PDA

View Full Version : i hate the holidays

IAMTHELAW70
12-12-2006, 02:40
the start date for my NOBO couldent come any sooner. every year near xmas which is also around the same time as my bday i have the most awful luck ever. to add to the list i am being kicked out of my aprt cause my roomate left and i cant afford rent so we have to be out by dec 23. 2 DAYS before xmas and to top it off my cell phone was cut off today and the place i was bartending at just went out of business. so from no untill the end of feb when i start my trip i will be homeless,broke and in complete despair. thank god for the AT it is really the only thing i have to look forward to these days.and thanks to all the friends on WHITEBLAZE and all the AT hikers who lend your support. hopefully i will be able to hear back from some of you before they cancel my internet haha see you all on the trail-THE LAW:banana

saimyoji
12-12-2006, 08:34
If you can manage it, why not start now? :-?

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 08:37
the start date for my NOBO couldent come any sooner. every year near xmas which is also around the same time as my bday i have the most awful luck ever. to add to the list i am being kicked out of my aprt cause my roomate left and i cant afford rent so we have to be out by dec 23. 2 DAYS before xmas and to top it off my cell phone was cut off today and the place i was bartending at just went out of business. so from no untill the end of feb when i start my trip i will be homeless,broke and in complete despair. thank god for the AT it is really the only thing i have to look forward to these days.and thanks to all the friends on WHITEBLAZE and all the AT hikers who lend your support. hopefully i will be able to hear back from some of you before they cancel my internet haha see you all on the trail-THE LAW:banana

Someone, somewhere is suffering much worse than you are.

TJ aka Teej
12-12-2006, 08:48
so from no untill the end of feb when i start my trip i will be homeless,broke and in complete despair.

Plenty of jobs here:
Job list for Roanoke and the entire Blue Ridge Region
http://regionalhelpwanted.com/BrowseAds/?SN=145

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2006, 09:18
Sorry to hear things are not to your liking. However, you now have a unique opportunity - you have no job or lease to tie you to where you now are. As TJ says, go someplace where jobs are plentiful - hopefully some place where you can train for your up-coming hike.

Heater
12-12-2006, 09:23
Sorry to hear things are not to your liking. However, you now have a unique opportunity - you have no job or lease to tie you to where you now are. As TJ says, go someplace where jobs are plentiful - hopefully some place where you can train for your up-coming hike.

Yep. Get a seasonal job to get by until ready head out to hike.

rafe
12-12-2006, 09:37
Going to leave this brokedown palace,
On my hand and knees, I will roll, roll, roll.
Make myself a bed in the waterside,
In my time, I will roll, roll roll.

--Garcia/Hunter

Frosty
12-12-2006, 09:52
Someone, somewhere is suffering much worse than you are.Troll is, reading through the political forums...

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 09:56
Troll is, reading through the political forums...

That's funny right there! I don't care who you are!:D

Boat Drinks
12-12-2006, 10:04
Going to leave this brokedown palace,
On my hand and knees, I will roll, roll, roll.
Make myself a bed in the waterside,
In my time, I will roll, roll roll.

--Garcia/Hunter

Nice :sun Can always find help there!

hopefulhiker
12-12-2006, 11:34
There is real suffering on the political forums all right. but good luck on your hike. I know a lot of people got work along the trail in 2005. Also a lot of the hostels do work for stay.. I put together some furniture for Susan in Damascus, for a night stay.. It was a pain, one of these chinese made things.. It took me all day.. She got the better end of the deal I think!

rafe
12-12-2006, 11:42
Nice :sun Can always find help there!

It's good to know that the GD-AT connection lives on. That verse from "Brokedown Palace" came to me within seconds after reading the opening post of this thread. I swear, my one encounter with the "Trail Daze" scene reminded me of nothing so much as... a GD concert.

cannonball
12-12-2006, 11:49
Your broke and soon to be homeless yet you are starting a thru at the end of Feb.? I know I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed but I seem to be missing something here.

Boat Drinks
12-12-2006, 11:57
It's good to know that the GD-AT connection lives on. That verse from "Brokedown Palace" came to me within seconds after reading the opening post of this thread. I swear, my one encounter with the "Trail Daze" scene reminded me of nothing so much as... a GD concert.

Man, I miss those Shows! Although I got into the Dead late, near the end, I seem to appreciate the music more every passing year.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 11:58
"Jerry's dead and Phish sucks. Get a life" Had that sticker on my Nalgene.:)

rafe
12-12-2006, 12:01
Yer a cranky old phart, Wolf.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 12:02
C'mon now. I put a :) after my post. I just ain't a Dead fan.

