PDA

View Full Version : Deer Lick Shelters

Papa Bear
06-01-2003, 20:15
A pair of relatively new shelters. The book says they were built in the 1940s, but that was clearly not true

The spring is just 10 yards or so along the trail (north) to the right. The outflow crosses the trail. Don't go looking for the spring on the blue blaze trail.

The space in front of the shelters was rather muddy when I was there in May. Could use better drainage.

EarlyBird2007
09-05-2006, 08:32
Stayed there Sunday night, 9-3-06. Two nice shelters, good tenting area, picnic table & fireplace. I was there by my lonesome after spending the previous two nights in full shelters. It seems odd that there are 3 shelters within about 4 miles (Deer Lick, Antietam & Tumbling Run). I wonder why that is?

SKCM
04-08-2007, 20:20
Just swung through there... Two shelters, good water source while I was there... Just make sure you drink UPSTREAM from the Privy!

Also I was there right after a Boy Scout did his eagle project and built two tening platforms...

wystiria
05-28-2009, 11:30
Stopped for a snack 5/25, SH is good condition. Privy close by. didn't check the water source.

having stayed at the near by SHs I would skip this one.

Del Q
05-28-2009, 20:24
My experience there was a bit different. Early March, 4 or 5 degrees out, insane winds, estimate wind chill at -27 degrees, nasty night, took the (foolish) walk for water. Tough night on the AT Tent in the shelter, everything on, icy trail. Not my favorite week on the AT

Cookerhiker
04-24-2011, 21:01
Spent a night here on my Duncannon-to-Harpers Ferry section hike. Good water close by, shelter kept me dry through a strong rainstorm all night.

One funny thing when I first arrived: some small flying creature was fluttering all around me when I went to draw water. It might have been a bat (in broad daylight) but it also looked like a small owl. I know that sounds weird but it was so fast, I couldn't tell what it was.