So long, and thanks for all the fish.

The Weasel
GA->VA '00
VA->ME in this lifetime

The Old Fhart
12-14-2006, 01:12
Ave Whiteblaze, et vale
...which roughly translates as,

So long, and thanks for all the fish.Actually translates as: 'hail and farewell, Whiteblaze'. The second half 'translation' is actually a quote clipped from a Douglas Adams' book and also a title of another.

Heater
12-14-2006, 01:24

The Weasel
GA->VA '00
VA->ME in this lifetime

Don't let the door hit ya where creator split ya!

bfitz
12-14-2006, 01:47
C'mon the Weasel, give it another chance...please...I actually would very much like to read the condensed article version of the "how not to get your pack searched by the man and other legal issues 101" thread. Just ignore the brasshats. Unless you really are a troll....but If Rock says you're sincere then I believe. So c'mon, you can't walk away in media bellum.

Heater
12-14-2006, 01:55
C'mon the Weasel, give it another chance...please...I actually would very much like to read the condensed article version of the "how not to get your pack searched by the man and other legal issues 101" thread. Just ignore the brasshats. Unless you really are a troll....but If Rock says you're sincere then I believe. So c'mon, you can't walk away in media bellum.

Awwwww..... how cute!

A "the weasle" groupie! :D

ed bell
12-14-2006, 04:02

The Weasel
GA->VA '00
VA->ME in this lifetimeI wish you well, too bad our petty disconnect was left open-ended. Unfortunate that this post was your last (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backhanded_compliment) to the 99% of website members who had zero direct interaction with you. I've read all the books.:cool:

StarLyte
12-14-2006, 07:43
Weasel.....

Stick around.

Don't drink coffee or alcohol before posting.

Read, and re-read your draft posting before hitting that button.

Don't be tempted to respond to anything controversial.

------OR-----

Do drink coffee or alcohol before posting.....just use ONE FINGER to type.

Respond to anything and pay the price of being embarrassed or slapped around when we see you at a hiker event......yeah there ya go......:D :D

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 08:04
Do drink alcohol before posting.....just use ONE FINGER to type.

That's exactly what I do.:)

D'Artagnan
12-14-2006, 09:53
That's exactly what I do.:)

Is it a MIDDLE finger??:D

dixicritter
12-14-2006, 13:49
Don't let the door hit ya where creator split ya!

Awwwww..... how cute!

A "the weasle" groupie! :D

Austexs.... Time to lay off! If you don't like The Weasel that's fine, but quit with the attacks already.

Heater
12-14-2006, 14:10
Austexs.... Time to lay off! If you don't like The Weasel that's fine, but quit with the attacks already.

OK Dixiecritter.

TOW
12-14-2006, 14:33

The Weasel
GA->VA '00
VA->ME in this lifetime
What? Who are you? I haven't even met you yet and your off and running away already?:eek:

SGT Rock
12-14-2006, 14:48
I hope you change your mind Russ. Sorry I wasn't around more as you started to come back on the site. So many people mis-read you and beat you up for it and never got to know how good a guy you are. They have lost for it and may never get to realize that.

Sorry about that old friend. Wish I could have been around more for you.

Gray Blazer
12-14-2006, 15:04
Don't go, we need ya. I've found out on this site that you can tell everybody the sky is blue and most reasonable people will agree w/o responding, but, a few nutcases will be determined to argue the point into the ground while insulting you and your mom at the same time. Don't go.

Frosty
12-14-2006, 15:34
I hope you change your mind Russ. Sorry I wasn't around more as you started to come back on the site. So many people mis-read you and beat you up for it and never got to know how good a guy you are. They have lost for it and may never get to realize that.Maybe. Maybe we would have realized it if he was as saintly as you paint him out to be. Had he been less abrasive and less insulting and less inclined to stir the crap pot, more people might miss him.

