PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Stove people...

Boat Drinks
12-10-2006, 23:11
I just got an Etowah Outfitters alcohol stove, but without directions. I comes with a large burner with pencil sized holes in the side, then a smaller container that goes inside with a lid with tiny holes poked all round the top, inside that it has a cloth pad of some sort, I assume to soak up the fuel. I tried to burn it with the lid on the smaller container but it snuffs it out.

How do I use this thing? Is it good for a back-up stove to the Pocket Rocket, and whats the best kind of fuel for this? Sorry, I know these are elementary questions, but I also know y'all love your alcohol stoves!:D

http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear.com/Alcoholstoves.html
This is the link to the web page with the stove.

rafe
12-10-2006, 23:33
Most alcohol stoves (the ones with jets, anyway) need about 60-90 seconds to warm up before they're burning properly. After you ignite the alcohol in the center chamber, it'll give a lazy blue flame until the flame starts popping out of the jets. Once all the jets are lit, you can put a pot down on the stove.

If you're used to white gas or canister stoves, it's going to be a serious adjustment. It'll take about 5 minutes (after priming) to boil a pint of water, using 1 liquid oz. of alcohol. You'll get another 1-3 minutes of burn before the alcohol is consumed.

Anyway, I'm seriously new to alcohol stoves m'self, and have never used the model you're describing. I've been trying to master the classic "pepsi can" stove, with mixed success.

houthuse
12-11-2006, 01:39
Hi! I have this stove, and you can use it two ways (or at least I have used it two ways). I usually pour as much alcohol as I need for what I am cooking into the small burner with the wick in it, close that up, and then put it in the larger burner with the holes, put a cap-full or so of alcohol in the larger burner to "prime" it, put the potholder cross pieces on, then light the primer alcohol with a match through the hole in the side. That alcohol heats up the stuff inside the smaller burner, and that starts burning quickly. The easiest way, if say you just need to boil water, is to just put what alcohol you need in the larger cup, light that and let that heat your pot by itself. I personally prefer the smaller burner, but it depends on what you need to do. Hope this helps!

Hana_Hanger
12-11-2006, 03:18
Ditto to what houthuse said...You must prime it...I usually only put a teaspoons worth of denatured alcohol on the bottom of the wind protector the larger container with the holes and 2 oz of fuel will burn about 14 minutes...if you need that much. BUT you must let it burn a few seconds to get the smaller burner to light BEFORE putting on any cup or pan.

One ounce is great for just heating water to cook with. I love mine and use it as a back up for the Pocket Rocket as well.

Boat Drinks
12-11-2006, 17:39
So the small one with the wick material in it is for simmering? And it will light with the lid on if primed by the large container. Did I get this right?

Footslogger
12-11-2006, 17:55
Wish I could help you ...but I'm in the Trangia camp.

'Slogger

Skidsteer
12-11-2006, 18:46
So the small one with the wick material in it is for simmering? And it will light with the lid on if primed by the large container. Did I get this right?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/etowah_2_alcohol_stove_review.html

http://www.thebackpacker.com/gear/stoves/etowah_outfitters_etowah_alcohol_stove.php

http://art.simon.tripod.com/Stoves/

I don't own one but I've seen one used. It boiled water.

Boat Drinks
12-11-2006, 18:50
Thanks for the links, the first one required a subscription though..... :-(

rafe
12-11-2006, 19:03
Thanks for the links, the first one required a subscription though..... :-(

Ah, go for it. You know it's going to nag at you 'till you do. ;)

BigFoot2002
12-11-2006, 20:49
Coaralrives,

I've used 2 of these stoves for over 2,500 miles of AT hiking, and found the Etowah an excellent stove. It will burn denatured alcohol, both kinds of dry gas, and as a last choice 90% rubbing alcohol (although it uses more and soots up your pot a bit) In other words, you can resupply at most outfitters, hostels, or convenience, department, auto parts, or drug stores.

As others have advised, pour as much alcohol as you need (you will get the hang of it after a little practice) in the small can, cap it, and pour more into the outer can. Once you get the hang of it, you can get the amounts just right to bring your food to a boil, then simmer, then go out just before its done. After a liitle practice you won't need the little measuring bottle.

A wind screen is essential. You can make 4 of them from a foil oven liner. A plastic soft drink bottle is my usual fuel bottle. Remember to label it.

I've used this stove well below freezing, down to single digits. On nights such as these it also makes a handy fire starter. Omit the pot rest, build a small wood teepee around it, and pull it out with a stick once the fire gets going. With just an ounce or two of fuel, you'll have plenty of heat to warm you, your dinner, hot drinks, and that wonderful Nalgene full of hot water as a nightime companion.

There is only on thing I will caution you about - you cannot see alcohol burn in full daylight. And don't forget to put the pot rest on before you light it. Believe me, it's a lot more tricky that way.

Hope you enjoy.

BigFoot

rik_uk3
12-11-2006, 21:52
Wish I could help you ...but I'm in the Trangia camp.

'Slogger

Love Trangia's, like they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The Trangia burner unit with a simmer ring will give you upwards of 50 minutes cooking time, home made and smaller alcohol burners are OK for making a quick brew or a pan of noodles, with a Trangia, you can cook a proper meal:)

Boat Drinks
12-12-2006, 00:07
Coaralrives,

A wind screen is essential. You can make 4 of them from a foil oven liner. A plastic soft drink bottle is my usual fuel bottle. Remember to label it.

