PDA

View Full Version : When should I do this?

roundroom
12-12-2006, 19:03
Hi,
My name is Rich and I am currently a yound ambitous Junior in high school. I have wanted to hike the trail since my freshmen year and now am seriously debating one question. Should I do it before i head off to college or should I hold off untill I am done with my schooling. I allready have someone money saved for thru hiking and plan on commuting to Western Connecticut State University to save some money rather than pay to go to school out of state. So this way I can afford to thru hike. Thanks for opinions guys
Rich

Brushy Sage
12-12-2006, 19:08
Many peoople hike the trail during natural breaks in their educational process. In your case, between high school graduation and college entrance is such a break. Also a consideration: who is paying for your education, and what do they think of your plan. Some negotiation might be in order. Good luck!!

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 19:10
before college for sure. you may not want to do the college thing if or when you complete a thru-hike. you're young. college can wait. hike!

Blissful
12-12-2006, 19:16
Yeah, my son Paul Bunyan is doing it inbetween HS and community college. He's 16. We also met a thru hiker last year who was doing it at 18, between educational changes.

MOWGLI
12-12-2006, 19:28
I hiked with 3 different 17 year olds in 2000. They all made it to Katahdin.

You might feel a bit out of sorts with the other freshman after hiking the trail. That's about the only down side I can think of.

Mother's Finest
12-12-2006, 19:32
Hi Roundroom,
Charge it now.....do not wait. You can always do it again when you graduate. If you wait you may only have that one chance.

I waited till after college, then I waited till I moved back home from Hawaii, then I got a "real" job. Now I have a wife and my own business and have to wait some more till I sell the business.....

Either way, you have nothing but opportunity in front of you.

peace
mf

roundroom
12-12-2006, 19:57
Thanks for the info guys

Kerosene
12-12-2006, 20:15
I say to go for it if you can afford the time and "opportunity cost". You never know what will crop up after college, and if you miss that window it could be quite awhile before the next one opens up.

I had the luxury of starting out on a 300-mile section (Lee, MA to Gorham, NH) in July of '76 before entering college. Unfortunately I had to get off in Manchester, VT (100 miles) when I pulled my Achilles Tendon trying to extract it from deep mud on a 14-mile day drenched by 14" of rain! I had the opportunity to do another 400 miles the summer after college, but I had the luxury of putting off future employers until Fall because I was an in-demand programmer and had saved enough money with programming jobs through college.

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2006, 20:33
Roundroom:

I know of very few people your age who are even actively CONSIDERING a thru-hike, never mind possessing the maturity or discretion to analyze whether or not their timing is right.

You seem to have things pretty well wired for a 17 year old.

I think you should go. And Wolf is right....college will be there waiting for you, it's not going anywhere.

After all, who knows what'll happen in a few years.....maybe when you are fresh out of college, you'll have other challenges, obligations, relationshops, whatever. You might not get to the Trail then......or ever.

In many cases, I advise young people to wait a bit as I think they might get more out of the trip at 22 or 23, but you seem to be giving this a lot of thought.

At the end of the day, meaning in later years, I've discovered more folks expressing regret for the things they DIDN'T do rather than wonder about the things they did.

I'd go. And let us know what happens.

rickb
12-12-2006, 21:25
I'd go to college.

1. More women in college

2. You may find that your HS year ends in mid June. That may not dovetail with a Northbound hike.

3. One need not attend college 4 years straight thru. Its not a now, or after you have a BS/BA, decision

4. See point number 2

SalParadise
12-12-2006, 22:28
I hiked a good while with a guy just out of high school, a smart guy and a pleasure to hike with. I was really jealous that he picked such a great time to hike the Trail.
What you gain is a lot more self-confidence in doing something so difficult (even if you don't even make it all the way), and you end up that much more mature and experienced heading into school. And heck, maybe it will give you a love for the outdoors and you'll decide to study something in that vain.

Would you plan to go SOBO right after school ended?

but hey, those women in college, every other joker will be approaching them with stories about class or talking about their last party, but you've got good stories about tripping over rattlesnakes or having to scare off a black bear and just being able to walk 2,000 miles. how cool is that.

bfitz
12-12-2006, 23:00
Go before. Otherwise you might end up "taking a break" from classes anyway, and then have to go through all the complications of getting readmitted or whatever later on. You can always hike it again after college if it turns out that's what you should have done!

Flying Monkey
12-12-2006, 23:25
Do it after college. Not doing it between HS and college was a HUGE, HUGE mistake for me. I don't know your situation, but i'm in a program that doesn't allow any time off at all, and i'll have major loans to start paying back right after college. I MIGHT be able to fit it in after school, or in six years after my debt is payed, but right now I have to settle for section-hiking, which is not my goal.