Face it. Some of his posts were designed to irritate people, and he was often insulting. Not that it makes him any better or worse than anyone else who does this, but there isn't any justification to slobber over him now and fill out the Application for Sainthood form.

People will miss him or not miss him based on how he behaved. It is good that he sent you an email many years ago, and it is a testiment to your loyalty that you give him a free pass for life based on that one act, but for for some of us what he does now determines how we see him now.

I do not see that Whiteblaze is any worse off for his having left. Others may see it differently and that is fine.

The strength of the wolf is in the pack.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 16:28
The strength of the wolf is in the pack.

Not necessarily. Lone wolves are better off without a pack.

Sly
12-14-2006, 16:37
Not necessarily. Lone wolves are better off without a pack.

Slackpackers? :p

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 16:38
Not this wolf.

D'Artagnan
12-14-2006, 16:51
I seem to recall several months back when another prolific poster here on WB threatened to quit. Man that created a flurry of posts -- pro and con. Funny thing is, WB kept on keeping on. I guess that's why I love it so much. Thanks to the Admins for all the hard work. 99.999% of us really do appreciate it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-14-2006, 17:06
Afraid I have to agree with Frosty's comments in post #15 and I don't feel that way solely because I was one of the targets. When anyone shows up in a group and immediately demands everyone respect them without earning the respect of the group, there's going to be problems. When anyone new starts moving thru a community stating his or her opinion as incontrovertible laws that must be obeyed, there's going to be problems. When anyone new to a group starts giving orders to established members without actually having any authority to do so, there's going to be problems.

Russ may be an OK guy, but I didn't see much evidence of that while he was here. Perhaps he will return one day and integrate into the community instead of trying to take over the community

Ewker
12-14-2006, 17:24
Afraid I have to agree with Frosty's comments in post #15 and I don't feel that way solely because I was one of the targets. When anyone shows up in a group and immediately demands everyone respect them without earning the respect of the group, there's going to be problems. When anyone new starts moving thru a community stating his or her opinion as incontrovertible laws that must be obeyed, there's going to be problems. When anyone new to a group starts giving orders to established members without actually having any authority to do so, there's going to be problems.

Russ may be an OK guy, but I didn't see much evidence of that while he was here. Perhaps he will return one day and integrate into the community instead of trying to take over the community

I wouldn't count on it. I saw more crap from him in the short period of time he was here than in the whole time I have been on WB, which isn't that long compared to others.

I like you FD finally put him on ignore.

SGT Rock
12-14-2006, 17:41
But think of this. Even off those threads he was followed around by people making smart-ass comments about something that came from that one thread. Other threads were started about that issue. His whole profession was disparaged and he is one of the lawyers that was trying to make a positive contribution to the hiking community.

Imagine if it were you. If you got off on the wrong foot and people posted on every other thread you contributed to about something that happened in the past or on some other thread. You would not feel welcome. Add to that he is the sort that will defend himself. Others saw that as provocation apparently to fight back with him even more.

And the shame of it all is people think it is a good thing. Talk about the strength of the pack, it was more like a wolf pack attack. The group has a problem with the guy on one thread, so the pack attacks.

Frosty
12-14-2006, 19:22
It's a difference of opinion what makes horse races possible.

But, if I went to a group where I wasn't known, and got off on the wrong foot, and a lot of posters let me know, I doubt I'd go on the counter attack and start lambasting everyone in sight. I might tone it down and try to fit in.

Or I might just leave as he did.

I know he is your friend, but go back are read some of his posts. You excuse his attacks as defense, yet chastise a few people here for posting relatively innocuous things about him.

I thoroughly applaud your efforts to tone down the assaults here. The post you had about ignoring threads where you have nothing constructive to add (let people talk about fording, how to care for dogs, use GPSs, tent,etc without intruding with comments that they shouldn't be doing/using this) is the single best thing to elevate WB.

