PDA

View Full Version : Irrational Behavior

rafe
12-12-2006, 11:57
I'm always mindful of, and thankful for, my safety and well-being in the woods. Problem is, I don't know who to thank. Being an atheist, thanking g*d just won't do. Still, I want a way to express my thanks... and appreciation for this wonderful trail.

Last few years I've acquired this odd habit. At least once a day on the AT, I kiss a blaze. Well, not quite exactly; I make a little fake-kiss at my fingertips and then touch a blaze. This sometimes happens after a moment of unease. It's always a relief to see a fresh blaze, especially then.

So I'm weird. Anyone else have similar irrational habits on the trail -- that they're willing to confess? ;)

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 12:00
Every time I see a blue-blaze my feet go that way.

Heater
12-12-2006, 12:03
I'm always mindful of, and thankful for, my safety and well-being in the woods. Problem is, I don't know who to thank. Being an atheist, thanking g*d just won't do. Still, I want a way to express my thanks... and appreciation for this wonderful trail.

Last few years I've acquired this odd habit. At least once a day on the AT, I kiss a blaze. Well, not quite exactly; I make a little fake-kiss at my fingertips and then touch a blaze. This sometimes happens after a moment of unease. It's always a relief to see a fresh blaze, especially then.

So I'm weird. Anyone else have similar irrational habits on the trail -- that they're willing to confess? ;)

Thank "goodness". Goodness relates to all. :sun

rafe
12-12-2006, 12:06
Every time I see a blue-blaze my feet go that way.

Some yellow blazes as well. BTW, didja know that guy that drove us into Damascus in '90 was murdered? I sent him a card a year or two after our hike... and the reply was a copy of his obit. I kid you not.

weary
12-12-2006, 12:08

Well, it's not irrational, but I periodically make a donation to: www.matc.org
or www.matlt,org or http://www.appalachiantrail.org

Weary

rafe
12-12-2006, 12:11
Well, it's not irrational, but I periodically make a donation to: www.matc.org (http://www.matc.org)
or www.matlt,org (http://www.matlt,org) or www.atc.org (http://www.atc.org)

Weary

Weary, you're a newsman. Read carefully. I asked for irrational behavior.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 12:16
Some yellow blazes as well. BTW, didja know that guy that drove us into Damascus in '90 was murdered? I sent him a card a year or two after our hike... and the reply was a copy of his obit. I kid you not.

Big Tom was driving and Willie, the one murdered was the passenger. Very sad. Willie was a great guy. Was in the wrong place, wrong time. I still see Big Tom a lot. Still lives near the trail crossing.

Boat Drinks
12-12-2006, 12:46

;)

I thank "The Source". The Source of all the Love and Energy surrounding me.

weary
12-12-2006, 12:52
Weary, you're a newsman. Read carefully. I asked for irrational behavior.
Read carefully. I often don't answer questions people ask. I just say things that strike me as useful. We are facing a one time chance to create buffers for the narrow trail corridor in what most hikers think of and praise as the Maine wilderness.

The land is on the market. It will be sold to either trail and conservation interests or to developers. The choice is ours. I know what the irrational choice is. From time to time I suggest rational alternatives, so when the frames for the condos rise, irrational as that hope is, I'll at least feel that I've done what I could.

Weary www.matlt.org

rafe
12-12-2006, 13:07
Big Tom was driving and Willie, the one murdered was the passenger. Very sad. Willie was a great guy. Was in the wrong place, wrong time. I still see Big Tom a lot. Still lives near the trail crossing.

Duh. [Slaps forehead.] I forgot you live in Damascus these daze. Of course you knew... but it still came as a shock to me.

Speaking of other long-lost characters from bygone days... whatever became of Carol Moore (Lagunatic?) Of all the folks I'd like to thank.... she's high on my list, and will always remain so.

rafe
12-12-2006, 13:11
Read carefully. I often don't answer questions people ask. I just say things that strike me as useful. We are facing a one time chance to create buffers for the narrow trail corridor in what most hikers think of and praise as the Maine wilderness.

[Slaps forehead. Again.] Just made a donation, Weary. Least I could do for impugning your reading skills. ;)

I still feel like kissing a blaze today...

The Weasel
12-12-2006, 13:17
Well, I don't know if this qualifies as "irrational" (I sort of think it is) but when I leave the AT itself even to a shelter, I usually make a note in my mind of the actual spot where I turned off (as in the precise place my foot was last actually "on" the AT) and when I return, I'm careful to start up again from that point. I want to be able to say to myself, when I finally get to Katahdin, that I hiked "every foot" of the AT. It's been my dream since 1965, so I don't want to miss even one inch of it. Not a bragging thing (certainly esp since I haven't finished) but just a personal thing.

The Weasel

Buckles
12-12-2006, 13:25
That's a good one. I like it!

rafe
12-12-2006, 13:33
I want to be able to say to myself, when I finally get to Katahdin, that I hiked "every foot" of the AT.

Yeah, I've heard about folks like you ;). Have you been to Kirkridge shelter yet? It has separate NOBO and SOBO approach paths, which pleased me greatly. But I guess that wouldn't work for you.

But honestly, is it even possible to cover "every foot" of the AT? What happens when there's a blowdown? Oops! Ya missed a few feet!

And when you cross a stream or meadow or a rock pile, are you sure you were on the trail the whole way across? [Most of times when the AT crosses a meadow, I get lost.]

Way I figure it, I've done enough blue-blazes and non-AT hikes to make up for my minor transgressions. Not to mention those bits of the AT I've done multiple times, wrong turns, etc and ad. nauseum.

