PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I just wanna...

Chaco Taco
12-13-2006, 16:38
Get my pack, load up as much food as I can carry, hitch hike to the trail and just ditch all of the crap that goes on with school, work, and the other stuff going on right now. Like Jules in Pulp Fiction said, "Be like Kane in Kung Fu and just, walk the Earth!":mad:

Nean
12-13-2006, 16:54
Get my pack, load up as much food as I can carry, hitch hike to the trail and just ditch all of the crap that goes on with school, work, and the other stuff going on right now. Like Jules in Pulp Fiction said, "Be like Kane in Kung Fu and just, walk the Earth!":mad:

I get that feeling at least once a day!:eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2006, 16:58
One of the college-age youngsters in our family just said something very similar... must be something in the air today.

The Solemates
12-13-2006, 17:46
I love my job, but on the same hand, there is not a day that goes by that I do not think those thoughts.

Michele
12-13-2006, 18:18
It was that feeling that made me start thinking about a long distance hike in the first place. I little downtime is a good thing....the world will always be there waiting.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-16-2006, 18:33
I think 90% of us here feel the same way, I know I do.

Maxwell_Allen
12-16-2006, 18:44
Amen. I'm right behind you. Almost daily I figure out where I should start and how far I could get on my savings. The Florida Trail is looking nice this time of year.

4-cheese

rafe
12-16-2006, 18:47
Sometimes I live in the country,
Sometimes I live in town,
Sometimes I take a great notion
To jump in the river and drown.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-16-2006, 18:51
Amen. I'm right behind you. Almost daily I figure out where I should start and how far I could get on my savings. The Florida Trail is looking nice this time of year.

4-cheese
Nah, I live on the FT. It's only 65F here right now. Too cold for me....:rolleyes:

I'll be on the FT as soon as I can get a couple weeks off from training.

mweinstone
12-16-2006, 18:51
my life is all about weening myself from civilization so as to release myself into the wild as a hunter wanderer gathering nomadic bober.if thats your dream, live it. i do. i dont care how long or how many set backs there are. the AT is a microcosom of this road im on. my reason for ditching the world is cause christ said to and cause im gettin off the grid so others can have a chance. theres not enough for everyone to have what our parents had. we are wise to study the ways of the wild ones of the trail!

im gonna be a wild one of the trail.

Almost There
12-16-2006, 19:04
This time of the year at the end of a semester, as a teacher, I feel the urge to run screaming for the trail!!! So I'll be out for three days right after Xmas. Wish it could be more, but that will have to wait till June...and retirement. Only 25 years to go...

little bear
12-23-2006, 02:07
I get those same feeling about twice a day. And get them really bad this time of year when I think that on Jan 1 and for the next couple of month there are all the GAMErs leaving.

rafe
12-23-2006, 02:11
I get those same feeling about twice a day. And get them really bad this time of year when I think that on Jan 1 and for the next couple of month there are all the GAMErs leaving.

What's magical about January 1, I wonder?

Why not leave on Christmas, or turkey day, or Halloween?

little bear
12-23-2006, 02:15
Hikers that party up there for New Years eve then hit the trail on the first of Jan, ( this is just from what I have heard and read here)

Tipi Walter
12-23-2006, 09:50
my life is all about weening myself from civilization so as to release myself into the wild as a hunter wanderer gathering nomadic bober.if thats your dream, live it. i do. i dont care how long or how many set backs there are. the AT is a microcosom of this road im on. my reason for ditching the world is cause christ said to and cause im gettin off the grid so others can have a chance. theres not enough for everyone to have what our parents had. we are wise to study the ways of the wild ones of the trail!

im gonna be a wild one of the trail.

I agree. Living out is the most important quality of a person's character, it shirfts the diseased indoor paradigm into a holistic one of balance, simplicity, endurance and spontaneity against the outdoor natural setting.

It is therefore all about "bag nights" and who has the most, hence Johnny Molloy's obsession with it, "Backpacker Magazine's" contest with it and my apparent fanatical devotion to it. Free Man Status is then not how many days one can go without a woman(or a man), but how many days one can be with a woman(or a man)and still live outside. This is the test for both partners, anything less is humanity's propaganda to stay indoors and in debt. And we see clearly where such a philosophy leads.

There's no screed needed here from me to annotate its debasement and decay. But even the AT thruhiker runs screaming from the woods as soon as his or her ambitious quest is done, finishing a ME to GA travail never to be repeated. The ones who go back for more know something about living out, about their early ancestors, about the Red Man's walk on this sacred land and about the inner workings of their own selves.

All I can say to them is this: Set up a basecamp and stay put, set up a Tipi and live permanently, forsake the $200,000 American wetdream house on the hill and trade it for the $300 tent and the $400 goose down winter bag because with these 2 items you can laugh and turn your back on this crazy culture intent on pushing the natural world further and further away. You've heard this all before but without nature, without long trails going into pristine wilderness, without the chance of death by grizzly, death by falling, death by exposure, without these things we cannot live.

Any nation, any culture that destroys it's wild places, that disfigures it's air and water, is the enemy and must be seen as that. The Indians knew this a long time ago, you guys are just learning it. When the AT is just a linear park surrounded by roads and sprawl, when a permit is required to park, to backpack, to sleep overnight, you will finally know what the Indians experienced decades ago at seeing all they they loved lost at the hands of our great great grandfathers.

How to make it right? Accumulate those bag nights and live out. The goal is not to see how much money you can make, but how little money you need to make to live out. End 'O Screed.

rafe
12-23-2006, 09:59
End 'O Screed.

Say it isn't so! I want more... :)

drdewrag
12-23-2006, 10:05

If you ever make good on your desire to get away from it all, don't worry if you hear foot steps behind you - it'll probably be me...

Tipi Walter
12-23-2006, 18:57
If you ever make good on your desire to get away from it all, don't worry if you hear foot steps behind you - it'll probably be me...

Me too. You are not alone.