But you have a blind spot here, and are missing the obvious.

bfitz
12-14-2006, 19:31
Well, I'd say there are two points, on the one thread there certainly was a wolf pack attack, (wolves always go after exposed vulnerabilities) and that may have set him on the defensive, but in the case of the politcs thread, he jumped in of his own accord with some strident criticism of others, and mostly put them on the defensive. So there is enough blame to go around.

bfitz
12-14-2006, 19:32
And the posters criticized on the politcs thread were not those who followed around ankle biting and/or trashed the other thread.

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2006, 20:09
I actually thought the "Legal Issues on the Trail" threads were a pretty great idea, and had great potential before they got all ****ed up with personal slams, off-topic comments, and pet peeves/horror stories about attorneys.

It should also be pointed out that the vast majority of The Weasel's strongest critics on the Legal thread, including the ones complaining about him on THIS thread, have not themselves started any discussions remotely as useful or interesting, at least not lately:

*A quick three minute check reveals that of the threads Frosty has started since July, one was to find himself a ride/shuttle somewhere; the other was to tell lawyer jokes, most of which I recalled hearing around 30 years ago.

*Of the last few threads Ewker started, one was about Christmas ornaments, one was a humor thread about how life was different 33 years ago, and one was about O.J. Simpson.

*The Only Wanderer hasn't initiated much lately either, except attempts
to contribute to the "Humor" section now and again. Oh, I also seem to
remember one thread he started that dealt with boogers. He also
accuses The Weasel of "running off" prematurely, when, in point of fact, Weasel joined Whiteblaze two and a half years before Wanderer did.

*Sly and F.D. are, of course, best-known here for political commentary, and
not much else.

In short, I hope Weasel sticks around. The legal threads, at least at first, had some interesting stuff in them, stuff that actually dealt with the Trail and was of great interest to potential hikers. The pack of people that were (and apparently still are) upset with him should perhaps consider starting useful threads of their own, or failing that, they can always avoid the threads they don't like, instead of merely repeatedly going after the guy who started the discussion.

Just a thought.

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2006, 20:18
Boston's last thread here, by the way, was "Who's the best Thru-Hiker Ever?" which someone else promptly suggested was the stupidest dialogue ever initiated here.

Thank you, Boz, for helping to prove my point.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 20:24
Weasel is a human being. This is a ***n website. I've admitted that I got caught up in slamming him. It's wrong. We're all wrong. Let's start over. Peace y'all.:)

Ewker
12-14-2006, 20:26
*Of the last few threads Ewker started, one was about Christmas ornaments, one was a humor thread about how life was different 33 years ago, and one was about O.J. Simpson.

Jack, ironic how you left out threads I started in between some of those you mention above like the thread on The Sheltowee Trace Trail and Possum Down Clothing. Before all of those were the ones asking about ACT or ALDHA, Greyhound Bus and one on the BMT databooks.

So tell me which ones of those were not useful?

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2006, 20:26
Damn, even Wolf is goin' all gushy and cuddly on us.

Must be the season or somethin'.

Happy Hannukah, Wolfie, light a candle for me. :D

rickb
12-14-2006, 20:29
Lets make fun of Wolf.

What's your handicap?

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 20:32
Damn, even Wolf is goin' all gushy and cuddly on us.

Must be the season or somethin'.

Happy Hannukah, Wolfie, light a candle for me. :D

Well I did vote Democrat this year.:D BS aside, I don't know this Russ guy other than typed words. I'm judged my typed words. I'm different face to face with speech. I'm sure he is too. We all should calm down, Russ too, and chill. I'm gonna try.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 20:33
Lets make fun of Wolf.

What's your handicap?

I'm a 16. I shot a 42 for 9 today.

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2006, 20:37
Ewker:

Quite a few of the 10 threads you started here were useful; I especially liked the one on older maps.

I was merely pointing out I thought that Weasel's legal thread had a hell of a lot more merit than much of the stuff that's been taking up space here recently, whether it's political stuff, weak attempts at humor, or ridiculously off-topic stuff.

