PDA

View Full Version : Staying in shape on the trail

iamscottym
12-09-2006, 10:40
Hey all,

Up till now I've been planning on doing a nobo in 07. However, I've recently decided to join the marines, and am concerned I would not be able to retain my current level of physical fitness on the trail. After spending 6 weeks on the trail this fall- from harper's ferry down into Va and back ~500miles, it seems that every thru hiker I saw looked like a cross country runner, rather than the fine physical specimen that years of gymnastics has brought me. I definitely don't want to show up to boot camp all legs, I find my upper body helps me carry a heavy pack, etc.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping my muscle mass, or should I just scrub my thru. On my past hike, I carried an 80lb pack (yes, I know- way too much), but I ate well and I didnt lose much upper body muscle. I had been outfitting myself with lighter gear for my thru(I'm down to 10-12lbs baseweight), but now I'm thinking I might stay in better shape with a heavier pack.

Thanks,
iamscottym

Lone Wolf
12-09-2006, 10:47
On my first few thru-hikes, or whenever I hike, I would do push ups and pull ups. Once in awhile a would pick up a rock and do curls while I walked. Don't worry about fitness in boot camp. I've been there, done that. They will build you slowly. Do the hike. You'll be in great shape for boot training.

Blue Jay
12-09-2006, 11:41
I agree completely with Lone Wolf, don't worry too much, you'll be fine. My only suggestion would be to try and do some cardio work with the pack off. Alternate a longer hiking day with one where you hide the pack somewhere and trail run as fast as possible for at least a half hour to an hour. I'm a lifetime runner and in the past when I got back from a thousand miles or more my legs are so big it's hard to move them quickly for several weeks. I had the lungs but not that type of muscle. This seems to prevent that.

Lone Wolf
12-09-2006, 11:43
On my 93 thru-hike I would go for a 2-3 mile run on my days off in town.

rafe
12-09-2006, 11:44
Cosmic Charlie had a one-word reply when asked how he "trained" for the AT: Georgia.

Blue Jay
12-09-2006, 11:47
Oh, I almost forgot, yes do the heavy pack. Maybe not 80, that is too much but 60 should work. Going light for most things is good, just carry more food. When leaving town carry somthing quality and frozen, like steak or shrimp. It will defrost in your pack and you'll have to fight off other hikers which will help in boot camp.

stuco
12-09-2006, 14:05
Maybe find a branch in the mornings or at night and do a lot of pullups/chinups, and also do pushups crunches etc. That and carrying a heavy pack (with lots of food) should help.

K0OPG
12-10-2006, 11:56
as long as you stick to the 3 basic of the initial strength test "crunches, 1.5 mile run, and deadhang pullups" you'll be fine. doing pushups and crunches while on the trail will help immensely. The running is another matter. Many have written about not being able to run after their hike due to different muscle groups being used in hiking. The person that posted that he ran on his day(s) off the trail sounds like a great idea.

On the oher hand, have fun in bootcamp. I know that sounds funny but remember; it is all a game the drill instructors play. Yes it is hard and demanding at times, but it will be one of the times you will always remember from your time in the Marines. I know, I retired in 2003 after 20 years and I still remember bootcamp! If you get down there you might have a platoon/company commander by the name of Lt. Kasich (possibly Captain by then). That's my son-in-law. Don't tell him you know of me and I won't say anything because then you will be thrashed just for the hell of it.

Take care, and good luck on your thru (yes do it) and then have a great time in the Corps. oohrah and Semper Fi.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2006, 12:07
I went thru MCRD 3rd Batallion 29 years ago. I remember it like yesterday.:)

K0OPG
12-10-2006, 13:37
1stBn A co May-Aug 1983

iamscottym
12-10-2006, 14:25
Coop/wolf

Do either of you have any estimates for how many pushups/crunches/pull-ups I should shoot for beyond the ift and the pft? I'm already in pretty good shape: 80 pushups/2minutes, 110 crunches/2 minutes, 25 pull ups...not sure on my mile time, I haven't been timing it. I know it still needs some work though. I know it's not likely, but if possible I'd like to be able to breeze through basic.

The recruiter also told me a bunch of stuff to memorize..rank, creed, all that stuff.

Is there anything else I should know to make life easier?

I haven't decided on an MOS yet...but I'm electronically/mechanically inclined (studied to be a mech. eng. at Northwestern University- 2 years), however I was also considering something in combat arms like designated marksman. Advice?

Pacific Tortuga
12-10-2006, 15:47
On my 93 thru-hike I would go for a 2-3 mile run on my days off in town.

