PDA

View Full Version : Easiest 1 week hike on entire AT ??

cubscoutdad
12-10-2006, 23:22
I am new to the AT but not to hiking. I have two sons boy scout
age who want to start hiikng the AT, ultimately doing it all, but in
sections, as vacation schedule allows. I would like to know what sections
are the easiest for new hikers. I have heard the section through
Shennandoah Nat. Park is one of easiest for beginners, and would like to
query the membership as to where to start with a one week hike. Unfortunately this will be last weekend of June, 1st week of July, 07. We will be in Ashville area to pick up one son from scout camp, but can start anywhere. Of course I would like to avoid crowds, but probably not realistic this time of year. Budget not much of a concern but time and difficulty level are big considerations. Any suggestions welcome. We live in Florida so we will be traveling to the start point regardless. Thanks to all.
will wright

strnorm
12-11-2006, 00:33
If you are in ashville, you can start at sams gap thru erwin and roan mt. may not be the easiest part of the AT. but it is beautiful that time of year.good luck:sun

strnorm
12-11-2006, 00:35
by the way welcome:welcome how old are your sons?

Sly
12-11-2006, 01:19
If you don't want to drive very far from Asheville and want a little easier hike than the above, south from Sam's Gap to Hot Springs.

Flying Monkey
12-11-2006, 06:54
Shenandoah NP is fairly easy, and a great beginning hike. It offers some great views and moderately interesting geography, as well as having several places to get off the trail and buy a cheeseburger. I ran into a boy scout troop there last winter on their fourth weekend "training hike", and they were puting down 10-12 mile days with rest-breaks every half-hour. Close campsites and easy road access make the trail tremendously popular as well, so reserving campsites ahead of time might not be a bad idea.
Remember to obtain a backpacking permit at a ranger station. They're free, but VERY required. I was stopped three times by rangers in my week there. It will be very crowded, but there will be others your childrens' ages.
Happy Hiking!

MOWGLI
12-11-2006, 07:16
Shenandoah NP has my vote for easiest 1 week hike. Not only is the terrain favorable, but the landscape is beautiful and food is plentiful at campstores along the way.

jlb2012
12-11-2006, 08:36
note SNP - some facilities are not open until the end of May especially in the south district

DavidNH
12-11-2006, 09:52
It doesn't get any easier than Shenandoha National Park. Also it is really nice there and the camp sites are very well designed!

David

SalParadise
12-11-2006, 11:10
just so many people in SNP, though. But yeah, definitely an easy section. Plus the kids would like the waysides to fill up on ice cream and hot dogs before heading out again.

Another easy section, granted much farther north, is Pennsylvania from the southern border until Duncannon. (Past Duncannon it gets rocky). A few bigger climbs than SNP offers, but also longer flat sections. You'd also have a little bit more of a wilderness experience without the sound of cars and the sight of a road for the trip.

Definitely Southern PA and SNP are the easiest sections on the AT, albeit not the prettiest. If they could handle a little climbing, definitely Sams Gap to Hot Springs has the best views of the areas suggested.

Heck, maybe a good Christmas present is an AT topo map set. Maybe you and your sons could sit down together, check out the elevation profiles and decide on a section that way.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2006, 11:14
Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs is fairly easy. 98 miles.

Flying Monkey
12-11-2006, 11:14
If you do hike SNP, and want whatever solitude you can find, saty with the northern region. WHile it's a further drive, the northern section crosses the skyline drive many less times (if my memory serves) than the southern section. The southern section (I think starting at "big field") is much more popular, and therefore more crowded.

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 12:08
Although Roan Mt. is a bit of a climb, Erwin to Laurel Creek Falls would be very pretty and not overly difficult. A big plus is that you can start at Miss Janets and finish at Bob Peoples. This would give you safe secure parking at either end and the ability to hire shuttles.

booney_1
12-11-2006, 12:21
I took a small group of scouts from Sams Gap to Hot Springs last summer.
There was hardly anybody out at all. We did the hike in 6 days (5 nights).
There are a few tough climbs, but there was ample water (except Jerrys Cabin). The views are great, its great to hike into hot springs on the last day.
You can leave your car in hot springs and for 50 bucks somebody from the outfitters place will shuttle you to sams gap.

Bryforce
04-09-2007, 21:40
I would like to know what sections
are the easiest for new hikers.

Ok I am in a similar situation b/c i am hiking with my retired dad,his retired friend, and my out of shape brother (I'm out of shape too but not as bad). I have AT experience hiking from Amacolola (sp?) falls GA to the beginning of the smokey mountians. I new I could not just section hike from that point forward so i bought maps further north. I have chosen about a 75 mile stretch from the apple house shelter near the border of Tennessee and North Carolina (close to Elk Park) hiking north to Damascus. According to my Map it is one of the most level hiking areas i could find. And it looks like most of the hike is along the top of a set of mountains so I am hoping for some good views. I hope this helps..

