PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pad

gravityman
06-06-2003, 16:04
Well, I'm just not satisfied with my array of sleeping pads. I have three thermarests (regular, ultralight full length and ultralight 3/4) but they are all too heavy. Right now I use the full length ultralight most of the time, and the 3/4 with a detactable foot pad/butt pad other times.

I've used the z-rest, but there just wasn't enough cushion there.

Is there a solution? What do other ultralighters use?

Gravity Man

steve hiker
06-06-2003, 18:34
I've tried the Z-Rest, Ridgerest, and both combined, but I don't sleep well on them. I'm about to try a Thermarest CampLite 3/4 Length, 25 x 56 x 1.6 in, by itself with nothing else. At 1 lb. 15 oz. it's heavier than I'd prefer, but not getting a good night's sleep really hurts the next day.

Also the Camplite is 25 in. wide, which should be a plus since my arms always seem to rest on the ground when I use one of the 20-inch wide pads.

Papa Bear
06-06-2003, 21:08
I used an Ultralight 3/4 length but didn't like it - not enough cushion, and got a Guidelight 3/4 length. It's 1" thick vs. 3/4" for the Ultralight. It's better and only 4 oz. more. Now I sleep pretty well. I usually put my rain gear (Frogg Toggs) under my feet and that works OK.

I gave my Ultralight to my daughter and she's very happy. It was a win - win.

Pb

ganj
06-06-2003, 23:36
I don't think this will help you, but I used the ultralite 3/4 thermarest for the whole trail. I really found it comfortable whether I was sleeping in the shelters, tent, trail, or hostel. I don't think I would be willing to give it up for something lighter if that meant trading the comfort. I looked at other means to shave weight instead. Pack weight through the Whites (my heaviest time) with food and water probably hovered around the 25lb mark.

MadAussieInLondon
06-07-2003, 13:07
I've only and always used a foam mat, nothing fancy. dunno bout these z-rest etc foam things CD sells... I did try last week up in Scotland for the first time a 3/4 ultralite.. and I cant say I noticed a difference over a foam mat.. so.. I think on my hike next year I'll stick to the foam mat...

Kerosene
06-07-2003, 17:08
I typically use a 3/4 Ultralite with either a butt pad or clothes under my heels. Actually, I sleep quite well with that arrangement, considering I'm on a hard shelter floor. Unfortunately, this pad doesn't cut it for hammock sleeping, at least not in the shoulder seasons when I tend to hike. The 7 ounce, 1/4", extra wide closed cell foam I use for the hammock just doesn't cut it on hard ground, even if I fold it in four-thick under the hips and shoulders. I'd give a lot to cut out another quarter pound here and still get enough versatility and comfort to move from hammock to lean-to.

jojo0425
06-10-2003, 11:42
I've never tried one of these, but heard another hiker rant and rave about it. The exped sleeping mat.

http://www.exped.com

Be prepared to spend $$$, but from what I hear, it is worth it.

S.G.
Smiley Gonzalez :D

Rambler
06-16-2003, 14:49
InsulMat--Max Lite (http://hikelight.com)

Click on Sleeping gear scroll down to pads

onetake
07-08-2003, 14:38
My wife bought me a Big Agnes Air Core sleeping pad. It is looks basically like a raft that you would use in a swimming pool without the pillow at the head end. You do have to physically blow this pad up. However it is lighter (19-24oz) and more cushiony (is that a word?) than my other pad and packs down to around the size of a Nalgene bottle. Another possible downside is that since it does not have a foam core it does not provide much insulation. On their website it rates the pad at 32 degrees. Therefore, it might not be good to use in cold temperatures. But in warm temps it is truly sleeping on air.

Jumpstart
07-08-2003, 18:29
The Ridgerest is worlds away from the Z-rest. My husband used a 3/4 Ridgerest the entire trail and loved it...we heard lots of complaints about the Z-rest's cushioning. Try the Ridegrest.

gravityman
07-09-2003, 12:29
Okay, that sounds encouraging about the ridge rest. Maybe I will go to the local outfitter and take a nap! :)

Gravity man

RagingHampster
10-28-2003, 17:18
Ok heres what I got/had...

Therm-A-Rest Ultralite Full-Length
Therm-A-Rest Luxury LE
Therm-A-Rest Luxury CampRest LE
Therm-A-Rest Luxury MegaRest
Therm-A-Rest Standard 3/4
Therm-A-Rest Explorer 3/4

Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest 25
Therm-A-Rest Z-Rest
Therm-A-Rest Z-Rest 3/4
Walmart/OzarkTrails "Blue Foam Pad"

Considering comfort/lightweight, I would have to say that the inexpensive Therm-A-Rest Explorer 3/4 is the best mat. There is a major difference between a solid-core therm-a-rest, and the various "Holy" lightweight cores.

A while back I got rid of my bed and started sleeping on my pads, and yes this means I'm a sick person :p . I'm 6'1 and 230lbs, so I'm a giant oompa-loompa. While at home I could never sleep on a Z-Rest, but after a long day on the trail I find it ok when I lay my jacket down first. Oddly enough I despise the ridge-rest, it just isn't comforting enough. I can see how months of use on teh Z-Rest would destroy it, and it would definetly need replacing along the way. But at $20 for the 3/4 your not exactly going bankrupt.