Can I get brownie points for never having slackpacked?

beas
12-12-2006, 13:34
I hate to hear you are an atheist! It seems that being on a place such as the ATone should see God in everything there. It is impossible for me to go to places like the AT (which I have not been on but will this spring) without thanking the creator of heaven and earth. I know that being in southwest Colorado was one of the most incredilbe affirmations of God's existence. The other thing to remember is Jesus is the true and only way to God and heaven.
BEAS

rafe
12-12-2006, 13:38
I hate to hear you are an atheist!

Please don't weep for me. You can read the hiking sermon I gave on another thread. [Amazing Feats on the Trail.]

I have one or two religions... the GD, and the AT. :D

The universe is amazing enough without a g*d to explain it all.

Boat Drinks
12-12-2006, 13:55
The other thing to remember is Jesus is the true and only way to God and heaven.
BEAS

I'm glad you have your strong beliefs, thats a good thing, please don't preach here unless someone asks you to. Thanks!:sun

floyd242
12-12-2006, 14:20
I'm glad you have your strong beliefs, thats a good thing, please don't preach here unless someone asks you to. Thanks!:sun

Well he did say Irrational behavior...

*ducks*

Ender
12-12-2006, 14:37
The other thing to remember is Jesus is the true and only way to God and heaven.

Kinda hard to buy into that line of hooey when you don't believe in any of it in the first place. :rolleyes:

Gray Blazer
12-12-2006, 14:52
.....as long as God believes in you, then you're alright. My irrational behavior is I start crying everytime I'm over 4000' on a ridge or mountaintop with perfect visability.

Blissful
12-12-2006, 15:02
I'm always mindful of, and thankful for, my safety and well-being in the woods. Problem is, I don't know who to thank. Being an atheist, thanking g*d just won't do. ;)

I am all for being grateful for what we have, for safety, for everything. But my question is - how can you thank an organization or a human being for the mountains and rivers that you encounter? Or your own personal safety and well being? That keeps you from falling on your face and breaking a bone? Or falling off a cliff? Or taking in bad bugs in the water? Or gives you that feeing of awe when you see a vista from the highest summit? Sure you can thank the wonderful volunteers for the maintenance of the trail. The trail helpers. The gracious hosts at the hostels. The people that give so much great advice here on WB on gear and where to stay. Or that the trail exists because someone had the dream for it.

But thanking those people and organizations for your safety while you're out there? Or for the mountains themselves?

Hmmm.... maybe we could possibly thank the "big bang". Or "evolution" for the mountain part...though there still isn't anyone really to thank.
That doesn't answer the safety question either.

But I really applaud the idea that you are searching in your heart to thank "someone"!
Way cool and a great idea. We need to be thankful. It just takes time to figure out "who" deserves our thanks.

MOWGLI
12-12-2006, 15:08
Thank Gaia. By the way, a GREAT song by the great James Taylor.

The sky was light and the land all dark
The sun rose up over Central Park
I was walking home from work
GAIA
The petal sky and the rosy dawn
The world turning on the burning sun
Sacred wet green one we live on
GAIA
Run run run run said the automobile and we ran
Run for your life take to your heels
Foolish school of fish on wheels
GAIA
Turn away from your animal kind
Try to leave your body just to live in your mind
Leave your cold cruel mother earth behind
GAIA
As if you were your own creation
As if you were the chosen nation
And the world around you just a rude and
Dangerous invasion
GAIA

Someone's got to stop us now
Save us from us Gaia
No one's gonna stop us now

We thought we ought to walk awhile
So we left that town in a single file
Up and up and up mile after mile after mile

We reached the tree line and I dropped my pack
Sat down on my haunches and I looked back down
Over the mountain
Helpless and speechless and breathless

GAIA

Pray for the forest pray to the tree
Pray for the fish in the deep blue sea
Pray for yourself and for God's sake
Say one for me
Poor wretched unbeliever

Save us from us Gaia

The Weasel
12-12-2006, 15:28
Yeah, I've heard about folks like you ;). Have you been to Kirkridge shelter yet? It has separate NOBO and SOBO approach paths, which pleased me greatly. But I guess that wouldn't work for you.

But honestly, is it even possible to cover "every foot" of the AT? What happens when there's a blowdown? Oops! Ya missed a few feet!

And when you cross a stream or meadow or a rock pile, are you sure you were on the trail the whole way across? [Most of times when the AT crosses a meadow, I get lost.]

Way I figure it, I've done enough blue-blazes and non-AT hikes to make up for my minor transgressions. Not to mention those bits of the AT I've done multiple times, wrong turns, etc and ad. nauseum.

Can I get brownie points for never having slackpacked?

Yes, sometimes I feel like "Monk" obsessing about these questions. Shelters with multiple entrances either have me returning to my departure point or skipping them altogether. Ugh. As for blowdowns, I go over/under if it is very fresh, and if I can't, I'll go up to the closest part of the trunk and then, on the other side, come back to it. Yes, this is very anal. If there is already a pathway beat around the blowdown, and the blowdown has been there a while, I'll take the path (so I don't create a new one) and treat it as a "trail reroute" until the (blessed) maintainers come through. Streams, I usually treat as "point-to-point" from each bank, although I haven't had any truly large unbridged ones yet.

Yes, you can get brownie points for never having slackpacked. I've never done that either, but the points can't buy you anything, since as I understand it, "hiking the AT" doesn't require a pack. Just not my way.

The Weasel

The Weasel
12-12-2006, 15:31

Left my comment on this part of your quote out...sorry.

I don't think there are ANY transgressions for how someone hikes the AT, other than to say they've done it all when they haven't. Anything else is merely style, probably.

