PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh Rock. Changed my opinion of the Jetboil

Amigi'sLastStand
12-10-2006, 11:20
I have come 360 with this thing again. I was at Gander mountain and saw the new Jetboil PCS. Many of you know my previous exp with the thing breaking on me, but I decided to give it a look, again.

I have now made my menu in the woods totally based around freezer bag cooking, so hoped that the PCS had been improved as I had heard. Wow, it has been. It seems more durable that before, and I like the new baffles on the bottom. I have to decide if I want to risk the $80 on a new one. The gander guy says the thing wont simmer for shiit, but it heats a full pot of water to boiling in under a min. Gotta see that to believe it.

Anyone have a new ( made this year ) Jetboil? Give us a review if you would, por favor.

neo
12-10-2006, 11:24
I have come 360 with this thing again. I was at Gander mountain and saw the new Jetboil PCS. Many of you know my previous exp with the thing breaking on me, but I decided to give it a look, again.

I have now made my menu in the woods totally based around freezer bag cooking, so hoped that the PCS had been improved as I had heard. Wow, it has been. It seems more durable that before, and I like the new baffles on the bottom. I have to decide if I want to risk the $80 on a new one. The gander guy says the thing wont simmer for shiit, but it heats a full pot of water to boiling in under a min. Gotta see that to believe it.

Anyone have a new ( made this year ) Jetboil? Give us a review if you would, por favor.

:) i love my jet boil,mine has the optional camo cozy,i do the freezer bag cooking in mine to:cool: neo

Just Jeff
12-10-2006, 12:22
Under a minute? Maybe with water from a hot spring.... I'll be impressed if it's under a minute with 40F water.

He's right about the simmer thing, at least with my model. There's so much heat on the bottom that you have to stir constantly. I burned milk even when I was stirring contantly. But I usually just do FBC too, so simmering isn't an issue for me.

Looking forward to hearing about the upgrades on this year's model.

K0OPG
12-10-2006, 13:34
actually amigi, you did a 180...if you go 360 you are looking at the same spot you were previously...180 and you are looking in a new direction.

You don't hike with a compass do you??? Just kidding.

Just Jeff
12-10-2006, 14:46
At first he liked it, then he hated it, now he might like it again. I'd say he's about 270 now....deciding which way to go. (At least his gf said he's still deciding which way to go... :D )

rafe
12-10-2006, 15:00
I like my Jetboil, even if it's a tad heavy. No other canister stove can match it for efficiency, and it is a damned convenient package. You can leave behind the pot cozy, the pot grabber... maybe even your tea mug. Did something change in the Jetboil design between 2005 and 2006?

ric2hunt
12-10-2006, 16:58
I have the PCS and the little jet boil. both work great and have had no problems. To simmer you just turn it down. It has worked in 10degree weather and 80 degrees. Will not leave home without it. Even sent one to my nephew in Iraq, he is a Marine, and he had no problems using his in the sand.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-11-2006, 09:35
Under a minute? Maybe with water from a hot spring.... I'll be impressed if it's under a minute with 40F water.

He's right about the simmer thing, at least with my model. There's so much heat on the bottom that you have to stir constantly. I burned milk even when I was stirring contantly. But I usually just do FBC too, so simmering isn't an issue for me.

Looking forward to hearing about the upgrades on this year's model.
Under a min is what the man said. Like I said, I gotta see that. I leave for Fort Pierce in about an hour, so when I get back, I thing I'm gonna buy it and test it.

And yeah, it's a serious 360 for me. My first one broke and I was none too pleased. I still use my coleman peak 1 or my alchy stove on short stuff, but really wanna ditch it all for an efficient freezer bag setup. I hope this thing doesnt disappoint again.

opqdan
12-21-2006, 13:04
I got one for a gift in November (so it would be the newer model), and I have yet to try it out on the trail, but my kitchen tests show that it is way faster than any other method I have used.

