PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic music

stickat04
12-12-2006, 13:31
I am looking for 1 or 2 songs with just Acoustic guitar no singing. Any help?

MOWGLI
12-12-2006, 13:39
I am looking for 1 or 2 songs with just Acoustic guitar no singing. Any help?

Heaven Help the Fool jam, performed by the Grateful Dead in 1980. Available on Rhino Records remastered release of Reckoning. Listen to a snippet here (http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=73282).

rafe
12-12-2006, 13:40
The Water Song, by the Jefferson Airplane. But for Deadheads, you might want to check out Peter Rowan and/or David Grisman.

otterman
12-12-2006, 14:18
Most anything by Leo Koetke.

Nean
12-12-2006, 14:30
Walk, Don't Run- by the Ventures

briarpatch
12-12-2006, 16:33
Don't know what style of music you are looking for, but here are a few suggestions:
Classical Gas
Scuttle Buttin'
Little Wing (sounds a little wierd on an acoustic, but still good)
My Sweet Lady (by John Denver) sounds good when played fingerstyle without the vocals

Almost any song with a longish guitar solo, such as Stairway to Heaven or Hotel California works without vocals, too.

Chaco Taco
12-12-2006, 16:45
Almost anything by Keller Williams (Live). Deep Elem Blues by The Grateful Dead

MOWGLI
12-12-2006, 16:52
Deep Elem Blues by The Grateful Dead

Great song, but its not an instrumental.

SalParadise
12-12-2006, 17:33
john fahey

adh24
12-12-2006, 17:39
Khaki King

I've heard her "Everybody Loves You Album" She only sings on one song but amazing guitarist. Just her and an acoustic axe. Definitely check it out.

fiddlehead
12-12-2006, 18:29
Little Martha by Allman Bros. (dicky betts)
Mood for a day by Yes
So many Bach tunes
Anybody out there Floyd
In memory of Elizabeth Reed Allman bros.

It would help if we knew what style of music you like. there are tons of instrumentals around including classical music of course done on the acoustic guitar.

slingblade
12-12-2006, 18:36
Tone Poems - David Grisman and guest guitarists. Any Bryan Sutton albums. Larry Keel, Doc Watson, David Via, Sean Watkins, Mason Williams,Tony Furtado, and of course "Pickin on Skid Row" is a classic.

Belew
12-12-2006, 20:38
Larry Keel playing Aquarium Fescue from 4/26/98 is great and Jerry's Farewell is always good. It ain't just guitar but it is instrumental.

Doc Watson, Khaki King and all the old blues players are worth listening to.

What kind of sound are you looking for?

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 20:38
Yanni, Zamphyr and Kenny G

Belew
12-12-2006, 20:41
Hey slingblade, Via is my guitar and mando teacher. :D Very nice guy!

Belew
12-12-2006, 20:43
Hey Wolf, Don't forget Esteban :banana

bfitz
12-12-2006, 21:19
Most anything by Leo Koetke.
Little Martha. (Allman brothers version without the 12 string) Alternate tuning but not that difficult and upliftingly beautiful.

Chaco Taco
12-12-2006, 21:51
Great song, but its not an instrumental.

Then why am I listening to Jerry play it right now with just his acoustic guitar. i know the original is not but there are acoustic only versions.

MOWGLI
12-12-2006, 21:54
Then why am I listening to Jerry play it right now with just his acoustic guitar. i know the original is not but there are acoustic only versions.

Where did you cull that recording?

Chaco Taco
12-12-2006, 21:56
Where did you cull that recording?

I collect rare Jerry stuff. Have a bunch of old jugband recordings. A buddy of mine is a taper and he traded to get it for me for my 21 bday. The recording is shotty but its Jerry by himself just playing some of his tunes with no vocals. Very very rare. :banana

MOWGLI
12-12-2006, 22:02
I collect rare Jerry stuff.