And nobody's immune from this. I seem to recall starting a thread on a Clint Eastwood film recently.

All I'm saying is that at the outset, Weasel's legal thread had some interesting stuff in it, especially for future long-distance hikers, and I'm sorry to see that it got so far off track.

Sly
12-14-2006, 20:38
*Sly and .... are, of course, best-known here for political commentary, and
not much else.

That's BS! If you click on either of our user names and do a search, you post in the political forum as much as I do. The difference is Jack, you're more prone to attack the messenger, aka other WB members, than the message.

You want to know why I give you grief? Read the above.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 20:39
[QUOTE=Jack Tarlin;

Happy Hannukah, Wolfie, light a candle for me. :D[/QUOTE]

You Jew or somethin'?

rickb
12-14-2006, 20:40

I can't make fun of that.

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2006, 20:44
Wolf:

These days I'm more or less a lapsed Unitarian.

We believe in Red Sox baseball.

Frosty
12-14-2006, 20:49
This is a great example of turning a discussion into a series of personal attacks. Is there any way you can simply say that you liked Weasel's threads on their own merits? You can't make his threads stronger by insulting Sly or FD, or Ewker, or the Only Wanderer, or imply I have nothing to add to discussions because I tend not to start threads but discuss mostly existing threads, or that because I used Hooking Up to ask for a ride I am somehow not worthy of having an opinion on whiteblaze. What is the Hooking Up forum for then? What is wrong with carpooling? Why do you imply that trying to attend a get-together is somehow something for which a poster should be put down?

Not all of us start a lot of threads. That does not mean our opinions are worthless or that we should be personally insulted.

Posts that shift from discussing issues to trying to weaken another person's position by demeaning them is hardly constructive.

I actually thought the "Legal Issues on the Trail" threads were a pretty great idea, and had great potential before they got all ****ed up with personal slams, off-topic comments, and pet peeves/horror stories about attorneys.

It should also be pointed out that the vast majority of The Weasel's strongest critics on the Legal thread, including the ones complaining about him on THIS thread, have not themselves started any discussions remotely as useful or interesting, at least not lately:

*A quick three minute check reveals that of the threads Frosty has started since July, one was to find himself a ride/shuttle somewhere; the other was to tell lawyer jokes, most of which I recalled hearing around 30 years ago.

*The Only Wanderer hasn't initiated much lately either, except attempts
to contribute to the "Humor" section now and again. Oh, I also seem to
remember one thread he started that dealt with boogers. He also
accuses The Weasel of "running off" prematurely, when, in point of fact, Weasel joined Whiteblaze two and a half years before Wanderer did.

*Sly and F.D. are, of course, best-known here for political commentary, and
not much else.

In short, I hope Weasel sticks around. The legal threads, at least at first, had some interesting stuff in them, stuff that actually dealt with the Trail and was of great interest to potential hikers. The pack of people that were (and apparently still are) upset with him should perhaps consider starting useful threads of their own, or failing that, they can always avoid the threads they don't like, instead of merely repeatedly going after the guy who started the discussion.

Just a thought.

rafe
12-14-2006, 20:52

Reform or conservative? ;).

Seriously tho, I know where you're coming from. Good UU jokes here:

http://stoney.sb.org/uujokes.html

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2006, 20:55
Geez, Frosty, you oughta be a comedian.

You say it's ME making personal attacks here?

Look at your first post on this thread, #15 I think.

You call Weasel and his posts "irritating" and "abrasive." You acuse him of "stirring the crap pot". You call him "insulting" twice.

And now it's me that has reduced this thread to "personal" stuff?

Get real. Read your own words before attacking mine, OK?

Oh, and yeah. I think Weasel's thread and comments had a great deal of merit before a "wolf pack" (your term, not mine) of whiners took the thread way off-track and reduced it to a nasty sludge of vitriol.

Is that clear enough for you?