I would never have bought one one my own, prefering alcohol stoves, but now that I have it I can really see the advantages. I wouldn't recommend it over other options yet since I haven't used it in the field, but it seems poised to take over as my favorite cooking method.

I will try to time how long it takes to boil when full and report the results if you would like.

rafe
12-21-2006, 13:09
I will try to time how long it takes to boil when full and report the results if you would like.

Typical boil time will be about 3 minutes for 1 pint of water. Best I've ever done with my Pepsi stove is about 5 minutes... 6.5 minutes if you include the time for priming it.

For best fuel efficiency, it's best to use a moderate flame... somewhere below full throttle. The Jetboil is a nice package; if they could trim the overall weight by another few oz., it would be even better.

Roland
12-21-2006, 17:13
Typical boil time will be about 3 minutes for 1 pint of water. Best I've ever done with my Pepsi stove is about 5 minutes...

Is this significant to you, TT? Is a 2-minute boil time advantage the reason you'd carrying a one pound jetboil, over a 1/2 ounce beer can stove?

rafe
12-21-2006, 17:22
Is this significant to you, TT? Is a 2-minute boil time advantage the reason you'd carrying a one pound jetboil, over a 1/2 ounce beer can stove?

No, not much. But if you do the complete analysis the Jetboil isn't anywhere near as heavy as it seems. It's a complete kitchen, including pot, lid, cup, cozy, and pot handle. The only thing missing is the spoon and windscreen.

The lightest alky stove equivalent will still be around 6 or 7 oz after you add up all those pieces. Now add in the weight of the fuel and fuel bottle. The alky stove only "wins" for very short hikes. If you figure, say, 3 cups of water boiled per day, the Jetboil wins for any resupply interval longer than 4 or 5 days.

Trust me... I'm an engineer and don't want to carry any more weight than I need to. But I've seen JetBoils on the trail, carried by thrus, and they all seemed happy with their choice.

Bottom line is that the super-light weight of the alky stove itself is a bit deceptive. And at the same time, a Jetboil is much more than just a stove.

Roland
12-21-2006, 17:34
You make a good point, TT. Of course the beer can setup will require a pot.

I suppose if one never cooks, and only boils water, the jetboil might be a good choice.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-21-2006, 17:39
I suppose if one never cooks
Freezer bagging isn't cooking?

rafe
12-21-2006, 17:39
Well, the only "cooking" I do on the trail is various kinds of goops of pasta or rice or soups, with chunks of stuff thrown in. Plus a cup of tea before and/or after dinner. I don't "fry" stuff when I'm in distance-hiking mode. It's not a very exciting meal plan, for sure. OTOH, I can't imagine "frying" over an alcohol stove is all that much fun, either.

Roland
12-21-2006, 18:19
I've dabbled a bit with freezer bag cooking. I've tried some of Sarbar's recipes and found some I really like. To me, FBC is a method that's very convenient for short outings. It's nice to prepare meals at home, with bulk dry ingredients (in a zip-lock), that only need rehydrating on the trail.

Some of those advantages may be lost on a thru-hike. Unless you've prepared mail-drops, you likely won't be buying dry food in bulk, and so the cost advantage is lost. And if you must pour your Lipton Sides and your Mac 'N Cheese into a zip-lock to rehydrate, because your stove/pot set-up is not suited for cooking, you've added a layer of inefficiency to the process.

On a six-month hike, there may be times when I'd like to cook a meal in my pot. From the things I've read here, from folks who own them, it doesn't sound like the Jetboil is particularly well suited for that.

rafe
12-21-2006, 18:40
On a six-month hike, there may be times when I'd like to cook a meal in my pot. From the things I've read here, from folks who own them, it doesn't sound like the Jetboil is particularly well suited for that.

Way I see it, there's not a lot of difference between carrying a conventional canister stove and carrying a Jetboil. The former is less "integrated" and a bit lighter. The latter is a tidy package, and is the most energy-efficient of the lot. If I had my druthers the Jetboil pot would be a bit wider, a bit less tall, and hold a bit more volume. But it's really quite well suited to the simple meals that thrus generally cook.

