PDA

View Full Version : amazing article about Americans and tv viewing habits

DavidNH
12-16-2006, 11:13
I first heard this on nbc nightly news last night (12/15). I just found the article on the net:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1972700,00.html.

On Average Americans give over two months (65 days) in a year simply to watching TV. This stretches to over 5 months when we include internet, newspapers, radio. 3518 hours in all for all media watching and listening.

This has to relate to the obesity problem in America.

Well at least if Americans are glued to the tube, my hiking trails will be less crowded!:)

it's a sad commentary that as a nation we spend more time watching TV than we do recreating!

DavidNH

DareN
12-16-2006, 11:20
I agree it's sad. And most of that time is spent watching mindless pop culture or reality shows.

Sly
12-16-2006, 11:22
Anyone watch 24 or Lost? They're awesome! :)

Frosty
12-16-2006, 12:14
Accoding to the article, Americans spend 9 times more hours in front of the TV than on the computer. They also ascribe no time to video games.

I think the numbers are in error, or their sample is faulty. They must have only surveyed people in AARP. (not that there is anything wrong with AARP)

I first heard this on nbc nightly news last night (12/15). I just found the article on the net:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1972700,00.html.

On Average Americans give over two months (65 days) in a year simply to watching TV. This stretches to over 5 months when we include internet, newspapers, radio. 3518 hours in all for all media watching and listening.

This has to relate to the obesity problem in America.

Well at least if Americans are glued to the tube, my hiking trails will be less crowded!:)

it's a sad commentary that as a nation we spend more time watching TV than we do recreating!

DavidNH

fiddlehead
12-16-2006, 13:05
Let the sheep go.
More room in the outdoors for those of us who prefer it.
It wouldn't bother me if they spent even more time in front of the idiot box.
(except 2 days ago in the waiting room at the hospital, they had every chair pointing towards the blasted thing that was turned up way too loud.) I ended up walking around and 3 times people told me to go sit down in the waiting room. uugghhhhh!

rafe
12-16-2006, 15:29

Trouble is, some of 'em vote. :eek:

bfitz
12-16-2006, 15:37
I love TV. It's some of the strangest art humanity has ever produced. It links us all together culturally in ways no other media has ever done. Silly ways most of the time, but hey, one man's silly is another mans favorite show. My top three of all time are:

1. Battlestar Galactica (the old, the new is kind of a desecration...)
2. The Incredible Hulk
3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

white rabbit
12-16-2006, 15:40
Anyone watch 24 or Lost? They're awesome! :)

Yes I do!
Lost is pretty good but 24 is great. I can't wait for it to come back on next month.

Nean
12-16-2006, 15:46
Let the sheep go.
More room in the outdoors for those of us who prefer it.
(except 2 days ago in the waiting room at the hospital, they had every chair pointing towards the blasted thing that was turned up way too loud.) I ended up walking around and 3 times people told me to go sit down in the waiting room. uugghhhhh!

Hospital???:( Hope all is well Fh