PDA

View Full Version : Length of trekking poles

steve hiker
06-04-2003, 01:10
How long are your trekking poles, how tall are you, and are your poles long enough? I'm deciding between the Leki Ultralite Ti Air Ergo at 52 inches (14 oz/pair) and the Komperdell Titanals at 56 inches (18 oz/pair). I'm 5'8" so perhaps the Lekis would be long enough, but want some comments before I buy.

Also how do you like these poles in general?

Youngblood
06-04-2003, 07:38
I'm 6' and normally set my hiking poles to 125 cm, or about 50". The only times I used longer adjustments were in some very difficult descends in the White Mountains on the AT, where I would occasionally adjust them to their maximum length. Other than that, the only other length issue that I can recall is how short they are when collapsed and I want to stowe them on my pack.

Cedar Tree
06-04-2003, 09:46
I'm also 6' and I set my poles at 48 inches. I have a cheap pair of poles I bought off ebay. I wish now I would have gone on and bought Lekis. I had to super glue mine at 48 inches because they were slipping. I recommend Lekis simply because you can get them worked on at Trail Days for free.

DebW
06-04-2003, 11:43
If you might want to use the same poles for cross-country skiing, make sure they come up to your armpits. This is usually 10 cm longer than most people would use for hiking. It's really convenient to just change baskets and use the same poles for summer and winter.

Don
06-04-2003, 13:00
IF you're using them as recommended -- set at a height that leaves your elbow at about 90 degrees -- either pole would be fine. However, as DebW points out, the extra length increases the versaility of the poles: extra length for steep descents or for extra balance on stream crossings, extra height when using them to pitch tarps, or for the 100 other things you will end up using your poles to do...

stranger
06-05-2003, 20:54
There is really no correct way to set your poles...I prefer to have them pretty low compared to what most manufacturers recommend. I usually have them set to what is comfortable for climbs...and just palm the top of the grip on descents, this also puts less strain on your rists when descending.

As far as companies go...I have alot of experience with Leki and would recommend them any day of the week. Great people and products, good customer service and understand the needs of long distance hikers.

Tabasco
01-31-2008, 18:21
What do you say L. Wolf? How long should they be?

Figured I'd beat you to an old thread dredge.

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2008, 19:21
LW says we're weenies for using poles. I think he's right; how'd I get there?

I was at the gym the other day using a machine, basically a "revolving staircase". Of course I don't use my hiking poles on that machine, but it does have handles on either side. I noticed my hands were constantly gripping them, I would then take them off, but unconsciously they would go back.
Why is this, I wondered and I came to the conclusion that it was because it helped me keep my balance, if I didn't use it my core muscles had to be used, pretty tiring for an hour on that machine.

So when he says we're weenies, he may have a point.

Mother's Finest
01-31-2008, 19:47
Mine are bigger than yours....

Critterman
01-31-2008, 21:03
How long are your trekking poles, how tall are you, and are your poles long enough? I'm deciding between the Leki Ultralite Ti Air Ergo at 52 inches (14 oz/pair) and the Komperdell Titanals at 56 inches (18 oz/pair). I'm 5'8" so perhaps the Lekis would be long enough, but want some comments before I buy.

Also how do you like these poles in general?

I have the same Leki poles , I am 5'11" and they are plenty long enough and I really like them.

gungho
02-01-2008, 00:44
LW says we're weenies for using poles. I think he's right; how'd I get there?

I was at the gym the other day using a machine, basically a "revolving staircase". Of course I don't use my hiking poles on that machine, but it does have handles on either side. I noticed my hands were constantly gripping them, I would then take them off, but unconsciously they would go back.
Why is this, I wondered and I came to the conclusion that it was because it helped me keep my balance, if I didn't use it my core muscles had to be used, pretty tiring for an hour on that machine.

So when he says we're weenies, he may have a point.

Not Necessarily,somepeople rely on Hiking poles because they have bad knees or need that extra support to help you along the tough stretches