PDA

View Full Version : That Little Something....

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2006, 20:26
On another thread, I think it was the one about the Osprey Atmos 65 backpack, I mentioned that I carried a REALLY big pack, which I do.

This got me thinking.

Everyone's got something they carry, that most folks would either happily go without, or in more extreme circumstances, they'd think you were nuts for bringing it along.

So for those of you who've done long hikes, what's that something that you just won't do without?

In no particular order, the stuff I carry that most folks seem to get by without are a really big pack; bourbon; Camels; at least 2 books all the time; and a ridiculously large spice bag for my cooking.

But I'd be curious about other folks.

JojoSmiley
12-12-2006, 20:33
I carry a book, an ipod, small bible and a camera with lots of bells and whistles.

Big Dawg
12-12-2006, 20:35
My thermarest camp chair. I usually never see people w/ them, but for me it's a must have. Ain't nothin like relaxin back in my camp chair at the end of a long day. Sittin against a log, tree, etc. just don't do it for me. Definately worth the pound in my pack to me.:D

hopefulhiker
12-12-2006, 20:37
I think I was the only one with a front pack, part of the luxury lite pack, the whole way. When I met you Jack in Glencliff, you chuckled about it. "I guess you can get used to anything" you said.

Anyway it helped balance the load and functioned as a slack pack, portable lunch counter, desk, water cooler, and glove compartment. I would use it again on another thru..

Hammock Hanger
12-12-2006, 20:41
ipod, pocketmail I like to listen to books at night (can't read anymore) and I like to journal. Neither item is needed but they are my luxury items.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 20:46
I don't go without 2 cook pots, a book,crossword puzzles, sometimes a fry pan, a Nalgene, am/fm headphones, tent, gummi bears.

Sly
12-12-2006, 20:49
On long hikes, other than what I really need, I'll also carry cigs and bourbon, along with a camera and a mp3 player (used to be a cassette player). Not much else.

Skidsteer
12-12-2006, 20:50
Metamucil.

Skidsteer
12-12-2006, 20:51
...And most of Jack's list with personal variations.

ed bell
12-12-2006, 20:52
I don't go without 2 cook pots, a book,crossword puzzles, sometimes a fry pan, a Nalgene, am/fm headphones, tent, gummi bears.You backpacker, you! Are you crazy?:rolleyes::) Oh, the delights a fry pan can bring.:cool:

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 20:55
You backpacker, you! Are you crazy?:rolleyes::) Oh, the delights a fry pan can bring.:cool:

I like pasta and sauces and cook them seperate. Coming out of towns I pack bacon and eggs and meat and veggies for stir fry. Plus i usually get a bottle of red and put it in my nalgene.

the goat
12-12-2006, 21:01
a nalgene, some bourbon and some smoke too.

i like to carry a six-pack, a steak and several avocados outta town also.

MOWGLI
12-12-2006, 21:05
sometimes a fry pan

I wish I has a fry pan on the JMT this past summer. I would have eaten more than 1 fish if I had.

ed bell
12-12-2006, 21:19
I still remember, to this day, a pan fried steak I enjoyed after a long day. Having the luxury to freeze items before departure opens up a new world.:sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2006, 21:35
We've had to lighten up considerably to keep hiking, but we still carry an ancient aluminum pot - 3.5 qts. It holds enough for two starving dinos and allows enough room to stir the contents thoroughly - something many backpack foods require.

bfitz
12-12-2006, 21:37
Double, double, toil and trouble....

LostInSpace
12-12-2006, 21:39
Tequila, premixed with Triple Sec, and powdered mix to make margies!

rafe
12-12-2006, 21:46
My "little extras" fit in a film can and weigh next to nothing. :) :cool: :) :p But it wouldn't go over well at a church hostel.

Ramble~On
12-12-2006, 21:48
Double, double, toil and trouble....

?
Party till you're seeing double :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2006, 21:56
Spiritwind, I think he was referring to the size of my cooking pot. I've been called a witch or something that rhymes with it a time or two.

bfitz
12-12-2006, 22:00
Fire burn and bong will bubble....

fiddlehead
12-12-2006, 22:06
I've been known to carry a spare lighter. (and a bowl)

Lion King
12-12-2006, 22:08
Nice clothes for town and warm comfy cotton to sleep in, and extra socks...oh and a book or two.

