PDA

View Full Version : Dry Towns

REBELYELL
12-11-2006, 12:54
Does anyone know where a list of the dry resupply towns might be found:confused: I don't want to walk for miles down a road only to find no beer. Also is a list of ABC stores available?Close to the AT of course,

Lone Wolf
12-11-2006, 13:07
Does anyone know where a list of the dry resupply towns might be found:confused: I don't want to walk for miles down a road only to find no beer. Also is a list of ABC stores available?Close to the AT of course,

Blairsville, Ga. is dry.
Helen, Ga. has liquor and beer.
Hiawassee, Ga. has beer.
Franklin, N.C. has liquor and beer
Wesser,N.C. is dry but nearby Bryson City has liquor and beer
Fontana Dam I hear has beer now.
Gatlinburg has everything
Hot Springs, N. C. has beer
Erwin,Tn. has beer
Hampton, Tn. has beer
Damascus, Va. has beer

Just about every town from Damascus to Maine has beer, wine, liquor.

REBELYELL
12-11-2006, 13:08
You da man Thanks

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 13:57
L.W.--excellent reply!

Jaybird
12-11-2006, 14:12
Very Sad reason NOT to visit a town..RY!

generoll
12-11-2006, 15:20
I believe that the NOC now has beer, if that's what you meant by Wesser.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2006, 16:05
Since when?

tiamalle
12-11-2006, 16:21
I believe that the NOC now has beer, if that's what you meant by Wesser. unless this started and I missed it in the news paper they don't.all achohol sold west of Waynesville is in city limits only

Sly
12-11-2006, 16:53
I think it was Fontana Village that got beer, not NOC.

Sly
12-11-2006, 16:55
Blairsville is dry? Where does Kieth at Goose Creek get his beer?

DavidNH
12-11-2006, 16:55

Why even bother hiking the AT? just go sit yourself down in a big bar in some city. It is obvious where your priorities are!!!

Lone Wolf
12-11-2006, 16:56
Why even bother hiking the AT? just go sit yourself down in a big bar in some city. It is obvious where your priorities are!!!

So are you in AA?:rolleyes:

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 17:13
DavidNH,
are you kidding me?!!!! all of my priorities are to hike the AT with beer / alcohol.

Sly,
probably in Murphy. Beer stores and ABC there.

geek

Lone Wolf
12-11-2006, 17:15
Blairsville is dry? Where does Kieth at Goose Creek get his beer?

Hiawassee maybe.

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 17:17
maybe i should quantify that.

MAX PATCH, sunset or sun rise leaning back with a nice breeze and a shot of Jack Danials.
What are your priorities?
geek

Sly
12-11-2006, 17:26
What's the big deal about someone having an adult beverage during their hike?

Don't do this, don't do that, no listening to music, no smoking, no drinking, no slackpacking, no blue blazing, no having fun, only miles and pain are the order of the day! Good grief...

Bravo
12-11-2006, 17:37
What's the big deal about someone having an adult beverage during their hike?

Don't do this, don't do that, no listening to music, no smoking, no drinking, no slackpacking, no blue blazing, no having fun, only miles and pain are the order of the day! Good grief...

Well said Sir.:D

Now which towns have dehydrated booze in burnable containers?

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 17:47
Sly,
very nice...i owe you a beer.

geek

Boat Drinks
12-11-2006, 17:54

You know as part of my journey, I have pledged to myself to try and stop judging people and things, to try and be more of an un-biased observer, to be silent in my mind and just observe. Man, is it hard and lots of setbacks, but I do find it easier every day. I also find that just concentrating on doing this has helped my outlook on life in general already! I don't feel like everyone is an idiot anymore.

:sun

generoll
12-11-2006, 18:04
the NOC had beer as of October. I stopped off there to buy some gear for my daughter before we did our BMT section hike through the Smokies and I asked at the store if they had finished their tennis court. Apparently due to some quirk in county or state law they had to provide some sort of recreational facility to qualify for a beer and wine license. I didn't actually BUY a beer, but the salesman at the register told me that, yes, they had finished the tennis court and now had a license.

So, not proof positive perhaps but a strong indication that you can now get a cool one at the NOC.

Sly
12-11-2006, 18:43
A tennis court... climbing, kayaking, rafting and hiking aren't enough recreation? Some laws are whacked!

Sly
12-11-2006, 18:46
Sly,
very nice...i owe you a beer.

geek

You buy, I'll pack it in! :) (and the empties out) :D

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 21:10
sly,
DEAL!!!!

tiamalle
12-12-2006, 00:44
Blairsville is dry? Where does Kieth at Goose Creek get his beer?south side of neels gap there is a package store going back in Lumpkin County,

bfitz
12-12-2006, 01:35
Very Sad reason NOT to visit a town..RY!
Not a reason not to visit. Just a reason not to plan a booze resupply there. You can get some likker in Johnson City if you're one of the many who stay a while in Erwin. Don't make a jerk out of yourself there, though, that town is a holy place. (and see the thread on Erwin Police hospitality, although I have shot the breeze with some nice cops there....) The Rendezvous is a bar there, and there are occassionally decent bands playing there and pool tables besides (for those in the 07 AT pool tourney). That town's definitely worth a stop despite the fact that you can't actually get a liquor drink at the bar.