Sleepy the Arab
12-14-2006, 21:04
Sorry to see that it has come to this. I thought the threads were a fantastic idea but sadly, stopped reading them when certain attention whoring personalities hijacked them. I still can't figure out what caused some to so eagerly harass him as such - how many lawyers give free info? This was no wolf pack attacking, but more like jackels. I truly hope The Weasel give it another go, hopefully with a more liberal use of his ignore button (good news! I've used it several times and am much happier for it!).

Frosty
12-14-2006, 21:20
Geez, Frosty, you oughta be a comedian.

You say it's ME making personal attacks here?

Look at your first post on this thread, #15 I think.

You call Weasel and his posts "irritating" and "abrasive." You acuse him of "stirring the crap pot". You call him "insulting" twice.

And now it's me that has reduced this thread to "personal" stuff?

Get real. Read your own words before attacking mine, OK?

Oh, and yeah. I think Weasel's thread and comments had a great deal of merit before a "wolf pack" (your term, not mine) of whiners took the thread way off-track and reduced it to a nasty sludge of vitriol.

Is that clear enough for you?Well, perhaps I over-reacted. I just didn't see what my requesting a ride to Springer had to do with anything in this thread.

By "The strength of the wolf is in the pack" I meant that the strength of any group is in the members, not one wolf, no matter how large or strong. It had nothing to do with ganging up on anyone, whether the Weasel or Warren Doyle, but I can see how it could easily be misunderstood.

Nean
12-14-2006, 21:23
I've seen the "so long cruel (WB) world" speech here before.:eek: It usually comes from the most outspoken, educated types too.:-? Often, it seems to me, these folks can dish it out but can't take it. I'm not sure what was said that caused The Weasel to tuck tail, as I didn't keep track or have interest in most of it. Maybe he will learn from his experience and use that ignore option as StA pointed out.

Maybe not.

At any rate, I wish The Weasel well. I think his intentions were good, but he went about it in the wrong way. Too many rules for this crowd.;) :)

weary
12-14-2006, 21:30
Awwwww..... how cute! A "the weasle" groupie! :D
Awwwww.....Austexs....how cute! Another WB vote against information and in favor of bickering, while hypocrically proclaiming the opposite.

Weary

dixicritter
12-14-2006, 21:31
Good Grief people, y'all really know how to run a subject into the ground.

Can we put the testosterone away for a while and move on to other things.... Geez guys! Go sword fight elsewhere. This posturing is getting old.:rolleyes:

the goat
12-14-2006, 21:33
yeah, i found the weasel's legal imputs very informative and helpful..... i don't understand what the drama is all about.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-14-2006, 21:42
Once again, I agree with Frosty. Jack, maybe you should go do a search under my name and see just where all I do post and about what. I also PM people frequently - especially the ladies - with information that's a bit more personal than I care to share publicly.

Jack, you know a great deal about the trail and have a wealth of knowledge. However, the fact that you regularly personal attack members here keep me from being able to hold you in the high regard you would otherwise deserve - and that is sad. I still consider you a friend - just a friend with a behavior problem.

Sly
12-14-2006, 22:20

I'd also like to point out, I didn't say ANYTHING about the Weasel on THIS thread, yet Jack felt it necessary to include me in his list.

The problem I had on the Weasels thread didn't start until he scolded me for not being qualified since I wasn't a lawyer or LEO, when I mentioned drinking at picnic tables in NP's was legal. Prior to that I had no problems with him but the Weasel was well on his way in his condescending manner to other members. Regardless, it doesn't always take a lawyer or LEO to know certain rules and regs.

Skidsteer
12-14-2006, 22:39
Weasel is a human being. This is a ***n website. I've admitted that I got caught up in slamming him. It's wrong. We're all wrong. Let's start over. Peace y'all.:)

It's Christmas. I remember last Christmas WB was a 'Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men' kinda place.

