PDA

View Full Version : I have decided to do it!!!

Chaco Taco
12-13-2006, 17:42
I am going to do it. I am going to thru hike the AT. I have sat down with my affected family and made the decision to start planning. I graduate in May 2008, so I will shoot for an early April NOBO trek. Feels good to finally say, "IM GONNA DO IT!" Now the fun begins, planning!

Lone Wolf
12-13-2006, 17:45
You've got a long time before you need to start planning

jlb2012
12-13-2006, 17:49
yep - but starting early to convince your family is a good idea

Lone Wolf
12-13-2006, 17:57

I guess you're right. I had no wife, girlfriend or kids to answer to on my first thru hike. Wasn't very much planning involved either. From the time I hatched the idea to arriving in Georgia was less than 9 months. Got my packet from ATC, bought gear, reserved a train ticket and waited.

rafe
12-13-2006, 18:04
Best planning is to do some hiking and camping. Buy a bit of gear, use it. Get used to feeling grubby in the woods. ;)

Frosty
12-13-2006, 18:10
Get used to feeling grubby in the woods. ;)Gubby is getting excited in anticipation! :D

Lone Wolf
12-13-2006, 18:11
How cute. A pet name for his willy.:)

TJ aka Teej
12-13-2006, 18:21
Especially just before Christmas. :D

SalParadise
12-13-2006, 18:54
stretch out that planning as long as you can. you'll be all excited, get everything done in two weeks, then you'll be bouncing off the walls for four months.

all the best on your hike.

Chaco Taco
12-13-2006, 19:01
Good thing is that I have most of my gear refurbished. Doing a 10 day section in March and a few side trails in spring and summer. Just making the decision to actually do it was a big step for me. Thanks everyone

rafe
12-13-2006, 19:06
Kerwillikers, we all know how it is. I'm looking to finish the job I started 17 years ago. Just another 586 miles to go (the first 650 kicked my butt.) I won't be starting for another 8 months or so, but every day 'twixt now and then I'm gonna be daydreaming about Lehigh gap and the trek southward. Once you get a taste of "thru-hiking" the trail owns you.

d2m
12-13-2006, 19:19
you have just done the hardest part of a thru hike..... making the commitiment. now just stay committed and everything else will fall in place. do not doubt yourself, from here it's just walking.

Programbo
12-13-2006, 20:10
......From the time I hatched the idea to arriving in Georgia was less than 9 months. Got my packet from ATC, bought gear, reserved a train ticket and waited.

From the time I hatched my idea to hike the AT to standing on Springer was like 3 weeks...LOL......But to the original poster, yes that is a lot of time to plan all the way til 2008..I would suggest getting in as good a physical condition as you can so you can carry a respectable amount of weight comfortably and not have to live like a hobo or try and sponge off others like I hear of some doing..Trust me having some luxuries comes in handy..Especially a nice roomy,weather proof tent in these modern crowded shelter conditions...best of luck to you in your planning!

rafe
12-13-2006, 20:30
you have just done the hardest part of a thru hike..... making the commitiment...

Oh how I wish it were so. ;)

eventidecu
12-13-2006, 21:29
I'm in the process of leaving my job (gonna have to do it in Jan) and hitting the trail with little or no prep other than the dreaming I've done for the last couple of years or so...Thinking of just saying what the heck and going for it,,recently have no family or comitments and no reason for not living out of shelters anyway. Want to just start walking and see where it leads not thinking of the planing or money, just hiking my own hike and see where it goe's. Has anyone just "left out for the hills" and made it? I'm thinking of not worring about time or sched's just hiking to the next resupply. Sleep in late and do like 8 to 10 mile days until I can't stand it any longer, and see the countryside. I've found myself in a nothing else to do or lose situation and might start Jan and go slow and easy, come in if bad weather hits and "zero". Not a "marathon" ordeal. What doe's everyone think? Not a "plan" just a lifestyle. Could this work?

Lone Wolf
12-13-2006, 21:31
I'm in the process of leaving my job (gonna have to do it in Jan) and hitting the trail with little or no prep other than the dreaming I've done for the last couple of years or so...Thinking of just saying what the heck and going for it,,recently have no family or comitments and no reason for not living out of shelters anyway. Want to just start walking and see where it leads not thinking of the planing or money, just hiking my own hike and see where it goe's. Has anyone just "left out for the hills" and made it? I'm thinking of not worring about time or sched's just hiking to the next resupply. Sleep in late and do like 8 to 10 mile days until I can't stand it any longer, and see the countryside. I've found myself in a nothing else to do or lose situation and might start Jan and go slow and easy, come in if bad weather hits and "zero". Not a "marathon" ordeal. What doe's everyone think? Not a "plan" just a lifestyle. Could this work?

I've known many like you. Go for it. It can work.

Blissful
12-13-2006, 21:38
I've been planning for thirty years. :)

rafe
12-13-2006, 22:38
I've been planning for thirty years. :)

So what's keepin ya?