Things I wont do without.

bfitz
12-12-2006, 22:10
I've been known to carry a spare lighter. (and a bowl)
Just in case you run into me (with my little something). That's a smart fiddlehead!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-12-2006, 22:20
::: cough, cough ::: It's getting smoky in here.

smokymtnsteve
12-12-2006, 22:22

bong hits for jesus

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-12-04T144609Z_01_N16367782_RTRUKOC_0_US-COURT-BANNER.xml&src=rss

smokymtnsteve
12-12-2006, 22:22
::: cough, cough ::: It's getting smoky in here.

you rang??

bfitz
12-12-2006, 22:25
bong hits for jesus

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-12-04T144609Z_01_N16367782_RTRUKOC_0_US-COURT-BANNER.xml&src=rss

That's another thread!
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17041

smokymtnsteve
12-12-2006, 22:27
:sun
That's another thread!
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17041

:sun :sun :sun

bfitz
12-12-2006, 22:33
I saw a guy with a cast iron skillet and a bowie knife in SNP a coupla years ago. When I asked him about them he gave me a "what's your point?" kinda look.

Another guy with a big knife like that who turned out to be really cool (his name might have been Ashleigh?) had a hiker come up to the shelter while he was slicing a block of cheese with it. The hiker asked "what's that big knife for?"

He threw it hard so it stuck in the shelter floor and in an ominous voice said "Killing cheese."

ed bell
12-12-2006, 22:39
Speaking of fry pans, there's nothing like a full breakfast in the woods.:sun

rafe
12-12-2006, 22:43

Bong? Nah, too much weight.

bfitz
12-12-2006, 22:49
Bong? Nah, too much weight.Hey, it's my little something.
Everyone's got something they carry, that most folks would either happily go without, or in more extreme circumstances, they'd think you were nuts for bringing it along.That or a big-a$$ bubbler. It's not as big as a tuba.

Blissful
12-12-2006, 22:50
Nice to know other people carry big packs. After trying my umpteenth pack on this past weekenn to try and cut down size and weight (tried the new Osprey Aura, no go), only to have my sciatica act up once more, a big pack right now is my lot. So I will carry it happily but cut down on weight in other areas. Even with the humungo pack weight, I hope to not carry more than 20 lbs. And I think hubby is looking for an ultra light sleeping bag for me for Christmas, he he.

map man
12-12-2006, 22:57
I carry a one liter pee bottle. It's a blue bottle so I don't confuse it with my water bottles!:D I drink a LOT of water during the day, my bladder's not as big as it once was, and I don't like having to get out of my tent in the middle of the night.

Wonder
12-12-2006, 22:58
Bong? Nah, too much weight.
Emptly 20oz soda bottle and a 2 inch one hitter.....nuff said

Wonder
12-12-2006, 23:02
My lux is a natural sponge......compresses down, but holds a whole lotta water for when you just need to scrub down. Also, a pouch of drum, match safe with my "relaxation medication" and above mentioned equiptment, book, and mini tape recorder. I record my friends I meet along the way and my own thoughts. It's really neet to listen to when you get home. Captures it much better then pen and paper.

bfitz
12-12-2006, 23:04
I record my friends I meet along the way and my own thoughts. It's really neet to listen to when you get home. Captures it much better then pen and paper.
That's a sweet idea!

Jim Adams
12-13-2006, 01:47
if i feel like a little weight, a crazy creek is soooo hard to beat at the end of the day but I always have too much camera gear and of couse whiskey.
if you carry enough whiskey or shine, you don't need food, tent, sleeping bag, stove, etc, etc. just good shoes! LOL

geek

Lone Wolf
12-13-2006, 08:27
Wow. Lots of people admitting to carrying dope. I forgot to mention my Glock.

Gray Blazer
12-13-2006, 08:33
I've been known to carry a spare lighter. (and a bowl)Could one of your trail names be "Bogart"?:D

Gray Blazer
12-13-2006, 08:36
Spiritwind, I think he was referring to the size of my cooking pot. I've been called a witch or something that rhymes with it a time or two.
Bigger is better, Mrs D! I, myself, bring my pillow.

rafe
12-13-2006, 08:48

Just curious, Wolf. Hanging out on the trail as much as you do, doesn't it bother you being in the midst of so many left-leaning, PETA-loving, tree-hugging, dope-smoking hippies? :-? :D

Lone Wolf
12-13-2006, 08:51
Just curious, Wolf. Hanging out on the trail as much as you do, doesn't it bother you being in the midst of so many left-leaning, PETA-loving, tree-hugging, dope-smoking hippies? :-? :D

No. Because I know I'm so much more above them physically and spiritually. I feel sorry for them.

Hammock Hanger
12-13-2006, 08:54

Even if it is just in fun, remember we aew a resource site and Boy Scouts and such read here.

