PDA

View Full Version : Planning AT outings

LastHonestFool
12-10-2006, 01:19
Hey, new member here.

I've been backpacking numerous times, but I've never been the guy to plan it. Always someone else's idea and I go with them on their itenirary.

Anyhow, I'm planning a trip with my buddy to go December 27-29, and it's proving EXTREMELY more difficult than I imagined. I know my start and end point and such, but other questions arose. Here's some of them, and help would be appreciated:

-How do I get to the trailheads? (one's at PenMar park, so I'm gonna park there...calling them tommorow to check on that kinda thing with them)
-Since it's only me and my buddy, I assumed the best way to do the drop off/pick up would be to leave his car at the place we're ending at (Ed Garvey Shelter) and mine where we start, but how do I verify that we'll be able to park where we need to?
-I got the idea for this hike from a website a backpacker set-up, but what's a good place for other ideas on good 3-5 day trips? Specifically parts of the AT in Va/WV/Md/Pa/etc. the states around Maryland

thanks in advance, love the site!

oh, and if this is in the wrong section, my appologies, feel free to move it, I couldn't quite figure out where to post it

rafe
12-10-2006, 09:18
Get the AT data book from ATC or the ALDHA guide (the latter available as PDFs, for free, online.) They'll give you an idea of what's going on in trail towns. As for specific trailheads, best to ask here or at similar sites, and assume nothing. It's never smart to leave cars unattended at trailheads for long. Also: trailheads that are perfectly agreeable in summer may be inaccessible in winter (ask me how I know...)

There are also books that describe short (2, 3, 4 day) hikes on the AT along with complete descriptions of trailheads.

More common and probable is to arrange with a local hosteler to stay one night (before or after your hike) and leave your car there. The hosteler may be willing to shuttle you to/from the trail, or arrange a shuttle for you. There's a site somewhere (I don't have the link handy right now) with an extensive list of shuttle facilities along the trail.

Once you get specific about your start/end road crossings, you might even ask here (or at similar sites.) Hikers like to help out other hikers.

Alligator
12-10-2006, 14:17
-How do I get to the trailheads?
... Start with the AT maps. If the trail crosses a road, there's usually some parking there. But it's always a good idea to check further. Regarding parking:

1. If you have the guidebooks that come with the maps, you might find this information there.
2. Ask specifically here and somebody generally knows.
3. Contact the trail organization responsible for that section.

Trail maps may be too detailed to determine how to get to the road on those maps. I find the state Gazetteers to be excellent in planning trips. These link the interstates to the forest roads very well IMO. They are especially useful for making car drops.

LastHonestFool
12-10-2006, 15:26
Terrapin:

could you point me in the direction of some of those books about 2-5 day trips?

Alligator:

"the trail organization respsonbile for that section"...that'd be the PATC for what I'm planning this month...so they'de be able to tell me about the specific shelters on their section, and how to access them?

my main concern is getting to my car from the Ed Garvey shelter, that'll be where we leave the AT and head home from...anyone familiar with it?

MOWGLI
12-10-2006, 15:45
my main concern is getting to my car from the Ed Garvey shelter, that'll be where we leave the AT and head home from...anyone familiar with it?

The Ed Garvey Shelter is just about 6 miles north of Harpers Ferry - with the last couple (walking south) on the C&O Canal. Walking from Pen Mar to Harpers Ferry in 3 days is relatively easy. There are no real tough climbs. If I were you, I'd consider leaving a car in Harpers Ferry, and leaving another one at Pen Mar Park.

Also, the Garvey Shelter is up on the ridge, and there is no parking at the shelter. Not sure about side trails leading to parking lots. I'm sure they exist.

Here's a link for a mileage calculator for you - http://www.ragtag.org/atdist.html

Peaks
12-10-2006, 17:39
The Ed Garvey Shelter is just about 6 miles north of Harpers Ferry - with the last couple (walking south) on the C&O Canal. Walking from Pen Mar to Harpers Ferry in 3 days is relatively easy. There are no real tough climbs. If I were you, I'd consider leaving a car in Harpers Ferry, and leaving another one at Pen Mar Park.

Also, the Garvey Shelter is up on the ridge, and there is no parking at the shelter. Not sure about side trails leading to parking lots. I'm sure they exist.

Here's a link for a mileage calculator for you - http://www.ragtag.org/atdist.html

The story I heard is that the State of Maryland prohibits outhouses. So, there is a big holding tank under the privy that needs to be pumped out periodically. That means that there has gotta be a road in there someplace.

Alligator
12-10-2006, 18:08
Terrapin:

could you point me in the direction of some of those books about 2-5 day trips?

Alligator:

"the trail organization respsonbile for that section"...that'd be the PATC for what I'm planning this month...so they'de be able to tell me about the specific shelters on their section, and how to access them?

my main concern is getting to my car from the Ed Garvey shelter, that'll be where we leave the AT and head home from...anyone familiar with it?Yes, they should be able to. Trail maintainers are pretty good about knowing the ins and outs of their respective sections. Now how fast they'll get back to your question is going to depend. A phone call might be faster and easier than an email.

Roland
12-10-2006, 18:11
~~~

That's a nice toy; thanks for posting.

LostInSpace
12-10-2006, 18:49
-Since it's only me and my buddy, I assumed the best way to do the drop off/pick up would be to leave his car at the place we're ending at (Ed Garvey Shelter) and mine where we start, but how do I verify that we'll be able to park where we need to?

Check here (http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/at_menu.aspx) regarding parking for AT access.

LastHonestFool
12-10-2006, 19:41
thanks so much guys! this is everything I needed to know and more

we've decided to park one car in Harper's Ferry and just go down there to grab some coffee and grub before we head home

REALLY appreciate all the helpful and informative posts to the new guy, really makes a guy feel welcome :)

TJ aka Teej
12-10-2006, 19:44
Welcome to WhiteBlaze, LHF! :welcome
Be sure to visit the ATC HQ and the Outfitter's in Harpers Ferry!

MOWGLI
12-10-2006, 19:56
thanks so much guys! this is everything I needed to know and more

we've decided to park one car in Harper's Ferry and just go down there to grab some coffee and grub before we head home

REALLY appreciate all the helpful and informative posts to the new guy, really makes a guy feel welcome :)

Please post a trip report when you get finished. Have a great hike. Don't skip the blue blazed trail to Weverton Cliffs. You'll get nice views of the Potomac. The side trail is about .1 and is right before you drop off of the ridge towards the end of your hike.

MOWGLI
12-10-2006, 20:07

I think you'll like the hike. Knocking out an entire state is always nice.

The real reason for this extra post is to let you know that there is not much in Harpers Ferry, but there is a 7-11 just up the road from the ATC HQ. 7-11 always has pretty good coffee, and something to nibble on.

LastHonestFool
12-10-2006, 20:54
yeah, I've been to Harper's Ferry on a day trip before, it was in the late fall so it was a bit chilly, the 3 of us crashed inside a coffee shop for a bit to warm up and get something to eat

And the ATC HQ is definetly on the to-do list...when we get there

And thanks for the tip for the Weverton cliffs side-trail, we won't miss it!