The Weasel

rafe
12-12-2006, 15:32
Yes, you can get brownie points for never having slackpacked. I've never done that either, but the points can't buy you anything...

Or as my New York City inlaws put it, "That, and a token, will get you a ride on the subway..."

weary
12-12-2006, 15:35
I am all for being grateful for what we have, for safety, for everything. But my question is - how can you thank an organization or a human being for the mountains and rivers that you encounter? Or your own personal safety and well being? That keeps you from falling on your face and breaking a bone? Or falling off a cliff? Or taking in bad bugs in the water? Or gives you that feeing of awe when you see a vista from the highest summit? Sure you can thank the wonderful volunteers for the maintenance of the trail. The trail helpers. The gracious hosts at the hostels. The people that give so much great advice here on WB on gear and where to stay. Or that the trail exists because someone had the dream for it.

But thanking those people and organizations for your safety while you're out there? Or for the mountains themselves?

Hmmm.... maybe we could possibly thank the "big bang". Or "evolution" for the mountain part...though there still isn't anyone really to thank.
That doesn't answer the safety question either.

But I really applaud the idea that you are searching in your heart to thank "someone"!
Way cool and a great idea. We need to be thankful. It just takes time to figure out "who" deserves our thanks.
The mountains are products of universal laws of science. Your safely is a combination of wise choices by you and good luck. There may have been a diety that set the laws of science in play, but I find it hard to believe that it would keep a hiker from falling, while ignoring the accidents that cause millions of children to die over the centuries.

Weary

The Weasel
12-12-2006, 15:35
*** But my question is - how can you thank an organization or a human being for the mountains and rivers that you encounter? *** But thanking those people and organizations for your safety while you're out there? Or for the mountains themselves?

Bliss...you haven't been to West Virginia, lately, perhaps. Or forgotten North Carolina. I thank the ATC, the Sierra Club (including in the East) and other like-minded groups for the mountains constantly,

A couple of years ago, the ATC got the NC Atty General to whomp on a mine company that was going to take down about half a mountain, in plain view of the AT, and was successful. In W VA, it is routine for mining companies to literally consume entire mountains - I mean from top to bottom - to open mine coal. I mean, the mountain, afterwards, is gone. Tailings are used to "recreate" some of it, but it ain't a mountain any more.

And I also thank those groups for making it possible to see the mountain, and not see dozens/hundreds/thousands of houses, roads and more on "that high place over there."

So yeah, thank the organization for the mountains.

The Weasel

MOWGLI
12-12-2006, 15:47
Ugh. As for blowdowns, I go over/under if it is very fresh, and if I can't, I'll go up to the closest part of the trunk and then, on the other side, come back to it.
The Weasel

Are you sucking up to Jack again, or do you really do this? :D

Ender
12-12-2006, 15:47
Or as my New York City inlaws put it, "That, and a token, will get you a ride on the subway..."

Not anymore! Tokens don't work anymore... they just use Metrocards now. And even those may go the way of the Dodo... they're testing out these EZPass style wands that you just wave in front of the turnstile and it'll let you through.

Fascinating, I'm sure :p

My little irrational thing is I'll occasionally pat a tree as I pass it, almost to say that I'm not there to do any harm, but am just passing through. This, however, was much harder to do on the PCT in the desert, when there weren't tress, but cacti... I tried it once, but never again. :cool:

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 15:50
Me and The Weasel have something in common. No slackpacking for me either.

rafe
12-12-2006, 15:55
Not anymore! Tokens don't work anymore... they just use Metrocards now...

The tokens are gone, but the expression lingers...

It was fun walking from Port Authority to Grand Central a couple of months ago, in full hiker regalia, on the way home from my last section hike. It was raining lightly, and a young lady came up beside me to share her umbrella. New Yorkers are the best.

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2006, 16:06
Irrational behavior?

In the old days, I'd go THRU or over blowdowns instead of around them. Or if they were absolutely impenetrable, I'd go thru them as deep as I could, then walk around them, go thru from the other side, and make sure my foot landed on the same spot, as I was determined not to "miss" any part of the Trail. I would often come into camp a bloody mess at day's end as a result of this.

And if there was tree in the middle of the Trail and I wasn't sure if the "true" Trail went to the left or right of it, I'd walk all the way around the tree, i.e. I'd hit BOTH sides of it before continuing on my way, again determined not to
"miss" anything.

Lastly, if I got to a road crossing where I was going into town, I'd make sure to re-cross the road and put my foot on the same place where I'd left the Trail in order, once again, not to miss anything.

Happily, I don't do this much anymore, just once in awhile for old times' sake.

The Weasel
12-12-2006, 16:09
Are you sucking up to Jack again, or do you really do this? :D
I don't suck up to pretty much anyone. I can be anal all on my own, with no help from others.

Yes, I really do this. On the AT, at least. As I start the PCT soon, probably there, too.

The Weasel.

Boat Drinks
12-12-2006, 16:17
.....as long as God believes in you, then you're alright. My irrational behavior is I start crying everytime I'm over 4000' on a ridge or mountaintop with perfect visability.

This may be the most rational thing you could do!:sun

Boat Drinks
12-12-2006, 16:19
Thank Gaia. By the way, a GREAT song by the great James Taylor.