The monster luxury series Therm-A-Rests are way to heavy, and I've found they develop problems fairly quickly even at home! I've had two with fabric that delaminated from the foam causing massive bubbles, along with multiple rips and tears. The "lightweight" inner foam core with it's cross-drilled holes also make for an unpleasent night sometimes. I would avoid these all together.

In the end, at home I sleep on a double stacked Z-Rest w/3/4 length Explorer, and on the trail I crash on a Z-Rest. This winter I will combine a Z-Rest and the Camp-Rest. I'm leaving for a year-long road/hiking trip, and will be using the same configuration I use at home now. Oddly enough, I stayed in Berlin New Hampshire this past weekend while up in the Whites with a younger sibling, and I couldn't sleep in my bed at the hotel! I'm so used to such a firm surface that I broke out my Z-Rest and crashed on the floor :D (<- Sick).

Hope that helps some people.

gravityman
10-28-2003, 19:09
That's a lot of sleeping on pads Raging!

I really like my ultralight thermarest full length. I have no problems sleeping on it, but I do blow it up so that it is extra hard, then let out a little air to make it perfect.

I did get a ridgerest because I also got a gearskin, and wanted the more durable pad so I didn't have to worry about putting holes in my thermarest. Unfortunately I STILL haven't taken it out backpacking. I have car-camped on it a couple of times.

I am still undecided if I like the ridgerest or not. It's not quite comfortable enough, but it almost is. I'm thinking about going with the luxury version, but it is the same weight as a 3/4 ultralight thermarest, and I just don't know that it would be as comfortable. Of course it would be full length, so I wouldn't have to add in the weight of a sit pad/foot pad. The pack under the feet doesn't cut it for me. I just kick it around.

So, I'm still torn. I'm going to wait to give the ridgerest a good tryout before I decide to return it for the luxury one...

Gravity Man

The Weasel
10-28-2003, 20:39
Many people, me included, started with inflatable pads, sometimes full length. They are so nice. Comfy. Easy to use. Compressible. Nice. Ridge Rests and similar "foamies" have absolutely no redeeming virtues, except that by going with a 3/4 Ridge Rest you save anywhere from 4 oz to a pound in weight.

Walasi-Yi sells a lot of Ridge Rests to many of those people who, me included, bitched bitterly through Georgia about weight. Every one of those nasty hills was spent calculating how I could eliminate weight....and my "comfy" inflatable was the first thing in mind.

Frankly, I was so bloody tired every night, around Erwin I even sent the Ridge Rest home. Didn't need it.

Continue the debate. Just have enough money for a "foamie" when you get to Walasi-Yi, and hope they haven't run out.

The Weasel

gravityman
10-29-2003, 11:41
We carried z-rests until NOC. One night freezing in a shelter convinced us that we needed more insolation as our z-rest (already less insolating to begin with) had significantly compressed. We bought 3/4 ultralights at NOC and carried them until Front Royal where we got off (foot neuroma). We cut up one of the z-rests to use as a foot pad.

This was fairly comfortable, but the foot pad kept sliding around. I always ment to get some velco to fasten it, but never did...

For those who are weight weenies, here are the different systems:

Ultralight full length = 29 oz., R = 2.6
Ultralight 3/4 = 18 oz., R = 2.6
Ultralight 3/4 with 4 folds of z-rest for foot pad = 22 oz, R = 2.6
Z-rest = 15 oz, R = 2.2
Z-rest 3/4 = 11 oz, R = 2.2
Ridge Rest = 14 oz, R = 2.6
Ridge Rest 3/4 = 9 oz, R = 2.6
Ridge Rest Deluxe = 18 oz, R = 3.1

So, the ridgerest is almost 1 lb lighter than the full length ultralight. That is pretty great. Now if I can only get use to sleeping on it...

Gravity Man

tlbj6142
10-29-2003, 12:07
It has been announced yet, but www.backpackinglight.com will be selling a 9oz 3/4 length inflatable pad in Q4Y03 or Q1Y04. Also, there is going to be a lighter version of the UL available soon (it was shown in recent trade shows).

Kerosene
10-29-2003, 18:29
Gravityman: Consider putting your wet hiking T-shirt or some other piece of clothing under the sit pad to keep it from sliding around under your feet. Works for me.

The Weasel
10-29-2003, 21:40
G-man, thanks!

Your listing of weight/R factors confirms what my back and butt have suspected about Ridge Rests. Not the most comfy, but tolerable, and reasonably warm. It's why I think nearly everyone that I've seen has gone to them after a few hundred miles.

The Weasel

radar
10-29-2003, 22:02
There are several messages in this thread that talk about the comfort associated with various pads while sleeping in a *shelter*. Good luck.

How about sleeping out in a tent/tarp/under the stars with a nice soft layer of duff/leaves/pine needles under your pad instead of a hard wooden floor?

For those folks complaining about a z-rest or ridgerest, is that while you were sleeping in a shelter or on the ground?

My experience was that shelters were much harder and colder than sleeping in my tent with my Ridgerest not to mention the mice, dirt, snoring, late night talkers, early morning risers, and so on that are all part of staying in a shelter.

The Weasel
10-29-2003, 22:20
Well, yeah, but if it's really cold - try Mt Rogers in July, see my pictures of the 2" of snow on the table in the Gallery - then I'm a little warmer on my Ridgerest on that crummy hard floor with all them other snorers. It's true.

the Weasel

smokymtnsteve
10-30-2003, 08:03
snorers don't bother me ..I can't hear'em.....

I use a ridgerest 3\4.