Okay, I'm putting the mommy mode away.

chknfngrs
12-13-2006, 09:03
I can't seem to leave home without coffee to swill my AM blues away. I also bring Uno cards. Or Phase 10.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2006, 09:30
.... Boy Scouts and such read here.
Okay, I'm putting the mommy mode away.:eek: ::: off to edit a post or two of my own ::: :eek:
Edited to add - I rarely mention drugs or alcohol as I don't use either, but I do make a joke here once in a while I would not make in front of my younger grandkids.

Peaks
12-13-2006, 09:50
Everyone has their own. I usually carry a small paperback book, maps, spare lighter, journal notebook, pocket size camera, first aid supplies, filter, thermarest.

Hammock Hanger
12-13-2006, 10:56
:eek: ::: off to edit a post or two of my own ::: :eek:
Edited to add - I rarely mention drugs or alcohol as I don't use either, but I do make a joke here once in a while I would not make in front of my younger grandkids.

FD: I've posted my own share of "off color" things myself!!:rolleyes:

Guess I was just in a mommy mode this morning. Sue

DawnTreader
12-13-2006, 11:03
I too, carry the standard extras.. At any given time I'll have an ounce of Drum rolling tobacco, a bunch of papers. I ran out once and had to roll a smoke in a leaf of birch bark ::found on the ground of course:: a flask, an mp3 player, and don't forget Mr. Bojengals, and a little green to pack him up..

max patch
12-13-2006, 11:11
On my thru I carried at least 2 paperbacks.

On section hikes makers mark and a backpackers pillow. My wife has one of those thermarest chair thingys. My boys take a nerf football.

Just Jeff
12-13-2006, 11:13
JetBoil instead of a lighter stove. Fresh fruit. Journal. Camera. No dope. Rarely alcohol.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2006, 11:23
FD: I've posted my own share of "off color" things myself!!:rolleyes: Guess I was just in a mommy mode this morning. SueI love you, Sue, for being a real person. I really will stop and consider if I would want my 12 to 16 yo grandchild reading my comments before posting them on the main board in the future. It honestly never crossed my mind that young teens might read here. I know older teens read here, but I feel older teens do not need as much protection as younger teens and children.

TJ aka Teej
12-13-2006, 14:53
Radio, camera, journal, pad, pencils and water colors, and some real food for the first night like frozen marinated steak tips and some peppers and onions. Depending where I'm going, I'll bring a fishing rod and what I need to cook the trout.

TJ aka Teej
12-13-2006, 14:55
It honestly never crossed my mind that young teens might read here.

My 13 yo daughter reads here, mostly the female and sobo forums. She's planning a thru between HS and Dartmouth.:D

TurkeyBacon
12-13-2006, 15:10
I carried a spice kit the whole way. Pots with a pan as the lid are brilliant. Fleece pants and a fleece pullover the entire trail. My radio was nice and got the best reception on top of Katahdin.
Now that I do short hikes with my wife, the chair kit and a candle lantern are required for her. Mini wine bottles are real nice when doing overnighters.
TB

rafe
12-13-2006, 15:49
My 13 yo daughter reads here, mostly the female and sobo forums. She's planning a thru between HS and Dartmouth.:D

So she's got... 5 years to plan the trip? Man, I thought I was anal.

Blissful
12-13-2006, 15:57
Even if it is just in fun, remember we aew a resource site and Boy Scouts and such read here.

Okay, I'm putting the mommy mode away.

Thanks. Appreciate this as my son surfs these forums quite a bit and I have found several threads talking about using drugs (not just one thread). If we could NOT talk about stuff like that on the threads, or move that kind to the sensitive forums, that would be very much appreciated.

Nean
12-13-2006, 16:02
2 of the worst, most addictive drugs in the world are Alcohol and nicotine. If the goverment didn't make so much money (bottom line) off of them they would be illegal too. If you drink, you are a druggie!:D

rafe
12-13-2006, 16:07
Thanks. Appreciate this as my son surfs these forums quite a bit and I have found several threads talking about using drugs (not just one thread). If we could NOT talk about stuff like that on the threads, or move that kind to the sensitive forums, that would be very much appreciated.

You don't think your son's going to hear about drugs in other ways? Is he home-schooled? Doesn't he have classmates? How long do you think you can "protect" him?

max patch
12-13-2006, 16:12

Cool! So in 5 years or so we'll all have a place to crash in Hanover?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2006, 16:29
Moved to another thread

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2006, 16:31
Cool! So in 5 years or so we'll all have a place to crash in Hanover?Prophesy - I see TJ standing outside of a dorm with a big sharp sword in 5 years.

Nean
12-13-2006, 16:51
Her son is reading here to learn about hiking - meaning we are in a teaching role. I wouldn't want my youngster's teacher proclaiming that drug use was OK (regardless of what the teacher's personal feelings on the subject were). I imagine Blissful shares my concerns.

