006, 08:58
1.5oz vapor barrior socks or 13oz crocs,,,, no question for me.

Well, part of the goal (for me, anyway) is to get some air around my feet. That's where the flip-flops and Tevas do well. In fact, that's a downside to the Crocs/Waldies/Holies... they're comfy, but they're almost too much shoe for the purpose.

Basically, house slippers or moccasins would do, if they were light enough. Just looking for minimal protection for the soles of my feet. I like the idea of those aquatic mesh shoes that Ender linked to. I've ordered a pair (for $4.39 a pair, why not?) and will report back.

Big Dawg
12-10-2006, 09:33
Well, part of the goal (for me, anyway) is to get some air around my feet.

I understand that! If I'm hiking in warmer weather, I'll usually go barefoot for awhile to air out the pups, but that usually limits where you're able to walk. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Appalachian Tater
12-10-2006, 10:18
99 cent flip-flops. Lighter, more compact, cheaper, more comfortable. Great in the hostel showers, too.

Ender
12-10-2006, 15:20
I like the idea of those aquatic mesh shoes that Ender linked to. I've ordered a pair (for $4.39 a pair, why not?) and will report back.

I think you'll like them. A note on the durability... mine were much more durable than I expected. I had a single pair last 1000 miles on the PCT, used every night and for hundreds of stream crossings. They're still going strong too. Could probably use them for another 500 miles at least.

Let us know what you think!

saimyoji
12-10-2006, 15:29
Teva-knockoffs from Cabela's ($9.99). They're super durable, airy and comfy.

rafe
12-10-2006, 16:18
Teva-knockoffs from Cabela's ($9.99). They're super durable, airy and comfy.

Weight, weight! Please, if you're going to post alternatives, let us know the weight. Waldies (medium size) are 8 oz to the pair. Personally, I'm not interested in anything heavier than that. My beach flip-flops were 13 oz.

I'm somewhat with L. Wolf on this matter. Camp shoes are a luxury, and I'm not willing to "invest" a lot weight in them.

Kerosene
12-10-2006, 16:34
The problem with the aquatic mesh shoes is that there is absolutely no cushioning to protect you from the occasional rock that you're likely to step on around camp, but they are fine if all you're doing is using them on the shelter floor.

I switched from my 11 ounce Waldies to 7-ounce Wal-Mart special slip-on "flip-flops" (no big toe post) that are also more packable than the Waldies. In colder weather I supplement with a pair of 2-ounce neoprene booties to give me a little more warmth. They aren't great if it's really wet or muddy, in which case I pull on my boots to go get water.

brotheral
12-10-2006, 19:23
What are folks carrying for camp footwear these days? I bought a pair of Waldies "AT". I'm wondering if they're worth the 8 oz. Waldies "M" size are tight, and the next size up too loose for me. They're going to be a bit bulky, as well. The strap hinges are delicate, I've alread busted a couple. I can see where these would be useful in Maine for river and stream fordings, but they might be overkill as camp shoes... Is there anything lighter?
I bought a pair of Merrell Convertible Sandals last year and love 'em. Just keep that removable back strap where you can find it...They too are great with socks in colder situations...I see the newer version has a thinner sole than mine. I don't know if that's an improvement or not ?!?!

woodlandbound
12-11-2006, 17:02
I've already got more miles on them than my Vasque Heavy Hiking trail boots (which were shot after 250 miles).
Peace

I'm guessing you hiked in these things? How did that work out? I've got a pair of holeys "Provider" model w/o holes that I might modify to save weight. Has anyone else cut up a pair?

K-Man
12-12-2006, 00:29
I roc the crocs... cut the straps off and you save 0.6 oz. Mine are probably also an once lighter than new ones since I have worn the soles down...

RAT
12-12-2006, 00:38
Camp Shoes? Barefoot or the shoes I hiked in.

I must be weird. I don't own crocs or any other "camp" shoes, leki poles or any other poles, no water filter or any other form of water purification. I have a lot in common with Warren Doyle.

Ditto on all of that. I must be weird too or perhaps cant afford that stuff nor do i want all those extra billi-grams (not to be confused with a TV evangelist) on my back ! Billi-grams make grams, grams make oz`s, oz`s make lbs etc etc. If you can learn to live without all that extra crapp (and you can) your pack will be much much lighter and you will enjoy your hike alot more. I have been asked many times, "Do you filter your water"? To which I reply: "Yes. Thru my teeth" lol Going on 20 yrs. now, so far no problems.

RAT

rafe
12-12-2006, 01:10
Ditto on all of that. I must be weird too or perhaps cant afford that stuff nor do i want all those extra billi-grams...

IMO, it's possible to take the "ultra light" thing too far. Da feets are important. It might be worth a few extra oz. to keep 'em happy. At least, a lotta thrus I've known seem to think so.

Just how many oz they're worth, may be subject to debate. I've set my limit at 8 oz, and looking for lighter alternatives. (Which is what this thread is about.)

I've just been going through the diary of Earl Shaffer's last thru, in 1998, and he certainly wasn't practicing "ultra-light." LOL! On his first thru he carried a frigging' hatchet.

And in the end, if my extra load means I'll walk 14 miles per day instead of 15, I can live with that. I'm out in the woods for some R & R, miles be damned.

Jim Adams
12-12-2006, 01:25
you guys don't take a hatchet?

rafe
12-12-2006, 01:27
you guys don't take a hatchet?

No, but I do have an axe to grind. ;)

rafe
12-12-2006, 01:32
No, but I do have an axe to grind. ;)

But it's a Ryan Jordan-approved titanium silnylon model, and I've drilled holes in the handle. And it doubles as a tent stake hammer, snake repellent, gum stimulant, and monopod for my 4x5 view camera. I don't go for that digital stuff.