On rainy days when you're away from shelter, a canister stove or Jetboil will give you a hot meal faster and with far less bother than any other kind of stove. In the past, in these conditions, I've generally had to forego the hot meal entirely. Bummer - just when you want it most.

Roland
12-21-2006, 19:00
If I had my druthers the Jetboil pot would be a bit wider, a bit less tall, and hold a bit more volume.

Bingo! With the opening of the pot wide enough so you can get your hand in to clean it. And the wider opening will allow you to store the larger fuel canisters in the pot. And the lower profile will make it much more stable; less prone to tipping and scalding. And make the pot out of anodized aluminum; a material that conducts heat many times better than titanium.

Hmmm....we've just designed a Pocket Rocket and an Antigravity Gear Pot. But it's half the price of the Jetboil. Who will buy it? :rolleyes:

rafe
12-21-2006, 19:12
Bingo! With the opening of the pot wide enough so you can get your hand in to clean it. And the wider opening will allow you to store the larger fuel canisters in the pot. And the lower profile will make it much more stable; less prone to tipping and scalding. And make the pot out of anodized aluminum; a material that conducts heat many times better than titanium.

Hmmm....we've just designed a Pocket Rocket and an Antigravity Gear Pot. But it's half the price of the Jetboil. Who will buy it? :rolleyes:

The heat conduction thing is BS. There's no evidence that water boils faster or slower as a function of the pot material. Quite the contrary. Besides, the Jetboil PCS pot is made of hard anodized aluminum -- check their website. I don't know where you heard otherwise.

Anyway, we can second-guess them all we want. The fact remains that with their very first and primary product, they've made a huge dent in the market and satisfied a lot of thru-hikers in the process. I would expect a follow-on product in the not-too-distant future, if not in time for the class of '07.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-21-2006, 19:21
Ok you two, I didnt want another JB pros and cons thread. We have a dozen already. I just wanted a review of the redesigned model. My first one broke somehow while sitting in my gear closet. It really pissed me off, because I loved the thing.

Plz, stop with efficiency analysis. Not having to clean makes FBC more efficient no matter how you look at it. Oh, and there is nothing I like to eat when hiking that I cant make in a bag... except eggs!

Roland
12-21-2006, 19:37
Besides, the Jetboil PCS pot is made of hard anodized aluminum -- check their website.

They've already stolen our idea!!! :D

rafe
12-21-2006, 19:37
I just wanted a review of the redesigned model.

What redesigned model? The PCS hasn't changed, as far as I can tell. The GCS is just a bigger pot (1.5L), 4 oz heavier, and not as "neat" a package as the original. If you're doing freezer bag cooking, it's of no advantage to you over the original.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-21-2006, 19:41
What redesigned model? The PCS hasn't changed, as far as I can tell. The GCS is just a bigger pot (1.5L), 4 oz heavier, and not as "neat" a package as the original. If you're doing freezer bag cooking, it's of no advantage to you over the original.
Another know it all. Really, no changes have been made? Hmm, that's funny. I could have sworn the tabs are now larger and the heat exchanger was a bit sturdier, the same two pieces that originally broke on me. I must be mistaken. Never argue with an expert.

rafe
12-21-2006, 19:45
Another know it all. Really, no changes have been made? Hmm, that's funny. I could have sworn the tabs are now larger and the heat exchanger was a bit sturdier, the same two pieces that originally broke on me. I must be mistaken. Never argue with an expert.

No mention of any of that on their website. You'd think they'd want to brag about that, no?

BTW, when yours broke, did you ask them to fix or replace it? A young company like JetBoil is usually pretty eager to satisfy. Tell 'em you're a thru-hiker and they usually jump through hoops to please.

Frosty
12-21-2006, 20:53
You make a good point, TT. Of course the beer can setup will require a pot.

