PDA

View Full Version : Health and Fitness for hikers

Chaco Taco
12-14-2006, 18:58
I read the Article related to preparingfor long distance hikes. I am currently "getting back in shape". I am starting light by doing an every other day regiment. My diet is alittle questionable. I am running out of energy by late aftrenoon.
Ijust want to get some feedback from everyone about diet/ work out regiments. Currently, I bike to work at 6am (approx 4 miles) drinking about 20-30 oz of h20 by the time I start work. I eat a little fruit from time to time in the am and drink a cup of coffee. Then I switch back to h20. I have recently drastically reduced the amount of caffine I take in, including soda. More or less, I do not drink soda anymore. I am on my feet all day. I eat a sandwich for lunch of meat and veggies, drink h20 I get off work and bike home (again approx 4 miles). In the am I am pretty good considering that I have changed my schedule. My physical came out good a few weeks ago with no problems besides the usual eat better. I come home after work and do odds and ends around the house, including homework. I find myself nodding off on the couch or at my desk. I cut alot of snacks out. If I eat a snack, it consist of granola or fruit at work.
When I work out, I go to the gym and treadmill about 15-20 running/walking. I do weights as wellevery other time I go. I get 8 hours of solid sleep each night. I am losing my energy when I get off work. I just started to really be serious about taking car eof myself. Its not just for my hike, but for overall mental and physical health.
What should I do to max my energy? I am having a toug time of it here lately!:confused:

Skidsteer
12-14-2006, 19:41
Are you hungry?

Chaco Taco
12-14-2006, 22:21
Are you hungry?
Is this a joke question? Well if not, I get really hungry when I get home from my bike ride from work so I eat a small healthy snack 30 mins before I work out, then dinner about an hour after my workout.

Skidsteer
12-14-2006, 23:36
Is this a joke question? Well if not, I get really hungry when I get home from my bike ride from work so I eat a small healthy snack 30 mins before I work out, then dinner about an hour after my workout.

No not a joke.

You're concerned about low energy levels and I noticed that your snacks are mostly high sugar/low fat stuff that the AMA recommends for losing weight.

Not all folks are suited to this type of diet and I find personally that it leads to highs and lows in energy that I prefer not to deal with.

That's all I meant by it.

Chaco Taco
12-15-2006, 00:05
So what do I do? Load up on calories at breakfast and lunch and work out later in the day? I didnt mean to come across as I did. Thanks for input.

Skidsteer
12-15-2006, 00:29
So what do I do? Load up on calories at breakfast and lunch and work out later in the day? I didnt mean to come across as I did. Thanks for input.

No worries.

Fruit and granola, etc. can be good to eat but the question is 'What can you eat?'

It's hard to tell from your original post because you didn't list what you have for dinners but it sounds like you might be either dealing with sugar crashes or maybe just adjusting to fewer calories than you're used to.

If it's a calorie deficit adjustment only, it will pass and your energy levels will stabilize more or less with time.

If it's sugar crashes you'll find it difficult to maintain a consistent calorie intake and find yourself 'falling off the wagon' frequently.

Are you losing weight? At a reasonable rate and not too fast? Is that even your goal or are you trying to maintain your current weight but replace fat with muscle?

map man
12-15-2006, 01:30
Replacing some simple carbohydrates (sugars) with more complex carbohydrates, when you're hungry and want something to tide yourself over until a full meal, might help. You get a slower, more steady energy burn that way. I eat Trisquit crackers at work (wheat thins would also work) in mid to late afternoon. They have 20 grams of carbs per serving, and none of it is sugar (they also have some protein and fats for a nice balance). They also have no trans fats. These crackers can also be a good trail food, I've found.

Chaco Taco
12-15-2006, 17:24
Thanks for the posting. I am feeling a little better today. We ahve this stuff at work that is awesome. I dont know if any of you are familiar with Foster's Market. We have this granola with honey and cranberries that is UNREAL! I ate a bowl of fruit and munched on granola before lunch. Packs a ton of energy. I felt great all day.
Thanks again. I am adjusting my diet. I usually eat a full dinner like meat, starch, and fresh veggies. I took in about 1200 calories yesterday and didnt get my usual crash today. Just worked out and feel pretty good. Gonna do a 10 miler at the river Sunday. Have a great weekend everyone and thanks again!!!!:sun

jrwiesz
12-16-2006, 04:48
Lowspark,
Get the book "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips at your local library. There is also a companion journal to track the progress of your work-out/exercise regime, and a companion book of perfect recipes related to the nutritional philosophy of Bill Phillips. You may want to purchase the journal, if you think this program might work for you. It worked for me in the 12 weeks prior to my trip to Isle Royale National Park in 2005. I lost 30+ excess pounds I was carrying, and got me into the best shape I had been in for some 10-15 years. Bill sets a regime of balanced exercise with free weights, and cardio/aerobic exercises, tied into nutritional requirements to achieve your "Body for Life". When to eat, what to eat, how much to eat, what to supplement, when to exercise, he even gives you a FREE day that you don't exercise and eat what you desire. In reading your posts, it seems to me you are not eating enough, maybe more that you are not eating enough times during your day. Sounds funny, but eat more often, lose weight{if that is what you need}, or gain weight{muscle-if that is what you desire}. Give it a look, it worked for me.

fiddlehead
12-16-2006, 13:14
Is your work interesting? Hard? Mentally tough?
Because i have 2 lives, 9 months of the year i live in thailand and don't do a whole lot except practice and play music either by myself or with a band. I sleep a lot when i'm there and feel tired a lot.
When i come back to the states (2 to 3 months) and work, i work 3 jobs and have trouble sleeping. I have a lot to think about juggling my time and find myself going to bed at midnight and up at 6 am most days. I rarely feel tired.
Perhaps your problem is that you need a more intense job to keep you stimulated/occupied??? I don't know, just my 2 cents from my experiences.