Teach the truth.:-? People DO use drugs on the trail, legal and not. :eek: Not presenting the facts teaches nothing. :( Teach and trust is the best policy IMO- BUT! -YMMV ;)

Hammock Hanger
12-13-2006, 17:13
I didn't mean for Jack's legitimate post to be hijacked into a "this is life let the drugs role commentary." Sorry Jack. Seems that things just go south sometime, but I guess I started it. Sue

Nean
12-13-2006, 17:21
I didn't mean for Jack's legitimate post to be hijacked into a "this is life let the drugs role commentary." Sorry Jack. Seems that things just go south sometime, but I guess I started it. Sue

I didn't mean, say, or imply that we should "let the drugs role":( Sorry Sue. Maybe honesty isn't the best policy?:confused:

max patch
12-13-2006, 17:53
Prophesy - I see TJ standing outside of a dorm with a big sharp sword in 5 years.

If he lets me by I'll promise not to bring up President Gingrich while I'm at Dartmouth.

rafe
12-13-2006, 18:11
If he lets me by I'll promise not to bring up President Gingrich while I'm at Dartmouth.

Lord, if we ever get "President Gingrich" I'm gonna volunteer for a winter hike in Maine with Gardenville... and hope to die. :eek:

TJ aka Teej
12-13-2006, 18:26
Prophesy - I see TJ standing outside of a dorm with a big sharp sword in 5 years.

:D Probably!

bfitz
12-13-2006, 19:31
I teach what I believe.

Blissful
12-13-2006, 22:03
You don't think your son's going to hear about drugs in other ways? Is he home-schooled? Doesn't he have classmates? How long do you think you can "protect" him?

This has nothing to do with whether he hears about it or not. Of course he has heard about it. He doesn't live in a bubble. This is about supposed "grown ups" advocating illegal drug use on these forums where teens hang out and are influenced. It's about whether this is the best use of these forums, advocating illegal drug use that messes up kids' lives (I know personally of a teen boy using drugs and now wants to quit HS and everything else). It reflects badly on WB and the hiking community. It's no different than if one advocates other illegal activity - like stealing and killing. Where does it stop?

If you want to do drugs, that's up to you. But you don't need to go bragging about it on these kind of forums where teens and other kids are. Go hang out at the sensitive issue - thick skin forums. Isn't that why we have them?

fiddlehead
12-13-2006, 22:08
Sorry Jack, you had a nice thread goin.
Hikers sure get along better when they're around each other.
Too many whiners anymore. you can tell it's off-hiking season

The Weasel
12-13-2006, 22:12
Sorry Jack, you had a nice thread goin.

Yes, and so it happens again.

The Weasel

bfitz
12-13-2006, 23:35
No one's bragging about anything. A question was asked, and answered.

Some folks think differently than others, and that diversity is reflected in such answers in forums like this and out on the trail itself, as well as the wider world. The original thread starter mentioned his "little somethings" and no one castigated him for those. That kind of disrespect for one viewpoint is as insulting as disrespect for any other. Kids are way smarter than you might give them credit for, and I wouldn't say anything here that I wouldn't say in front of my own little cousins and my own kids when I have them. I'm sure you guys will consider me a terrible parent, but I have the right to say what I believe and to teach it to my kids, regardless. You can always forbid them from reading such things if you fear it's effect on their impressionable minds.

I hope that kid gets back in school, because he won't be able to afford the party, much less a long hike, if he doesn't learn how to make a living.

bfitz
12-13-2006, 23:39
For the record, I don't usually carry booze or tobacco on hikes.

The Weasel
12-13-2006, 23:44
My 'strange something' that's heavier than I wish is a small Bible. I'm not much of a Bible-thumper, but it just seems that the quiet of the woods is both a good time to read it, as well as - on a long hike - finally the chance to do it cover-to-cover. I don't show it off, much; we Episcopalians are a bit shy about such things.

The Weasel

the goat
12-13-2006, 23:50
For the record, I don't usually carry booze or tobacco on hikes.

what a straight-edge, killjoy, prude!:D

Bravo
12-13-2006, 23:59
I like sunflower seeds, cigs, tequila, clean and dry sleep clothes, and small pillow.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-14-2006, 00:02
Moved to another thread

bfitz
12-14-2006, 00:29
::: I'm channeling the day when I was raising kids :::
There is a reason that we are allowed to restrict the rights of children and make rules and decisions for them... the underlying reason is also the reason that they don't need to be doing drugs and alcohol as youngsters.
Exactly what parents are for. I'd restrict the hell outta my bairns, just like my folks did.