I suppose if one never cooks, and only boils water, the jetboil might be a good choice.Why? What can you cook in a pot over an alcohol stove that you can't cook in a Jetboil?
I have both stoves. When you weigh Jetboil kitchen against pepsi-can stove kitchen there is only a difference of a couple ounces. (Kitchen = stove, pot w/lid, pot stand, fuel + fuel container)

The Jetboil works better than alcohol in cold weather, especially 20's and below. It not only heats better, but is far easier to light (press a button) with cold fingers. You ought borrow one for a weekend hike. After actually using it you may change your mind about them, especially this time of year.

But when I'm trying to make my pack light, SGT Rock's Ion Stove goes into my MSR Titan Kettle and I head out to the auto parts store for some HEET.

Roland
12-21-2006, 21:25
Why? What can you cook in a pot over an alcohol stove that you can't cook in a Jetboil?

I suppose when WB members report having difficulty warming milk to make hot chocolate w/o it burning to the bottom of the cup, it gave me the impression I wouldn't be happy cooking with the jetboil system. Hearing that users can't get their hand into the bottom of the cup to clean the mess, is another a turn-off.

I have both stoves. When you weigh Jetboil kitchen against pepsi-can stove kitchen there is only a difference of a couple ounces. (Kitchen = stove, pot w/lid, pot stand, fuel + fuel container)

Which set-up did you carry on your thru-hike?

Farr Away
12-21-2006, 23:28
... Oh, and there is nothing I like to eat when hiking that I cant make in a bag... except eggs!
Actually you can make eggs in FBC. At least according to Sarbar's website. I haven't tried that recipe yet, but it sounds reasonable/doable. Hardest part would probably be packing the eggs in in your pack. From the description in the recipe, you do end up with scrambled eggs, but hopefully not in your pack. :D

Jack Tarlin
12-22-2006, 00:22
The CEO of Jetboil (a great guy by the way) lives near Hanover.

I extensively field-tested the JB when it first came out.

My report back to Dwight made the following observations:

*As a pure water-boiling unit (i.e. to use with Mountain House or similar dinners) it was the best thing I'd ever seen in terms of ease of use, speed,
efficiency.

*Its drawbacks were that it burned so hot, it was easy to burn your stuff if you were actually cooking dinner in the pot. If you're gonna COOK in a JB, you can't turn your back on it, not even for a few minutes. Also, the size of the original pot precluded one from making a large dinner or cooking for two. As I often eat two Liptons, for me it meant cooking dinner twice. And lastly, unless you have fairly small hands it was awkward to scrub/clean out a JB, especially if there was baked-on goop at the bottom of the cup.

I suggested that they come out with another pot that was larger in capacity, shorter, and wider. This would solve all sorts of problems.....you could cook a bigger meal in it, boil more water in it, it'd be easier to clean, less likely to fall over, and less likely to burn at the bottom of ther pot.

Lo and behold, they now have a 1.5 pot available, which is perfect. If you're planning to actually cook in your JB, I'd definitely invest in the bigger pot; if you're just gonna use the stove to boil water you can stick with the original.

sarbar
12-22-2006, 01:31
Actually you can make eggs in FBC. At least according to Sarbar's website. I haven't tried that recipe yet, but it sounds reasonable/doable. Hardest part would probably be packing the eggs in in your pack. From the description in the recipe, you do end up with scrambled eggs, but hopefully not in your pack. :D
Yep, you can always do the classic "omelette in a bag" recipe. Crack thy eggs in a freezer bag, or in a turkey roasting pan, add extras, spices, cheese, etc. Seal well. Squish around. Park in simmering water (ie...just below boiling) and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Periodically pull bag out carefully and squish gently to move any uncooked egg.
It works great, though you'll be sure to get lectures on parking bags in water for that long. This method has been around for a long time!

sarbar
12-22-2006, 01:32
Jeez, I meant "turkey roasting bag". I need to go to bed :(

tha
12-22-2006, 14:18

I bought one a month ago and will be giving it a test drive within a couple of weeks. I'll report back.

