PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Rocket

jwang
12-10-2006, 22:51
First I wanted to say hello! I`m new to whiteblaze and I`ll be joining the 2007 class of thru hikers. I was wondering if anyone had any input on the msr pocket rocket. Obviously the size and weight is attractive but will it get the job done? Also, can the fuel canisters even be shipped in the mail. If they can, will they last long enough that I wont have to carry more then 2 at a time?

Blissful
12-10-2006, 23:20
We love our pocket rocket - cooks quick and I like the adjustable flame.
As for canisters, I know you will be able to pick them up at outfitters along the way. Also, using a pot cozy can cut down on how much fuel you use.

jmaclennan
12-10-2006, 23:26
let me be the first to say :welcome to whiteblaze.

i have a pocket rocket and it's great. no priming/pumping b.s.; adjustable flame; it's light; easy to use. downside is the non-refillable cannister (is it recyclable? i don't know). i've seen many others take it the entire way on a thru-hike with much success. i don't think you can mail cannisters, but you won't need to. you can get them all along the trail (often half-full ones in hiker boxes!). only carry one cannister anyway; they last pretty long. depending on how much you cook, a couple of weeks probably. of course, the jetboil is another popular stove, but costs about twice as much. happy trails!

rafe
12-10-2006, 23:35
The canisters can be shipped, but by surface mail only. There's a FAQ somewhere here on the WhiteBlaze site about all that.

Johnny Swank
12-10-2006, 23:37
I've got one, but tend to use my alcohol stove more for whatever reason. The stove itself works great, but most of the time all I'm doing is boiling a couple of cups of water. I'd sell you mine for $20 + shipping if you want it.

Chaco Taco
12-10-2006, 23:48
The pocket rocket is very practical. Lightweight and packs small. The ONLY complaint I have ever had is that when you have a pot on top, it will slide off if not properly placed. Also, get a 22oz beer can and cut it to make a windshield.:sun

I just joined also and love this site. You can get info about anything to do with backpacking. Have fun planning your TH. I am still considering my TH.

maxNcathy
12-11-2006, 09:53
I have a PRocket and really like it except i wish they had 4 prongs on top not just 3.
I think MSR makes a stove like the PR with 4 prongs.Fuel lasts about 60 minutes wide open.
Sandalwood./ Max

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 12:29
Love my rocket! I only cook supper and a typical cannister lasts me 14 days. People get paranoid and throw 1/2 full cannisters in the hiker boxes. On my 2002 thru, I only bought 2 cannisters the whole way. I got the rest from hiker boxes.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2006, 12:32
Love my rocket! I only cook supper and a typical cannister lasts me 14 days. People get paranoid and throw 1/2 full cannisters in the hiker boxes. On my 2002 thru, I only bought 2 cannisters the whole way. I got the rest from hiker boxes.

I cannister lasted 8 days for Gypsy and I. Boiled water in the morning and cooked at night. Damn good stove.

Footslogger
12-11-2006, 12:40
First I wanted to say hello! I`m new to whiteblaze and I`ll be joining the 2007 class of thru hikers. I was wondering if anyone had any input on the msr pocket rocket. Obviously the size and weight is attractive but will it get the job done? Also, can the fuel canisters even be shipped in the mail. If they can, will they last long enough that I wont have to carry more then 2 at a time?
=======================================

PocetRocket is a great little stove. Have 2 of them but don't use them much any more since cutting over to alcohol.

Yes ...you can ship the cannisters (and I have many times WITH US Post Office knowledge and approval) but the box containing the fuel must be marked ORM-D clearly on the outside and the package gets shipped via GROUND

'Slogger

Grinder
12-11-2006, 13:05
a story about cannister stoves.

Two years ago, 700 miles into Baja California , a motorcyclist came up to our camp holding an empty cannister. "Do you know where I could get a refill?" He asked.

HA!! Throw away cameras and film were rare. Butane cannisters were nonexistent.

Alcohol, on the other hand, was readily available.

The choice, for me, is clear

Tom

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 13:29
I used an alcohol stove for 600 miles---will never use it again.

rafe
12-11-2006, 14:14
I used an alcohol stove for 600 miles---will never use it again.

Geek, care to explain why? Seriously. I'm a tad bit nervious about going with an alcohol stove, m'self. Been rather fond of Whisperlites these last umpteen years. But wanting to lighten up...

Jaybird
12-11-2006, 14:22
First I wanted to say hello! I`m new to whiteblaze and I`ll be joining the 2007 class of thru hikers. I was wondering if anyone had any input on the msr pocket rocket..........

WELCOME!

i've used a POCKET ROCKET for 3 years now...& LOVE IT!
its gonna be how much cooking u do while on the trail...but, on a standard size cannister i got 10 days worth of use out of it....you should be able to hit a town for re-supply before then...no probs.

Good luck with your hike....say HELLO when you pass me & "Jigsaw" by in Virginia!:D

Red Hat
12-11-2006, 14:33
The most used stove on the AT is the alcohol stove (cat can type). But I won't leave home without my pocket rocket! Alcohol scares me, I have seen several accidents.

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 14:34
once you add the weight of fuel into the equation you aren't saving much if any weight.
if you use enough flame to boil fairly quickly, you can't simmer.
if you use low enough flame to simmer, it takes forever.
if it is cold, it is usually difficult to light.
the slightest spill can cause tables, benches, shelter floors etc. to ignite. you will seee evidence of these mishaps on the trail.

they will certainly work for survival situations but a thru hike is not a survival situation. why put up with all of the hassles when you can simply turn a valve, boil, simmer, shut it off and put it away that quickly all for the same weight?

rafe
12-11-2006, 14:49
What's the canister resupply-situation like, say in the mid-Atlantic part of the A.T.? I'm figuring a 4 oz. canister should hold me for 10 days. I'll be hiking from eastern PA down to south-central VA.

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 14:50
terrapin too,
you can get them everywhere.

maxNcathy
12-11-2006, 20:54
The MSR Superfly is like the Pocket Rocket but has 4 prongs on top and a wider burner.