PDA

View Full Version : Banks along the trail?

VictoriaM
12-11-2006, 19:06
I had been planning to take my debit card with me next year as my main form of support. Now I'm thinking it might be a good idea to set up a seperate account at a bank with branches all along the way (my current bank is pretty small and local) so that I can use my card or withdraw cash. Another big advantages would be that my husband could just add funds as I needed them, so it wouldn't be a big issue if I didn't keep close track of how much was in the account at any time. It wouldn't mess up the checkbook for our main account.

So, am I missing any big flaws with this plan? What bank am I likely to see most along the way?

Sly
12-11-2006, 19:18
I don't believe you're likely to see any more of one bank over another. However, with a debit card Visa you can withdraw funds at many grocery stores and at the PO.

That said, when I started hiking out West, I went with Bank of America since they're nationwide. I hate spending extra money on ATM fees, but if I have to, I withdraw the max, usually $300 at a time.

You may want to check around as to which banks charge checking account fees and the like. BofA has fees unless you meet certain requirements.

Jack Tarlin
12-11-2006, 19:23
V--

There are banks and ATMs all up and down the Trail, lots more than there used to be, and in most cases, people are using credit/debit cards from home that are tied into several national systems and can be used almost anywhere.

But setting up separate bank accounts is not necessary; I know of nobody who does this.

P.S. I would also carry either several Traveller's Checks, or better yet, a supply of hard currency at ALL times, in case you either come to a place that doesn't accept credit cards; has no ATM; has an ATM that is not working, etc. Plus, I know of several folks who've had their cards "eaten" by machines for no good reason and it's taken awhile to sort things out; also folks whose cards were erroneously reported lost or stolen, etc. In any case, always carry some cash.

WalkinHome
12-11-2006, 19:58
FYI there is a bank in Maine that has just recently started offering ATM transactions for NO fee - ANYWHERE in the world. They say they will reimburse any fees. This is Bangor Savings Bank. Just Google it, suggest Bangor Savings Bank Maine and check it out. Will be interesting to see if other banks follow. Be Safe

Brushy Sage
12-11-2006, 20:09
An ATM machine in a food store wouldn't take my credit card, but the bank down the street did, and the service was quite personal and efficient. That was the only problem I encountered using a credit card in 600 miles of the AT.

fiddlehead
12-11-2006, 20:10
Wow, thanks WalkinHome, i'm definitely gonna check that out. i pay way too much for international fees getting money in Thailand from my US bank.
For the original poster, carrying some cash is necessary. i don't think it's a problem as hikers don't rip off other hikers generally. I even had a secret pocket sewed into my pack and even carried thousands already although i imagine you may not be that trustworthy. My secret pocket even fulled the customs guys during a 2 1/2 hour search once in LAX coming back from Asia. Cash can be king although ATM's are usually (but definitely not always handy.

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 21:01
if you can find a Sheetz, they are everywhere in the east, ATM's are free with a no charge rule by Sheetz.
i would get a second card at the time of the first and i would definitly start a seperate account for these cards and your hike. if anything messes up (lost card, eaten card, balance problems, etc. you don't want it to be in your main checking account back home as then your hubby still won't be able to help.
you can also get Visa debit / ATM cards for a savings account. although the interest would be small, it will somewhat offset the ATM fees.
these cards work great for hiking.
geek

hopefulhiker
12-11-2006, 21:30
For some reason my Debit card would not work in GA in 2005. Boy was I surprised, From experience it is always good to carry would carry around $60 or so in cash...

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 21:43
i too have found a few ATM's along the way that my card did not work however, i have not found a section of an area that it wouldn't. when it didn't work in an ATM, i found that it usually would work in another in the same town or area and definitly at the P.O.

Hikerhead
12-11-2006, 21:54
Wachovia is pretty much up and down the east coast till you get to New England. If you use a non Wachovia Bank to draw money it's only 2 dollars extra. The online services works great for checking balances and transfering funds. Here's the link listing locations. They are not in every trail town but then just use another ATM and pay 2 bucks.

Thanks for Banking with Wachovia.

http://wachovia.via.infonow.net/locator/jsp/index.jsp

Jim Adams
12-11-2006, 22:01
nice, thanks hikerhead.