Anyway my problem is I need a place to stay. I am flying from MI to pick up my dad in FL and he an I and his friend are picking up my brother in GA the same day. We then are driving (same day) to the end point, dropping off a car, and the driving back near beginning point to a hotel/motel to sleep for the night and leave in the morning. Problem is I can't find a place for the four of us close to the starting point with transportation... Let me know if anyone can help.

kevin
04-09-2007, 23:15
Bryforce,

Others can probably give you some advice from personal experience, but I've just been planning a section through that area coming up in a few weeks. You might want to take a look at Mountain Harbor B&B (http://www.mountainharbour.net/main.htm). As far as I know they are real close to the place you are looking at started and look to be pretty hiker friendly. Hope that helps.

Kevin

Skyline
04-09-2007, 23:26
Shenandoah NP is fairly easy, and a great beginning hike. It offers some great views and moderately interesting geography, as well as having several places to get off the trail and buy a cheeseburger. I ran into a boy scout troop there last winter on their fourth weekend "training hike", and they were puting down 10-12 mile days with rest-breaks every half-hour. Close campsites and easy road access make the trail tremendously popular as well, so reserving campsites ahead of time might not be a bad idea.
Remember to obtain a backpacking permit at a ranger station. They're free, but VERY required. I was stopped three times by rangers in my week there. It will be very crowded, but there will be others your childrens' ages.
Happy Hiking!

You can camp most places in the backcountry in SNP. When you get your backcountry permit, you can look for info about where you CANNOT camp (much less of that than you'd think.) However, you don't reserve backcountry campsites in SNP (tho you must list your anticipated campsites on your backcountry permit).

You might consider some combination of side trails and the AT to create loops instead of a linear hike on the AT. You will avoid some crowds that way depending upon the circuits you choose, and can have a good shot at genuine solitude at camp.

freefall
04-09-2007, 23:29
If you don't want to drive very far from Asheville and want a little easier hike than the above, south from Sam's Gap to Hot Springs.
I agree that this section would be easy southbound and easy/quick access from the Asheville area.

SNP is still gotta be one the easiest sections though. It's practically a walk in the park.:D

MacGyver2005
04-10-2007, 06:48
Bryforce,

Others can probably give you some advice from personal experience, but I've just been planning a section through that area coming up in a few weeks. You might want to take a look at Mountain Harbor B&B (http://www.mountainharbour.net/main.htm) (http://www.mountainharbour.net/main.htm%29). As far as I know they are real close to the place you are looking at started and look to be pretty hiker friendly. Hope that helps.

Kevin

That place was amazing when we stayed there in '05. They have a bunk house, which is very nice, but it was full. I think it was $15 to stay the night there. The wonderful lady that runs the place let us stay in the house for the bunkhouse price since it was full, without us asking. We would have gladly paid her full price, but she would not have it. We had dinner and breakfast there; I believe dinner was $5 and breakfast was $3; dinner was two huge BBQ sandwiches and a pile of fries, and breakfast was biscuits, gravy, toast, eggs, sausage, etc. It's only a little ways off of the trail, too. Definitely stop there if you get the chance.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Cookerhiker
04-10-2007, 08:35
I realize it's a longer drive for you but no one mentioned the 94 miles from Wind Gap, PA to Greenwood Lake, NY (Rt 17A). Fairly easy, uphills are gradual except for the fairly short ones at Pinwheel Vista & Pochuck Mountain. Upside: Delaware Water Gap, Sunfish Pond, some views along the Kittatinny Ridge, High Point, Walkill NWR with its boardwalk. Downside: Camping in NJ might be problematic - I believe you're restricted to shelters & designated campsites - and the timeframe you want features hot humid weather & mosquitoes. If you hike it SOBO, you could end at DWG and canoe or float for a nice ending change-of-pace.

Bryforce
05-18-2007, 17:03
That place was amazing when we stayed there in '05. They have a bunk house, which is very nice, but it was full. I think it was $15 to stay the night there. The wonderful lady that runs the place let us stay in the house for the bunkhouse price since it was full, without us asking. We would have gladly paid her full price, but she would not have it. We had dinner and breakfast there; I believe dinner was $5 and breakfast was $3; dinner was two huge BBQ sandwiches and a pile of fries, and breakfast was biscuits, gravy, toast, eggs, sausage, etc. It's only a little ways off of the trail, too. Definitely stop there if you get the chance.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Funny thing is that is the first place we stay before we begin our hike. I am excite. Not far now.