PDA

View Full Version : Taking A Watch

MrHappy
12-09-2006, 00:28
I'm considering getting a watch to take on the trail. I've almost never wear a watch, but here's why i'm thinking about it now. I don't want to know the time, in fact I DON'T want to know the time. I want an altimeter though. It's dead useful and sometime just fun. But I'm already taking a pocketmail e-mail device for journal keeping (maybe), and a digital camera. I don't want too many gadgets. Thoughts?

rafe
12-09-2006, 00:40
I've thought about buying an altimeter watch. And they're pretty cheap now, too. But then I think, maybe it's best not to know. I've hiked this far without one. They're pretty fat, and I don't like fat watches.

SalParadise
12-09-2006, 01:06
If that's all you want a watch for, Wingfoot's book does have altitudes on it.

hammock engineer
12-09-2006, 01:14
I got an altitude watch from SAC. They have some here and there for good deals.

I never wear a watch when I am not hiking. I always take a watch hiking with me. I don't like hiking in the dark. Especailly when it is cold out. Having the watch helps me plan accordingly to have my shelter setup and ready by dark.

It might be helpful knowing the day and time to know when/if stores and PO's are open.

squivens
12-09-2006, 01:40
I dont usually wear a watch. However I got one for my hike for the reason hammock engineer pointed out. Knowing if your gonna make POs or stores before they close. I dont plan on wearing it but just having it strapped on my pack.

halftime
12-09-2006, 10:10
A nice watch by Suunto. Pricy but nice.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/SUN0056/Suunto-Vector-Watch.html?id=Cjb3hwYT

highway
12-09-2006, 10:22
I'm considering getting a watch to take on the trail. I've almost never wear a watch, but here's why i'm thinking about it now. I don't want to know the time, in fact I DON'T want to know the time. I want an altimeter though. It's dead useful and sometime just fun. But I'm already taking a pocketmail e-mail device for journal keeping (maybe), and a digital camera. I don't want too many gadgets. Thoughts?

I can see a need for a watch but why the altimeter? I guess you could periodically calibrate it from the peaks of some sites where you know the elevation on the AT but what useful purpose will it serve otherwise since you will not be navigating by compass & topo?

Sly
12-09-2006, 10:31
You can get a Timex, sans compass, for $99-

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2130309&cp=&origkw=altimeter&kw=altimeter&parentPage=search&searchId=18620938671

Since the AT is so well marked you may not need it all that much, but they're nice to have. I got the Suunto X-Lander (hard case compared to the Vector) to hike the CDT and used its features every day. Now I don't hike without it.

Frosty
12-09-2006, 10:33
I dont usually wear a watch. However I got one for my hike for the reason hammock engineer pointed out. Knowing if your gonna make POs or stores before they close. I dont plan on wearing it but just having it strapped on my pack.That's what I do (strap it on my pack). I put it in a loop in my sternum strap. On long steady ascents I play games with it, checking to see how long it took to climb 300 feet, or try to guess the current elevaton (how far I've climbed since I last looked).

It also has a temperature function. It's pretty cool at night to know just how cool it is. This is another reason for hanging a watch off your pack. When I wear my watch on my wrist, the temperature always reads in the nineties :)

Some people hate gadgets on the trail, and hike to get away from them. Expect some static. But we all hike for our own reasons. I like toys, and one of my reasons for being in the woods is to play with them. At varying times I carry a small word processor, a GPS, a digital voice recorder, a digital camera, the above mentioned watch/altimeter/thermometer, and a cell phone. I have yet to carry them all at once, though. I guess even I have my limits...

Sly
12-09-2006, 10:35
I can see a need for a watch but why the altimeter? I guess you could periodically calibrate it from the peaks of some sites where you know the elevation on the AT but what useful purpose will it serve otherwise since you will not be navigating by compass & topo?

There's a lot of other places you can calibrate it, the Companion and Handbook have elevations. But I agree it's mostly only a toy on the AT.

PeterB
12-09-2006, 11:16
I don't like wearing a watch, so I use a zipper pull watch that doubles as a backup light. I just attach it to the outside of my pack. I.e. something like:

http://www.gearlog.com/2006/06/summer_gadgets_zipper_pull_wat.php

JJB
12-09-2006, 11:39
I wear a watch as a navagation device. If you have a idea how fast you're going you should be able to figure out where you sould be.

Brushy Sage
12-09-2006, 11:56
I wore a watch, and it was interesting how many people who didn't have one asked me for the time.

hopefulhiker
12-09-2006, 12:17
I used a watch too, for navigation, a cheap plastic Casio...

