PDA

View Full Version : Digi cam w/ Regular batteries???

Dogginfox
12-09-2006, 05:48
Im looking for a digital camera for my up comming thru hike, im not big on relying on a funky battery that i cant just take out and replace. anyone know where i can find such a camera?

khaynie
12-09-2006, 08:09
Sony Cybershot makes several models that require only double A batteries. That's what I used on my thru. It took great pictures and I didnt' have to carry a charger.

On the other hand, there were several people that carried two charged lithium batteries - one for the camera and the other as a backup. They were bouncing the charger down (SOBO) the trail. It seemed to work pretty well for them.

Casio makes a great ultral light low profile camera. If you haven't looked into them, check out their Exilim line.

rafe
12-09-2006, 10:19
Read the camera specs carefully, they'll always indicate the battery type. I carried a Canon A620 on my last long section hike. It uses four AA batteries and will take about 500+ pictures on a set. I was on the trail for 11 days, took 200+ photos and didn't come close to exhausting the batteries. The A620 is reasonably cheap (about $200) but not the lightest -- weighs 11.8 oz including the batteries. I'll probably be looking for a lighter model (say, 5 oz. max) for the next section.

Having said all that, rechargeable Li-ion batteries (eg. Canon's BP-511) hold enough energy for about 10 days of shooting. You could put the charger in your bounce box. I've done a 10 day section with a Canon G2 and a single battery.

Check out dpreview.com for in-depth reviews, and bhphotovideo.com for detailed specs (and when you're ready to buy.)