PDA

View Full Version : hikers in florida

beta
06-02-2003, 21:55
i am looking for people who love backpacking and live in tampa, florida or nearby. i would love to get together and plan a few trips for the summer or just get together and share trail stories. it's hard to find people who love backpacking down here.
happy trails
beta

Hikerhead
06-02-2003, 22:07
I met a thru hiker named Sue from St. Petersburg, Fl last week on Peters Mtn Va. Her trail name is St. Pete Sue.

Have you tried the Florida Hiker Assoc.

They have a big hike every year around the Big O. I think it's arouund Thanksgiving. Takes about a week to walk around that big pond.

manzana
06-03-2003, 06:36
The Florida Trail Assoc also has numerous hikes throughout the year. There is great hiking in Ocala, Green Swamp, and Kississimee. All are a few hours from you.

flbackpacker
06-03-2003, 09:30
The mountains are a long way off, but I plan on at least one good trip per year. Tentative plan for 2004 to do Mt. Ranier, but who knows, thats a long way off. Would like to do some parts of the Florida trail this winter.

I'm in Vero Beach.

Penscal
06-03-2003, 18:39
Hking in Flirida?

Why: try canoeing:

Finally hiked last of Appalachian Trail in Georga to Blys Gap this Monday.

Lived in Florida since 1958, have hiked all of Appalachian trail in Georgia, this hike, May 30th to June 3rd - wild life sightings since 1979 to date include, one deer, one rattlesnack - crossing below my foot to Crowrock Mountain, one black snake just past Rich Knob, and one Tallahasse lookin' squirell, threafter near Bull Gap.

Have canoed, (spelling} most of Florida's rivers, for exicitment avoid:

Blackwater River, Perido River, Coldwater River, Florida Westen Rivers beyond Marrianna, Florida:

if you are interested in the wild Florida:

Look to your area for wildlife - gators, mirigating birds, geese, ducks, South American reptiles, etc, for your veiwng enyoyment, if that is what you are looking for.

Great canoe trips (use to be) on Santa Fe River and local rivers, - Gainesville area, and area around Napes, Fl...St. Pete wild life area, and areas near Jacksonville/ Alabama border {tributaries into National/Sate Forest areas)

Not knocking Trail, but since you requested Florida, camping/experience best with canoe/kayack - try Carrabelle to Dog Island,... - ... sharks, dolphens - ride with your boat, then you can camp on the tip of the most isloated Barrier Island in Florida in a State Park,

ps. bring water. Also,if really adventurous, swim/dive/fish for fresh oysters, grouper, crab. red fish

Where ever you hang yer hat , best of luck

[email protected]

highway
06-05-2003, 07:47
See the Florida Trail Association at:

http://www.florida-trail.org/

There are local chapters all around the state. I am about due east of you, across the peninsula on the Atlantic side and if there is a local chapter here, there is certainly one in your larger metropolitan area.
Good Luck

ga>me>ak
06-05-2003, 10:25
Beta,
I live in Tampa and would like to do a few trips this summer and one in the fall. Have done all of Ga, NC, TN on the At. Drop me a line, [email protected]. Put something in the header so I know it's not some spam crap.

manzana
06-05-2003, 10:33
Florida Classic: You gotta do the 30 miler from Alligator Alley to Tamiami Trail. I flew down from Raleigh last year and did it on the weekend. It about killed me but I will remember it the rest of my life... manzana

jojo0425
07-07-2003, 14:22
Beta,

I live in NW FL and am a member of the Florida Trail. I don't know about chapters in your area, but my chapter is great.

Later this month we're going to the Cohutta Wilderness for an 8 day trek. I'm sure all of the chapters have great events. You really should look into it.

We camp, hike, backpack and eat (a lot), it really is a fun time and you get to be around people who love the outdoors as much as you do. Wait for cooler weather around these parts though...much too hot to be outdoors in July (in Florida). :D

bucky2ME04
07-07-2003, 17:41
I live in Homosassa and do bits and pieces of the FT.

shrimp
07-24-2003, 00:15
If you're interested, I live about 2 blocks away from the Eckerds on 49th street and Central ave. I haven't done anything more than day trips so far, but I hope to do the AT next summer. I'd like to get together with other bpers and try to prepare for my trip.