When they grow up, they can decide for themselves what substances to use, how much to use and they will assume all risks and responsibilities that go with the use. However, as long as I am responsibile for whatever damage they do and for their safety and well-being, please refrain from encouraging them to use intoxicating substances. It's hard enough to get them to adulthood in one piece without the added pressure.
That's their parents job, not mine.

Drinking and smoking cause far more harm in far more lives than pot. Mentioning those doesn't bring down any wrath. Alcoholism and drug abuse are one thing, a great scourge on society. Herbs are something else entirely. Prejudice against potsmokers is just that, prejudice. And like all prejudice, it arises from ignorance and seems like nothing less than natural law to those prejudiced.

Blissful
12-14-2006, 00:30
No one's bragging about anything. A question was asked, and answered.

Some folks think differently than others, and that diversity is reflected in such answers in forums like this and out on the trail itself, as well as the wider world. The original thread starter mentioned his "little somethings" and no one castigated him for those. That kind of disrespect for one viewpoint is as insulting as disrespect for any other.

Call me disrespectful and insulting about this issue (I'll wear the badge openly), but I think it's absolutely amazing that people will stand up for illegal drug use on the trail and even call it "diversity". Wowsie.:eek:

Anyway - not to get in it here on this thread - but I hope The Weasel will talk about the law having to do with hikers who carry and use illegal drugs, esp around minors at the shelters. We had several cases of that at the shelters and my son was there witnessing it. Sure several of you talk about on WB that we should let the poor kids think for themselves and not to shelter them. But please tell me what to do when hikers are doing illegal activity in the AT shelters, without a care either that teens are present. I suppose we should let our teens inhale and then decide?

bfitz
12-14-2006, 00:39
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19613

Bravo
12-14-2006, 00:40
But please tell me what to do when hikers are doing illegal activity in the AT shelters, without a care either that teens are present. I suppose we should let our teens inhale and then decide?

Well illegal or not it would be nice if people were more thoughtful of others in shelters. Take the law away and drugs in a shelter around minors isn't much different than heavy drinking, yelling profanity, etc.

But if it happens there's nothing wrong with saying, "Hey Cheech, ya mind taking that somewhere else?"

the goat
12-14-2006, 00:43
But please tell me what to do when hikers are doing illegal activity in the AT shelters, without a care either that teens are present.

pitch a tent?

Bravo
12-14-2006, 00:48
pitch a tent?
I suggested something different but that's a very good option too.

The Weasel
12-14-2006, 00:54
Anyway - not to get in it here on this thread - but I hope The Weasel will talk about the law having to do with hikers who carry and use illegal drugs, esp around minors at the shelters. We had several cases of that at the shelters and my son was there witnessing it.

Bliss...

I have absolutely no interest in getting the crap beat out of me again by starting a discussion on, of all things, drug use. I'm the guy who didn't find the humor in being called a crack user - I'm told now it was "just kidding" - I got the living bejabbers beat out of me here, with just about nobody sticking up for me.

I may look stupid, and I fall down sometimes without any help, but I'm not so brain damaged as to want to have it happen all over again.

As for you, my advice is to shut up about it. No matter how gentle you try to say anything, here's what will happen: (1) You'll be goaded big time; (2) you'll be mocked, belittled and attacked; (3) you'll become a pariah; (4) you'll be told it was all your fault. So my advice is, do what you gotta do, when you gotta do it.

Thanks for the invite. I appreciate the offer, but I've already been hung a couple times here, and I think I've enjoyed it about as much as I can.

But I like your spirit!

The Weasel (YOU can call me "Rusty" if you want)

Wanderingson
12-14-2006, 02:28
I have been reading this thread and have found the entertainment value worth the price of admision.

It is amazing how each of us has differing opinions on most subjects. This forum is no diferent that everyday life, but folks typically express their opinions a little more freely. I could sit back, close my eyes and imagine all of us chatting away about this around a campfire. Hmmmm, somehow i figure the conversation just may not be as lively.

Now for me to go back to the orginalal thought on this thread. I typically carry some type of "luxury" item on any hike. I just it depends on the type and length of hike. I always carry my American Flag (3" X 5"). Other luxuries depends on what strikes me. I had a few buddies a while back who would always se who would earn the coveted "style points" for any given hike. This proved to be a lot of fun to see who would bring what.

Now for the contoversial subject of the youngsters reading this forum. As a parent, I am soley responsible for teaching my children values, right and wrong as well as facing challenging decisions in life. I choose not to shelter my three youngens, but educate them that adults make adult decisions that will effect them for the rest of their lives. Some of these decisions are good choices, others are not.