Two Speed
12-22-2006, 14:31
I bought one a month ago and will be giving it a test drive within a couple of weeks. I'll report back.We gotta keep this thread alive for a couple of weeks until you can report? Thread swerve's gonna be pretty severe by then.

Footslogger
12-22-2006, 14:35
We gotta keep this thread alive for a couple of weeks until you can report? Thread swerve's gonna be pretty severe by then.
===========================================

Now what in the world would ever make you say a thing like that ??

'Slogger

jrwiesz
12-27-2006, 17:13
I purchased the PCS in 2005 for a canoe/packing trip to Isle Royale Michigan. 5 nights, 6 days, 6 members of the party, 1 Jetboil, 2 heated meals per day = 1.5 canisters of used fuel. Boiled water only and used Mary Janes Farm freeze dried foods almost exclusively. We put our freeze dried foods in our personal covered cozy cups poured in the hot water, stirred, waited the 7-8 minutes, stirred some more, and ate. Loved it, bought the GCS. Most definitely believe I will be using this when I do my thru, still time to decide. But, I do know this; mine has been reliable, convienent, compact, taken to work for a hot lunch, would be fine for tailgating, ... You get the idea. It's a lot more than a thrus' cook system. This might help those with the "cost" difficulties[its' many uses besides hiking]; and if you watch sometimes EMS, and other outfitters have them for $10 less than the $80 MSR price. I'm with terrapin-too! Jetboil. And no, I have no interest, stock, family member board member connected to Jetboil. I just think I will HMOH with the Jetboil. Just to keep this thread going.

SGT Rock
12-27-2006, 17:46
No, not much. But if you do the complete analysis the Jetboil isn't anywhere near as heavy as it seems. It's a complete kitchen, including pot, lid, cup, cozy, and pot handle. The only thing missing is the spoon and windscreen.

The lightest alky stove equivalent will still be around 6 or 7 oz after you add up all those pieces. Now add in the weight of the fuel and fuel bottle. The alky stove only "wins" for very short hikes. If you figure, say, 3 cups of water boiled per day, the Jetboil wins for any resupply interval longer than 4 or 5 days.

Trust me... I'm an engineer and don't want to carry any more weight than I need to. But I've seen JetBoils on the trail, carried by thrus, and they all seemed happy with their choice.

Bottom line is that the super-light weight of the alky stove itself is a bit deceptive. And at the same time, a Jetboil is much more than just a stove.

Not to be too critical, but somehow it depends on how you count the weight. If you only look at starting weight, this could be correct, but if you look at average weight carried over time, the alcohol stoves (and some gas stoves) can still have better stats than the Jet Boil.

Example 1:
Coleman F1Ultralight
Stove 2.7oz
Evernew pot 4.0 ounces
Scripto Lighter 0.6 ounces
Pot Cozy 0.9 ounces
Fuel cannister ~ 8.0 ounces
Total: 16.2 ounces

Example 2:
Compare to the Jetboil with fuel:
Stove 6.0 ounces
Lower burner cup protector 0.9 ounces
Cup and cozy 7.4 ounces
Lid 1.1 ounces
Fuel Canister 6.8 ounces
Total: 22.2 ounces.
(data from http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...itial%20Report/)

The weights are close starting with the Jetboil being almost a half pound heavier. But the average weight over a secion of the two systems will be 14.2 for the F1 and and 18.8 for for the JetBoil.

If you go alcohol...
Example 3:
Ion Stove (sorry for the shameless plug)
Stove: 1.0 ounce
Evernew pot 4.0 ounces
Scripto Lighter 0.6 ounces
Pot Cozy 0.9 ounces
Empty soda bottles: 1.0 ounces
20 ounce bottle of alcohol (@0.8 ounces per fluid ounce): 16 ounces
Total: 23.5 ounces.