The sky was light and the land all dark
The sun rose up over Central Park
I was walking home from work
GAIA
The petal sky and the rosy dawn
The world turning on the burning sun
Sacred wet green one we live on
GAIA
Run run run run said the automobile and we ran
Run for your life take to your heels
Foolish school of fish on wheels
GAIA
Turn away from your animal kind
Try to leave your body just to live in your mind
Leave your cold cruel mother earth behind
GAIA
As if you were your own creation
As if you were the chosen nation
And the world around you just a rude and
Dangerous invasion
GAIA

Save us from us Gaia

We thought we ought to walk awhile
So we left that town in a single file
Up and up and up mile after mile after mile

We reached the tree line and I dropped my pack
Sat down on my haunches and I looked back down
Over the mountain
Helpless and speechless and breathless

GAIA

Pray for the forest pray to the tree
Pray for the fish in the deep blue sea
Pray for yourself and for God's sake
Say one for me
Poor wretched unbeliever

Save us from us Gaia

Outstanding. I've been a JT fan for ages and missed that one! Thanks for that!:sun

weary
12-12-2006, 19:02
Irrational behavior?

In the old days, I'd go THRU or over blowdowns instead of around them. Or if they were absolutely impenetrable, I'd go thru them as deep as I could, then walk around them, go thru from the other side, and make sure my foot landed on the same spot, as I was determined not to "miss" any part of the Trail. I would often come into camp a bloody mess at day's end as a result of this.

And if there was tree in the middle of the Trail and I wasn't sure if the "true" Trail went to the left or right of it, I'd walk all the way around the tree, i.e. I'd hit BOTH sides of it before continuing on my way, again determined not to
"miss" anything.

Lastly, if I got to a road crossing where I was going into town, I'd make sure to re-cross the road and put my foot on the same place where I'd left the Trail in order, once again, not to miss anything.

Happily, I don't do this much anymore, just once in awhile for old times' sake.
Hmmm. You really were a nut case, even back then!

Weary

Mags
12-12-2006, 19:09
My little irrational thing is I'll occasionally pat a tree as I pass it, almost to say that I'm not there to do any harm, but am just passing through. This, however, was much harder to do on the PCT in the desert, when there weren't tress, but cacti... I tried it once, but never again. :cool:

I patted CDT markers this past year..hoping they would not vanish. Sometimes it actually worked. :-)

rickb
12-12-2006, 19:37
I am not sure how many places one can buy lottery tickets directly on the AT, but as a one-time MEGA hiker, I drove way too many miles out of my way to buy some of those MEGA Million tickets at a store in Dalton, MA once. :rolleyes:

My numbers were in liine, and The Town Dalton was very good to me some years before! :D

I thought I was being rational at the time. :-?

rickb
12-12-2006, 19:46
I have also been known to appologize out loud to roots that I step on, but that may not really qualify for this thread.

Its not that I think trees really feel pain (that would be nuts), but rather that by showing respect, some of thier kind might be less likey to get me.

So this is actually just being smart.

I am most respectfull of those trees with roots growing parallel to the footpath on a steeply decending part of trail, especially on a wet day.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 19:50
I carve graffiti in every shelter I pass. I consider it art.

general
12-12-2006, 20:05

using a chared stick from the fire pit is art as well, that's my method. that way, anyone who stays there can take a little of my art with them.

Programbo
12-12-2006, 23:29
>>>>>>Outstanding. I've been a JT fan for ages and missed that one! Thanks for that<<<<

Here`s a good AT sounding song for you (This isn`t JT but a similar styled artist):

Carolina In The Pines

http://bluegrasslyrics.com/spacer.gifShe came to me said she knew me
Said she'd known me a long time
And she talked of being in love
With every mountain she had climbed

And she talked of trails she'd walked up
Far above the timberline
From that night on I knew I'd write songs
For Carolina in the pines.

There's a full moon on the fourteenth
First quarter twenty-first
And a full moon in the last week
Brings a fullness to the earth.

There's no guess work in the clockwork
Of the world's heart or mine
There are nights I only feel right
With Carolina in the pines.

As the frost grows on the windows
The wood stove smokes and glows
As the fire glows we can warm our souls
Makin' rainbows in the coals.

And we talk of trails we walk up
Far above the timberline
There are nights I only feel right
With Carolina in the pines.

weary
12-12-2006, 23:44
A few years ago several of us spent a long summer building the East Branch shelter in the 100-mile-wilderness -- carrying in materials two miles over a rough trail and across a stream, cutting the spruce logs, milling the logs to rough-sawn timbers, and assembling them into a three-sided lean-to.

A week after the official opening someone wrote a message in six inch high black letters on the logs. MATC was so incensed they notified the AT's lone ranger in Harpers Ferry. There ensued an investigation, the identification of the culprits, an order that the graffitti be removed, and a public apology by the vandals.

Weary

micromega
12-13-2006, 09:36
Theres a guy I know who makes an effort to touch every blaze he passes. Whatever trail he's on, whatever color the blaze. He does it so naturally that you wouldn't notice uness you're watching for it. His explanation is that its a conscious effort to avoid straying from the path by ensuring he's still following the blazes. Irrational? I don't know...

Most irrational thing I do on the trail?

I leave it at the end of every hike.

Danged if I can explain that.

rafe
12-13-2006, 09:50
Most irrational thing I do on the trail?
I leave it at the end of every hike.

Beautiful.

SGT Rock
12-13-2006, 10:16
I treat water.

Bravo
12-13-2006, 10:18
I treat water.

Nooooo Rock. Say it ain't so.:D

SGT Rock
12-13-2006, 10:26
It's So! It's So! ;)

rafe
12-13-2006, 10:29
I treat water.

You're refering to water treatment as a matter of "faith." I think you're probably right about that, but I'm still gonna carry my filter.

I think in this case "faith" is in play because the evidence is so inconclusive. IOW, it's not all that irrational...