Jim Adams
12-12-2006, 01:37
soooo ?????you don't take a hatchet but you do take axes and grinding wheels? interesting approach to light weight but as long as you got rid of those 9oz. shoes LOL

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 11:18
Not since 98. Since then no camp shoes.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 11:28
when i did have camp shoes chacos are what i had

Blissful
12-12-2006, 12:48
Weight, weight! Please, if you're going to post alternatives, let us know the weight. Waldies (medium size) are 8 oz to the pair. Personally, I'm not interested in anything heavier than that. My beach flip-flops were 13 oz.

I'm somewhat with L. Wolf on this matter. Camp shoes are a luxury, and I'm not willing to "invest" a lot weight in them.

My Payless fake crocs weigh in at about 9 oz on my postage scale.

rafe
12-13-2006, 15:23
Hello, Ender. :sun I just received a pair of those "boat shoes" from Sprint Aquatics. They look perfect for my purposes. I'm going to order a few more pairs, because they could be useful "around the house" also. They seem to weigh next to nothing. Thanks so much for the tip. I owe you one.

Ender
12-13-2006, 15:43
No problem! I'm glad I was able to help. :sun

I have a number of pairs floating around my place as well. Can't beat the price or the weight.

TUNEDVWGTI
12-14-2006, 11:36
I started my 2005 thru without camp shoes since I was wearing trail runners. It was a bad idea, my feet never got to air out. I picked up a pair of crocs/waldies/ holeysoles/ whatever, while in gatlinburg, and it was the best move I made. Those waldies were pure at the end of the day and I craved the moment that I got to put them on, and massage my feet with those little bumps on the bottom of the shoes. They are great. YES THEY ARE A FAD, BUT WHO CARES, THEY ARE AWESOME. I LOVE MINE.

TUNEDVWGTI
12-14-2006, 11:37
oh yeah, i always order my crocs a little small because even in the begining if my toes touch the end they always stretch out a little bit...

rafe
12-14-2006, 11:48
oh yeah, i always order my crocs a little small because even in the begining if my toes touch the end they always stretch out a little bit...

Crocs stretch? I'm surprised. I haven't had my Waldies for very long, and they're rather tight, so that's encouraging. But I'm still a bit surprised that an all-plastic shoe would stretch.

Blissful
12-28-2006, 20:52
Just wanted to say I landed a pair of fake crocs at Payless today for $6. They were their holiday model, I guess, as it has snowflakes on it. No holes for drainage in river crossings, but they are comfy and the price was right.

RAT
12-28-2006, 20:54
I just use my hiking boots, see no need for any extra weight.

RAT

hammock engineer
01-06-2007, 01:53
You are weird... but in a good way.

Heck, we're all weird... we're hikers. :cool:

They're hideous, but they provide just enough protection under the foot for camp and even stream crossings (not river crossings though), and they weigh in at a whopping 1.5 ounces. They grip wet surfaces extremely well.

I finally pulled the trigger on these. For the price I ordered 2 in case they work out. That and I could not justify the ordering something that cost under $5 with $6.50 in shipping. Hope they work. It will take 10 oz out of my pack if they replace my crocs.

oldfivetango
01-06-2007, 10:46
I must be weird. I don't own crocs or any other "camp" shoes, leki poles or any other poles, no water filter or any other form of water purification. I have a lot in common with Warren Doyle.:)

All i wanna know is what you eat on the trail and how you
fix it as I value your opinion.Thanks.
OFT

Lilred
01-06-2007, 16:01
I LOVE my crocs. Can't say enough good things about them. I don't care how awful they look. I wore them up in NY this year for XMas and my family hadn't seen them before and made terrible fun of me, until they tried them on. I suffer from plantar facitis (sp?) in my left foot. I can be in pain and limping around town, I put on my crocs and the pain and limp INSTANTLY go away. I swear by them. Turned some co-workers onto them that suffer from the same condition, and they are now converts too. I strap them onto the back of my pack. Ran into a kid last year on my section hike at Mount Rogers who suffered from blisters and he had been hiking in them for 100 miles without a problem. And he still had both back straps attached. If you grab the backstrap to pull on the croc, you might lose it. Don't do that. Just slip your foot into it and let the strap find its way over your heel. I never touch that backstrap except to hook them to my pack.

OK I'll shut up now. Buy the crocs, you won't be sorry.

Sly
01-06-2007, 20:59
Since I've switch to trail shoes I haven't the need to carry trail shoes and usually don't.

Big Dawg
01-06-2007, 21:00
I love my Crocs too, but have not been bringing them for camp b/c of the weight,,,, my size 13 is 15ozs:eek: . I've been replacing gear over the past few years, going lighter, and have just left the crocs off the list b/c of weight However....... I'm beginning to reconsider. They are super comfortable, and I do miss them each time I arrive at camp. I'm a gear junkie and find that when my list is finally complete (purchased), another item seems to make it on the wish list pretty quickly (%#$*&@ manufacturers,,, keep makin cool sh_t!! Well, I didn't know til yesterday that Crocs Inc. now have a model called "Off Road" ( http://www.backcountry.com/store/CRC0007/Crocs-Off-Road-Clog-Mens.html), which have a velcro strap on the back, and better traction on the bottom. I think I'll be adding some "Off Road Crocs" to my gear list.:D

Sly
01-06-2007, 21:07
If anything I'd like a pair of lightweight Tevas knock-offs that actually hold up. Something flat I can attach to the back of my pack and something I can use for fording.

Fannypack
01-06-2007, 21:39
I must be weird.
I agree with that.