PDA

View Full Version : Under Armour

TOW
12-15-2006, 11:28
Have any of you ever hear of this outfit?
http://www.underarmour.com/ShopUSAHome.cfm

jlb2012
12-15-2006, 11:47
yeah I think this is where I ordered a shirt a few weeks ago - no complaints, shirt arrived fairly quickly

highway
12-15-2006, 11:57
Sports Authority carries it, if there is a local one near you-it's saves shipping but you pay your state's governor though for tax-probably. I bought a pair of 3" boxers but find they roll up some. I am going to try a longer pair

1Pint
12-15-2006, 13:18

They advertise quite a bit.

The stuff is okay, but I'm not a big fan. I prefer Hind's gear. I've got a short sleeve UA shirt that I like for warm weather running. The seams don't rub even on really long runs and it wicks really well. Not sure what their gear is like in colder weather. Bottom line - if you can get it on big discount, go ahead but it's not worth full price.

Oh, and it's mostly cut pretty close-fitting, so if you don't like that skin-tight look, go at least 1 size up from your normal.

Jim Adams
12-15-2006, 13:26
available cheap through Dick's Sporting Goods chain stores--works ok, nothing spectactular.

Footslogger
12-15-2006, 13:26
Sounds a bit like "chain mail"

'Slogger

Playoutside
12-15-2006, 14:04
i like the stuff and highly recomend it if you ever suffer from chaffing

fiddlehead
12-15-2006, 14:57
I sold Under Armour on my website and sales have dropped off for this product dramatically. I believe it was a fad that was mostly popular with the younger generation (teenagers) as they saw the football players looking good in it.
It is meant to be skin tight but many complaing that it is clammy. We rarely get requests for it anymore but some will buy it when we sell it for $5 a piece.
( had some at the gathering this year for that price) we don't sell it on our site anymore.
Every year there seems to be someone hawking some spectacular new fabric that is supposed to be the perfect answer to your problem. Some live, some die. Polypro has now been around for 20+ years and still selling good.
Frogg Toggs was one that has now been around for 12 years i believe. Under Armour won't make 5.

Nightwalker
12-15-2006, 15:17
There's a Starter version at W-Mart. I've used the t-shirt and boxer-briefs. Pretty good

moondoggy
12-15-2006, 16:12
I have a couple of the long shirts....They're ok....they tend to pul heck out of the hair of your arms.....

I know people who swear by it...I've used better for a lot cheaper

micromega
12-15-2006, 19:40
I've used the cold weather long sleeve, works well and I've never had any reason to complain. I have experienced the aforementioned clamminess, mainly during heavy sweating and stop/go activity in cold weather.

I don't advise buying it though, unless you can get it at discount. Ridiculously overpriced, really, you'll probably be paying more for the brand name than the product. You can get equal or better performance at lower price from other products.

Uncle Tom
12-15-2006, 19:53
It is well regarded in the military/ police community, where it is often standard issue under Kevlar/ballistic protection. It comes in two forms, for warm and cool weather. I tested the warm weater skin tight stuff last summer and it was superb in keeping me cool , it retains moisture well. I plan on using the shirt for hiking the AT in the warmth of the summer.

rswanson
12-15-2006, 20:21
I own a pair of the "Heat Gear" briefs. The stay in place very well, eliminate chafing, and wick well...almost too well. The very rapid dissapation of moisture on the fabric surface almost feel like air conditioning against my skin. They're great when its hot out but its too much in cooler weather. If temps are going to be above 75 degrees, these are what I wear. The waist band is one of the few I've tried that seems to eliminate any bunching and irritation under my pack belt. Very low profile. They are a bit on the expensive side, though.

iamscottym
12-16-2006, 01:03
I swear by the stuff. I've got tights in heat and cold gear, 3x heat gear compression shorts, 3x heat gear short sleeve shirts, an all season gear mock turtleneck, and a cold gear mock turtleneck. I got hooked on TNF's stuff a few years ago, and then they stopped making it, so I had to switch to UA. I actually like it better, though it is pretty pricey.

Weldman
12-16-2006, 02:19
This stuff is great and you can get them at half price!
I get my Under Armour Cold gear shirts at Marshall's( 21.99) or T.J Maxx( 19.99) and the heat gear short sleeve shirts at Ross( 14.99)

Mike

Ramble~On
12-16-2006, 04:03
It works for me...I like to dress in a lot of layers in the winter and UA is a layer I've found I really like... Arcteryx and UA seem to be my current favorites when it comes to clothing.

TOW
12-16-2006, 10:56
Thanx guys!

anymore comments?

hopefulhiker
12-16-2006, 11:04
I used the underarmour shorts or look alikes. They help prevent chafing.

lastrada
12-16-2006, 11:18
I bought a couple Under Armour Shirts at Dicks and I really like them. They are different though, they don't have the normal polyester feel to them, they feel more like cotton, but are made of some other wicking material.

Buckles
12-16-2006, 11:36
Hardly a fad. Almost every professional and collegiate sports team is fully outfitted with Under Armour. The briefs are great. No chafing and will keep you cool. Their ColdGear line has a great compression turtleneck mock and leggings for cold weather. For many, putting on UnderArmour's compression apparel for the first time is uncomfortable, but you adjust to it after a few minutes. However, I still prefer a Patagonia Capilene LW t-shirt for warm weather hiking.

orangebug
12-16-2006, 16:49
Can't say enough about what they do for chafing. Excellent for workout clothing and base layer.

However, Duofold, Starter (Wally World) and others are similar or just as good. I think the quality of stiching is better than Duofold. They are the sort of clothing that obese people should never wear as an outer layer.

highway
12-16-2006, 17:07
The pilling factor for Duofold is horrible-my experience, anyway.

After only a few wearings the whole front of the tee shirts are full of hundreds of little fabric pills and looks awful. Sadly, they were on sale and I bought a few of thems. I want buy it again.

I have Patagonia Capilene tees that I have worn hundreds of times and still looks new enough to wander through an airport wearing it. Not so the Duofold, though.

You do in fact get what you pay for

astrogirl
12-16-2006, 23:41
I sold Under Armour on my website and sales have dropped off for this product dramatically. I believe it was a fad that was mostly popular with the younger generation (teenagers) as they saw the football players looking good in it.
It is meant to be skin tight but many complaing that it is clammy. We rarely get requests for it anymore but some will buy it when we sell it for $5 a piece.
( had some at the gathering this year for that price) we don't sell it on our site anymore.
Every year there seems to be someone hawking some spectacular new fabric that is supposed to be the perfect answer to your problem. Some live, some die. Polypro has now been around for 20+ years and still selling good.
Frogg Toggs was one that has now been around for 12 years i believe. Under Armour won't make 5.

I wear running tights to hike and I find the Underarmour version unacceptable. I was trying to figure out how to explain it, but YES, CLAMMY. That's it exactly. Also, they don't fit well. They *seem* to, but they gradually fall down and I'm always having to yank them back up. If they had a drawstring waist, I would not have that problem.

I get the best fit from Moving Comfort tights, and have them in summer and winter weights. Those might be for women only, I don't know.