L. Wolf or Mad Dog ..... either way your an animal with attitude :)

Kerosene
12-10-2006, 17:06
Even after section hikes of 8-9 days and 100-150 miles my running legs are already compromised. I get back on the soccer field and while I have a lot of endurance my legs feel "dead". It takes me 1-2 weeks to get back into soccer shape.

Frankly I think that it is impossible to maintain your fitness level for one sport while immersing yourself so fully in another for 4-6 months, but doing a daily regimen will help to keep you from losing everything. If you can force yourself to do it every day, and keep hiking every day, I think that you mental discipline will be better than 99% of the other recruits.

Disney
12-10-2006, 19:18
Make sure you get enough protein. Probably a good idea to get some whey protein powder and bring it along.

iamscottym
12-10-2006, 20:49
Disney,

I already do the whole protein thing, and usually bring some along when I hike. However, I'm not sure I want to do mail drops just because it seems like it will be a huge hassle. I know I'll be pressed for cash for my hike, so I'm trying to work out whether mail drops will be cheaper in the long run. Since I'll be eating more than most hikers, mail drops could potentially be much cheaper- so that's pretty much the deciding factor.

Sandy B
12-10-2006, 20:51
If no MOS go RECON.... All the fun stuff

Sandy B

The Solemates
12-11-2006, 11:09
Your not gonna be able to retain the muscle mass you start with before your thru hike. I started my thru hike as a serious bodybuilder at 220lbs of muscle after years of weightlifting. At one point on the trail, I was down to 183 or so (for comparison, I think I weighed more than that in the 8th grade). By the end of the trail, I was 194 and the skinniest I had ever been. BUT, I started lifting even more seriously after my thru hike and was back up to 215 of solid muscle within 6 months. It comes back quick if you stick with it.

johnny quest
12-11-2006, 11:33
bootcamp will focus on cardio work. you will do lots of running, formation running (totally different) and spend a LOT of time in the rose garden. (you will find out what that is.) i would think a thruhike would be as fine a bit of prepwork for bootcamp but not in the physical sense. you will have many memories to think back on.

enjoy bootcamp. as the other said, you will never forget the experience. i hated it then, but love it now. i went and took a physical yesterday as part of my bid to go back in as a marine reserve. once/always.

Sundancekid
12-11-2006, 23:25
Dont worry to much about the conditioning, boot camp is 99% mental anyway. I currently work as a PMI at mcrd parris island teaching recruits to fire the M16 series rifles and there are not many ripped up kids coming thru. Like the old salts said do some push ups and some pull ups each day, try and get your protein and u will be in good enough shape for boot camp. Now as to the MOS talk, if you dont want to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and close combat then i highly suggest that you go to another service. I tell my recruits every week, i dont understand why people go thru the mental torture of boot camp to be admin stapler #3 for the S3 shop. Now obviously i'm a grunt, i fought in iraq as 3/2 india co 3rd plt 2nd sqd ldr, we need tough guys so if that is what u are prepared to do then come on. If it is a skill your after it is just smarter to go else where. Ok enough recruiting spill, I get out in feb 07 and will start on the 27 feb, hope to see you up the trail and good luck with your decision.

bfitz
12-12-2006, 05:06
Disney,

I already do the whole protein thing, and usually bring some along when I hike. However, I'm not sure I want to do mail drops just because it seems like it will be a huge hassle. I know I'll be pressed for cash for my hike, so I'm trying to work out whether mail drops will be cheaper in the long run. Since I'll be eating more than most hikers, mail drops could potentially be much cheaper- so that's pretty much the deciding factor.
Definitely Bounce box big containers of Nitro-Tech or something like it. Load up massively on protein, way more than you think could possibly be necessary, especially if you've built up a lot and you wanna keep it. Your body won't burn your muscle tissue for protein unless you make it so load up several times a day. Google HMB (an amino supplement). Otherwise try to be creative and eat good for you food (and enough of it) instead of junk. That's why people get scrawny on the trail.

K0OPG
12-12-2006, 11:50
I agree with sundance. However, if you have already signed the contract and have a designated date to ship off to bootcamp, then it is too late to choose a MOS. You should have been assigned a mos when you signed the paperwork, if you didn't then your recruiter signed you up for an open contract. If you have great ASVAB scores, then you will probably not get a ground pounder mos. If you squeeked by on the asvab, then prepare for 0300. I was a recruiter and that's the way it was back then.

Sundance: what BN are you with? My son-in-law was with 1stBn, I think he is with 3dBn now...Lt Kasich. If you know him, give him some **** for me. Also, I'm impressed that you went DI. I was 31 when I went recruiter and I knew that was too old for DI school. oohrah!

iamscottym
12-12-2006, 18:11
Coopdog,

I have not signed the paperwork yet. I'm still debating whether to do a thru, and which mos. Once I decide, I will then sign the paperwork. I took a practice asvab a while back- 99% percentile. I only missed one question- automotive related (I know absolutely nothing about cars).