My children turn on the news and see every night examples of people making decisions--good and bad. These are opportunities for me as a parent to discuss and relate my exteriences with them. In the end, they will make their own decisions--right and wrong--good and bad. Either way, that is how they will learn about the life ahead of them.

StarLyte
12-14-2006, 07:49
I have been reading this thread and have found the entertainment value worth the price of admision.

It is amazing how each of us has differing opinions on most subjects. This forum is no diferent that everyday life, but folks typically express their opinions a little more freely. I could sit back, close my eyes and imagine all of us chatting away about this around a campfire. Hmmmm, somehow i figure the conversation just may not be as lively.

You should come to a hiker event when you get back to the states.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-14-2006, 08:25
Moved to another thread

Jim Adams
12-14-2006, 09:27
parents need to wake up! you are so worried about this at shelters. check out your kids school bus stop sometime!
geek

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 09:43
for you dopers http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2923647.stm

Blissful
12-14-2006, 09:44
Bliss...

I have absolutely no interest in getting the crap beat out of me again by starting a discussion on, of all things, drug use. I'm the guy who didn't find the humor in being called a crack user - I'm told now it was "just kidding" - I got the living bejabbers beat out of me here, with just about nobody sticking up for me.

I may look stupid, and I fall down sometimes without any help, but I'm not so brain damaged as to want to have it happen all over again.

As for you, my advice is to shut up about it. No matter how gentle you try to say anything, here's what will happen: (1) You'll be goaded big time; (2) you'll be mocked, belittled and attacked; (3) you'll become a pariah; (4) you'll be told it was all your fault. So my advice is, do what you gotta do, when you gotta do it.

Thanks for the invite. I appreciate the offer, but I've already been hung a couple times here, and I think I've enjoyed it about as much as I can.

But I like your spirit!

The Weasel (YOU can call me "Rusty" if you want)

Thanks for your post.

I just find it amazing that people are proudly boasting and / or advocating illegal drug activity for all eyes to see, no matter how young or old those eyes are. And who cares if one is a teen or not, it's still wrong and guess what - you get arrested for it. You get a criminal record for it. You spend jail time for it. But when people such as you or me or someone else (like Dino, Hammock, etc) are trying to do what is right - or like I said, politely asking that such talk be moved to the thick skinned forum (as you can see, I too espouse free speech, no matter how unsightly), they get verbally punched, told you're a bad parent for not letting your kids "experience" the criminal life and make their own decision whether to be one or not, or told to stay in a tent so criminals can have free reign of the shelters.

I can see now why another poster a few week back was so disillusioned by WB and hence the AT. What worse taste can one have than this? But know too that not everyone is like that. And the AT is a magnificent place to be. That's what I like to think about.

Anyway, I need to take a break from this site. So drug advocates, puff or shoot away.

As for me, I'll use my cell phone at the shelters when I can get a signal and openly preach on the trail how much I love God and He loves us using the Bible I like to carry in my backpack...
(hey, I leave getting back on topic, Jack!). :banana

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 09:47

As for me, I'll use my cell phone at the shelters when I can get a signal and openly preach on the trail how much I love God and He loves us using the Bible I like to carry in my backpack...

Good for you. That doesn't bother me at all.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 09:54
help for dopers www.cannabisaddicts.com/?hop=bizstarter

rafe
12-14-2006, 10:22

I won't smoke anything illegal in your presence, and I'll thank you not to preach at me, or anyone else, while on the trail. Discrete use of cell phones (eg., alone at a shelter, or away from the shelter) doesn't bother me much. The key is respect.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 10:29
I won't smoke anything illegal in your presence, and I'll thank you not to preach at me, or anyone else, while on the trail. Discrete use of cell phones (eg., alone at a shelter, or away from the shelter) doesn't bother me much. The key is respect.

What's the big deal about someone using a cell phone in or around a shelter? It's a dirty, wooden box crammed with people talking and making noise. Somebody talking on a cell is no biggie. Last year at Hawk Mtn. shelter there were about 30 people at the site. most had cells, they were all checking for service and some got service and were making calls. Pretty funny. One gal had a sattelite phone. It's part of the AT now.

rafe
12-14-2006, 10:44
What's the big deal about someone using a cell phone in or around a shelter?

I don't get as bent about it as some. I carry a cell now, and I have used it at shelters, and once even in company -- but I asked permission first (there was one other person in the shelter.) I don't think it's asking too much to walk away from the shelter a few dozen yards to make a call.