We need to get over it. ..... (http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3aa67b8808b0.htm)

Boat Drinks
12-14-2006, 23:36

Not bad Wolf

12 here. Come on down to PCB and play golf with me anytime, (before March that is...) That goes for anyone, beach front accomadations too!:sun

Boat Drinks
12-14-2006, 23:37
Wolf:

We believe in Red Sox baseball.

Oh jeez, in that case, you can't come Jack. You and my golf buddy would just talk Sox all day long....:datz :p

TJ aka Teej
12-15-2006, 00:27
The problem I had on the Weasels thread didn't start until he scolded me for not being qualified since I wasn't a lawyer or LEO, when I mentioned drinking at picnic tables in NP's was legal. Prior to that I had no problems with him but the Weasel was well on his way in his condescending manner to other members. Regardless, it doesn't always take a lawyer or LEO to know certain rules and regs.

Sounds very familiar! Y'know... I was going to respond to a different (not Sly) poster by going over certain threads pulling out all the rude comments, ad hominens, put-downs, sneers, snide remarks, threats, pomposity, and general insults doled out by that person... but I was barely a third of the way through when I decided against it, and just deleted all that instead of posting it. I think people have made up their minds, and facts certainly aren't going to change them. I do have to say that the shameless revisionist spin he was trying to sell on his way out the door said much more about recent events than anything I could have typed up. To say anything more would be talking 'behind his back' since I guess he stopped reading after he left around midnight yesterday. I'm on to other topics. Come join me!

SGT Rock
12-15-2006, 05:14
Blind spot, no it is more like someone that that tries to stay off one of the tribes that forms around here. In politics I have been blasted by other conservatives, in other areas I have worked with trolls to calm them down and make them a semi-decent poster (even the ones that have pissed me off personally). And at the same time I have also seen the wolf pack in action here on other posters. Some of the older readers may remember JLB who came on strong on ONE THREAD about guns because he was a gun lover. Many other users that took issue and wolf packed him continued to do the same thing on other threads where he didn't even mention guns and was being a polite poster. As I remember they even started a thread to poke fun at him - and if I remember correctly which thread that was, it thread has gone on to be one of the longest lasting humor threads on the board. I had to remind other posters that JLB was acting like a gentlemen so please stop harassing him outside that thread about the subject they were harassing him about. Do you know how many PMs I got from people thinking I was the one screwed up because they thought JLB was a jerk and needed to be taught a lesson? More than I got over The Weasel I will say that.

BTW, JLB still comes here occasionally. He has remained a good member. Don't start and **** with him again please. And JLB, I don't mean to pick on you bro, just using what happened to you as an example of how people sometimes get around here.

So let me take my "blind spot" forward a few years. Here comes in one of the guys that helped keep this site going back in the infancy of the place. I didn't get to post here at the time a lot because of connection issues and the war. So I had to go back and perform so tracking over the history of him being here to try and clean up some threads and figure out what the hell some PMs were over when they did complain. What it looks like to my "blind eye" is some people wolf packed him. That is what I see it as and that is what I call it as. The problem is some of you were caught up in the emotion of being mad at him and cannot see your own actions and how they also influenced the events here. So while I have my own "blind eye" there are a lot more of them out there. Wolf figured it out, but others egos have not allowed them to.

So since some of you want to persist in your rapture at how well your wolf pack has operated, let me tell you what I saw from my "blind eye" as I had to sort through the past to clean up or track down some of the complaints. As I did the reading, I came to the conclusion that he got caught in a JLB like situation and handled it a little different than JLB - to his demise.

Weasel came back after being "gone" for a while - and by that I mean not posting. He checked in from time to time. But like some posters he has a life outside of posting here. He was polite and started contributing and posting. One of the first things he did was PM me and mention how a he has noticed while lurking here on and off that some of the posters here had a tendency to start verbal fights with other members (sorry Weasel, I don't normally talk about PMs on the board, but in this case I think you would appreciate where I am going with it) and I sort of shrugged it off. I know it happens, but I can't spend the time it takes to police some of the adults that post here to make them all nice. The thing is he is not the first to point that out around here, and it is the reason I asked for a moritorium on the political forum because it appears to my "blind eye" that a lot of the wolf-pack comes from that area.

