PDA

View Full Version : April and November

maxNcathy
12-13-2006, 10:26
Where I live in Ontario on the 45th parallel April and November are transition months between my outdoor activities of snowsports and water sports.April tends to be wet and muddy and November tends to be wet, cold, and windy.

I am retired so am free to leave for these times. My wife and I backpacked for the first time ever near Damascus this past April.We really liked it and experienced all kinds of weather.

So instead of hanging around home I am going to try hiking the AT this coming year from about March 19 until about May 5. The last week my wife will join me.I will start at Springer and we will finish somewhere up about Erwin.

Any of You folks want to join me to escape the lowlands for the highlands to put some adventure into the months of April and possibly November?

PM me if interested. I am a retired teacher, not judgmental, upbeat and easy-going.

If I like the section from Springer to Damascus I will hike this section each year until I tire of it.

Sandalwood

maxNcathy
12-13-2006, 14:23
Let me ask you folks who are familiar with the AT from Springer to Damascus:
If due to time constraints you had to miss about 80miles of the Trail what section or sections would you not hike?...areas you think less interesting than the rest of the Trail from Springer to Damascus.
Thanks

max patch
12-13-2006, 14:29
I'd skip the GSMNP which is about 70 miles. Not because because the trail is less interesting -- it isn't -- but solely because of the rules and restrictions which are in place.

rafe
12-13-2006, 14:29
If due to time constraints you had to miss about 80miles of the Trail what section or sections would you not hike?...areas you think less interesting than the rest of the Trail from Springer to Damascus.
Thanks

That feels like "Survivor." You know, when a certain chunk of trail gets voted off the island. :( Youch. I for one would not be willing to make that call.

Ender
12-13-2006, 14:30
I'd skip the Smokies, and go back to do it when there aren't as many thru-hikers there. It kinda becomes a bottleneck area due to camping restrictions.

Philip Jones
12-13-2006, 14:32
I loved everything from Springer to Roan Mountain. 19E would be a good place to stop, if you can't go all the way to Damascus. Then, if you have extra time, you could jump up to the Grayson Highlands.

max patch
12-13-2006, 14:39
Then, if you have extra time, you could jump up to the Grayson Highlands.

Now thats a good point. Coming from Ontario, it would be a real shame to be "that close" and miss the ponies. At the very least, do a dayhike. Out and back or a loop using the old AT.

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 09:11
I'd skip the GSMNP which is about 70 miles. Not because because the trail is less interesting -- it isn't -- but solely because of the rules and restrictions which are in place.

Thanks, Max Patch
I plan to tent away from others because my family all say that I am a loud snorer.The question is, would it be more dangerous for me to slealth camp in the Smokies or sleep in the shelters with an angry mob?? haha
Sandalwood

I am thinking of taking your advice.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 09:12
I would surely stealth camp if I were you.

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 09:13
That feels like "Survivor." You know, when a certain chunk of trail gets voted off the island. :( Youch. I for one would not be willing to make that call.

I know what you mean.

Who will be voted off tonight?

Who will be The Ultimate Survivor....Sundra??

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 09:17
I'd skip the Smokies, and go back to do it when there aren't as many thru-hikers there. It kinda becomes a bottleneck area due to camping restrictions.

Hi Ender,

Is camping out dangerous because of bears? How big of fine would you get from the Ranger??
How much money is a permit and where can you get a permit? Online??

I may skip the Smokies as you suggest and hike them in November.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 09:19
Hi Ender,

Is camping out dangerous because of bears? How big of fine would you get from the Ranger??
How much money is a permit and where can you get a permit? Online??

I may skip the Smokies as you suggest and hike them in November.

Rangers don't hike the trails. Permits are free.

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 09:25
I loved everything from Springer to Roan Mountain. 19E would be a good place to stop, if you can't go all the way to Damascus. Then, if you have extra time, you could jump up to the Grayson Highlands.
Hi Philip Jones
This past April my wife and I hiked 42 miles south back to Damascus and we really enjoyed The Grayson Highlands. Maybe Cathy will want to go there again. I will ask her.
If she doesn't I could stop at 19E then skip ahead to Kincorra and hike with Cathy north to Damascus. 50 miles is all she has time to do and her knees are not strong.

Thanks, Sandalwood

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 09:30
Rangers don't hike the trails. Permits are free.

Hi Lone Wolf,

Where/when can you get a permit?

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 09:34
Would it be difficult to get a ride from Fontana to the north end of the Smokies if I decided to skip hiking the Smokies? Anyone there that would shuttle me north?