So you start with a heavier startng weight (For this example anyway. I rarely carry more than 8 ounces of fuel myself) by a whole 1.3 ounces - I hope that extra weight doesn't kill you. Anyway...

That amount of fuel will boil about 40 meals, but if you used poor fuel economy you come out at about the same amount as the JetBoil at 20 meal from one supply. This would make your average weight for the system 15.5 ounces over the same section you carry your JetBoil. This makes the average weight lower than the JetBoil by about 1/4 pound.

So sure the JetBoil is an all in one system (to cook out of a cup or make hot water) but there is a lighter system that is almost as fuel efficient without all the parts (see BPL article on the F1) and an alcohol stove can be slower, but it's average weight is still lower than the JetBoil, though you can make the START WEIGHT higher. What is more efficient to count? Start weight, or effective average weight?

Mags
12-27-2006, 18:12
The Jetboil works better than alcohol in cold weather, especially 20's and below.

Fuel canisters, as rated by their manufacturers, are only good to ~15F.

In other words, if it is getting to the temp range on a consistent basis that you are talking about, think I'd rather go with something like a Simmerlite.
Strictly speaking on a "fuel by fuel" basis, white gas is the most efficient of all the fuels. The stoves themselves obviously effects the overall efficiency, though.

Fuel canisters (and alcohol as well) are very fuel *innefficient* in cold weather. Cold weather camping is where white gas stoves shine.

The jetboil is a great stove for ease of use, convenience and sheer speed for boiling water. Can be an excellent stove for solo or two person use (if mainly boiling water).

The proprietary system, though, seems to limit its use for larger group use and "real cooking". The weight penalty may or may not be a factor in longer hikes depending upon your needs (at 21 oz for the typical setup). As with all canister stoves, you would have to do more careful resupplying of fuel. And, for true cold weather use, think you will see a marked lack in efficiency of the stove.

If you want a canister stove that is a bit more versatile, lighter and less expensive, if not as convenient or quick to boil water, the SnoPeak, MSR Pocket Rocket et al may be a better solution.

Whatever works for you. I have several different stoves for a reason. :)

superfly-SY
12-28-2006, 14:41
[QUOTE=Mags;292767]Fuel canisters, as rated by their manufacturers, are only good to ~15F.

This may be true but how often does it get much colder than that on atypical thru-hike? not often from my experience.

While doing Aconcagua I saw many climbers as well as large guided groups using fuel canisters with great results. Of course they were not as concerned with saving mere ounces of weight. They worked extremely well even at the higher altitudes (18,000') and very brisk temps (-25F) Just had to keep them out of the wind. (tricky)

Mags
12-28-2006, 17:34
This may be true but how often does it get much colder than that on atypical thru-hike? not often from my experience.

You are correct. But the poster in question was talking about temps in the low 20s and below. NOT a thru-hike.

[quote=superfly-SY;293273]

While doing Aconcagua I saw many climbers as well as large guided groups using fuel canisters with great results. Of course they were not as concerned with saving mere ounces of weight. They worked extremely well even at the higher altitudes (18,000') and very brisk temps (-25F) Just had to keep them out of the wind. (tricky)
[quote=superfly-SY;293273]

Believe it or not, canisters work better at HIGHER altitudes and lower temps due to lower atmospheric pressure. Google it for lots of techno gobbley gook I can barely understand. :) But that's the gist of it.

Most people probably are not going to climb to 18k feet (I'm a wimp myself) and use the stoves at that altitude. I also have a feeling that a guide service wants something easy for all their clients. Nothing can beat a canister stove for ease of use and convenience. It is why I take one on "social backpacks" from time to time.

Having said that, white gas is still far superior in cold temps. I don't want to futz with a stove and windy conditions when I have to boil lots of water in cold temps. The climbers probably had to warm them up in their jacket before using them I bet. I also suspect there is a good reason why my uber-burley climber friends (including two 8000m peak climbers) do not use canisters on their climbs. :)

brancher
01-01-2007, 12:18
Ok you two, I didnt want another JB pros and cons thread. We have a dozen already. I just wanted a review of the redesigned model. My first one broke somehow while sitting in my gear closet. It really pissed me off, because I loved the thing.