Ewker
12-09-2006, 12:29
I only wear a watch when hiking. I started wearing one because I got tired of asking people what time it was esp when I was freezer bag cooking.
I bought a cheapo Timex watch from Wal-Mart for $10. So far it has lasted 3 yrs

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2006, 14:23
In addition to those times when you may be racing to town or the Post Office, there are other things a watch is good for.

I like to get an early start, and I WANT to know if it's quarter to seven in the morning or quarter to eight. Or if I wake up in the middle of the night (which I do a lot), I want to know if it's three thirty or four thirty. If it's closer to five, I might just pack up and get moving at first light; if it's earlier, I'll go back to sleep.

A watch is also useful for planning your hiking/mileage. If I'm at a shelter or location and I'm wondering whether or not to continue til the next shelter, knowing what time it is will help me guesstimate my arrival at the next place.....there are places where I definitely DON'T want to hike in the dark, and having a good idea of when sunset is due can come in very handy.

And lastly, there are times when I'm tired, maybe it's the end of the day, and I'll tell myself, OK, just half an hour (or whatever) more, or maybe if it's getting on the end of the day, I'll tell myself, "You have forty minutes tioo find a good campsite or that's it, day's over!"

And finally, if you know your approximate hiking speed, a watch will be a great help in figuring out how long it'll take you to cover a certain stretch of trail, what time it'll be when you finish, etc. There actually are times when you want to be in a certain place at a certain time (to meet a friend, get a shuttle ride, etc.) so having a watch will let you know whether or not you are "on schedule", ahead of it, need to pick up the pace, etc.

In short, I've always found a watch very handy out there.

Sly
12-09-2006, 14:52
And finally, if you know your approximate hiking speed, a watch will be a great help in figuring out how long it'll take you to cover a certain stretch of trail

AKA "dead reckoning"

Alligator
12-09-2006, 15:32
A watch with an altimeter helps to calculate climbing times as Frosty mentions. You can get a better understanding of your hiking pace if you know how long it takes to climb say 500 or 1000 ft.

If you are on a trail, knowing elevation gives can give a good fix on your location, especially if you are on say on a mountain. It is less useful if the terrain is rolling or just plain flat.

Spock
12-09-2006, 15:57
MrHappy,
A watch is a really good idea. It can make your life on the trail simpler and safer. IMHO, simpler watches are better.
* On cloudy days, it can help you make camp in good time instead of being caught by early dark.
* If it has a day/date function, it can help you schedule town/post office visits, and avoid getting to the PO after if closes on Saturday.
* If you are trying to make miles, an early start is helpful, so an alarm is not a bad idea (if you can stand having your life that regulated).

Frosty
12-09-2006, 16:02
if I wake up in the middle of the night (which I do a lot), I want to know if it's three thirty or four thirty. If it's closer to five, I might just pack up and get moving at first light; if it's earlier, I'll go back to sleep.I do this a lot, also.

MarcnNJ
12-09-2006, 18:01
I used my altimeter a lot...calibrating it a couple times a day......on easy terrain i could tell how far i was travelling judging by my normal pace.....but on uphills, i used the altimeter to tell me how much climbing i still had to get to the top......

simon
12-09-2006, 22:39
My watch doubles as a compass when i want a quick check. It a cheap Timex.

Dawn
12-09-2006, 23:31
This is what I use on a regular basis and plan to take on the trail next year:

http://www.thecompassstore.com/highgear.html

I prefer not to have a watch on my wrist so this is great for me.

deadair
12-10-2006, 01:23
this makes me think of the movie easy rider when he throws his watch on the ground before their journey ;)

hammock engineer
12-10-2006, 02:32
I like the thermometer feature on mine. As long as it is not on your body it is fairly accurate. It is fun to watch over the course of my last couple day hikes and watch the temp drop.

johnny quest
12-11-2006, 14:54
This is what I use on a regular basis and plan to take on the trail next year:

http://www.thecompassstore.com/highgear.html

I prefer not to have a watch on my wrist so this is great for me.

i really like that one. any idea what it weighs?

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 15:08
if you need an altimeter to tell which mountain you are on while on the A.T. something is wrong.
it will be very useful at the beginning of your thru hike to have a watch for all of the reasons listed but probably the best reason is to learn your speed and the sun position.
you will become so atuned to your surroundings that by Va. you will be able to look at the sun and be within about 5 minutes of correct time. you will also learn how fast you hike under all sorts of conditions and will be able to figure destination time very closely. this will help greatly in determining whether to continue, eat now, find camp, find water, make the P.O. or reach a shelter and your watch will teach you all of these things.
you will be surprised at how much you look at the time during the first month of your hike but leave the altimeter home.