Ah! That's why I wasn't familiar. I have some pretty rare stuff myself. :cool: But I'm not a trader 'cause I don't have a dual tape deck, and all of my 1st Gen soundboards are on high quality cassettes. All I pretty much have is 1st & 2nd Gen board tapes. I gave away about 30 shows a few years ago to my friend's daughter after their home burned down. She approached me a few months later and said, "Do you have any idea what you gave me?" :sun

What date was the song recorded? Do you know? Did you get to see Jerry before he departed?

Chaco Taco
12-12-2006, 22:21
Ah! That's why I wasn't familiar. I have some pretty rare stuff myself. :cool: But I'm not a trader 'cause I don't have a dual tape deck, and all of my 1st Gen soundboards are on high quality cassettes. All I pretty much have is 1st & 2nd Gen board tapes. I gave away about 30 shows a few years ago to my friend's daughter after their home burned down. She approached me a few months later and said, "Do you have any idea what you gave me?" :sun

What date was the song recorded? Do you know? Did you get to see Jerry before he departed?

Saw Jerry 3 times before he died when I was in high school. Thats so cool you gave those recordings up to her.
I will find out the dates. The show may be in a data base on btree or somewhere.
Thanks for the talk about music! Music is very important to me on my hikes!! Im making a big mix for when I go on my hike. Nothing electriic with alot of bluegrass and jugband stuff. Peace:D

rafe
12-12-2006, 22:57
There was a fella with the trailname "Dead Ahead" in 1990. He started at Springer with his entire GD concert collection in his pack -- about 30 cassettes worth, IIRC. (This was long before iPods, mind you.) He did finish, though I'm not sure if the cassettes were still with him.

adh24
12-13-2006, 09:20
"You are my sanity" by Tim Reynolds

DawnTreader
12-13-2006, 11:05
Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds live acustic sets are unbelievable..
Jack Johnson can play a simple acustic and make it sound so soothing...

plydem
12-13-2006, 11:33
How about John McLaughlin? Especially stuff he did with Paco de Lucia and Al Di Meola. Great acoustic jazz/fusion stuff with some Indian influences. I saw him twice when he opened for Steve Morse (not with the above but with his John McLaughlin Trio). Those were two of the best concerts I have ever been two in my short life.

MOWGLI
12-13-2006, 11:42
I saw Di Meola in Chattanooga last summer and was disappointed. Maybe the outdoor venue contributed to that.

Eric Johnson too. He really sucked. They are both very fast guitarists however.

plydem
12-13-2006, 11:56
Well, I can't say I've seen Di Meola in concert. One of the ones I mentioned above was The Trio's tour following the release of "Que Alegria". The percussionist was amazing (Trilok Gurtu) and they toured with Kai Eckhardt instead of Dominic DiPiazza on bass. Anyway, overall great stuff if you like Jazz. McLaughliin is an amazing guitarist.

rafe
12-13-2006, 12:02
Music is very important to me on my hikes!!

Big deadhead here, but I still don't own an iPod or anything like it. I'm wondering if I should take one of these hiking. I can argue it both ways. If I'm groovin' to Jerry's riffs or John Prine's awesome tunes, will I hear the grouse drumming?

c.coyle
12-13-2006, 19:41
Walk, Don't Run- by the Ventures

Is that acoustic? I think a lot of these recommendations are electric guitar tunes.

I second Leo Kottke. And Little Martha by Dickie Betts.

bfitz
12-13-2006, 20:03
According to a website I visited Little Martha was:

The only Allman Brothers song written entirely by Duane Allman.
An acoustic instrumental.
Duane wrote this for Dixie Lee Meadows, a groupie he was having an affair with.
Duane Allman claimed this came to him in a dream in which Jimi Hendrix was playing it for him in a hotel room. He woke up and started playing it.
Title is taken from a statue at Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, Georgia, where the band would often jam. It is the grave of Martha Ellis, who died in 1896 at age 12. Duane Allman and Berry Oakley are buried at the same cemetery.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2006, 20:40
Gregorian chants.

tiamalle
12-13-2006, 20:55
I am looking for 1 or 2 songs with just Acoustic guitar no singing. Any help?how about down yonder

bfitz
12-13-2006, 20:56
Bron-Yr-Aur by Zep.