It's just one of those "townie" things that I'd like to see minimized on the trail. I really think cell phones are heavily overused these days, and not just on the trail. I'm carrying mine mostly at my wife's insistence -- but I can't really blame her. I've used it to arrange for trailhead pickup, etc.

I remember arriving at RPH and "Sen. Daniel" was on the phone, ordering pizzas. It was rather amusing. But RPH is really a very weird shelter to begin with -- the sense of wilderness is completely lacking.

If we bring all of our "town" habits to the trail with us, the trail becomes that much less special. Just the way I see it, Wolf.

DawnTreader
12-14-2006, 12:38
Thanks for your post.

I just find it amazing that people are proudly boasting and / or advocating illegal drug activity for all eyes to see, no matter how young or old those eyes are. And who cares if one is a teen or not, it's still wrong and guess what - you get arrested for it. You get a criminal record for it. You spend jail time for it. But when people such as you or me or someone else (like Dino, Hammock, etc) are trying to do what is right - or like I said, politely asking that such talk be moved to the thick skinned forum (as you can see, I too espouse free speech, no matter how unsightly), they get verbally punched, told you're a bad parent for not letting your kids "experience" the criminal life and make their own decision whether to be one or not, or told to stay in a tent so criminals can have free reign of the shelters.

I can see now why another poster a few week back was so disillusioned by WB and hence the AT. What worse taste can one have than this? But know too that not everyone is like that. And the AT is a magnificent place to be. That's what I like to think about.

Anyway, I need to take a break from this site. So drug advocates, puff or shoot away.

I'ts truley a sad country we live in when, by free choice, some of us decide that they, and millions of other stand up citizens of the USA, would like to smoke a bit of gods green earth, and get called out as criminals. This may be the bottom line to you, but for the rest of us criminals, it truley throws a wrench in the process of change. The government upholds this nonsencical law, and i'd even be willing to bet that more people in this country drink and drive on a daily basis then smoke pot.. period. And who cares if younger people are aware.. They will be the people that advocate change in the future, so they should be aware, otherwise we as a nation are in serious trouble. Peace

StarLyte
12-14-2006, 12:44
The ONLY acceptance here is accepting that everyone HIKES THEIR OWN HIKE.

Everyone is different, your spouse, your partner, your kids, your neighbors.

We're all different.

How boring life would be if we knew what to anticipate.

rswanson
12-14-2006, 13:12
What's the big deal about someone using a cell phone in or around a shelter?...It's part of the AT now.
I'm thinking pot has been part of the AT long before cell phones were. Just an observation, not an advocation.

bfitz
12-14-2006, 15:10
It's GOOD for you. Prevents CANCER. Helps Diabetics.

Reposting links....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=000EA0BF-1BE4-1121-927783414B7F4945

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=38547

I think it helps stabilize blood sugar.

And relieves stress. And provides a fun buzz far less debilitating or pain inducing tha liquor, with wich it mixes well, if you must mix, far better than valium, sleeping pills and what not.

I can't say enough good about weed. It's one of my favorite things.

Oh, and hiking and weed go together like sunshine and daydreams.LW check out how many schizos smoke cigs (about 90% of them) the correlation is reverse, not caused by cigs, alleviated. I imagine something similiar w/ cannabis. Besides, I'm already crazy and don't mind the cancer preventive properties, as well as diabetic, so...the stuff is GOOD for you. Kinda like booze in moderation, as the study I posted in another thread has indicated. Kids...don't be prejudiced by propaganda, keep an open mind and look into things for yourself....

SGT Rock
12-14-2006, 15:13
Can I interject here for a sec.

I got a couple of comments from people that would hope we can let this thread get back to talking about what it was originaly intended too. Take the talk of cancer, cigarets, and canabis to the off topic forum please.

The management.

bfitz
12-14-2006, 15:20
Sorry....it could be removed and moved here....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=254&highlight=pot+hippies

We're not making it easy on you guys this week, are we?:o

SGT Rock
12-14-2006, 15:20
Thanks Sarge,:clap

Here is what I like to add to my not so big pack:

Real coffee. No instant or tea bad suff.

Adult beverages (not always and not a lot)

Good food, this can include things like real bread, fresh fruits, veggies, or meats.

An Mp3 player with some good tunes to read or write by.

