PDA

View Full Version : Condition of AT in Shenandoah??

firemountain
12-12-2006, 17:27
I will be entering the park in two days, have only the knowledge that there was a sever icestorm two weeks ago. The website only has info on skyline drive (mostly closed). Does anybody have firsthand info on if the trail is passable?
Thanks
Early Bird ME -> GA

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 17:31
Search the members list for Stumpknocker and e-mail him. He walked thru there during or after the storm can't remember which.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 17:38
or call 540-999-3500 for any park info.

jlb2012
12-12-2006, 17:51
PATC has been doing some considerable work clearing the AT but appears to lack enough people to swamp for the chainsawyers - in any case I would expect to hike Skyline Drive cause a fair bit of the AT is still probably buried in blowdown. Call PATC if you want better info - they will know what parts are still blocked : http://www.patc.net/about/contact.html

the goat
12-12-2006, 18:21
i was up near gravel springs (north end of snp) a couple of days after the storm. there was definitely alot of damage, many large trees are branchless and many large trees are no more. that said, i think the trail was passable, but it'll take you considerably longer to do so.

what HOI said a/b walking the drive is probably your best bet.

vajfitz
12-12-2006, 18:33
Hello,

I went hiking yesterday on the AT in the Hightop Mtn area near Hwy 33. The Drive is closed and there are mutiple limbs and blowdowns along the AT and Drive. Many crews are working to clear the Drive and the AT.

The Ranger at Hwy 33 was discouraging any travel thru the Park.

Jim

stumpknocker
12-12-2006, 18:50
I will be entering the park in two days, have only the knowledge that there was a sever icestorm two weeks ago. The website only has info on skyline drive (mostly closed). Does anybody have firsthand info on if the trail is passable?
Thanks
Early Bird ME -> GA

I was told by a park ranger to stay to the road and pitch my tent anywhere along side of the road. I walked a mile on the Trail near Big Meadows that made Mahoosic Notch seem easy....well, Mahoosic Notch is easy, but you get my drift. :) When I went through, there was only 20 miles of road open. I did see a couple maintainers on the Trail in an area that wasn't hit as hard by the ice.

I also got into a little poison ivy working my way through some of the downed trees.

South of Shenandoah was in pretty good shape in most places.

Nothing is open now....no waysides or campstores.

Vi+
12-12-2006, 18:53
A few days after the ice storm, there was a list of clear trails at the Thornton Gap Entry Gate (U.S. Highway #211). Few trails were mentioned, along with about three miles of the AT. The telephone number there is 540 / 999 - 3122.

The obstacle wasn’t large trees blown down, but sharp broken-off branches, broken-down saplings, and the vines of briars entwining them. About every ten feet you had to cross over, under, or around something and were readily ensnared. Fairly tedious going; fun becomes a challenge.

Day hikers should realize, the park will close at 5:30 pm daily until early January (maybe the 7th).

If you go, please report back on the trail conditions where you went.

Philip Jones
12-12-2006, 19:53
I hiked from Jewell Hollow Overlook (between Stony Man and Mary's Rock) to the Neighbor Mtn. trail (north of Pass Mtn) this past Sunday, and the trail was completely clear (about 9.5 miles). The previous Saturday, I went from the Skyland south entrance to Jewell Hollow. There were a few blowdowns between the two Skyland entrance roads, but that wasn't a big deal. The worst part was an approx. 1/2 mile stretch south of the Crusher Ridge trail. There were numerous blowdowns; in a few spots you have to be careful not to lose the trail when going around them. Before and after that area, the trail was basically clear. All in all, it wasn't as dire as the ranger warned. But that's only 15-16 miles that I've seen since the storm.

Also, for dayhikers, the park closes at 5, I believe, not 5:30.