Blissful
12-12-2006, 12:35
Plenty of jobs here:
Job list for Roanoke and the entire Blue Ridge Region
http://regionalhelpwanted.com/BrowseAds/?SN=145

Roanoke is nowhere near Manassas though. He lives in Northern VA and Manassas does have plenty of retail and restaurants. Almost like a burb of Washington, really. Should be able to come up with some temp job, I'd think. Also, family or friends around where you can stay? Or any chance you can find a roomate?

Also, I agree with another poster - can be hard to do a thru with stuff at home nagging you. Might want to get things squared away first, then you can relax and enjoy your hike.

smokymtnsteve
12-12-2006, 21:46
Yep. Get a seasonal job to get by until ready head out to hike.

come spend the rest of the winter in AK,,,Chena hot springs resort would be most happy to employ U for the rest of the season,,,$$$ along with free room and board and free wireless internet access,,,course it can git a little chilly here,

bfitz
12-12-2006, 21:57
C'mon now. I put a :) after my post. I just ain't a Dead fan.
It takes a little effort, but it's well worth it.

Coming from a guitar player whose favorite band is Iron Maiden.

As to the topic...
as Iron Maiden so eloquently put it in my favorite hiking song (which deserves reposting here):

Another prophet of disaster
Who says the ship is lost
Another prophet of disaster
Leaving you to count the cost
Taunting us with visions
Afflicting us with fear
Predicting war for millions
In the hope that one appears

No point asking when it is
No point asking who's to go
No point asking what's the game
No point asking who's to blame
cos if you're gonna die, if you're gonna die
cos if you're gonna die, if you're gonna die!

If you're gonna die, die with your boots on
If you're gonna try, just stick around
Gonna cry, just move along
If you're gonna die, you're gonna die!

In 13 the beast is rising
The frenchman did surmise
Through earthquakes and starvation
The warlord will arise
Terror, death, destruction
Pour from the eastern sands
But the truth of all predictions
Is always in your hands

If you're gonna die, die with your boots on
If you're gonna try, just stick around
Gonna cry, just move along
If you're gonna die, you're gonna die!

They died, with their boots on!

PS. Respond to the thread when you can so we know how things turn out.

fiddlehead
12-12-2006, 22:13
I was on the AT just north of Kent CT when Jerry died. Played a lot of music that night at the shelter. I think of it everytime i'm near Kent now.

IAMTHELAW70, you are at a crossroads that you could be looking at like it's the best thing(s) ever happened to you.
That's how i got started in all this.
Enjoy that kind of freedom. (it doesn't come often in life)

rafe
12-12-2006, 22:49
There were days
and there were days
and there were days I know
when all we ever wanted
was to learn and love and grow
Once we grew into our shoes
we told them where to go
walked halfway around the world
on promise of the glow
stood upon a mountain top
walked barefoot in the snow (http://arts.ucsc.edu/GDead/AGDL/days.html#stars)
gave the best we had to give
how much we'll never know we'll never know

-- Days Between (Garcia/Hunter)

IAMTHELAW70
12-13-2006, 03:21
thanks folks, even though things arent exactly going my way and i am well aware there are plenty others out there way worse off its just always good to vent here and there. and besides u dont need that much money it just all depends on the way of life your used to living and so on. no frills equals SAVINGS!!! and top ramen is only 1 dollar for 7 packages who can beat that?

bfitz
12-13-2006, 04:38
When life gives you lemons...

http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/fv.htm??g=37e8a0f6-630c-4e71-8868-d7ba9732fc53&t=c3&f=06/64&p=hotvideo_viralvideos&fg=&gt1=8816

RAT
12-13-2006, 21:12
Nice link bfitz LOL I too hate the holidays but at least I am not homeless and I have a job but I would much rather be thru hiking !
Good luck to ya IAMTHELAW, keep us posted on your adventures.

RAT

woodsy
12-13-2006, 21:25
All of us anti-christmas types should pack up and head for the hills with enough food and tonic to last till all the hoopola blows over.....then emerge in time for the New Years party when the fun begins.
Iamthelaw-It is said that everything happens for a reason, just don't know what that reason is, hang in there, it gets better!

RAT
12-13-2006, 22:00
Good idea and good advice Woodsy ! Wish I could do that for sure !

RAT

Grandma Dixie
12-13-2006, 23:18
Some people say you have to hit rock bottom before you can truly appreciate life. Good luck with your little fiasco. We're all rooting for ya'

Bravo
12-13-2006, 23:26
Some people say you have to hit rock bottom before you can truly appreciate life. Good luck with your little fiasco. We're all rooting for ya'

Grandma at 17? WOW.

Yeah man sometimes you gotta go down to come up. I have a few times. It's cool though. The deeper the roots the bigger the tree.