Does anyone have any advice on making sniper team? The recruiter made it sound like anyone can do anything, and that sounds like a bunch of bull. I'm worried about qualifying for water safety level 1. From the way the recruiter described it, you have to rescue a drill instructor while he tries to beat the **** out of you.

If I don't do combat, what MOS's are actually fun?

Bfitz- I've tried that nitro tech junk, as well as creatine, etc. It just makes me feel like ****. Plus, it feels like cheating. I'll stick to building muscle the old fashioned way.

Bravo
12-12-2006, 18:13
Bfitz- I've tried that nitro tech junk, as well as creatine, etc. It just makes me feel like ****. Plus, it feels like cheating. I'll stick to building muscle the old fashioned way.

How's it cheating? You eat, right? Is that cheating to build muscle?:-?

johnny quest
12-12-2006, 18:22
i echo the other fellas sentiments. why go in the marines except to go combat arms???? tanks, arty, grunts. and once you make sergeant latmove into e.o.d. and blow crap up. i loved it!!!!

bfitz
12-12-2006, 21:08
Creatine is a waste of time IMO, but Nitro-tech or other supplement-enhanced protien powder makes up for a lot of what you can't easily carry with you while hiking. It definitely gives some people the farts, but there are alternatives. You won't be building any muscle on the trail, you'll be trying to preserve it while your body cannibalizes itself for protein. That's why amino supplements and things like HMB are useful if you've built up any you want to keep. The old fashioned way is key, too, though. If you can be creative and eat highly nutritious food while you hike you'll do better than all those eating ramen and pop tarts.

SalParadise
12-12-2006, 22:37
Creatine is a waste of time IMO, but Nitro-tech or other supplement-enhanced protien powder makes up for a lot of what you can't easily carry with you while hiking....That's why amino supplements and things like HMB are useful if you've built up any you want to keep.

no way I'd take creatine while hiking. Your muscles would cramp up like mad because you've been sapping them of hydration and you could run into some serious dehydration problems.

I sometimes took protein shakes along the way; they were great. Filling, and so many are fortified with so many vitamins that are great to have along the way. If I was feeling sapped I'd have one and feel great in the afternoon.

I heard of a guy once who hiked with dumbbels and did arm curls along the way, but I had doubts to the validity of the story.

bfitz
12-12-2006, 22:55
no way I'd take creatine while hiking. Your muscles would cramp up like mad because you've been sapping them of hydration and you could run into some serious dehydration problems.
Good point. Cramps are more common with creatine use.

I heard of a guy once who hiked with dumbbels and did arm curls along the way, but I had doubts to the validity of the story.A non-hiker once suggested to me I get "heavy-hands" to get an upper body work out. I didn't even know where to begin with my response!

the goat
12-12-2006, 23:15
ya'll really think that someone can maintain their muscle mass over the course of a thru by drinking protein powder?:-?

i tend to think that the aerobic exertion would deplete one's muscle mass over a 6 month timeframe with that kind of daily exercise.

bfitz
12-12-2006, 23:40
Mabye not maintain, sure you'll probably lose weight, but if you take steps hopefully more of it will be fat and less muscle .

Downunda
12-12-2006, 23:45
What I suggest you do is carry the packs of 2 or 3 other thru-hikers. They'll appreciate it and you'll get fitter!

Almost There
12-13-2006, 00:10
As a football and wrestling coach I can tell that creatine works if used, and here is the key...properly. It bulks me up significantly faster, but you should be using high sugar fruit juice such as grape juice in order to get it to bond in your body faster, on top of this you should be drinking 4 liters of water a day in order to protect your organs...this is assuming that you are not out walking 15+ miles a day. I can't see how you could use it on the trail and not cause detrimental effects to your body. A few years ago a wrestler from University of Michigan died while on it, and alot of bad press came out about the effects of it. The problem was he was cutting weight and had almost no water in his body. When this happens it will take water from your organs to transfer to your muscle...this will in turn force your organs to shut down. If you are going to take any supplements make sure you know all of the side effects. I will probably go back on creatine in the spring, but I always cycle off of it at least two weeks before I hike and I increase water intake as well. 6 months on the trail will thin you out, you will lose body muscle in your upper body, you can't prevent this, but you can limit it, if you really want to with pushups/situps, etc.

Just enjoy your hike, you can always build your muscle back up afterwards.