TJ aka Teej
12-11-2006, 22:19
Just buy a stamp with a debit card and you can get cash back at any PO with no fee. (Unless you count the 37 cents as a fee!)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-11-2006, 22:23
I've used a local bank card in the Visa network all over the US without problems. I've only had one machine reject it. It charges $1 per withdrawal out of area.

VictoriaM
12-11-2006, 23:39
Well, my husband has a seperate BOA account (his own since before we met) that always has cash in it and is not kept track of very much. We'll be putting my name on the account and getting a card for me. There's BOA branches just about eferywhere, right? I don't know why I didn't think of that from the start.

I'll be carrying some cash with me at all times as well.

emerald
12-12-2006, 00:18
Get cash back when purchasing food at grocery stores with a debit card.

You can send yourself or have your support person send you postal money orders. Cash them when you pick up your mail. That's what I did way back when before ATMs existed. Still works.

If all else fails, there's Western Union. Have your support person wire you cash.

Hikerhead
12-12-2006, 00:38
With an ATM/Debit card along with a Credit card you should have no problems. Like others have said, by using banks, ATM's, cash back at grocery stores and PO's you should have no trouble finding a source for cash.

I would also have your husband keep an extra card at the house just in case you loose yours and when not in use, hide them deep in your pack. My ULA pack, as with most others, has a pocket that holds the back cushion in place. I place mine in there wrapped in a ziplock sandwich bag.

Peace out!

Sly
12-12-2006, 05:28
Well, my husband has a seperate BOA account (his own since before we met) that always has cash in it and is not kept track of very much. We'll be putting my name on the account and getting a card for me. There's BOA branches just about everywhere, right?

BofA/ATM locator....

http://bankofamerica.via.infonow.net/locator/atmbranch/ListLoadAction.do

VictoriaM
12-13-2006, 01:15
Thanks Sly.

the_iceman
12-17-2006, 18:30
if you can find a Sheetz, they are everywhere in the east, ATM's are free with a no charge rule by Sheetz.
i would get a second card at the time of the first and i would definitly start a seperate account for these cards and your hike. if anything messes up (lost card, eaten card, balance problems, etc. you don't want it to be in your main checking account back home as then your hubby still won't be able to help.
you can also get Visa debit / ATM cards for a savings account. although the interest would be small, it will somewhat offset the ATM fees.
these cards work great for hiking.
geek

Jim -

What is a Sheetz? I have lived on the East Coast for 40 years and never heard of them.

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2006, 18:49
It's a regional chain of convenience stores, often on highways, mostly in PA, but also Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, North Carolina, maybe a few other places.

Good sandwhiches, and coffee.

The Weasel
12-17-2006, 18:51
In considering 'banks' keep in mind that out-of-state checks, for those considering having checkbooks in their pack/bounce box, are generally not able to be cashed along the trail, and often not taken by merchants in trail towns.

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2006, 18:57
Weasel:

What about Federal checks, such as tax refunds? Are banks required to cash these (assuming one has proper ID) or can they limit this service to their depositors only?

Jan LiteShoe
12-17-2006, 19:10
Get cash back when purchasing food at grocery stores with a debit card.

You can send yourself or have your support person send you postal money orders. Cash them when you pick up your mail. That's what I did way back when before ATMs existed. Still works.

If all else fails, there's Western Union. Have your support person wire you cash.

Just a heads up - I used postal orders for part of the trail ( a person was paying off a purchase in installments, how handy for me). Some of the smaller post ofices (I'm thinking Glencliff was one) don't keep much cash on hand. I had to stay over a day so they could "acumulate" the $100. :)

I often got cash back at grocery stores and post office purchases. Kept $60 cash and a traveler's check folded tight and stuck in a pair of matches, deep in my first aid kit. The stash saved my butt when I lost my wallet, ID, phone cards and credit cards before Trimpi/Partnership shelter ( a southbounding weekender picked up my jacket and hiked it back to Damascus).

Big Oz
12-17-2006, 20:18
Weasel:

What about Federal checks, such as tax refunds? Are banks required to cash these (assuming one has proper ID) or can they limit this service to their depositors only?that site of Haven's has a list of the banks at each town http://appalachiantrailservices.com

jlb2012
12-18-2006, 08:59
Sheetz is a chain of gas stations/convience/beer/deli stores - I don't know about all through the east but they do seem to be common in Virginia