SGT Rock
12-13-2006, 10:33
Comeon Terrapin, you got to admit that any matter of faith is almost inherently irrational by definition. ;)

beas
12-13-2006, 11:06
Comeon Terrapin, you got to admit that any matter of faith is almost inherently irrational by definition. ;)
Can I know have permission to "preach" as I was asked not to?
BEAS

woodsy
12-13-2006, 11:13
BEAS

No, No, NO

SGT Rock
12-13-2006, 11:24
BEAS

You mean NOW...

Well, I reckon you can if you start it knowing that the act of preaching can also be irrational.

Ender
12-13-2006, 11:37
BEAS

Start your own thread if you're going to do it, so I can ignore it.

beas
12-13-2006, 13:40
I tell ya what I'll do. Anyone having questions or would like to discuss faith. Please pm me. I will say I am not a door to door Bible thumper but I do try to take advantage of oppurtunities given to me to share the truth. But I will not wear out my welcomes or put my beliefs on anyone telling me no . I will just pray and try live an example.
I have enjoyed the reading and the input from everyone on this site since I joined. I hope to meet some of you on the trail.
Thanks
BEAS

Bravo
12-13-2006, 18:06
I will say I am not a door to door Bible thumper but I do try to take advantage of oppurtunities given to me to share the truth. Thanks
BEAS

Rephrase="to share MY truth."

That's a bit more accurate. IMO.

atraildreamer
12-13-2006, 21:05
At least once a day on the AT, I kiss a blaze.

Just make sure that it is a blaze and not the result of a bird flying over! :D

rafe
12-13-2006, 21:26
I aint never seen a bird ***** a perfect 2x6" rectangle on the side of a tree. But when I do, I'll try to remember your warning.

Skidsteer
12-13-2006, 21:41
I've seen some Blue Herons on our land that could do it but it'd be closer to 2 x 6 feet.

atraildreamer
12-14-2006, 00:20
I aint never seen a bird ***** a perfect 2x6" rectangle on the side of a tree. But when I do, I'll try to remember your warning.

Remember...if the feathered friends are into eating blueberries, thay may be depositing blueblazes too!:eek:

Not that anyone on this forum would follow a blueblaze, let alone kiss one!:D

This thread deserves a dancing banana! :banana

Sleepy the Arab
12-14-2006, 21:47
I'm almost embarassed to admit this, but occasionally, when crossing a state line, I've turned and bowed my head to the state I was leaving. Kind of a farewell gesture I guess.

rafe
12-14-2006, 22:04
I'm almost embarassed to admit this, but occasionally, when crossing a state line, I've turned and bowed my head to the state I was leaving. Kind of a farewell gesture I guess.

That's a good one. I think the more typical response is to snap a photo. And if you're NOBO, crossing into Maine, to let out a big celebratory whoop. :)

Bravo
12-14-2006, 22:05
[quote=Sleepy the Arab;285848]I'm almost embarassed to admit thisquote]

YOU SHOULD BE. What's wrong with you?:D

Just kidding. Been there done that.

spittinpigeon
12-17-2006, 21:37

Does this site censor the word god? Or is typing it against your religion?;) j/k

rafe
12-17-2006, 23:54
Does this site censor the word god? Or is typing it against your religion?;) j/k

The site isn't censoring it, that's the way I typed it. Nominally, the answer to your 2nd question is yes.

K0OPG
12-18-2006, 09:27
If you are an athiest, why would you even mention God? A true athiest does not believe in a God of any kind. So, that tells me that you are not totally closed to the idea or the concept of there being a Supreme Being. You also said that the way you typed God was because it was against your religion. Atheism is a belief in nothing, however, stating you have a "religion" means you believe in something, just probably not sure what.

My other question is; how can you hike through the beautiful woods, see all the animals, see a wondrous sunset/rise, feel the power of a thunder storm, see the fresh growth in spring from these rains, and not believe that a Creator created them? :confused:

Anyway, just some ponderations. (things that make you think harder than normal)

rafe
12-18-2006, 09:49
My other question is; how can you hike through the beautiful woods, see all the animals, see a wondrous sunset/rise, feel the power of a thunder storm, see the fresh growth in spring from these rains, and not believe that a Creator created them? :confused:

Born Jewish, but it's cultural thing, not religious. That's not uncommon. These days I occasionally attend Unitarian services. The "holy screeds" (Bible, Koran, etc.) strike me as ludicrous... but reading Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris makes me smile.

As for appreciationg nature... the more I know of science, the more magical and mysterious it becomes. I certainly do experience awe and wonder and humility on the trail. :sun

Like most other humans, I invoke g*d as a figure of speech. That doesn't (or shouldn't) infer belief, on my part.

Ender
12-18-2006, 11:11
If you are an athiest, why would you even mention God? A true athiest does not believe in a God of any kind. So, that tells me that you are not totally closed to the idea or the concept of there being a Supreme Being.

Being a believer, why would you even mention athiesm? A true believer does not believe that athiesm is a valid coice at all. So, that tells me that you are not totally closed to the idea or the concept of there not being a Supreme Being. :p

Sam Harris rocks, by the by.

hopefulhiker
12-18-2006, 11:44
On my thru hike, I used to talk to the trail. When I would see a particularly difficult piece of terrain, I would take a moment to size it up, sometimes even saying out loud " You have got to be kidding!" I guess I was addressing whoever it was that made the trail to begin with....

general
12-18-2006, 12:11
I've seen some Blue Herons on our land that could do it but it'd be closer to 2 x 6 feet.

i've been contacted by that same family of Herons. last year one dropped a bomb on my canoe and almost sank the old girl.

you've sunk my battleship!

rafe
12-18-2006, 13:07
On my thru hike, I used to talk to the trail. When I would see a particularly difficult piece of terrain, I would take a moment to size it up, sometimes even saying out loud " You have got to be kidding!" I guess I was addressing whoever it was that made the trail to begin with....