Dawn
12-11-2006, 15:14
I know I have no NEED for an altimeter for the AT. However, I have gotten used to having it there as my watch too. It has other features that I like too. I'm sure I could find a watch which weighs less (this one weighs 2.4 oz with battery to answer johnny quest), but I like it.

johnny quest
12-11-2006, 15:16
thats not bad. i hate wearing a watch and like that one you hightlighted. i think i will take your reccomendation and get it!!! and i thought i had everything i needed.

The Weasel
12-11-2006, 15:22
Jack is right about the virtues of a watch, but if the sole purpose is bringing an altimeter, it's probably wasted. Altimeters are barometers, and the microclimates along the AT, along with the rapidly changing macro weather, means that unless recalibrated daily - sometimes more - they will not be accurate, sometimes being out of whack by 100 feet or more. There's not a lot of navigational need for them, at least if you have a map and/or the Data Book, and if you have a large scale map, you can determine elevations reliably.

As for checking time, most digital cameras have a clock/time in the display, as do most point/click 35 mm cameras. If your need for a watch is minor, that might be adequate.

The Weasel

Alligator
12-11-2006, 15:32
if you need an altimeter to tell which mountain you are on while on the A.T. something is wrong.
...Not the point. It can help to tell you where you are at on the mountain or elsewhere.

it will be very useful at the beginning of your thru hike to have a watch for all of the reasons listed but probably the best reason is to learn your speed and the sun position.
you will become so atuned to your surroundings that by Va. you will be able to look at the sun and be within about 5 minutes of correct time. you will also learn how fast you hike under all sorts of conditions and will be able to figure destination time very closely. this will help greatly in determining whether to continue, eat now, find camp, find water, make the P.O. or reach a shelter and your watch will teach you all of these things.
you will be surprised at how much you look at the time during the first month of your hike but leave the altimeter homeI find my assessment of my hiking speed is more precise through knowing the amount of elevation tackled. This is very accurately done with an altimeter IMO. It's not absolutely necessary, but since I'm carrying a watch anyway, it's a useful feature.

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 15:39
on my 1990 thru i had hiked quite a bit with WF and he was testing an altimeter watch for Casio at the time. due to all of the barimetric pressure changes in the eastern mountains, if i remember correctly, the unit was fairly useless as anything but a watch.

Alligator
12-11-2006, 15:53
on my 1990 thru i had hiked quite a bit with WF and he was testing an altimeter watch for Casio at the time. due to all of the barimetric pressure changes in the eastern mountains, if i remember correctly, the unit was fairly useless as anything but a watch.My Suunto rarely drifts more than 100 ft, and that is generally only when I don't reset it daily. Even then though, being off by one hundred feet for an absolute reference is no big deal.

However, being able to estimate speed over the last 750 climb (relative change) is very useful. The barometric changes likely to occur over this short time interval are usually very small. It's possible that a quick thunderstorm may have rolled in, but even then, the effect is usually small. You can check the barometric pressure too. If it's not fluctuating greatly, there's little concern for drift.

The early Casios weren't rated all that well either.

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 16:05
Alligator,
good to know about the early attempts by Casio. i wasn't impressed back then. now i am looking for one myself for a thru of the PCT in 2007. I figured that it would be far more useful out there than on the AT. any suggestions?
geek

Johnny Swank
12-11-2006, 16:06
I rarely wear a watch except on a trip, but find them invaluable outside to wake me up if I need to make a PO at a certain time, guage speed, or just give me motivation to make it "another 20 minutes before I can die on the side of the trail."

I don't necessarily wear it, but I do have it in/on my pack.

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 16:22
Johnny Swank,
please PM me, i would love to talk awhile about the Mississippi.Did you meet Pug and Peggy Hansen in Helena Ark.?
geek

Alligator
12-11-2006, 16:29
Alligator,
good to know about the early attempts by Casio. i wasn't impressed back then. now i am looking for one myself for a thru of the PCT in 2007. I figured that it would be far more useful out there than on the AT. any suggestions?
geekI don't like my Suunto, but it's not related to the altimeter. I don't like having to take the watch off for the temperature. They make a lanyard for it though, but I'm not sure I want it swinging around. I liked the clip option in Dawn's link above, but I don't know anything about that company. I also like the Brunton series, with the wind gauges. I haven't read any reviews on them either.

The conundrum is if the watch is not on your person, then you can't use the altimeter as effectively. If it is on your person, then the temperature is off. Maybe clipped to the D-ring on the shoulder strap will work, I may rig something like that. I usually just check the temp on breaks, where I take the watch off. I'm still waiting for the day I leave it sitting there.