Sometimes a book when I go solo. The problem is I often find myself rushing to get to camp to read some more or not going to sleep when I should because I can't put the book down.

bfitz
12-14-2006, 15:24
Sometimes a book when I go solo. The problem is I often find myself rushing to get to camp to read some more or not going to sleep when I should because I can't put the book down.
I love little reading spots on the trail (like sun-soaked rocks in a creek...) and always end up stopping in the afternoon for a few pages and end up spending a bunch of time and scurrying to catch up at the end of the day...

rswanson
12-14-2006, 15:39
It's just one of those "townie" things that I'd like to see minimized on the trail. I really think cell phones are heavily overused these days, and not just on the trail. I'm carrying mine mostly at my wife's insistence -- but I can't really blame her. I've used it to arrange for trailhead pickup, etc.
Forget dope, I think they're putting something in the cell phones! Virtually no one had one a decade ago, myself included. But now if I leave the house without it I somehow feel unprepared to deal with the wide, scary world. Ludicrous, I know.

When I go hiking solo, sometimes I find myself wishing I'll 'accidentally' drop the thing. Of course, if that happened, my wife would have every park ranger in the state looking for me when I fail to report in at 0800 hours from checkpoint Zebra.

bfitz
12-14-2006, 15:41
My cell phone has saved lives. And brought pizza to me in hours of dire need. I would carry a cell phone, or some type of telecomunications device...I want a phone/camera/pocket- pc- thingy when a really good one comes out.

SteveJ
12-14-2006, 18:35
<clip>Sometimes a book when I go solo. The problem is I often find myself rushing to get to camp to read some more or not going to sleep when I should because I can't put the book down.

Same here, Sgt. Rock. One of the joys of the hammock, tho, is that reclining comfortably as I read, I sometimes wake up several hours later with a book on my chest and dead batteries in my head lamp! One reason I keep an extra small led light in the net pocket on my ridgeline....

other luxuries I carry (altho', I haven't done a LD hike yet):

- adult beverage (if I'm not w/ scouts)
- a good stogie, and usually one to share (ditto)
- good coffee
- if it's cold and i'm carrying a thermarest, my TR chair kit

Steve

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2006, 19:00
Wow. An interesting study of "thread drift."

Let's try again:

For those of you who have done long hikes, what do you carry with you that most folks would consider a needless luxury, even if other folks might comment or tease you about it?

This was, for a brief period, a kind of interesting discussion, and it'd be nice to return to it, if nobody minds. :D

Mother's Finest
12-14-2006, 19:43
I will bring it back on topic....

1. small pillow

2. my medicine. this just happens to be the very stuff that others were talking about. unfortunately for me, I live in a state where my medicine is illegal. Not too much compassion here on the east coast when it comes to cannabis. on the positive side, I am a clean cut, otherwise law abiding individual. i blend in with all the other "right" thinking citizens of these great United States. I am even a good capitalist who creates employment and pays his taxes.

3. never carry any type of hot beverage mixer, no coffee, no tea, no hot chocolate. I like my water clear and cold.

peace
mf

Big Daddy D
12-14-2006, 19:52
JT,

For me also a big external frame backpack (not necessarily heavy), pocketmail, mini FM radio, small hip pad for nights, spices for mashed taters, coffee, and weather radio for winter.

ALL the rest is just weight!!
Big Daddy D

Sleepy the Arab
12-14-2006, 21:21
My big flippin' K2 Shortbed. It's a frame pack, and roughly as wide as Baltimore Jack's pack is high. Yeah, there are lighter, more svelt packs on the market, but it's the best pack I've used in terms of comfort and packing. It's been beat to heck (somewhere around 5000 miles) and I should probably retire it but I can't bare the thought of never hiking with it again.

People also seem pretty amazed that I carry a Dragonfly stove, but I'm not enamored with it as my pack. I'd swap it out should I happen to obtain a cheap (free!) Jetboil.

Wonder
12-14-2006, 23:21
I love little reading spots on the trail (like sun-soaked rocks in a creek...) and always end up stopping in the afternoon for a few pages and end up spending a bunch of time and scurrying to catch up at the end of the day...

I would not suggest leaving town having started a Dan Brown book. I made it to a shelter 4 miles out......and stayed till I finished that dam book!

Almost There
12-15-2006, 00:02
Extra set of clothes, I like to have clean clothes to put on while washing other clothes. Ipod with music and books on it. Nalgenes, Fresh Fruit, Fresh food when I can get it. A Knife, a whole roll of toilet paper still on the roll, never know when the Big D is gonna hit. I guess whatever I think I need I carry, oh yeah, and my camera. Beverages...can't go without it. For St Patty's day two years ago I went out with a buddy starting his 2nd thru, we each had about 70lbs. Full bags of Oreos, I had a liter of SoCo, and he had a 4pack of Guinness Cans. It was great, and we still made it to Neel's in 2 days. I also always carry a liner I hate when I get mud and crap in my sleeping bag.

smokymtnsteve
12-18-2006, 22:30

ok LW~U can admit it too..

but gotta tell U I've never heard it called Glock before;)