Plz, stop with efficiency analysis. Not having to clean makes FBC more efficient no matter how you look at it. Oh, and there is nothing I like to eat when hiking that I cant make in a bag... except eggs!

Okay, here goes.....

I have a Jetboil PCS. I also have a Pocket Rocket, Mini-Trangia, and my wife just bought me a Vargo XE (or something) titanium alcohol/solid fuel stove for Christmas. My first good stove was a Coleman Extreme.

JB: I love it except for the weight. Inre: analysis, then the JB is only a few ounces more than the alcohol kitchens, and the fuel canisters last longer than a botle of alcohol. Still, it would be nice if it weighed a little less. I also have the pot support and I take an extra .9L pot with me, along with my windscreen, and use 'em both. So, to dispel you pepsi-can elves, I can:
1. Sit in 8 inches of snow, in wind, on a ridge, and have a boiling cup of tea in 2 minutes (did this at Smokemont awhile back). No muss, no fuss. Just efficient heat.
2. Make multi-course dinners, including soup (with the pot support and extra pot), Tea (with integrated mug), and boiling water for a dehydrated meal. BTW, my .9L extra pot fits snugly over the entire JB. So I wrap the windscreen around the JB, put hte pot over it, and stick in into my kitchen sack. Total weight is about 28-29 oz, including fuel and all cookware
3. I have never had any problem with the igniter though I've read on this forum that some have. But not me.
4. On section hikes, while the other shelter rats are seeing who has the sexiest beer-can stove, I'm cooking. And eating. And not looking for matches, or scientifically pouring fuel, or anything like that. It's the one luxury item I have (well, besides my Prolite).
5. We're talking a matter of ounces as far as weight comparison. But heck, with my tarptent, quilt, UL pack, and other efficiencies, I can afford the extra 7-8 oz.

Mini Trangia: I love it also, because of my ability to shut down the fuel and use the stove to store fuel. But it takes a LOT longer to cook (and that can be a very important piece). What I don't love is the cookware system. It is limiting, and my preference for alcohol is to have a Trangia stove (like a Westwind) coupled with a Giga Power Mini Solo outfit. That's the most flexible arrangement of the Trangia. One of these days....

Pocket Rocket: Appears to do anything the JB will do, but with less space and more flexibili6ty (like with the Giga Mini Solo setup). I just picked this stove up for my son, so I cannot say fo sure, but seems fine. I'll know more next month. It does appear to be a little top-heavy, though. Any experience with these things tipping over?

Vargo. This is a flexible platform, so you can use either alcohol or solid fuel (so I can stop taking my spare esbit stove now), and it's titanium - weighs like, 1.5 oz. or something. Stick this in the Giga Mini Solo with a windscreen and you're set for under 16 oz total, including cookware and mug! The legs fold out to minimize space, and seem just a tad fragile, so I'll take this on my section this spring and let you guys know if it holds up or not.

A word about speed: On the trail, after a day of walking, sometimes you just don't care that much about cooking speed. And, the time you save using hte JB may not be significant at a shelter or in camp - I mean, what's a few minutes here or there? But, MSR and others are scrambling to duplicate the JB system, and that says something.

I have discovered Titanium and I like it. And I love my JB. But I am thinking, in the interest of weight savings and speed and flexibility, maybe the Pocket Rocket with the Giga Mini Solo is a pretty competitive setup.

The biggest advantage of the JB imo? The ability to whip up a hot meal anytime, anywhere, with little or no work. I had hot noodles for lunch last time out, in cool, windy conditions. I probably wouldn't be doing that with alcohol-too much hassle. The biggest disadvantage? probably weight and lack of flexibility.