Same here, though my language is often a bit stronger. ;) Then I realize it's only a game, and there's no point even playing the game if I'm not enjoying it. So I shake my fist at the sky, scream "YOU BASTARDS!" at the top of my lungs, grin, and move on. :D

beas
12-18-2006, 23:31

Anyway, just some ponderations. (things that make you think harder than normal)[/quote]

Watch it Coopdog, I was chastised for "preaching" when I brought the same ideas.

Skidsteer
12-19-2006, 00:07
i've been contacted by that same family of Herons. last year one dropped a bomb on my canoe and almost sank the old girl.

you've sunk my battleship!

They are impressive aren't they?

One large specimen of the breed deposited a respectable dump twenty feet in front of me as I was walking across our pasture down by Mossy Creek.

I'd rather take a head shot from a paintball gun.

Skyline
12-19-2006, 00:13
I tell ya what I'll do. Anyone having questions or would like to discuss faith. Please pm me. I will say I am not a door to door Bible thumper but I do try to take advantage of oppurtunities given to me to share the truth. But I will not wear out my welcomes or put my beliefs on anyone telling me no . I will just pray and try live an example.
I have enjoyed the reading and the input from everyone on this site since I joined. I hope to meet some of you on the trail.
Thanks
BEAS

You know, you can have a relationship with a God, and NOT have a relationship with mortals who think they speak for a God.

Skidsteer
12-19-2006, 00:17
You know, you can have a relationship with a God, and NOT have a relationship with mortals who think they speak for a God.

Prove it.

;)

Minot
12-19-2006, 00:38
I thank "The Source". The Source of all the Love and Energy surrounding me.

I'm glad you have your strong beliefs, thats a good thing, please don't preach here unless someone asks you to. Thanks!

rafe
12-19-2006, 01:08
Watch it Coopdog, I was chastised for "preaching" when I brought the same ideas.

IMO, "reverence" is an appropriate attitude towards the trail. But IMO it ought to be a private thing, ie., every hiker feels it in her or his own way. I more or less admitted to "reverent" thoughts at the start of this thread, atheist though I may be.

Personally, I don't need g*d to feel awe and wonder. I appreciate science for all that we know, and accept that there are a few things we may never know.

bfitz
12-19-2006, 01:24
Prove it.

;)

:D

It's not called the great mystery for nothing. It's apparent that no one can really know anything in this regard, save by intuition alone (not very dependable). That's why anyone trying to speak about how much god loves you, wants you to behave a certain way, etc. etc. is just so ridiculous! And they get so adamant about it! Really, I love those guys when they're making pie (like we talked about in the religious trail magic thread), but c'mon.

I'm glad you have your strong beliefs, thats a good thing, please don't preach here unless someone asks you to. Thanks!
I'll ask. Go ahead and preach. :p

Skyline
12-19-2006, 11:04
Prove it.

;)

I'm living proof.

I believe there is something or someone out there greater than us and probably better than us, but I don't take anyone else's word in the form of a book or sermon as if it was a legal contract I must abide by.

Prove I'm wrong.

beas
12-19-2006, 13:12
:D

It's not called the great mystery for nothing. It's apparent that no one can really know anything in this regard, save by intuition alone (not very dependable). That's why anyone trying to speak about how much god loves you, wants you to behave a certain way, etc. etc. is just so ridiculous! And they get so adamant about it! Really, I love those guys when they're making pie (like we talked about in the religious trail magic thread), but c'mon.

I'll ask. Go ahead and preach. :p

If you were to look at the life of a man named Jesus, a man that is not mystical, not made up, but one who walked the earth. Proven in historical documents other than the Bible. (Roman and Jewish) He was shown to have never sinned been sought after by the Romans turned over by his own people (Jews) sent to trial, never found guilty, sentenced to death, crucified on the cross, (many were done this way) and most importantly rose from the tomb. (No one else has done that)
The last part risen from the tomb is the most important part of Christianity. Without that we have nothing to go on. This too was proven in historical documents other than the Bible. Romans and Jews both show Jesus was not in the tomb on the third day. This fulfills the Old Testament prophicies. Unlike other religions our Messiah has risen from the dead, gone to heaven and will return.
I know there are a lot of folks that read books here in this forum. I recomend a book called " A Case For Christ" not sure of the author. It will give you a greater look at why Jesus fulfilled the O.T.and He is exactly who he claimed to be.
BEAS
Remember he asked I with held untill someone did.

MOWGLI
12-19-2006, 13:22
Unlike other religions our Messiah has risen from the dead, gone to heaven and will return.

Can 1,000,000,000 hindus all be wrong? :-?

Can 1,200,000,00 muslims all be wrong? :confused:

K0OPG
12-19-2006, 13:25
Ender "Being a believer, why would you even mention athiesm? A true believer does not believe that athiesm is a valid coice at all. So, that tells me that you are not totally closed to the idea or the concept of there not being a Supreme Being. :p "

Your comparison is apples and oranges...If an athiest mentions/talks about a God, then he is not a true athiest by the definition that I understand.

I did not compare the belief in whether there is a God or not. I mentioned the belief/choice ie "atheism". I believe that there are people that believe there is no God. I also believe these people are seriously wrong.

As far as depending on/believing in science. I do not because science has proven very little. Too many "THEORIES" for me. That is where faith come in. You have faith in science and I have faith in a Creator.

As I have said before...If I am wrong, oh well. If you are wrong, oh hell.

disclaimer...not preaching just stating my beliefs just like you.;)

beas
12-19-2006, 14:03
Can 1,000,000,000 hindus all be wrong? :-?