RAT
12-13-2006, 20:59
It would help to know what you want these acoustic songs to be used for so I can better suggest something. I could even play it for ya :cool:

RAT

Lone Wolf
12-13-2006, 21:00
It would help to know what you want these acoustic songs to be used for so I can better suggest something. I could even play it for ya :cool:

RAT

Probly for one of those dime-a-dozen slide shows of the AT.:)

rafe
12-13-2006, 21:01
Gregorian chants.

"Ommm.. Ommm.. I'm deranged..."

bfitz
12-13-2006, 21:03
Since the request was specifically for unaccompanied acoustic songs I assumed it was for courtin' a lady.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2006, 21:04
"Ommm.. Ommm.. I'm deranged..."

You're deranged from all that scitty Dead music you listen to. Jerry who?:rolleyes:

bfitz
12-13-2006, 21:07
A lot of Jerry's art goes over people's heads. Like I said, some things worthwhile take effort to appreciate.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2006, 21:09
A lot of Jerry's art goes over people's heads. Like I said, some things worthwhile take effort to appreciate.

I've seen his art. it's good. his guitar and voice are marginal.

RAT
12-13-2006, 21:20
Yup, Trey Anastasio (Phish) is much better altho no comparison to Warren Haynes (Govt Mule) however Frank Zappa will always be God of the guitar ;)

RAT

rafe
12-13-2006, 21:24
I've seen his art. it's good. his guitar and voice are marginal.

He was inspiring on a good day, mediocre on a bad one. He was never as good on his own as he was with the boyz, or with Grisman, Rowan, et. al. Just like the Beatles weren't all that special, on their own. You really got the sense from Jerry that making music was what he lived for, and what he loved to do.

Steven Stills once called the Dead "the world's greatest garage band" -- and Jerry took that remark as a compliment.

bfitz
12-13-2006, 21:25
Jerry's pickin is what I'm talkin' about. While lots of it was just mediocre noodling for him, at it's greatest it could be some of the deepest and most sublime music I ever heard. Trey is flashy, Zappa was avant-garde (and definitely less boring than his protege Steve Vai) , but Jerry was deeper than both of em, and most others.

rafe
12-13-2006, 21:32
[Slaps forehead]
How could I forget? Some of the finest old-timey acoustic I've ever heard: Jody Stecher and Kate Brislin -- when they're playing together.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2006, 16:31
I love Jerry's music and art. I have a Jerry Tie that I wear when the occasion presents itself. I love the Dead, but wow, who could not appreciate some old jugband Jerry? Makes me think of hiking and being in the Appalachians. Best place in the world!!! Brightens my day!:sun

Chaco Taco
12-14-2006, 16:33
Yup, Trey Anastasio (Phish) is much better

RAT

THAN WHO????? If you say Jerry, you are ouuta yo mind!:mad:

rafe
12-14-2006, 16:40
Get out your old Crosby Stills Nash & Young album. Listen carefully to "Teach Your Children (Well)". Listen, in particular, to the licks at the very end. That's Jerry on the pedal steel.

Sly
12-14-2006, 17:46
Big deadhead here, but I still don't own an iPod or anything like it. I'm wondering if I should take one of these hiking. I can argue it both ways. If I'm groovin' to Jerry's riffs or John Prine's awesome tunes, will I hear the grouse drumming?

Sure, if you keep the volume low to medium. You'll also be able to hear rattlesnakes. Sometimes there's not much to listen to in nature. Silence may be golden, but it also gets boring.

generoll
12-14-2006, 18:24
hey Jeff, I see that you aren't taking emails. How about sending me an email at [email protected]. I might be in need of some trail guides if mine don't get here in the mail by tomorrow.

Gene