Playing football in college, my max bench press was 340lb. In July it was 225lbs. Been working out without Creatine or supplements and I am up to a max of 275lbs as of two weeks ago. I work out in a dumbell circuit and don't usually ever max out. (BTW I am 6ft, 245lbs, and have a 50inch chest with a 38inch waist.)

Body type also has alot to do with how Creatine affects you. I have a large mass body type, muscle building is easy for me, but gaining fat is easy as well. Leaner body types require more work to build muscle. The thing that keeps you thin also makes it hard for you to get big.

Muscles cramp...bad news while hiking in the summer months...I speak first hand on this...thin is better.

iamscottym
12-13-2006, 00:43
It's been so long since I've taken creatine I'd totally forgot about the hydration aspect, thanks for reminding me.

I always thought that while creatine made you bigger, it was just because it filled your muscles with water. I attributed any perceived strength gains to the placebo effect.

For me, I couldn't gain weight for the life of me in high school, but that seems to be changing. However, I seem to have kept my inability to put on fat aspect; so I guess it's the best of both worlds. I'm still a measly 42" chest, but that's paired with a 30" waist, and 5'9" frame (puffs up chest, beats with fist). haha.

It's looking like I'll go artillery, since I doubt I could make sniper team.

Sundancekid
12-13-2006, 07:16
Arty is a safe way to go, you still get to put rounds on target and your not foot mobile and have to worry about IED's. Our sniper teams did not make you become an S1 swimmer the biggest concern was obviously rifle qualification. That may have been just in my BN though, if you want to be a HOG bad enough then swimming should be the least of your worry's. Jump in the deep end of a pool i promise you figure it out, and believe it or not your size will make you a better sniper (smaller frame is easier to hide) plus they like guys who can carry alot of weight because you have to be self sufficient like a thru hiker. No I was not a sniper but most of my good friends were that is the only reason I know about the community.

Coopdog: I am not a DI I work as a Primary Marksmanship Instructor at Parris Island. I specifically teach kids combat marksmanship techniques for close combat. I have nothing but respect for what the DI's do but I just cant yell all day.

Almost There
12-13-2006, 10:23
Just remember if you go the supplement route that you understand "all" the positive and negative side effects that they bring about. Good Luck with your choice!

iamscottym
12-13-2006, 18:11
Sundance,

Do you have any tips for qualifying as a sniper, if I decide to go that way? If I don't qualify, is there any way to go into arty, rather than back to normal infantry?

Thanks,
iamscottym

Lone Wolf
12-13-2006, 18:13
A good start is to qualify Expert at the rifle range.

johnny quest
12-13-2006, 18:20
A good start is to qualify Expert at the rifle range.

that is a good start, but you better be a lot better than that.

i had the honor of meeting gunny carlos hathcock, twice, while i was in. what a gentleman. what a quiet dignified inspiring man.

Sundancekid
12-13-2006, 19:53
For our sniper platoon or STA (surveilance and Target aqquisition) for the politically correct folks, the prereq's were an expert rifle rifle qual and a gt score over 100 on your asvab (not to tough i'm sure you have it). If you met the prereqs you would run an indoc for that SS platoon (scout/sniper dont spaz liberals). Ours was a 10 mile pack run, some radio assembly and operation stations, the O course a few times, and a couple of other stations. Once you make it into a platoon then after a few months and you earn your seat they will send you to most likely the hardest school in the military, Marine sniper school which is run from stone bay NC, and Quantico VA. Less than 30% grad rates, most guys will fail the first time thru, they just go back and study up and practice stalks and go back to school. Now I enjoy being a "normal" infantry squad leader but I did sleep a little better when I knew that my best friend was on a scope in the building behind my sector of the line. As far as the mos change I dont know much about that, recently I have been told that they want people new to there MOS's to do it instead of a senior person transferring to a new mos with no credibility in that field. example an infantry ssgt lat moves to admin, the lcpl's would know more than the ssgt. Not good for the chain of command. hope it helps out.

Turtle2
12-13-2006, 22:20
Back to the question. Hitech put water bottles on his Lekis during his 2006 thru. A little weight on the poles works the arms and makes it easy to keep a good supply of water. His arms were impressive at the end of the hike. IMO he did not loose a lot of muscle, if anything he was buff.

Footslogger
12-13-2006, 23:04
Staying in shape ON the trail ain't the problem ...it's staying in shape once you're OFF the trail.

'Slogger

bfitz
12-14-2006, 03:44
Back to the question. Hitech put water bottles on his Lekis during his 2006 thru. A little weight on the poles works the arms and makes it easy to keep a good supply of water. His arms were impressive at the end of the hike. IMO he did not loose a lot of muscle, if anything he was buff.

Now, that's a friggen good idea!