So the wind screen is additional to the large stove with holes poked in it. Hmm. Got any diagrams?

Skidsteer
12-12-2006, 00:20
So the wind screen is additional to the large stove with holes poked in it. Hmm. Got any diagrams?

There's lots of different ways to build a windscreen:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12895&catid=favorites

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12896&catid=favorites

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5831&catid=searchresults&searchid=5908

http://www.ionstove.com/windscreen.htm

rafe
12-12-2006, 00:54
Coaralrives,

I've used 2 of these stoves for over 2,500 miles of AT hiking, and found the Etowah an excellent stove. It will burn denatured alcohol, both kinds of dry gas, and ...

Dry gas? Really? I've never heard of an "alcohol stove" that could burn dry gas. Does it do so with a cleanly? I mean, with a hot blue flame? That would be truly impressive.

BigFoot2002
12-12-2006, 06:55
Dry gas? Really? I've never heard of an "alcohol stove" that could burn dry gas. Does it do so with a cleanly? I mean, with a hot blue flame? That would be truly impressive.

Dry gas is alcohol. I usually used the Methanol HEET in the yellow bottle, after being told by others it works better, but the red Isopropyl HEET worked just fine too.

Saw someone try to use STP Gas Treatment once. It didn't work at all.

BigFoot2002
12-12-2006, 08:09

Sorry, no diagrams or pictures. But the instructions are simple.

Get a foil oven liner. Comes in a package of 2 at Wal-Mart. You can make at least 4 windscreens.

Cut out a strip the height and length you want. I like mine to go up most of the height of my pot, and long enough to leave about a quarter inch around space around the outside of the pot. Then I leave the handles of my Snow Peak 1400 sticking out the gap. Keeps them cool. A bandanna is my pot holder.

Fold the thing flat when you are done. To restore the round shape, unfold and pull it over the edge of a picnic table or around your hiking pole.

rafe
12-12-2006, 08:30
Dry gas is alcohol

Oops, sorry. I was thinking "white gas."

Boat Drinks
12-12-2006, 10:07
Thank you for your responses. Chef Paul from Etowah noticed this thread and my quandary and will be sending me a windscreen and directions gratis! :D

I love this place!!!!:sun

hopefulhiker
12-12-2006, 11:30
Another tip for using alcohol stoves is to use a shampoo bottle as a fuel bottle with the toggle top. This minimizes the risk of spills and burns, also leakage. I carried the bottle inside a zip lock. I saw a few accidents with spilt fuel on the trail. I really appreciated the light weight of the alcohol stove.

n2k
12-12-2006, 11:51
Watching a hiker emptying her alcohol soaked belongings out of her pack put off these stoves for life

Footslogger
12-12-2006, 12:15
Watching a hiker emptying her alcohol soaked belongings out of her pack put off these stoves for life
=================================

That's too bad. Sounds like it might have been a case of carelessness ??Most hikers I know who carry/use alcohol as fuel put it on the outside of their pack in a leakproof container. Been using denatured alcohol now for over 6 years and have NEVER experienced any leakage on clothing or gear.

'Slogger

Ender
12-12-2006, 14:44
I usually used the Methanol HEET in the yellow bottle, after being told by others it works better, but the red Isopropyl HEET worked just fine too.

Just FYI, I've seen a Pepsi-can alcohol stove melt when using red bottle HEET. It burns hotter, and some materials can't handle that. I've heard of others using it with little problems though.

dla
12-12-2006, 16:31

Just as people watch Opra and listen to Rosie on the "view", so there are people who can't see the inherent advantages of an alcohol stove.

What you problably don't remember is that after she dumped it out, her pack dried quickly, nothing was damaged, and there was no lingering, overpowering smell. Had this been a white gas accident, her clothese would have been unusable for a day, her sleeping bag would've been totaled, and she would've donated everything to Goodwill to be free of the smell.

Ramble~On
12-12-2006, 17:36
I have one of these and did some comparisons between it and a whisperlite.
I'll take the Etowah anyday.
My only gripe is that sometimes the lid takes a while to get off.

I've never had a drop of stove alcohol spill in my pack.
I really like the pot stand design.

Ramble~On
12-12-2006, 17:43
Coaralrives,

it also makes a handy fire starter. Omit the pot rest, build a small wood teepee around it, and pull it out with a stick once the fire gets going. With just an ounce or two of fuel, you'll have plenty of heat to warm you, your dinner, hot drinks, and that wonderful Nalgene full of hot water as a nightime companion.

BigFoot

Just a thought but I if you take a anything and dip it into the alcohol and them wad it up....it functions as a wick and you wouldn't need to put the stove in a fire or have to get it out when one gets started.
Also a leaf...formed into the shape of a cone....placed into a smal hole in the ground and filled with alcohol is a great way to start a fire when conditions or whatever make starting a fire the "old fashioned way" isn't practical.

Peaks
12-12-2006, 20:00

Good reason to always carry fuel in an exterior pocket, and always use a durable container, not something like a soda bottle that is prone to breaking at the wrong time.