PDA

View Full Version : Taking care of dog while on thru-hike

EarlyBird2007
12-11-2006, 17:30
This post might be considered off-topic by some, but I don't think so.

I am planning to start my thru-hike @ March 25, 2007. I live in Central PA near Harrisburg. I've decided not to take my dog Socks, a 6 year old German Shepherd Hound mix. The reasons in brief are: there are several places where dogs aren't permitted; she can't deal with hiking in hot weather; she's had some problems with her feet in rocky areas; somewhat selfishly, I think I will find it enough of a challenge to get myself through, taking care of a dog also may be too much.

Socks is a strong (though gentle) house trained dog who needs plenty of exercise and gets along well with other dogs. Here is a link to a picture. http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=128055
Because of some health problems and other commitments, my wife can't take care of Socks while I'm away. I'm trying to find an alternative to boarding her in a commercial kennel. Money is not particularly a concern - we are willing to pay for all food, etc. and a reasonable fee for taking care of her. I'm looking for an environment where she will get plenty of affection and exercise.

If anyone has any ideas, we'd be most appreciative.:)

mweinstone
12-11-2006, 20:28
im starting feb 18th and live in philly. heres my offer. if you catch up to me and dont have sox with you,.. ill lambast you for not letting him have the adventure of a lifetime and ill scare you by exsplaining to you that sox knows your leaving him behind and going out in the woods to have fun and hes not gonna be happy at all.and if you do bring him,.. his feet will get well because you will plan extra time for him to harden and you will buy bootys and learn to use them in snow and he will heal his other issues all with your help and the power of the trail.leave a dog behind? not on my watch. im a marine. we dont leave our own.sox comes with me!

mweinstone
12-11-2006, 20:30
unless hes tired and wants to stay home. thats fine too.

mweinstone
12-11-2006, 20:33
okay,.. hes a she and i just called myself a marine dog or i caled sox a dog person marine?

Alligator
12-11-2006, 20:40
Jim,

You may be able to trade dog sitting services with a potential '08 hiker. Just a clear thought:sun .

plydem
12-12-2006, 16:50
Jim,

You may be able to trade dog sitting services with a potential '08 hiker. Just a clear thought:sun .

And then she can stay at home but your wife won't have to do much.

Have you considered fencing for your yard, even if it is electric fencing? That way she can get exercise while your wife just keeps an eye on her without her having to do anything more than open the back door and make sure the collar batteries stay strong.

I am sure you already thought of this, but have you asked friends and family if they might be able to help? Maybe someone can keep her for the time you are away.

frieden
12-17-2006, 02:23
I'd take her, if I didn't live on base. She's a cutie! We are already maxed out on animals. I'd second the idea of a different-year-hiker. The trade off of they watch Socks in '07, and you watch their dog in ??year. This could be the start of a dog swap thread! :)