PDA

View Full Version : woman's sleeping bag for men?

1azarus
12-11-2006, 10:44
soooo... i'm 5'6" tall and just couldn't resist buying a mountain hardware phantom 15 woman's bag on sale at EMS -- it hasn't arrived yet, so i don't really know how it will fit!!! bought the woman's bag instead of the long men's bag, and those were my only two choices. it does seem, after the fact, that for a man up to 5'6" tall with not too big feet a woman's bag might be the best choice? especially if you're looking for the most down fill for the length and weight. yes, i know, asking for advice after you buy something is sort of stupid... just wondered if other "short" men have thought of or tried a woman's bag.

Flying Monkey
12-11-2006, 10:59
Not a bag, but in the summer I sleep on a Woman's expedition Thermarest pad. It's 5'6", so I just outfit it, but I put my head on something else (dromedary, rolled up clothes, pack...). It works quite well. It's shorter that the men's version, so it would weigh less, but it has some extra padding for warmth at the feet and hips, which is great. Never weighed them, but I assume they're close in weight, if the woman's isn't lighter.

I Have a "short" version of one of my bags, at 5' 6", and though it's a little short, i just curl a little bit, and I'm not wasting any space inside. Fits great.

Touch of Grey
12-11-2006, 12:17
soooo... i'm 5'6" tall and just couldn't resist buying a mountain hardware phantom 15 woman's bag on sale at EMS -- it hasn't arrived yet, so i don't really know how it will fit!!! bought the woman's bag instead of the long men's bag, and those were my only two choices. it does seem, after the fact, that for a man up to 5'6" tall with not too big feet a woman's bag might be the best choice? especially if you're looking for the most down fill for the length and weight. yes, i know, asking for advice after you buy something is sort of stupid... just wondered if other "short" men have thought of or tried a woman's bag.

It'll be interesting to hear what you have to say on this subject when you get it and try it out. If you read the literature from most manufactures, womens bags are made a little differently than a mans bag is. Womens are typically wider at the hips where mens are wider at the shoulders. Womens bags also have according to some more insulation in the trunk of the body region and/or in the footbox area.

I personally could not now nor in the future ever fit into a womens bag as I am 6' 3" and a little north of 250 lbs.

Keep us posted!

TOG