Can 1,200,000,00 muslims all be wrong? :confused:
Sadly I say YES.
Once again show me a place where Jesus is kept. I can show you place where the muslim's mesiah is buried.
I believe hinduah to have no god or are they the religion with the little chubby guy. IF it is buddah you refer to the man never intended to be worshipped he claims no god.
The difernece is Jesus has risen. That is not my opinion but a historical fact. This is not a myth. This is as factual as who you mother is. What about Jim Jones or David Coresh they too thought they were the Messiah. but we also know wherer they are buried.

By the way
Merry CHRISTmas

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 14:05
What if I told you Muslims belive in Jesus, and know he is coming back as well. Are they still wrong?

Pacific Tortuga
12-19-2006, 14:12
Sadly I say YES.
Once again show me a place where Jesus is kept. I can show you place where the muslim's mesiah is buried.
I believe hinduah to have no god or are they the religion with the little chubby guy. IF it is buddah you refer to the man never intended to be worshipped he claims no god.
The difernece is Jesus has risen. That is not my opinion but a historical fact. This is not a myth. This is as factual as who you mother is. What about Jim Jones or David Coresh they too thought they were the Messiah. but we also know wherer they are buried.

By the way
Merry CHRISTmas

" God, please save me from your followers!"

MOWGLI
12-19-2006, 14:16
Sadly I say YES.

I see we agree on something. :D

rafe
12-19-2006, 14:23
" God, please save me from your followers!"

Amen to that ;).

The Old Fhart
12-19-2006, 14:23
The Koran says that religions are like many trails leading to the top of the same mountain, they all lead to the top. If you're Christian, follow your path; if you're a follower of Islam, that is the way you should go, etc., etc.

What is irrational behavior is zealots arguing that they possess THE TRUTH-that isn't religion at all.

Footslogger
12-19-2006, 14:27
[quote=The Old Fhart;288703]The Koran says that religions are like many trails leading to the top of the same mountain, they all lead to the top.

======================================

Kinda like Katahdin ??

'Slogger

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 14:29
Good point Old Fhart. I don't want to get into religious debate, but if you know what the Qur'an really says, I cannot see how any Christian could have much at odd with it because it says a lot of the same thing the New Testament says about many many things.

Anyway. My point on this post was to say lets all agree to move the religious dogma comparison to the off-topic forum and not on this thread. My experience is these sorts of things degrade into arguments on points of faith and dogma and upset a lot of people.

rafe
12-19-2006, 14:33
Anyway. My point on this post was to say lets all agree to move the religious dogma comparison to the off-topic forum and not on this thread. My experience is these sorts of things degrade into arguments on points of faith and dogma and upset a lot of people.

Thanks for that, Sarge. Or at the very least let's try to keep it trail-related, if it's not too much trouble... :)

beas
12-19-2006, 14:35
Good point Old Fhart. I don't want to get into religious debate, but if you know what the Qur'an really says, I cannot see how any Christian could have much at odd with it because it says a lot of the same thing the New Testament says about many many things.

You win Sgt. you out rank me. But remeber.... They asked. I was letting it lay.
Beas

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 14:42
Well I said you could still talk about it, just asked that it not be on a thread that is about something else, and on the off-topic forum.

MOWGLI
12-19-2006, 14:42
For those who would like to talk Christianity with like-minded hikers, there is always this site; http://www.christianhikers.ipbhost.com/

I'm not suggesting anyone leave Whiteblaze. If you want to talk religion, and like hiking, that's apparently a good site. Or so I'm told.

Boat Drinks
12-19-2006, 14:49

Thank you. Religion has done more to ruin the "Message" than anything I can think of.

Ender
12-19-2006, 14:49
Your comparison is apples and oranges...If an athiest mentions/talks about a God, then he is not a true athiest by the definition that I understand.

Then you misunderstand the definition of athiesm. We're still able to say the word without any belief attached. It's just a word in the English language... it'd be like not being allowed to say "milk" if you were lactose intolerant. Just plain silly.

Ender
12-19-2006, 14:50
My point on this post was to say lets all agree to move the religious dogma comparison to the off-topic forum and not on this thread.

Sorry Rock. Didn't see this before I posted my last post. My appologies. Moving on! :)

Boat Drinks
12-19-2006, 14:54

No way was this preaching smart guy. I don't care what you believe. This was in reference to the original poster's post.:mad: Nice trolling though.:p

OOPS Sorry Sgt. This will be my last on this thread. Horrible un-winnable argument anyway. You can't argue against emotion.

Mags
12-19-2006, 14:58
http://www.venganza.org/

His noodely appendage blesses us all...

Ramen!

rafe
12-19-2006, 15:04
http://www.venganza.org/
His noodely appendage blesses us all...
Ramen!

Mags comes through, in the nick of time :). My pals and I used to have fun as kids making up religions. Let me tell you about the Potty G*d... ;)

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 15:06
I treat water.

Lone Wolf
12-19-2006, 15:07
I don't treat water. I have faith.

The Old Fhart
12-19-2006, 15:14
SGT Rock-"I treat water."Yeh, but do you do it THE right way.:D

MOWGLI
12-19-2006, 15:16
Yeh, but do you do it THE right way.:D

Seat up, flush afterwards, and then wash your hands. Don't forget to put the seat back down.

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 15:18
I have faith that I do.

The Old Fhart
12-19-2006, 15:20
SGT Rock-"I treat water."
ME-"Yeh, but do you do it THE right way."What I meant was; do you treat it with respect.;)

Lone Wolf
12-19-2006, 15:22
I treat it like it's good.

