PDA

View Full Version : Pesto and Dehydrated Hummus

hiker_sue
12-14-2006, 11:36
Hi

How available are pesto and dehydrated hummus at re supply stops?

Thanks

Lone Wolf
12-14-2006, 11:40
Almost nowhere in the southern AT towns although Bluff Mtn. Outfitters in Hot Springs may carry it. The larger towns in the central-northern towns may have it.

Ender
12-14-2006, 11:53
No idea about the hummus, but Knorr brand (or something comparable) pesto packets can be found in almost all grocery stores. They won't often be found in smaller deli-style stores though.

Hammock Hanger
12-14-2006, 12:33
Hi

Thanks

I did find the dried hummus at some of the larger grocery stores and most had the knorr pesto or sundried tomatoe flavor packets.

You won't find it everywhere but when I couldn't find it I got a long enough break from it that I wasn't sick of it anymore and glad to find it back in my pack.

StarLyte
12-14-2006, 12:38
Hi

Thanks

I've never seen this at any resupply.

Pesto, now made by Classico and a few other brand names, is available at a lot of grocery stores, including Walmart.

Hey....I'm hiking with you.....sounds like you're really cookin on the Trail.

Mouse
12-14-2006, 12:49
Back on the west coast instant hummus was one of my very favorite backpacking staples. So I looked and looked everywhere, but never found it my entire thruhike. Best bet is to ship some from home periodically.

There were good organic soup mixes and textured vegetable protein at the outfitter in Hot Springs NC and at the food coop in Hanover NH. But I did not find hummus.:(

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-14-2006, 12:52
Dried Hummus is found in some grocery stores - usually in the 'ethnic foods' section. Pesto mix is found near spices or sometimes with the pasta suaces in packets.

hiker_sue
12-14-2006, 15:08
Hi All

Thanks for the responses. Being Canadian I wasn't sure how readily available these products were in the US.

Hurry up March 17th...

Sue

fvital
12-14-2006, 15:45
Kroger's carries both. You can go here and do a search at you're planned towns. Make sure you check the box for whole food/organics because that's the section they carry the hummis mix in.

http://clients.mapquest.com/kroger/mqlocator?link=find

ScottP
12-14-2006, 20:19
I found dried hommous 2-3 times (much to the chagrin of anyone hiking behind me)

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2006, 20:49
Wolf is right......not much of this stuff down South. He's right, Bluff Mt. does indeed carry GREAT instant hummus, tabouli, etc., I think from a company called Fantastic Foods, which also has a good website where you can order their stuff in quantity at great savings. If I was a vegetarian planning a good number of maildrops, I'd check this out.

Once you get to New England, stuff of this sort is available in virtually every large supermarket you'll come to.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-14-2006, 23:17
These products are increasingly available down south in large stores as well. Krogers and Walmart both sell dried hummus here in SE Tennessee.

mythicyeti
12-18-2006, 03:36
These are both perfect for maildrops. That's what I did and it was a life saver. I'd just buy the oil at the local grocery.

rafe
12-18-2006, 10:27
I found dried hommous 2-3 times (much to the chagrin of anyone hiking behind me)

Seriously. I love hummus (and falafel is the best!!!) but there are consequences. That seems true of a lot of high-protein foods. :o

hiker_sue
12-18-2006, 13:34
Hi

Thanks for all the info/post all. Since I'm from Canada mail drops aren't really an option for me due to cost. I'm not a vegetarian but due love hummus and pesto so I've been trying to decide if it's worth bringing some with me and bouncing them up the trail with my maps.

Thanks
Sue

fvital
12-22-2006, 11:57
I used the online companion at ALDHA and did some searchs by zip code. The following is a list of Kroger's near the trail (NOTE: the kroger site gives mileage from the center of the zip code. I limited the list to listings of less than 5 miles). Krogers sells the Fantastic Food brand in their organic/whole food section. They also carry couscous, dried black beans and other fantatic foods entrees.

Murfeesboro NC
Franklin NC
Daleville VA
Waynesboro VA

neo
12-22-2006, 12:47
Hi

Thanks
fantastic foods sell great dehydrated hummus and they have a store locator on thier website,i have bought thier products in larger stores
:cool: neo

http://www.fantasticfoods.com/

mrc237
12-23-2006, 09:16
I have seen pesto in tubes like toothpaste can't recommend as I have never tried. But will check it out soon. BTW making your own on the trail is easy dried basil dried garlic bits and OO stir and let settle for 5 min and presto you got pesto!