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 09:37
Hi Lone Wolf,

Where/when can you get a permit?

here you go www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 09:39
Would it be difficult to get a ride from Fontana to the north end of the Smokies if I decided to skip hiking the Smokies? Anyone there that would shuttle me north?

Yes. Jeff Hoch of The Hike Inn near Fontana does shuttles. #828-479-3677 for info.

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 09:47
Yes. Jeff Hoch of The Hike Inn near Fontana does shuttles. #828-479-3677 for info.

Thanks, Lone Wolf. And thanks for the link above too.n

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 09:55
I would surely stealth camp if I were you.

LW

Any ideas on this you could give me?? I would be hiking about 12 miles per day in second week of April.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 09:58
I generally just tent near the shelters but i have tented in the woods past shelters a mile or two. Eat dinner at the shelter and move on for the night.

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 10:15
I generally just tent near the shelters but i have tented in the woods past shelters a mile or two. Eat dinner at the shelter and move on for the night.
Lone Wolf,
That sounds good. Thanks.
Have you had any bear encounters while tenting?

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 10:23
Lone Wolf,
That sounds good. Thanks.
Have you had any bear encounters while tenting?

Never had a bear encounter. I sleep with my food.

tiamalle
12-14-2006, 10:29
ThanksMax n Cathy,what part of Ontario are you from?

Gray Blazer
12-14-2006, 10:33
Just because you haven't had a bear encounter doesn't necessarily mean you won't. My ex-wife and I never had food or even chewing gum in the tent and one night a bear tried to come in. He ripped the side I was sleeping on. I'm usually a passive guy, but, don't mess with me when I'm sleeping. I beat on the bear and he took off. No brag, just fact.

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 12:52
Max n Cathy,what part of Ontario are you from?

Hi tiamalle,

We live along the shores of Georgian Bay/Lake Huron 3 miles northeast of Wiarton.It is in a snow belt so we usually get enough snow for x-country skiing and snowmobiling.In summer we kayak and camp some on the wilderness islands along Georgian Bay near Parry Sound.

Keep well, Sandalwood/Max

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 13:23
Never had a bear encounter. I sleep with my food.

Wow, that is something!

Do you really eat food that a bear wouldn't touch?

lol

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 13:25
Just because you haven't had a bear encounter doesn't necessarily mean you won't. My ex-wife and I never had food or even chewing gum in the tent and one night a bear tried to come in. He ripped the side I was sleeping on. I'm usually a passive guy, but, don't mess with me when I'm sleeping. I beat on the bear and he took off. No brag, just fact.

Wow, that is tooo scary! Was it a black bear along the AT in the Smokies by any chance?
He must have been after your Honey. lol

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 13:28
Wow, that is something!

Do you really eat food that a bear wouldn't touch?

lol

There's been more murders, rapes and assaults on the AT than actual bear attacks. Matter of fact I don't know of any bear attacks. I ain't skeered.:D

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 13:29
Max n Cathy,what part of Ontario are you from?

Thanks for the link.Very helpful.
I will be heading to your town to get a place to stay so I may see you.

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 13:36
There's been more murders, rapes and assaults on the AT than actual bear attacks. Matter of fact I don't know of any bear attacks. I ain't skeered.:D

Now I am thinking I'd be safer hanging out with the bears....I did have two cubs for 6 months as pets back in the 50s so I don't get skeered when I think of bears either but I might make an exception late at night far far from home.

rafe
12-14-2006, 13:54
Now I am thinking I'd be safer hanging out with the bears....

Naw, L. Wolf is a pussycat. ;) Don't let the beard fool you.

maxNcathy
12-14-2006, 16:20
Naw, L. Wolf is a pussycat. ;) Don't let the beard fool you.

But what if he just shaved off the "d" !!

tiamalle
12-15-2006, 03:38
Hi tiamalle,

We live along the shores of Georgian Bay/Lake Huron 3 miles northeast of Wiarton.It is in a snow belt so we usually get enough snow for x-country skiing and snowmobiling.In summer we kayak and camp some on the wilderness islands along Georgian Bay near Parry Sound.

Keep well, Sandalwood/MaxI know exactly where you are,I remember the old moose camp near ya.I gota watch out.May wind up you are my family and I got these AT hikers thinking I'm a NC Hillbilly.Davis M Haven Trucking Co and Muskoka transport was my dads outfit.enjoy the trail,Chance to see you in Franklin,NC,pm me when you are coming thru.Ron