PDA

View Full Version : Got my Gear

MrHappy
12-12-2006, 00:46
I finally got my package from REI-OUTLET!!! My tent and sleeping bag, aka home for the next six months, have arrived. The tent is an REI Roadster -- I wouldn't recommend it. It's kind of tricky to set up and not the lightest option out there. It's rather roomy for a one person though. I got it at a great deal ($40) so it was worth it for me.

I'm going to test the whole set up outside tomorrow night -- should be in the low teens, just what i'll be expecting in Tennessee in January.

Only 20 more days. My parents are trying to talk me into postponing my hike until the 20th since I'm not very prepared yet and they don't want to stress out over christmas. What do you all say? Do I "stay the course" and start on the first, or is 20 days more preparation going to help significantly?

Jim Adams
12-12-2006, 00:52
It will be plenty cold alright but Jan. 1st is a noble start date. Fall back on your name and do what ever makes YOU happy.
geek

Pennsylvania Rose
12-12-2006, 01:34
Leave whenever you feel prepared and HAVE FUN - I've been reminicing tonight about when I hit the Trail at 18. Best experience of my life. It's STILL in my blood. But, as the mom of teenagers, I now know both sides of the coin. The bottom line: you'll never be prepared enough in your parents' eyes. So call home a LOT. When mama's happier, everyone's happier.

Jim Adams
12-12-2006, 01:42
very good advice Rose. the family wont worry near as much if you make them feel that they are a part of the hike and will be happier to give you moral support along the way.

JJB
12-12-2006, 03:00
If got you got a shakedown done around Greylock I think you would have your chops down for Va. Peace. JJB.

JJB
12-12-2006, 03:05
And for Tn. for that matter. Fingers faster than eyes. Oh ya have a mess o' fun. Might catch you on the trail closer to home. Peace. JJB.

Flying Monkey
12-12-2006, 03:26
Mr. Happy..are you startinf at Springer, or in TN? If TN, where? I'll be in that area then, and it's always nice to know others out there.

maxNcathy
12-12-2006, 09:07
Good luck. Go when you know what you're doing and CALL HOME every chance you get.
Sandalwood

rafe
12-12-2006, 09:28
You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din. Be warm and safe.

peter_pan
12-12-2006, 10:37
Good luck whichever you choose... HYOH.

Pan

hopefulhiker
12-12-2006, 11:23
Hope for a warm winter... You can do it! Have a great hike, wish I was back out there!

Flying Monkey
12-12-2006, 11:33
As i'm sure you know, you live just outside Bear Mountain state park. This might be a good place to start. The park is gorgeous, the campsites (12 in the whole park) are remote and little used, and it does count as "wilderness" (The only bear i've run into was there). The AT runs through the park 0.6 miles from the campsites. There's a shelter a mile or so North (?) of where you can pick it up. Would certainly be good training grounds at least.

Flying Monkey
12-12-2006, 11:40
Sorry....wrong thread altogether. I promise to look next time.

Blissful
12-12-2006, 12:29
Only 20 more days. My parents are trying to talk me into postponing my hike until the 20th since I'm not very prepared yet and they don't want to stress out over christmas. What do you all say? Do I "stay the course" and start on the first, or is 20 days more preparation going to help significantly?

I don't know - I'd wait 20 more days. You're young and having parents' wisdom and advice on things can be helpful and makes them feel included. Also, there will be good after Christmas sales too for last minute prep.

MrHappy
12-12-2006, 16:52
How do you mean wrong thread? I DO live outside bear mountain state park -- while it is gorgeous, I prefer Sages Ravine on the MA/CT border. It's less known among the tourists from NY and in winter it's absolutely beautiful.

I'm not worried about the cold, so much as planning a few mail drops, getting last minute gear together, etc.

I'll be starting at Springer -- but I've been told that TN will be the coldest area (except for the whites, but I've been there, done that).

Thanks for the wishes everyone!

Flying Monkey
12-12-2006, 18:27
How do you mean wrong thread? I DO live outside bear mountain state park -- while it is gorgeous, I prefer Sages Ravine on the MA/CT border. It's less known among the tourists from NY and in winter it's absolutely beautiful.

I'm not worried about the cold, so much as planning a few mail drops, getting last minute gear together, etc.

I'll be starting at Springer -- but I've been told that TN will be the coldest area (except for the whites, but I've been there, done that).

Thanks for the wishes everyone!

I had thought that I responding to another thread "another analyze gear list thread" which was posted by an inexperienced hiker looking for advice on winter camping. I just confused you, but looked at your hometown, which is absolutely wonderful, btw. I had a wonderful chicken fried steak in a diner in town.

Have a great hike. There's several groups I know of leaving Springer Jan 1st, so you should have some company.