Then sometimes I consider getting a gps. Not at all for the AT, but for other trips where the trails aren't so well marked and for canoeing. Something basic, but I'd like it to have an altimeter too.

Footslogger
12-11-2006, 16:32
I don't like my Suunto, but it's not related to the altimeter. I don't like having to take the watch off for the temperature. They make a lanyard for it though, but I'm not sure I want it swinging around. I liked the clip option in Dawn's link above, but I don't know anything about that company. I also like the Brunton series, with the wind gauges. I haven't read any reviews on them either.

The conundrum is if the watch is not on your person, then you can't use the altimeter as effectively. If it is on your person, then the temperature is off. Maybe clipped to the D-ring on the shoulder strap will work, I may rig something like that. I usually just check the temp on breaks, where I take the watch off. I'm still waiting for the day I leave it sitting there.

Then sometimes I consider getting a gps. Not at all for the AT, but for other trips where the trails aren't so well marked and for canoeing. Something basic, but I'd like it to have an altimeter too.

=======================================

Hey Alligator ...I have the Suunto Vector and wear it (upside down) on my sternum strap. It stays far enough away from my chest to maintain pretty accurate temp readings and all I have to do is look down. Works pretty good. I don't like things on my wrist when I hike anyway.

'Slogger

johnny quest
12-11-2006, 16:34
definitely get a gps. not for the at but for so many other things, when weight isnt a concern. i take my little garmin with me hiking, canoeing, kayaking and when the kids were little got into geocaching. i got to say that little garmin was one of the best 100 dollar bills i ever dropped.

Alligator
12-11-2006, 16:43
=======================================

Hey Alligator ...I have the Suunto Vector and wear it (upside down) on my sternum strap. It stays far enough away from my chest to maintain pretty accurate temp readings and all I have to do is look down. Works pretty good. I don't like things on my wrist when I hike anyway.

'SloggerDo you leave the watch strap attached such that the watch body is off your chest? Have you ever checked the temperature on and off to be sure? I wonder how far off the body it needs to be?

I'm not sure I'd like it there. I used to carry my SLR camera there and I dropped it a lot at breaks:o . But I might be able to hook it through the D-ring like that.

Frosty
12-11-2006, 16:46
you will become so atuned to your surroundings that by Va. you will be able to look at the sun and be within about 5 minutes of correct time.Well, withing an hour or so, anyway, but if your surroundings include a watch hung on your sternum strap, you can tell the time to within 5 seconds. And you can do it at night and when it's raining, too.

Footslogger
12-11-2006, 16:46
[quote=Alligator;283517]Do you leave the watch strap attached such that the watch body is off your chest? Have you ever checked the temperature on and off to be sure? I wonder how far off the body it needs to be?
==================================

There is a small webbing loop on either side of my sternum strap (near the shoulder straps) that I thread it through. It doesn't bobble around that way when I walk. The watch head sits a couple inches away from my body and seems to give me accurate readings ...at least much moreso than if I was wearing it on my wrist.

'Slogger

Alligator
12-11-2006, 16:52
[quote=Alligator;283517]Do you leave the watch strap attached such that the watch body is off your chest? Have you ever checked the temperature on and off to be sure? I wonder how far off the body it needs to be?
==================================

There is a small webbing loop on either side of my sternum strap (near the shoulder straps) that I thread it through. It doesn't bobble around that way when I walk. The watch head sits a couple inches away from my body and seems to give me accurate readings ...at least much moreso than if I was wearing it on my wrist.

'SloggerI'll give that a try, see how it works.

Almost There
12-11-2006, 22:29
I just got the Highgear Altitech 2, actually got it in August but haven't used it yet. I hate wearing a watch. This way it clips to the pack and gives more accurate temp readings, I also read alot of reviews and this seemed like one of the altimeters that stayed accurate more often then many of the other watches out there.

I agree with Jack, I like to know what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night which I do alot, and when it's getting late, how much further can I go and when do I need to start looking for a campsite.

I've seen them for sale between $60 and $75. Steep and Cheap puts it up it seems like once every coupla months.

saimyoji
12-11-2006, 22:55
My listening device has a radio built into it. Good to know the time, don't need to know much else. If I didn't already have them, I'd go for an analog watch with an alarm and thermometer. My maps tell me the altitude, so no real need there. Of course, if I had the money that HighGear doohickey sure does look fun! :)

MrHappy
12-12-2006, 00:51
Well I've asked for an altimeter watch for christmas. It's all in Santa's hands now. :-D

ed bell
12-12-2006, 01:02
However, being able to estimate speed over the last 750 climb (relative change) is very useful. The barometric changes likely to occur over this short time interval are usually very small. It's possible that a quick thunderstorm may have rolled in, but even then, the effect is usually small. You can check the barometric pressure too. If it's not fluctuating greatly, there's little concern for drift.