So he starts posting about youth packs, trains, dogs, sexism on the trail, thermometers, axes on the trail, alcohol stoves, etc. He was about as pompous and helpful as any other old time regular. Any of you that don't think you come off as pompous or flippant at times ought to re-check your compass. I know I do at times. Who doesn't think they do. Anyway, it looks like no one really had any issue with him at the time except for an overstep on the dog forum.

Then he started a thread called Laws for Backpackers because he saw a need to help some people cut through the bull**** on what was said on a couple of other threads dealing with the law. And this is where he stated to really piss off some of the regulars because he asked for something they don't want to give into - restraint from posting.

Now if he had known about straight forward, it would have helped. But even some people that post here regularly don't know about the place. Anyway...

Knowing from watching how some threads get taken over by people, he asked for some restraint on who made comments - probably his experience that people that have no idea what they are saying about law try to be ****-house or barracks lawyers. That irked some people who went to work trying to get him to cry uncle on the thread and submit to the wolf-pack that he couldn't ask for restraint like an admin or moderator could. Never mind that there was some actual good, no I think GREAT discussion going on there.

Now this is where he screwed up - not in asking for restraint, but in defending himself against the wolf pack. If he had submitted early, then he would have just had his thread taken over or something else. But instead he fought back. The wolf pack didn't care for the great discussion, they were willing to sacrifice any good discussion for the sake of being satisfied by the hunt.

Most of his next 200+ posts were on that thread fighting the wolf-pack. And when he went off that thread for some other topics, the pack followed. I tried to calm the place down, but some of the regulars were so offended by the fact he defended himself on that thread, that they decided not even I would be listened to as a voice of reason - blood lust was on them because they were caught in the emotion of hunting "the jerk". Why? Apparently because they had decided he was a jerk and were going to continue to attack him because of it no matter what because a jerk deserves it.

And when he agreed with another member who mentioned how his girlfriend was planning a thru-hike but didn't like the atmosphere and was put off by all this sort of thing at WhiteBlaze - he was beat up again by the wolf pack.

And then about a week ago he makes it to the Political off-topic forum and starts doing some of the same stuff back to people they have been doing to him. And this is in that particular forum - they get mad at him for what normally goes on there anyway. And he gets mad for what normally goes on there anyway too.

And here is the rub. When 10 (a number I will just throw out there) people wolf pack on one guy, it is considered acceptable by the pack because he is a jerk - they are replacing the sick and lame with the jerk. The fact that he fights back now makes him a dangerous jerk causing problems and now deserves what he gets even more. When he plays the same game they play - well then he is the one causing problems not seeing that many of them are only poking the fire and adding fuel to it instead of letting it die down.

Anyway, he does share some guilt in that he decided to not turn the other cheek. That is one place JLB at least did different. He maintained himself off that one thread, Weasel let himself go where the others on this board that were sniping at him already went. That is his guilt. He kept the fire going too.

So from my "blind eye" the wolf pack is sort of like a bunch of school kids in the third grade. They all want to say "But he started it". Let me ask this, if you saw your kid outside in a fight with another kid would you stop him and say "We don't fight to solve our problems." or would you say "Who started it?" From what I can tell reading the history here, all you care about is who started it. As long as the other kid is perceived as starting it, then the whole neighborhood gets to beat the **** out of him.

That said. I am sure some of you will start nit picking this appart and try to prove why he deserve what he got and how you are totally innocent. That is why I am going to close this thread on this note. Please read and decide if the shoe fits in any way. If it does, then change how you act. If it doesn't, well ignore it but let it serve as a warning to you in the future.