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 15:25
I sometimes treat it with Jim Beam. It usually says thank you after a few of those.

Skyline
12-19-2006, 15:30
Sadly I say YES.

By the way
Merry CHRISTmas

Jesus no doubt existed. All the characteristics that some of those who claim to speak for God put on Jesus are open to honest objective questioning. Just because we don't know for sure how he escaped from the tomb does not prove he was something other than mortal. We don't know where a lot of famous people in history are buried.

If you have absolute faith that every single word in the Bible, full of contradictions and written by mortals with agendas, was divinely inspired and therefore must be true--believe all you want. But don't insist that other people believe it, much less be forced to live by civil laws based on it.

beas
12-19-2006, 15:33
[quote=MOWGLI16;288714]For those who would like to talk Christianity with like-minded hikers, there is always this site; http://www.christianhikers.ipbhost.com/

I'm not suggesting anyone leave Whiteblaze. If you want to talk religion, and like hiking, that's apparently a good site. Or so I'm told.[/quo
Thanks
BEAS

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 15:34
Read post #90

Skyline
12-19-2006, 15:35
Well, I just saw the request that this discussion be moved somewhere else, after posting above. No problem moving, but there wasn't a link to the thread we are supposed to go to.

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 15:38
I just invited people that wanted to talk about it to go to that other forum and continue it, I didn't start a thread for it myself. I figured since no one started one, it wasn't that important to them to continue.

Footslogger
12-19-2006, 15:38
Man ...and I thought I was quilty of thread swerve now and then !!

'Slogger

P.S. ...I treat, and then hope like hell !!

The Old Fhart
12-19-2006, 15:57
SGT Rock="Read post #90"Sorry for continuing to discuss water. I appologize to all who believe in the absolute purity of the water. This is not to say that I hold those who religiously treat water in any less regard than others. I personally feel that drinking water is an individual relationship between you and the water and no one should question that practice, unless you happen to live in Jonesville-don't drink the kool-aid!:eek:

Boat Drinks
12-19-2006, 16:00
Sorry for continuing to discuss water. I appologize to all who believe in the absolute purity of the water. This is not to say that I hold those who religiously treat water in any less regard than others. I personally feel that drinking water is an individual relationship between you and the water and no one should question that practice, unless you happen to live in Jonesville-don't drink the kool-aid!:eek:

But if you don't treat water exactly as is dictated in the EPA guidelines, you will never be accepted as a true Tru-Hiker, no way, no how. :rolleyes:

Ender
12-19-2006, 16:06
as a true Tru-Hiker,

I know it was probably a typo, but I like that... Tru-Hiker: those hikers who think that their way is the only way.

rafe
12-19-2006, 16:07
Oy. If Mel Brooks did a movie about the AT, this is what it would look like.

Ender
12-19-2006, 16:48
Another irrational thing I've done is, during my AT thru I carried this little catnip-stuffed toy mouse, and called it my Scaremouse (like a scarecrow, but for mice). Oddly, the thing seemed to have worked, and I didn't have any mice problems that year. :sun

SteveJ
12-19-2006, 16:54
I sometimes treat it with Jim Beam. It usually says thank you after a few of those.

AND alcohol is a great purifier! :banana

The Old Fhart
12-19-2006, 16:59
Coralrives-"But if you don't treat water exactly as is dictated in the EPA guidelines, you will never be accepted as a true Tru-Hiker, no way, no how."Government controlled water -smacks of antidisestablishmentarianism! (I've been waiting years to use that word):D

MOWGLI
12-19-2006, 17:27
I appologize to all who believe in the absolute purity of the water.

Speaking of "purity", if you stray from the white blazes for even a moment in order to get H2O, you are no longer a thru-hiker. :rolleyes:

Heater
12-19-2006, 17:36
Government controlled water -smacks of antidisestablishmentarianism! (I've been waiting years to use that word):D

Wait... Wouldn't that smack of disestablismentarianism rather than ANTIdisestablishmentarianism? :-?

:confused:

The Old Fhart
12-19-2006, 18:08
Austexs-"Wait... Wouldn't that smack of disestablismentarianism rather than ANTIdisestablishmentarianism?:-? "DIS onward wants seperation, ANTIDIS onward wants the Govternment (EPA?) involved.

Just remember, the Government has no place messing with our ‘precious bodily fluids’ as General Ripper would say.

General Jack D. Ripper: "Mandrake, do you recall what Clemenceau once said about water?"
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: "No, I don't think I do, sir, no."
General Jack D. Ripper: "He said water was too important to be left to the generals."

rafe
12-19-2006, 18:09
Speaking of "purity", if you stray from the white blazes for even a moment in order to get H2O, you are no longer a thru-hiker. :rolleyes:

Must get awful thirsty by the time u get to Maine.

bfitz
12-19-2006, 18:18
Government controlled water -smacks of antidisestablishmentarianism! (I've been waiting years to use that word):D

Way to bring religion back into the thread! Geez....

Heater
12-19-2006, 18:22
DIS onward wants seperation, ANTIDIS onward wants the Govternment (EPA?) involved.

Right.

I was thinking more on a local/municipal level with the chemicals and flouride in the water. That would be DIS onward as far as the non-treater would be concerened.

The EPA context would be ANTI DIS onward to keep them involved in assuring it is clean in the first place.

:cool:

K0OPG
12-20-2006, 08:43
Sgt Rock, Thy word is my command. I endeth the discussion, because afterall, you are the man.

Mowgli - Thanks for the website.

Ender - as I stated "that I understand", obviously my definition is incorrect.

To every one - Merry Christmas and God Bless you and your families. Happy Hiking in the New Year.