There is also a hold feature on many altimeter watches that allows the watch to interpret barometer readings as being a result of weather changes instead of altitude changes. Adjusting the watch to this setting when you make camp for the night keeps it much closer to accurate. I checked the 2 day history for barometric pressure at my local airport, and there would have been no single hour that I would have had to adjust my watch. Just to be sure, I checked Seattle's past 48 hours(been quite unsettled out there) and there would have been a couple times where the pressure changed enough to warrant recalabrating. Most readings still were inside of .2 inches. That's not gonna throw the altimeter off by much. Barametric pressure takes a long time to change enough to really throw an altimeter way off. Add the likelyhood that one can ID at least one altitude position per day (from maps or guidebooks) and calabration is really pretty easy. I agree with Alligator on the usefulness of estimating speed relative to climbs. I also like to push my pace on climbs, and my watch has a +/- ft per minute counter. Sometimes its fun to see how high up I can get it to read.:) Usually ends up with me needing a break.:D

Frosty
12-12-2006, 02:41
I agree with Alligator on the usefulness of estimating speed relative to climbs. I also like to push my pace on climbs, and my watch has a +/- ft per minute counter. Sometimes its fun to see how high up I can get it to read.:) Usually ends up with me needing a break.:DBeen there, done that, sucked wind...

ed bell
12-12-2006, 12:44
Been there, done that, sucked wind...Needless to say, the novelty of trying that wore off real quick for me. I have never tried it going downhill for obvious reasons.:D

Alligator
12-12-2006, 13:04
I was just going to say, I have had some blistering negative rates...

I'll have to read my manual again to check for that setting.

ed bell
12-12-2006, 13:16
I was just going to say, I have had some blistering negative rates...

I'll have to read my manual again to check for that setting.I've seen the negative rate get up there, but I've avoided trying harder cause it might end up with me getting a descent rate of 9.8 meters per second per second.:D. Ive got the Suunto Observer and it will keep the altitude fixed in BARO mode. Not sure how common this feature is on other altimeter watches. Very handy for helping to keep good calibration.

n2k
12-12-2006, 13:45
Take the watch and leave the email gadget at home. You will not believe how much you wont miss the internet - one of the joys of the trial - and it probably will not work on the trail anyway.

Alligator
12-12-2006, 14:06
I've seen the negative rate get up there, but I've avoided trying harder cause it might end up with me getting a descent rate of 9.8 meters per second per second.:D. Ive got the Suunto Observer and it will keep the altitude fixed in BARO mode. Not sure how common this feature is on other altimeter watches. Very handy for helping to keep good calibration.Are you telling me to go jump off a cliff ;) :D ?

The Old Fhart
12-12-2006, 16:07
I've been using Casio Altimeter watches for many years and have found them to be reliable and quite accurate. The present one (no longer made-replaced by newer models) is about 3 years old and has a quite a few scratches but is working fine. At a press of a button I can switch back and forth between altimeter and barometer. In the barometer mode it displays a small graph of the barometric trend over the last 12 hours and that can help you forecast the weather. In the photo you can see the pressure rising then leveling off.

http://www.metrocast.net/~rjb0343/Test/WatchP0224.jpg

When I hiked the JMT I used one of the Casio watches and found it very useful. It only displayed altitude up to 13,200ft but I figured it would actually work to a higher altitude so what I did on the last day when I would be going higher was, when I got to 12,000ft, set it to 2,000ft, and it read about 4,496ft when I was on top of Whitney which is 14,496ft.

The watch has temp, altitude alarms, and altitude memory locations to kind of store waypoints plus all the other watch functions in a 1.5oz. package. The battery lasts 1.5-2 years. The electro-luminescent back light can be set to come on by turning your wrist to read it or with a button push. It is about the size of a regular watch so it doesn't look huge on your wrist like some of the other brands. Price, new, on Ebay-$39.

maxNcathy
12-13-2006, 09:50
I bought a Highgear Altitech... watch, altimeter,compass, barometer, thermometer, alarm, stop watch,...on ebay for 82 dollars and like it. My model does not strap to your wrist but has a loop to attach to your belt or pack etc. It is about 9/16 inch thick by 2 1/4 in diameter.

Sandalwood

JoeHiker
12-15-2006, 10:22
i really like that one. any idea what it weighs?

The HighGear Altitech 2 weighs 2.5 ounces