If you truly want to hike now, and you have the availability and resources to do it, there is no reason to defer your happiness. Go for your goals when you have the chance, or you WILL regret it later.

esmithz
12-20-2006, 13:03
Do it after college. But don't wait too long. I attempted a thru hike last year and left trail after 4.5 weeks and 419 miles. The biggest problem for me? timing. I had too many commitments, relationships, projects and other things pulling on me back home that eventually took be off trail. I had been planning it for 2 years. There are some years in my life I really wanted the time away and a 6 month trail adventure seemed perfect. There were many other years when hiking was the last thing I wanted. Unfortunately when the time came for me to leave work and start hiking I really did not want to go. I say for you there is no perfect year. You may want to do a few odd jobs after college and go when you feel ready. Good luck.

humunuku
12-20-2006, 21:10
Yes, what i've learned in my grand ole age of 33, don't put off thing you want to do if you have the option to do it now. You never know what may happen to you by the time your out of college and you may not be able to do it then.

Lyle
12-20-2006, 22:15
No time like the present. If you wait until the perfect time to do a hike, it may never happen. You have to take or make the time if it's important. Life will have a way of becomming more complicated the longer you wait. I didn't start hiking until a cou0ple of years after college, and have always wished I had started sooner. Go for it!! College and a job will be there for the rest of your life.

hopefulhiker
12-20-2006, 22:28
I had to wait 30 years for a chance at thru hike.. Life just gets more complex as you get older..

Jan LiteShoe
12-20-2006, 22:29
Hi,
My name is Rich and I am currently a yound ambitous Junior in high school. I have wanted to hike the trail since my freshmen year and now am seriously debating one question. Should I do it before i head off to college or should I hold off untill I am done with my schooling. I allready have someone money saved for thru hiking and plan on commuting to Western Connecticut State University to save some money rather than pay to go to school out of state. So this way I can afford to thru hike. Thanks for opinions guys
Rich

Awesome! Doing the trail with virgin cartilage and youthful energy? Priceless!
I wish it had occurred to me back in the day.
:)
You will do more maturing/changing/evaluating on the trail than you can possibly know right now/ The whole future might look different from Katahdin. Good luck!

Lone Wolf
12-20-2006, 22:32
Hi,
Rich

You going to college cuz mom and dad want you to?

bigben
12-20-2006, 22:57
When isn't as important as just doing it, and here's what I mean. I was a pretty die hard hiker/camper/outdoorsman when I was your age(Eagle Scout, 2x to Philmont, etc.) I dreamed of doing the AT upon graduation from college(not HS due to playing college football), but I was engaged and SHE wouldn't let me. We broke up 6 months later, I assumed all our "together" bills, worked hard, got "real" jobs, married, had 2 kids, and I still haven't thru-hiked the AT. Actually, I just got back into hiking and the outdoors over the past 3 years after a long hiatus. So now I'm 34 and section hiking it, and it's going to take me a total of 23 years.

So unless you want this to happen to you, set a date in stone and hike it. Then go on with the rest of your life.

Bigben

rafe
12-20-2006, 23:00
Hi,
Rich

I'd say get it out of your system and do it sooner rather than later, but what do I know? A thru-hike takes 4 to 6 months... will you have the time for that, between finishing HS and starting college?

roundroom
12-27-2006, 21:42
thanks guys

Rainman
12-27-2006, 22:19
I planned to thru after High School after being inspired by stories of various camp counselors. I was going to go with several buddies. They all changed their minds and went to college first. It seemed like a logical decision at the time, so I went to college too.

After spending years paying off loans I realized I had no chance at a real income with a History degree, so I went to law school, more loans. After marriage and children I started section hiking. I am now 43. My 8 year old son now wants to thru with me some day. We are planning to do it after he finishes HS. Looking back, it is THE only logical time. After that, the next time is retirement.

This story is very similar to many others in this thread. That should be a good clue to the right answer in itself.

RadioFreq
12-29-2006, 12:37
Since you've got the $ it's best to get out there at the first opportunity before one/all of the 3 Ws make demands on you or your cash. (Women, Wheels, Work...although not necessarily in that order.)

Plus you'll have experience and memories to take with you when you do it again at retirement.

Tree-girl
01-02-2007, 20:14
Not that you haven't got tons of feedback already, but... I completed my thru-hike this past summer, directly after graduating highschool, and enrolled in college this fall. It's definitely possible to graduate highschool before it normally ends, I got out end of february, as did about 3 other thru-hikers I met. I would do it before college, I think it was the best possible thing that I could have done. After that, nothing college has thrown at me seems like a big deal in the slightest. It also served to focus me, and I actually ended up choosing to switch colleges while on the trail and am so thankful that I did. Do now, while you can, you never know what might come up. Jump on the chance.
Good luck!
~Tree-girl

caro
01-02-2007, 20:35
I let the dream go and have always regretted it. Trail journals has at least a couple of families who have done it while still in school. This past year it was the Wanderers, the one I read before them was about a kid called "clueless"?? around 2004? No that is'nt the name. I can't find the name right now. It sounds as if it an amazing growing experience.

maxNcathy
01-02-2007, 21:04
If you can get a friend or two to come along it may be more fun for you.Get a girlfriend who also loves to hike and camp and you will make it all the way.:sun :sun

rafe
01-02-2007, 21:07
Get a girlfriend who also loves to hike and camp and you will make it all the way.:sun :sun

Can I go all the way with you?
-- John Prine