There, you have it. that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.:sun

rafe
01-01-2007, 12:34
The biggest advantage of the JB imo? The ability to whip up a hot meal anytime, anywhere, with little or no work. I had hot noodles for lunch last time out, in cool, windy conditions. I probably wouldn't be doing that with alcohol-too much hassle.

Funny. That's my biggest worry -- using the stove more often, taking more breaks for hot food or tea, and thereby consuming more fuel and time -- when before, I'd have been content with a quick, cold snack. :-?

brancher
01-04-2007, 14:40
Funny. That's my biggest worry -- using the stove more often, taking more breaks for hot food or tea, and thereby consuming more fuel and time -- when before, I'd have been content with a quick, cold snack. :-?

Me, too, generally... I fixed a hot lunch that day as much to see how much hassle it was as to eat.

....but I do like my Earl Grey in the later afternoon, after a day's walk. You just can't substitute for the Earl....;)

the_iceman
01-07-2007, 12:48
The one complaint I have had about the Jetboil PCS was the shape of the cup/pot. It is a tad too tall and narrow. It looks like other people have the same problem. I have been looking at the pot and stabilizer + ring since my daughter will be joining me for sections.

I went to the Jetboil website to try and calculate the added weight and here is what I found. If you bought the 2 complete systems there is a 4 oz difference. The slippery thing is when you look at the pot alone. It has a min. and max. weight. I assume you strip of the lid, base, and cozy, etc to get to the min. weight but all that is included in the GCS system. If you add the pot and take away the cup (both with their respective covers, cozies, etc.) you should get a 4 oz delta right? WRONG!

GCS 19 oz - (540 g)
PCS 15 oz - (425 g)
Delta => 19-15 = 4 oz.

Pot alone - Weight 7.5 oz (213 g) min, 12 oz (369 g) max
Pot Support: 1.2 oz (35 g)
Stabilizer 0.9 oz (27 g)

Cup alone - Weight: 8.7 oz (250 g)

Total minimum pot weight plus support = 9.6 oz -- Delta Pot – Cup (8.7) = 0.9 oz

Total maximum pot weight plus support = 14.1 oz -- Delta Pot – Cup (8.7) = 5.4 oz

Sly
01-07-2007, 13:08
PCS 15 oz - (425 g)

15 oz? How are you going to run it?

21.9 ozs or 623 grams for the PCS with a full fuel canister... add .8 oz or 23 g for the java screen and plunger. 6.9 oz or 192 g for a full fuel canister

the_iceman
01-11-2007, 19:03
Sly -

Either stove will need a canister. What I was trying to find was the net difference between the 2 systems. since the both have the canister in common and Jetboil sells that as a separate item it was pointless to count it into the formula.

nitewalker
01-13-2007, 10:12
i have a jet boil stove and i like it very much but i think it does weigh a little much. i now have the 3.5oz pocket rocket with titanium pot and a small drinking cup and plastic bowl. cup, bowl and stove equals 6ozs...add canister weight if u like.......i love the pocket rocket stove, havent used the jetboil on a trek in some time now......

rafe
01-13-2007, 10:24
Re: Msg #45, etc. The JetBoil is really just an integrated canister stove plus kitchen. A non-integrated equivalent will be lighter, by 3 or 4 oz at least. OTOH, the JetBoil is the most efficient canister stove of all and most folks would call it convenient and ergonomic. So that's the choice I see: the slight extra weight, against efficency/convenience/ergonomics.

neo
01-13-2007, 11:46
Re: Msg #45, etc. The JetBoil is really just an integrated canister stove plus kitchen. A non-integrated equivalent will be lighter, by 3 or 4 oz at least. OTOH, the JetBoil is the most efficient canister stove of all and most folks would call it convenient and ergonomic. So that's the choice I see: the slight extra weight, against efficency/convenience/ergonomics.

:) i love jetboil,it rules,mine has a camo cozy,i prefer snowpeak fuel canisters.:cool: neo